Duke4.net Forums: Game Freezes - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Freezes

User is offline   Chip 

Apparently my mod doesn't crash for TerminX...... so I guss it really is system specific!
Attached to this post are my computer's dxdialog / Eduke32.cfg / Eduke32 log from my last crash so you can get my computer details relating to the situation.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Chip: 14 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

It's not just WGR2, but I'm also getting these freezes in AMC TC. Ever since James updated something to require some EDuke32 version from this October, I've been getting freezes, three times in one map yesterday.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Oct 23 2009, 06:19 AM, said:

It's not just WGR2, but I'm also getting these freezes in AMC TC. Ever since James updated something to require some EDuke32 version from this October, I've been getting freezes, three times in one map yesterday.

Yes, it still happens a lot and it really sucks. I think the only reason it's not getting reported for vanilla Duke is that hardly anyone is playing vanilla Duke for very long sessions. We have confirmed that it happens in XP, Vista and Win7 (don't know about linux but probably it happens in all OS). Also, stopsound/stopactorsound still become broken after extended gameplay. I've managed to hide the problem somewhat by reducing my use of those commands, but it's still there.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 23 October 2009 - 06:56 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

At DT and WG, do you still get the hangs etc if you set your DirectX sound acceleration to something other that Full Acceleration? (Start, Run, DXDIAG, Sound TAB)

Ive just noticed that I had mine set for quite some time at Standard Acceleration (So I could play GTA 1) and Ive got none of these Eduke32 hangs that you and William speak of.

I'm going to put it back to full and play around in vanilla and my version of the mod I got from Will and see if there is any difference.

Extra Crap: I'm running a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit if anyone cares for that info.

User is offline   ZedDB 

I can confirm that it freezes on linux too. I've compiled the latest svn rev and It freezes now and then. Not so much in the vanilla episodes. And it doesn't output any errors to console. It just stops... I haven't had any problem like this before with eduke. And it's just eduke that has these problems.

User is offline   Sangman 

For what it's worth, I experience freezes as well.

Can the AMC team please test the AMC TC without sound/music on and see if it still crashes/freezes whatever, so we can confirm its a sound issue?

View PostThe Commander, on Oct 23 2009, 10:29 AM, said:

At DT and WG, do you still get the hangs etc if you set your DirectX sound acceleration to something other that Full Acceleration? (Start, Run, DXDIAG, Sound TAB)

I just tested on basic acceleration, and still got the crash, + a horrible annoying repeating sound Ive never encounted before.

Edit: Here is my DXDIAG

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by William Gee: 23 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I was watching Meth play WGR2, live streaming it here: http://www.livestrea.../survivalhorror

The freeze crash happened to him about ten times in the ice level. It was really disheartening to see that.

User is offline   Stabs 

well sometimes i dont get a freeze it just turns of my PC

happened in wgr2, commanders stranded mod, & eternity

happened after about 5 seconds once in the commanders standard mod

only ever happens in eduke, i can play other games for hours

So yeah, I'm also experiencing quite possibly the sound crash I witnessed on the aforementioned stream of WGRealms2, and I used the eduke32.exe DT used [although I used it to run NR as well to make sure if there'd be any differences]. After about 10-15 minutes messing around in E1L1, it locked up without any log or errors.

I decided to take after the other examples and got a DXDIAG for you to look over. Laugh at the suckiness of my system as you read it. I'll fully understand if you do. :)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 08 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDanM, on Nov 8 2009, 11:35 AM, said:

happened in wgr2, commanders stranded mod, & eternity

happened after about 5 seconds once in the commanders standard mod

only ever happens in eduke, i can play other games for hours

That's hardware related, dude. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no way for EDuke32 to cause your entire PC to hang or restart. It is 100% a hardware or driver problem, always has been, always will be.

Now, on the other hand, it's perfectly possible for Polymer to expose problems with your system configuration that would otherwise go unnoticed. It can expose horrible bugs in drivers by using modern functionality that a lot of games don't use, it can rape your GPU and CPU to the point where the voltages coming from your PSU's rails dip enough that the system reboots, it can even expose design flaws or installation problems with your video card's heatsink and fan. That last situation actually happened with Doom 3 and ATI's 9800 Pro if anyone remembers... a lot of people had issues like this until they underclocked their cards, and eventually a fixed driver was released IIRC.

Seriously, saying EDuke32 restarts your computer while everything else is fine means you just haven't found anything else that exposes the system's flaw yet. It's like having a rickety old bridge collapse under the weight of a semi and saying "but every other car that crossed it was fine!" :) Shit, maybe EDuke32 should be packaged as a system stability tester.

Anyway, on the topic of actual EDuke32 problems, can someone who gets lots of the sound related crashes post their cfg files? I'm going to play through WGR2 soon in a debugger and want a configuration that has been known to crash.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Nov 8 2009, 01:27 PM, said:

Anyway, on the topic of actual EDuke32 problems, can someone who gets lots of the sound related crashes post their cfg files? I'm going to play through WGR2 soon in a debugger and want a configuration that has been known to crash.

I'll try to get Meth's cfg's from him and send them to you next time he's online. We were watching him play and he was crashing in the ice level about every three minutes until he turned the sound off and the crashing ceased. I only get the crash rarely myself.

I have played all the way up to the snow level in WGR2 and encountered no crashes what so ever.
In fact, I can't say I have had a EDuke32 related crash in a few weeks, I can't think of anything that would be majorly different on my system compared to the people that are getting the sound crashes.

I don't know if I have put my DXDIAG up before, but i'll post it any how.

http://pastebin.com/f44b0f466

User is offline   Stabs 

time to crackout orthos + furmark together , hopefully i wont start a fire lols

User is offline   Chip 

I have some good news about my crashing occurence, I posted it in the main Eduk32 thread but here's a quick link: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=29843

Basically it appears I don't have any more audio crashing on the new build and by new build I'm refering to the latest official (not the one in WGR2 - I haven't tried that) I never changed my game's options so that .cfg file I posted above is what I was using (or at least had imported data from) However, putting up my number of sounds from 32 to 64 caused it to crash upon loading my map. I only did that one extra test before changing it but today I'll be doing more testing to see exactly how many voices I can have allowed through options before it crashes.

After forcing my computer to endure the game for a long period of time with the previous build (with sound off) after closing the game down and resuming to windows - my computer just reset! Happend only the once. I closed it down because it started to run really slow and when that happend it useually meant that Eduke32 would crash soon so I closed it down thinking I could avoid it.

there is no way for EDuke32 to cause your entire PC to hang or restart. It is 100% a hardware or driver problem, always has been, always will be.

I have an ATI card....... :)
Bad drivers aside, it is also overclocked, as well as my CPU.

This post has been edited by Chip: 09 November 2009 - 04:04 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Your stuff is probably overclocked too much. Download prime95 and have it run a torture test all night while you sleep; any errors mean your hardware is so far out of correct operating range that it's returning bogus values for math operations.

You should also download atitool and run the artifact tester for a while. Again, any errors mean your hardware is running so far out of spec that you're getting bogus results from various calculations.

Remember, these are serious hardware problems that can and will result in corruption of something at some point. In the case of your random reboot, I would start with video due to what was happening when the issue occurred. Sounds like the bogus values I mentioned came about when the GL driver was uninitializing and everything was being returned to a state suitable for normal desktop operation. One bad value in the right register and BAM, your GPU locks up or your system reboots.

I'm all for overclocking (most of the hardware I use even has a hacked BIOS to try and get that little bit more out of it) but it's definitely not something where you just change a clock speed and forget about it without some sort of rigorous testing. Remember, unless the fab happened to have very high yields of very high quality parts, your CPU or GPU is probably running at the speed its at for a reason.

Sometimes the yields are very high, resulting in GPUs or CPUs capable of operating at potentially much higher clocks being binned down just so there are mid range and low end parts to sell, but you can't count on this as fact. This is especially true of hardware that's significantly new in terms of how its manufactured... the first line of processors or video cards based on a new manufacturing process is probably going to have a lot lower yields than what's coming out of the fab after a couple of product refreshes based around the new process.

For those of you with ADD who don't want to read all that, it pretty much just means that unless the manufacturing plant was kicking total ass the exact day/week your hardware was made, a lower spec GPU or CPU probably became a lower spec part for a reason. So, watch out when you overclock. :)

User is offline   ZedDB 

I can confirm that it's probably a problem with sound on linux too. If i disable sound but keeps music on the freezes go away.

User is offline   Chip 

So, watch out when you overclock.

I'll lower my GPU then to be safe since that's the newest thing on my computer which has not been seriously tested but that system reset was a 1 off - I've never seen anything like that happen before. :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

BUMP

This bug still exists, and it is a serious problem. I feel like any mod that I make will be compromised by it, and it's killing my motivation. Here is a thread where I tried to promote WGR2 at a ZDoom forum. It got off to a promising start, but then it went off the rails when people started complaining about the sound crash: http://forum.zdoom.o...hp?f=12&t=24524

You may not hear about it every day, but it's there, and it's killing eduke.

User is offline   Spiker 

That's really annoying indeed. And it's also demotivating me from testing and making maps :lol:

This post has been edited by Spiker: 03 January 2010 - 10:40 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Are we talking about a sound crash or a sound freeze here? In any case, if anyone experiencing a crash wants to try and help, use that build: http://plagman.net/s..._1577_debug.exe. If it crashes, that build will create a .dmp file in the CWD that contains information about the crash I can hopefully use to have a better idea of what's going on. Please send these files my way once you get them.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on Jan 3 2010, 01:20 PM, said:

Are we talking about a sound crash or a sound freeze here? In any case, if anyone experiencing a crash wants to try and help, use that build: http://plagman.net/s..._1577_debug.exe. If it crashes, that build will create a .dmp file in the CWD that contains information about the crash I can hopefully use to have a better idea of what's going on. Please send these files my way once you get them.

I was talking about the sound FREEZE. So that build won't produce a .dmp file if there's a freeze?

No, it won't. I just built a special build that doesn't ever grab the mouse, which will allow you to keep using your computer while EDuke32 is frozen in the background. Just play with the keyboard until you get the sound freeze, then use this tool: http://bill.atwill.com/. Follow the steps there to generate a minidump file from EDuke32 while it's frozen. The EDuke32 build you want is: http://plagman.net/s...bug_nomouse.exe.

User is offline   MetHy 

I got a LOT of freezes when playing WGR2, so i'll try that tomorrow morning.

User is offline   supergoofy 

Plagman I will follow your advise and I will try to create minidump

I hope that this will be the end of the freeze bug

I don't even get the damn crash or freeze so I can't help. :lol:

User is offline   supergoofy 

The debug http://plagman.net/s...bug_nomouse.exe is corrupted. Please reupload

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 03 January 2010 - 05:48 PM

Sorry supergoofy and others, I forgot to tell ftp.exe that the second build I uploaded was a binary file and it got corrupted during the transfer. It's reuploaded now and I verified it works.
To answer your question supergoofy: anything works to get me the dumps, it's not sensitive like executable files so any public hosting site should be fine. Thanks a lot for your help!

I fucked up and changed my source, so Visual C++ doesn't want to read the dumps anymore. Can you guys please get dumps against this binary instead: http://plagman.net/s...bug_nomouse.exe? As supergoofy pointed out, be sure to start the game in windowed mode or you're going to be in trouble when it freezes.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options