Duke4.net Forums: Game Freezes - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Freezes

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

With recent builds both William Gee and I have been having game freezes in our WGR2 TC. The game just freezes and there is nothing in the log and no clue as to why. I have checked my code for infinite loops and found nothing suspicious. Our systems are completely different (he has XP with an ATI video card, I have Vista with an Nvidia card), so I doubt it's anything specific to our systems.

Would it be possible to make us a debug build that would spit out some useful information when a freeze occurs?

It freezes every time I do a play through, I can never properly test the mod. :o

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Unfortunately there's no instrumentation that could reliably catch hangs and print relevant information due to how hangs work. Does it go away if you disable sound/music? Does it go away if you don't enable polymer?

The crashes are in polymost. Classic mode has had crashes for a very long time in wgr2, but polymost only just started getting them.

As for the sound/music, I would have to do some tests.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I use to play 1-3 user maps per day, using a current build. I also experience occasional freezes lately. Seems to me that stability has decreased somewhat in the 1480s SVN versions.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Me too. In my computer and other computers.

This post has been edited by Ilovefoxes: 30 September 2009 - 02:48 AM

User is offline   Chip 

Like I said in the main Polymer release thread my crashes seem to only occur while sound is enabled and it appears more common the more .ogg audio is played.

I have a map which ALWAYS crashes upon start up.........unless I disable sound in which case the map loads fine and I can play through it. In this map's starting location are quite a few enemies nearby all of which will play sound files (their alerting audio is almost instantly due to them sighting their enemies) and all these sound files are .ogg!

TerminX suggested changing the audio frequencey since some multiples don't work right, doing this for me only fixes the "tic" sound from music tracks (audio linked to the "Music" settings of the game) My .ogg audio still blips though.

My tests however have been somewhat limited, I haven't tried Polymost much at all with this new build so I can't say if sound crashes that as well.

This post has been edited by Chip: 30 September 2009 - 04:43 AM

DT and I have been doing some testing with the sound of, it seems to work without crashes with no sound.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

According to WG the freeze was NOT fixed with the latest build (1524, the one that fixes a sound crash), although he says he was able to play almost two complete levels without it happening, which is longer than usual. We also still get the failure of stopsound after a while.

User is online   Gambini 

I also got some ramdom freezes. The two times i can recall happened in polymost with and without a mod. When this happens i have to press alt tab and finalize eduke32 by the task manager.

User is offline   Chip 

I decided to turn sound back on and then my game crashed....in POLYMOST!
Clearly audio is causing problems (in addition to anything else) and its centered around .ogg formats.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostChip, on Oct 7 2009, 09:44 AM, said:

I decided to turn sound back on and then my game crashed....in POLYMOST!
Clearly audio is causing problems (in addition to anything else) and its centered around .ogg formats.

And that happened with the new snapshot released 7 hours ago?

User is offline   Chip 

Yes - I've had quite a few crashes but I must admit that the game still seems more stable with sound enabled then previousaly......also I don't get the popping and ticking on .ogg sounds anymore!

First crash was after I re-enabled sound (and restarted the sound system) during an already loaded map. The game was fine (although I did think some sounds were not being played or cutting out too early) untill I pressed F5 + Shift and F5, the key combination for changing the music track. This forced the game to crash, hang there on the spot. The Eduk32 log recorded nothing past "PRESS SHIFT + F5 TO CHANGE MUSIC" which was the quote displayed.

The second crash could have been caused by anything. It was on my 3rd play through the same user map - a test map where I did 5-6 minutes of watching my actors fight each other, upon the 3rd load of the map just after selecting the skill setting and hearing Duke say "let's rock", the game then closed to desktop. The Log just said fatal signal caught - bailing out! Then quoted some of my mod's code. (In the middle of one of my actor's attack states)

The third crash happend within 1 minute of the above mentioned test map. This however was the first crash on this map since enabling sound then relaunching Eduke32 from desktop. The last times I enabled sound during the game but this time I closed the game down afterwards to save the changes. The log recorded nothing past "Loaded E1L8.map".

The forth crash was strange, first the game hung on the into-map loading screen for 15 odd seconds..... then started loading but did it very fast. At this point I wasn't ready since I assumed the game had crashes (since there was no esponse for 15 seconds) and as soon as the map loaded I pressed escape to bring up the main menu to pause the game to give my self time to get comfortable. (I know there is a pause button so don't comment on that) The thing was though - the game crashed as soon as I pressed escape. I left it for over a minute and no respose.
I was NOT playing my mod this time - just Duke3D + HRP. The log said "fatal signal caught - bailing out!.......but it didn't! The game never closed down and I had to get task manager to save me. The log's last recording was "UDP net deinitialized successfully." There was nothing past that and I did leave it for a few minutes.

The fifth crash was the same as the 3rd crash, within a minute of my test map.

My test map features a bunch of AI actors who see and attack each other (2 teams, 25 vs 25) but there are walls in the way so not all can see everyone. Upon seeing their enemy they make their alerting sound file which is a .ogg format. Typically you'll hear about 10+ .ogg sound files almost simultainiouasly. This would insta-crash on the first 2 public released builds of Polymer (whether or not Polymer was enabled) so for it to not crash instantly is great progress! But of course it'll crash a minute later......which is probably where there more sounds simultainiouasly! I'll be messing with the "number of voices" option and seeing what happens. Oh and I never had any crash like this with the non polymer builds so its not my computer giving up on life when its told to play a few sound files.

This post has been edited by Chip: 09 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Note that these probably have nothing to do with Polymer itself, but most likely with the new JAudioLib sound system that's been included in the newer builds.

I sill get lockups with wgr2 using the latest snapshots.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostWilliam Gee, on Oct 9 2009, 04:08 PM, said:

I sill get lockups with wgr2 using the latest snapshots.

Unfortunately, they still aren't occurring here and nobody other than you and Chip is reporting continued issues. Maybe the new sound system is sensitive to one of the .wav sounds in your mod? Unless you guys can give us something specific that crashes the game on our machines, running under a debugger, just saying "it locks up" or "it crashes" is really quite pointless.

Obviously, there's another bug causing lockups and crashes with sound but it's not the same bug you guys were running into before.

User is offline   Fox 

It had crashed for me until now. I downloaded the today's new snapshot, and I will check if there are still occasional crashes.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Several other people have recently reported "crashes". I would like to know whether they are FREEZES, where everything stops cold and you have to force quit (with no log errors indicating a problem).

@Ilovefoxes: What do you mean "today's" new snapshot? The last update to SVN was almost 3 days ago.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 09 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've noticed that the number of voices resets to 64 every time I start EDuke32, even if I had reduced the number in my last game. Does anyone remember what the default number of voices was before JF sound?

WG and I have noticed that the crashes are more likely to occur in levels with a lot of sounds playing at once. Then again, those are also levels with a lot of stuff going on at once period.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostDeeperThought, on Oct 10 2009, 01:51 AM, said:

@Ilovefoxes: What do you mean "today's" new snapshot? The last update to SVN was almost 3 days ago.
The ZIP last modification date is from one hours ago, I didn't looked at the exe date...

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

[quote name='DeeperThought' date='Oct 10 2009, 06:51 AM' post='28224']
Several other people have recently reported "crashes". I would like to know whether they are FREEZES, where everything stops cold and you have to force quit (with no log errors indicating a problem).
quote]
Mostly freezes.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDeeperThought, on Oct 10 2009, 12:07 AM, said:

I've noticed that the number of voices resets to 64 every time I start EDuke32, even if I had reduced the number in my last game. Does anyone remember what the default number of voices was before JF sound?

WG and I have noticed that the crashes are more likely to occur in levels with a lot of sounds playing at once. Then again, those are also levels with a lot of stuff going on at once period.

Before, it was 32, but TX raised it to 96 a month before the new JFAud was introduced.

User is offline   Fox 

Phew, it's freezing with the latest snapshot (oct 7). Usually when starting a new music (I am using OGGs), but it also occur in random events.

• el fundador

32 voices is the default, 96 is the max.

User is offline   Chip 

I thought my post was rarther informative of how and where it crashed? Well here's more:

First crash was after I re-enabled sound (and restarted the sound system) during an already loaded map. The game was fine (although I did think some sounds were not being played or cutting out too early) untill I pressed F5 + Shift and F5, the key combination for changing the music track. This forced the game to crash, hang there on the spot. The Eduk32 log recorded nothing past "PRESS SHIFT + F5 TO CHANGE MUSIC" which was the quote displayed.

This happend in my test map - the game crashed as soon as I tried to change the music track (from the dethtoll.mid to a .ogg music track) The game froze and I had to use windows to close it down. As said above, the last thing the log recorded was the quote that pops up when you press F5 (PRESS SHIFT + F5 TO CHANGE MUSIC)
The test map featured a lof of actors fighting each other, all their sounds are .ogg format since I could never get .wav to work. All in all, I would say there was a decent amount of action going on and alot of .ogg sounds being played.....then turning the music track into a .ogg format killed it!

The second crash could have been caused by anything. It was on my 3rd play through the same user map - a test map where I did 5-6 minutes of watching my actors fight each other, upon the 3rd load of the map just after selecting the skill setting and hearing Duke say "let's rock", the game then closed to desktop. The Log just said fatal signal caught - bailing out! Then quoted some of my mod's code. (In the middle of one of my actor's attack states)

The game crashed right before the loading screen and just after the end of hearing "let's rock!". The game returned me to desktop - it was a fail safe crash! As said, the log caught a fatal signal and quoted some code which had nothing to do with map loading since it was of an actor's attacking state and then the next bit after that would have been more attacking states!

The third crash happend within 1 minute of the above mentioned test map. This however was the first crash on this map since enabling sound then relaunching Eduke32 from desktop. The last times I enabled sound during the game but this time I closed the game down afterwards to save the changes. The log recorded nothing past "Loaded E1L8.map".

Because of the crashing my changed options were not being saved so I enabled sound put up the frequencey to 44something (the highest) and then closed the game to save my settings. After loading Eduke32 again and then my test map as mentioned in crash #1, the game crashed within a minute. It was a total freeze and the log got nothing after the E1L8.map (user map) line. This test map features alot of .ogg audio at once.

The forth crash was strange, first the game hung on the into-map loading screen for 15 odd seconds..... then started loading but did it very fast. At this point I wasn't ready since I assumed the game had crashes (since there was no esponse for 15 seconds) and as soon as the map loaded I pressed escape to bring up the main menu to pause the game to give my self time to get comfortable. (I know there is a pause button so don't comment on that) The thing was though - the game crashed as soon as I pressed escape. I left it for over a minute and no respose.
I was NOT playing my mod this time - just Duke3D + HRP. The log said "fatal signal caught - bailing out!.......but it didn't! The game never closed down and I had to get task manager to save me. The log's last recording was "UDP net deinitialized successfully." There was nothing past that and I did leave it for a few minutes.

This crash was not of a mod, I was playing Duke3D with HRP, the map was Deathrow (E1l3.map) I loaded a game to E1l2.map and then upon completion the loading screen between this and Deathrow was practically frozen as said above in the quote. Within like 5 seconds of Deathrow the game froze but only after I hit Escape on the keyboard. This was a freeze and had to use task manager to save me, however according to the log Eduke32 knew it has crashed and stated "bailing out" but it never.....
Its last recording was "UDP net deinitialized successfully" and lost all hope after that but apparently the next thing it would have done would have been closing all audio stuff as the next line should have been: "Uninitializing MultiVoc..." so Eduke32 crashed while trying to shut down after crashing?

Oh and while playing through E1l2.map, the pipebomb was acting very strange. You know the part where you're in the vent in the strip club and you chuck pipebombs out into that small corridor where there many Pigcops? Well my pipebombs would NOT leave the vent, they would bonuce back from nothing and at quite some speed and then bonuce through the vent. Duke was unable to pick them back up but I could detinate them and shoot them.
Basically I could not throw pipebombs out of the vent and had to jump out to face those many Pigcops!

Since all that I did encounter another crash, after loading up the game, I chose new game, selected my user map and after Duke played his "let's rock" speech. It then crashed to desktop. It was like my second crash mentioned above but it was the first map to be played that day so that destroys my pherory that this form of crash occurs only after a few play throughs. I was trying to load up my test map.
The log quoted some of my actor's code which was apart of his main seek state so it essentially recorded nothing.

I haven't been able to try more tests out by changing the audio and stuff (and quite likely wont be able now for a while - Christmas peak at work!)
As soon as I get the chance I'll post my Dxdialog in case you want to see my soundcard details (which is an onboard card) and mess around more with audio settings.
I'll also post my Eduke32.cfg file and the next crash log.

One final thing for the day - my test map (with all them .ogg playing actors) will always crash within a minute when sound is enabled, that I can reinact and I may even record a video of it!

This post has been edited by Chip: 11 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The freezes that WG and I have been getting occur even when music is off, and occur seemingly at random (i.e. not necessarily when music is being switched or anything special is happening). We only started using oggs about a week ago, and only a few of them, and the freezing predates that by a lot. WG seems to have the freezes more than I do, which suggests there is something system specific about it. AFAIK it is has never happened with sound off.

If it is the new sound code that is causing the crashes, then personally I would rather go back to the old sound code until it is fixed, and I know WG feels the same way. I don't expect that to happen, I'm just pointing out how serious the situation is for us. I wish there was some way I could help identify the problem and fix it myself, but I just don't know how.

@Chip: Having a (more or less) reproducible crash could be very useful, but instead of recording a movie of it, which is completely useless, you should send TX the materials necessary to reproduce the crash on his own system.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 11 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

User is offline   Chip 

Well I've pin pointed my audio related crashes - I changed the sample rate from 16bit to 8bit and have no problems at all with audio crashes! I've even turned up the frequencey to 44800 (what ever the highest is) and the number of voiced to 96. Still no crashes not even on my test map! So clearly 16bit sample rate was crashing the game for me, whether that's poor hardwear or something to do with Eduke32 I can't say.

However the crash between maps still occurs with or without audio. The longer the game has been running the higher the chance of it crashing. In some cases at the very start of a map (after a few play throughs) the game will hang for like a minute before resuming but after resuming it then runs like hell untill a few moments later where it will crash. Sometimes the game closes down, sometimes it hangs forever. The log also is inconsistant with its recordings after such a crash, sometimes it'll record all the closing down of all the stuff it does, sometimes it records only half the stuff to close down and other times it records nothing past "E1L8.map : USER MAP".

The crashes we are getting in wgr2 only happen with audio on.

I tested with it of, and I passed the game for the first time without a crash.
I tested with sound on and music of, still get crashes.
Sound on getting crashes.

I do get more crashes than DT, but I play test a lot more than he does, so I dunno if that means anything.
I tested at 8bit sample rate and still got the crashes.

• el fundador

Chip, please package some kind of a sample mod up that JonoF and I can use to track this issue down if you guys want this fixed. If you need somewhere to upload it, an ftp you can use will be provided.

We'd really like to stop hearing about this problem, and I'm sure those of you experiencing crashes would like them to stop, so please try and be prompt in sending along your test case. Thanks.

User is offline   Chip 

View PostTX, on Oct 13 2009, 07:54 AM, said:

Chip, please package some kind of a sample mod up that JonoF and I can use to track this issue down if you guys want this fixed. If you need somewhere to upload it, an ftp you can use will be provided.

I'll be back later on with it all, I'm hoping I can use Yousendit.com which basically just stoes stuff but sends a link to the file to a desired e-mail address.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options