Duke4.net Forums: Game Freezes - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Freezes

User is offline   MetHy 

I played for like 1hour and didn't get any crash.

This is ridiculous.

Cool, hope it helps. (y)

I played for like 1hour and didn't get any crash.

This is ridiculous.

yeah its like that, its pretty random, I'm happy I got my freez as soon as I did, hope it helps.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  crash.zip (14.31K)
    Number of downloads: 173

This post has been edited by William Gee: 03 January 2010 - 11:18 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostPlagman, on Jan 3 2010, 10:21 PM, said:

I fucked up and changed my source, so Visual C++ doesn't want to read the dumps anymore. Can you guys please get dumps against this binary instead: http://plagman.net/s...bug_nomouse.exe? As supergoofy pointed out, be sure to start the game in windowed mode or you're going to be in trouble when it freezes.

WG, was that dump captured using the new .exe linked in the above post or with the old 1577?

Yes I used 1578

User is offline   supergoofy 

@Plagman, I sent you 5 dumps with the new exe.

If you need anything else, to help you spot the bug in the code, please let me know

All the dumps you guys have submitted look identical, so it looks like there's only one problem to track down. I think I might be on to something, but I'm not sure yet. I'll let you guys know if I need more information.

Do you guys see any improvement with this build?
http://plagman.net/s...nd_deadlock.exe

Also, was there ever such a thing as a sound-related crash or was it only freezes? (a random crash that would go away when disabling sound)

I think I wrote about it in the past. When I disabled sound hardware acceleration from dxdiag, edduke32 worked ok and it didn't crash. At least in the 3-4 tests I did in the past with sound hardware acceleration disabled. I haven't tested it though much with sound hardware acceleration disabled or with sound disabled completely.

I will use -nm and -ns and will tell you.

I'm talking about a crash as opposed to a freeze (the game exiting on its own with a Windows error message).

Anyway, can you try the build I linked above with sound and acceleration enabled and see if it fixes the freezes in WGR2?

A funny thing happened: When I used -ns and -nm the sound and music were disabled. Now I replaced eduke32_1578_debug_nomouse.exe with eduke32_no_sound_deadlock.exe, launch WGR2 normally (with sound and music - using WGR2.bat), I can enable sound in options but I cannot enable music. Wtf?

I have uploaded the cfg files from WGR2. Try to enable music if you dare :lol: :lol: ;)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 04 January 2010 - 04:04 AM

Ok I played with eduke32_no_sound_deadlock.exe and a fresh copy of WGR2.
eduke32 seems stable. I played for half an hour and no freeze. Though 2-3 times eduke32 went two slow instantly (this was happened in apparent places - even in places when there were no enemies) but then it quickly went back to normal. Maybe this is irrelevant and happened because of some some other hard disk activity.

When I used -ns and -nm to launch eduke32, exit eduke32, and then relaunched eduke32 normally, I could only enable the sound from options. I couldn't enable the music. This is probably another bug :lol:

Of course I'm playing with polymost renderer.

[edit]
I played another half an hour and it didn't freeze.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 04 January 2010 - 05:39 AM

Cool, thanks a lot. WG, do you also confirm that this build fixes the freezes you were having? Please send that to whoever you know that was having them when playing WGR2 or whatever to make sure it's running stable.

User is offline   Spiker 

I've been playing it for over one hour and there is no sign of crash or freeze (Hopefully it's gone forever) but of course it needs more testing. The only thing I experienced are these one-second slowdowns which supergoofy mentioned, but thankfully they happen rarely and are no lethal :lol:

Yeah, I played 2-3 more times and it worked ok, no freeze, except the 1 sec slowdowns that happened a couple of times.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 04 January 2010 - 12:48 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It looks like we need a no mouse version of the new build. At least one person still gets lock-ups (but not as often as before):

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&...24&start=15

(Go to the end of that thread).

wow. I can't even enter a map with that new eduke32.exe. The moment I enter the map it exits out without a single crash or notice in the log. :lol: This is with either 32-bit or 8-bit software mode, on the eduke32_no_sound_deadlock.exe

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 04 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 4 2010, 03:27 PM, said:

It looks like we need a no mouse version of the new build. At least one person still gets lock-ups (but not as often as before):

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&...24&start=15

(Go to the end of that thread).

Can you make sure the guy can consistently get freezes before I try to make him jump through these hoops? I don't think the sound code has any way to deadlock without the bug I tracked down, so I suspect the freeze he got is unrelated. If he can get consistent freezes, ask him to disable sound to make sure they're sound-related.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on Jan 4 2010, 04:59 PM, said:

Can you make sure the guy can consistently get freezes before I try to make him jump through these hoops? I don't think the sound code has any way to deadlock without the bug I tracked down, so I suspect the freeze he got is unrelated. If he can get consistent freezes, ask him to disable sound to make sure they're sound-related.

It turns out he only had one lock-up after over two hours of playing, so even if it is sound related, it's not happening often enough for our purposes.

So...THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Everyone in the community owes you a debt of gratitude. This bug has been a thorn in our side for a long time.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

What exactly was changed/fixed to remedy this problem that has been plaguing us for such long time?

User is offline   Stabs 

just a thought, some people dont have this crash at all, iam wondering if they are single core users

There, release build without sound freezes:
http://dukeworld.duk.../20100104-1580/

See the ChangeLog/SVN history for more detail. This should also work around the flickering issues that ATI users are having with the latest driver and Vista/7.

Awesome, I just played it for over an hour without any freez problems, I even got to see some stuff I never saw before in wgr2, cause I got so sick of the freezes, I never even played the latest version of the game.

This will help to motivate me lots more, I really hated not being able to play wgr2 without getting feezes. Thanks alot.

User is offline   MetHy 

I've played WGR2 almost all the way through without a single crash.

In other words, a big thanks to Plagman, we can now finally play Duke3D again.

There is still the bug that when you disable music from sound options and then you want to hear music, you can't enable music again from the sound options. You have to edit the .cfg to enable the music again.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 05 January 2010 - 04:27 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I can also confirm the above bug.

User is offline   Sangman 

Well, pretty minor compared to what just got fixed so let's all dance! :lol: Thanks much Plagman!

The above is also fixed, see http://dukeworld.duk.../20100105-1581/

User is offline   Mark 

I found a fix for my sound related freeze. I have not loaded the latest version as mentioned a few posts back. The changes are coming so fast and furious so I usually wait a few weeks in between updates. I'm running version 1573 and the Polymer HRP. Things ran fine. The last couple of DukePlus versions caused slowdowns and freezes after splattering monster guts all over the place. As soon as those splatters were off screen, the sound and music clears up and FPS resumes normally. I decided to check my sound card's settings in Windows( Vista) and saw that I could bump them way up above the regular 44,100 / 16 bit. I adjusted them up to 96,000 / 24 bit and the sound problems and stuttering went away. WOO HOO

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarked, on Jan 9 2010, 06:01 PM, said:

I found a fix for my sound related freeze. I have not loaded the latest version as mentioned a few posts back. The changes are coming so fast and furious so I usually wait a few weeks in between updates. I'm running version 1573 and the Polymer HRP. Things ran fine. The last couple of DukePlus versions caused slowdowns and freezes after splattering monster guts all over the place. As soon as those splatters were off screen, the sound and music clears up and FPS resumes normally. I decided to check my sound card's settings in Windows( Vista) and saw that I could bump them way up above the regular 44,100 / 16 bit. I adjusted them up to 96,000 / 24 bit and the sound problems and stuttering went away. WOO HOO

It makes sense to wait before getting the latest update, if the update in question adds a new feature which might be buggy. But when the latest updates simply fix things, which the last few have done, then it makes no sense to wait.

Since I'm not having that problem with my jibs, and since you aren't using the latest build, I'm going to assume there is nothing for me to fix.

User is offline   Mark 

I put my sound card settings back to normal in windows. I made a new install of 1581 and DukePlus and the sound problems during heavy gibbing has disappeared. But the loss of mouse control remains for me in those places.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options