Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostForge, on 20 March 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

don't multiplay in vanilla maps

View PostRadar, on 20 March 2019 - 10:27 AM, said:

I've already said warps only affect vanilla maps. 98% of user maps have no warps.

So now I'm barred from playing all the stock maps? The very maps that everyone who plays the game are guaranteed to have? And have to rely on user maps that many people won't have? Again, unfair.

View PostHellFire, on 20 March 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

The most important warpscan be learned in like 1 or 2 minutes. I've explained them to newcomers thousand and times, we justfire acoop session and tell him to see what i'm doing on coopview, then i explain to him which keys to use and it's done, he will be perfoming then in a matter of seconds, this isnt rocket science. You may argue that you dont liek the game that way, and its fine, but why you have to be so authoritarian about it? All i'm defending is for that to be a "global " option for the future when Eduke32 gets a C/S netcode. The server could be hosted with it enabled or not, whats wrong with this?

Yeah, I don't want to play that game. But a global option would make sense. My only worry then would be how many servers would keep the old behaviour vs the new behaviour? In that light it doesn't really make sense to add the fix at all. But I understand having the fix. In the end it's Voidpoint's decision and they're going to do what they want to do. I understand the idea of having an option but I also understand why having the option could be counter-productive.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRadar, on 20 March 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

Nobody on Meltdown hates duke4.net, EDuke32, or TerminX.

Meltdown is the result of forking YANG and then failing to comply with the GPL, so there is an inherent problem here. I would call it code theft, from our friend nonetheless. Don't forget the fact that Meltdown :lol: piracy.

If Meltdown likes EDuke32 then why haven't they updated support for EDuke32-OldMP to any of Striker's new versions?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Meltdown is malware.

Poda has openly talked about the shit he can/does do to users of it, just ask him why it needs admin privileges xd

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 March 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

So now I'm barred from playing all the stock maps?

No.
You are only at a disadvantage.
adversity builds character
Deal.

unfair.

subjective and irrelevant

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostHendricks266, on 20 March 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

Meltdown is the result of forking YANG and then failing to comply with the GPL, so there is an inherent problem here. I would call it code theft, from our friend nonetheless. Don't forget the fact that Meltdown :lol: piracy.

If Meltdown likes EDuke32 then why haven't they updated support for EDuke32-OldMP to any of Striker's new versions?

I can't defend Meltdown violating the GPL. I agree with you there. But I also think it's worth clarifying that there is no "they" involved here. "They" didn't put pirated copies of each game in the Meltdown installer. Poda did. And we ask him about these things quite frequently. We bring up quite often how Meltdown shouldn't require administrator rights. And regarding EDuke32-OldMP, not only have we asked for that, but other common requests include implementing BloodGDX or NBlood, as well as reinstating XDuke which was recently removed.

This post has been edited by Radar: 20 March 2019 - 03:04 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

So now I'm barred from playing all the stock maps? The very maps that everyone who plays the game are guaranteed to have? And have to rely on user maps that many people won't have? Again, unfair.

Stock maps are not suitable for dukematch anyway. Weapons are very sparse in the original maps. E1L1 is used as a benchmark for skill simply because it is the first map in the game. I myself am not a vanilla map player.

But an experienced player will win even if he can't use warps.

This post has been edited by Radar: 20 March 2019 - 01:59 PM

Damn, I dread to think how long you had to search for a user DM map that wasn't either just a selection of unshaded Tile #0 corridors and boxes with useless items scattered willy nilly all over the shop, or else some piece of crap designed (ha, right, usually modified someone else's work poorly) to let the host win (usually with said host getting mad if you figure out how to work the map yourself).

Nonetheless, I can see how it almost does look like only oddities which lend the player an advantage are being fixed, it's not like any of the things which actually damage gameplay are being run after as of late. I don't actually think this is the case, priority is almost certainly dictated by what Ion Maiden needs at any given time and besides, I only DM in the DOS version of Duke anyway... incidentally if anyone knows of a good IPX tunneler that will run on Win9X and DOS, let me know.

I'm tempted to make a slight to the effect of; The stock maps have plenty of items, you just don't know how to lap the map to get the most use out of them, but I shan't.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 20 March 2019 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

To all the moderators and admins hanging around here:
Please do what your tag implies and move this discussion to its own thread, like" EDuke32 changes and multiplayer".

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostHigh Treason, on 20 March 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

priority is almost certainly dictated by what Ion Maiden needs at any given time

This is true, but it's also the way EDuke32 development started in the first place--priority was dictated by what I personally needed to do mod stuff I wanted to do. Now it's dictated by what Ion Maiden needs and by what annoys players enough to leave bad reviews. :lol:

These aren't bad things, however, and all of these changes are made in a way in which Duke3D is the "first-class citizen" and IM is the afterthought, despite the changes being made to improve IM in the first place. It makes a lot more sense for me to do things this way because the behavior of Duke3D is well defined whereas the behavior of IM is something I can change on a whim.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHellFire, on 19 March 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

The fuck you're talking about? Wanting to have faithful gameplay just like we have been playing it for 20+ years is "poluting the community"?

Thats a very stubborn way of seeing things hendricks, but OK, if thats how eduke team thinks, then so be it.

You're right, sorry. What I said doesn't read back with the tone I had in my head when writing it.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostRadar, on 20 March 2019 - 04:33 AM, said:

I just think it's funny how we're saying: screw the warps, only people on Meltdown use them. But the decades old sprite ladder exploit, we'll take that on a case-by-case basis. The EDuke32 devs definitely know where their bread is buttered.

I realize I'm barking up the wrong tree, but I think the matter is about map intent. Vanilla maps never intended to have this warping effect. User maps with sprite ladders did. Sure the game code wasn't built for it, but from the user's perspective, the map itself is the part they'll be thinking around and actually playing. So that's what I think they mean when it's case by case, versus the warping which is very clearly not intended in either code or design.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I get it and that's a fair argument.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I'm perfectly fine without the warps for more reasons than one, and a big one is that I no longer have to fight with the map's layout when designing a map to prevent odd clipping from happening. The other is, I've never been much of a fan of those kinds of exploits in a competitive multiplayer scene. Advanced movement is one thing, but straight up glitching through things, teleporting, and/or disappearing inside of things is another.

As for sprite ladders, I hope something can be done to make sure they still work perfectly fine, or at least a means of flagging our sprites for specific collision behavior.

This post has been edited by Striker: 20 March 2019 - 06:33 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHigh Treason, on 20 March 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

Damn, I dread to think how long you had to search for a user DM map that wasn't either just a selection of unshaded Tile #0 corridors and boxes with useless items scattered willy nilly all over the shop, or else some piece of crap designed (ha, right, usually modified someone else's work poorly) to let the host win (usually with said host getting mad if you figure out how to work the map yourself).

DmDucts (the very best)
Krachtest
Library (the one made by someone from Sunstorm, looks like it might be Travis), the original version, not the DX version Megaton comes with in which balanced is fucked

Courette
Daisy II
DK3
Entrepot (by the same author as these last 3 iirc)

Alcatraz (great if you have 4 players or more)
WGCityDM (same)

Night&Day
Chuckles and Cigam are also decent
There was also one called Hexy, Hexi or something (it was a map with 4 vats of water/acid; surrounded by glass windows and corridors with teleporters behind; all connected by an overwater area)

and of course yours truly Atomic Bunker and Canyon Bunker

There, that's 14 maps; and I know I'm forgetting some.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 March 2019 - 12:49 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Yeah at first I didn't want to bother responding to that, but I can't help myself lol. I'm highly interested in what map pack he was looking at that had maps with only texture #0 pasted everywhere. I know there are packs with hundreds of maps where 95% of them suck, but it doesn't mean we play those maps. Some of the classics are maps like iod2, danzig66, and if you want to be "edgy" (literally, lol), there's ledgesb1. (And for those who complain about ledges, keep in mind it's a map with no warps or secrets.)

This post has been edited by Radar: 21 March 2019 - 03:15 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostNinety-Six, on 20 March 2019 - 04:26 PM, said:

I realize I'm barking up the wrong tree

Yeah, the changes that fix the player clipping through walls and into other sectors are actually completely different from the changes that could potentially prevent a sprite ladder constructed in a certain way from working. The former was an engine bug and the latter was just poor design in Duke3D-specific code.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Guess the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

User is online   ck3D 

View Postoasiz, on 20 March 2019 - 11:35 AM, said:

Posted Image

Between this post and Slum Noir, I just can't seem to decide which output of yours I love the most.

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postbrullov, on 21 March 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

Guess the engine.
*snip*

This post has been edited by Jblade: 21 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postbrullov, on 21 March 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

Guess the engine.

https://i.imgur.com/NrXbs5I.png

https://i.imgur.com/4xRaeOa.png

Spoiler

Build? :lol:

This looks really cool, though if I had to nitpick, the difference in pixel density bothers me a little. Half of the textures look "low-res" while the other half doesn't, which could probably be easily fixed by using a bigger repeat on that first half.
Also, if it's supposed to be a remake of The Abyss, the cool thing about that room was the moving sectors, and I see no indication of that here.

Hope we get to play this at some point!

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Casual discussion about RR ROR with me and methy lead to Nuke.YKT to come in and drop the microphone by telling that SE40 actually existed already in 1.5 duke, meaning that DOS 1.5 Duke can actually do ROR.

Posted Image

I haven't seen anyone mention this before..

And no, it doesn't work in 1.3 at least.. maybe 1.4 ?

User is offline   NY00123 

View Postoasiz, on 01 April 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

Casual discussion about RR ROR with me and methy lead to Nuke.YKT to come in and drop the microphone by telling that SE40 actually existed already in 1.5 duke, meaning that DOS 1.5 Duke can actually do ROR.

It is surely interesting to discover something which was actually around for all of these years.

And no, it doesn't work in 1.3 at least.. maybe 1.4 ?

I confirm that it doesn't work in 1.4, either.

On a relevant note, a few of you may recall that I took the public Enhanced Duke 2.0/2.1 sources, and modified them to cover sources which are 100% equivalent in behaviors to Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition v1.5.

Not that long later, though, Nuke.YKT suggested me to check the "extras" dir from the GPLed Duke3D sources of 2003. These include that same se40.c file which I think that at least a few should remember.

As it turned out, "extras" contains *exactly* the code for v1.5! And, even GAME.C itself has a few SE40-related routines. So while se40.c itself might not be present in the 1.5 EXE at all, there's still some (partially) working code, which is surely something.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 01 April 2019 - 12:43 PM

User is offline   Usurper 

• Hates Twitter

This built-in room over room stuff was found pretty much immediately after the Duke3D source code came out. I recall it being slightly improved in the CDuke3D port by Colourless, which dates back to April of 2003.

User is offline   MetHy 

You're right, EDuke32's sample folder comes with an example of it; but I always assumed it was an EDuke32 addition, not something possible in 1.5.
There is no mention of it on the infosuite or any tutorial to my knowldge outside of that sample folder, or any map that I know of which used it; even those dating from after 2003.

It's still quite a shock to find out 1.5 was capable of the exact same kind of RoR that RR:RA does, the only difference being that hitscan doesn't go through the RoR surface. Common widespread knowledge has it that Duke doesn't have RoR, unlike Blood, Shadow Warrior, etc it's just as big to me as finding out about slopes in Powerslave.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 03 April 2019 - 04:20 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is this that effect where you can see into rooms that are completely disconnected in geometry?

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Spent whole day on this, just having fun. Still WIP, but playable. I also want to rework the lightning of this scene.

Posted Image

Spoiler

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostRadar, on 03 April 2019 - 05:04 AM, said:

Is this that effect where you can see into rooms that are completely disconnected in geometry?

More of a hack than an effect XD

It's as you say, you can see/move through floors and ceilings that are not actually connected in the map. Much like the se7 teleporter the se40 sprite will teleport you to the other sector, but it does more too, se40s will cause the other sector to be duplicated and shifted at runtime to actually exist above/below it's connecting sector. When the renderer encounters a ROR tagged sector it first draws the adjoining sector then calls drawroom again and draws your normal scene with the tagged floor/ceiling removed so you can see the other sector in what would normally be void space and cause a hall of mirrors.... I dealt with these in that SW M32 project I had a while back.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Blood / SW / Duke1.5 / RR etc.. are just projection hacks with different varieties.
Duke's version is indeed limited but like Methy said, it's crazy that nobody seems to document it despite allowing tons of new possibilities visually.

RR has one extra form of this as it can do multipass rendering and actually project off-map objects in to play field.

Generally it just boils to this:
> Render foreign sector
> Render main sector
Bits that connect to foreign sector are NULL in the main sector.
End result is the same as using two photoshop layers where you have a cut-out on the main area to where the secondary area is seen.
Exact same logic is used with mirrors, except that this is placed opposite to the player and doesn't take this concept vertical.

RR's 3D multipass does the opposite and renders the player view first and then appends these additional camera snaps in one by one with a specific rendering order, i.e. a floating cube could be 2-3 passes with few faces being rendered at a time and rest are textured "null".

All ROR methods still rely on some anchor point and a camera.
You still had the problem of actually moving objects between these areas since they were fundamentally still just rooms with a garbled floor/ceiling texture. Relocating sectors physically allows something similar such as powerslave where you just flip the "current sector" while keeping x/y/z coordinates and velocities intact.
Not relocating will require something similar to SE7 underwater transitions (teleportation) and in some cases no logic is really needed as the whole projection can just be visual only (like a skybox). Each game had their own share of additional hacks to make the game play as seamless as possible between these disconnected areas, i.e. do enemies see you throught them.

These are all still game side hacks and BUILD never supported any form of ROR until TROR.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

just a little spoiler for the Oblivion TC improvement

E2L1's beginning where were in warp inside the small ship
I used the AMC TC skybox trick, TROR and etc.
you know the SE lotag 80 skybox thingy

Makes the warp effect look damn cool (cooler than the old Oblivion TC warp sequence of E2L1)

and once the warp halts, I used the
setsector[THISACTOR].floorpicnum and ceilingpicnum to change the skybox sector into an ordinary space skybox

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options