Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Mark 

About all I can suggest is to put on a different skin on the lamp so the skin and shadow don't contrast so much.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Open the md3 in nyphernos compiler and it has an option to redo the normals, worth a shot.

ps, what model program and exporter did this come from?

User is offline   David B. 

View PostDrek, on 27 July 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Open the md3 in nyphernos compiler and it has an option to redo the normals, worth a shot.

3ds max. The normals rebuild has given results, no more light casted on the wrong faces and better rendering.
Edit : look the table and lamp. I don't have done the bed nor the stores yet.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0002.png

This post has been edited by David B.: 27 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDavid B., on 27 July 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

3ds max. The normals rebuild has given results, no more light casted on the wrong faces and better rendering.
Edit : look the table and lamp. I don't have done the bed nor the stores yet.

Nice use of a point light to emulate global illumination. Features like that go a long way to making scenes look more interesting. Ideally it'd be built into the renderer itself, although that's not going to happen any time soon.

Here's a little bit from a map I've been working on for several years now. I'm getting close to the end, and I'm hoping for a Christmas Eve release for it. It's supposed to be in the same vein as Penthouse Paradise.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

NSFW
Spoiler

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDrek, on 27 July 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

There is a line in Polymer:

// normal extraction from packed spherical coordinates
            // FIXME: swapping lat and lng because of npherno's compiler
            uint8_t lat = xyzn.nlng;
            uint8_t lng = xyzn.nlat;

In theory, it should be better to keep the normals that your 3D modelling program exports than "rebuild" them, but this line frustrates me because it implies 1) you must run all models through NMD3C for them to look right in Polymer 2) said models are then harmed from their creator's intent.

David, could you send me a copy of the model MD3 that exhibits the problem in-game?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Normals have become a lot more important in recent years, with work done on games like Alien Isolation and Star Citizen. You can get a lot of your main body shading done with slightly higher poly geometry and just use normal maps for surface detail rather than getting your shapes right.

Posted Image

We tried some of that on the HHR mod, but having to shoot MD3's through NPherno buggered that all up :'(

• Weaponized Autism

TM, if you or anyone could send me an MD3 and skin(s) not run through NMD3C that has normals that should work right but don't, I suspect that adding a def token to avoid this frustrating behavior above will fix the issue. I just need a test case.

User is offline   Mark 

We had trouble with so many models in our project and I have forgotten which ones we ran through NPherno and which ones did not. In some cases when Npherno didn't help, we put back in the original model. Sometimes we left the NPherno one in if we thought there was no harm done. I'll take a look through the map and see if I can come up with a candidate for checking. I hope we didn't decide to trash the ones we had the most trouble with. Hopefully TM and I can find a good one for testing.

On the down side, since we have no idea which ran through NPherno for sure it might be difficult to know which ones may get goofed up with your fix. I guess we'll find out.

We'll send the guy that was in the pic for our original bug report. To be sure its the original, not NPherno one TM will need to send the model and skins from his HD.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 July 2017 - 10:58 AM

• Weaponized Autism

The simpler, the better, which is why the pre-NPherno version of David's prop or something similar would be an ideal test case.

View PostHendricks266, on 28 July 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

The simpler, the better, which is why the pre-NPherno version of David's prop or something similar would be an ideal test case.
I have sent a PM to you : )

BTW, I have finally rebuild the normals on a lot of models and I'm reporting it's improving sucessfully the rendering on each one.
In fact I have never had a single right shadow cast on a model before, so drawing my attention to this trick is really good for me.

This post has been edited by David B.: 28 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDavid B., on 28 July 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

I have sent a PM to you : )

BTW, I have finally rebuild the normals on a lot of models and I'm reporting it's improving sucessfully the rendering on each one.
In fact I have never had a single right shadow cast on a model before, so drawing my attention to this trick is really good for me.

I sent you an email.

BTW, hang on to the original versions of your MD3s, I bet they will look better with my fix (if I can figure it out) than NPherno throwing the original data away and inventing its own.

• Polymancer

I heard from Mark first before reading this thread (been busy today). I've PM'd you a dropbox link to the test case model we discussed from HHR - NonPherno'd. Exported directly from Blender.

Pretty much everything in the mod has been fed through NPherno at the moment. There might be a few that haven't, but I can't recall which one, there are literally hundreds of the damn things.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 28 July 2017 - 11:51 AM

Shortly, rebuild normals seems to be a primordial step (which I never did before) when converting a 3DS model to md3 :

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: example.jpg

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTea Monster, on 28 July 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

I heard from Mark first before reading this thread (been busy today). I've PM'd you a dropbox link to the test case model we discussed from HHR - NonPherno'd. Exported directly from Blender.

Pretty much everything in the mod has been fed through NPherno at the moment. There might be a few that haven't, but I can't recall which one, there are literally hundreds of the damn things.

Are you using the exporter from our latest conversation? The one with the inverted normal matrix.

I'd like to know once this gets set right if that fix was proper.

This post has been edited by Drek: 28 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

• Polymancer

To be honest, Blender has been updated a few times and I've downloaded it a few times. It should be, but I can't promise.

Is it the one at the head of your exporter thread?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 28 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

View PostDrek, on 28 July 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Are you using the exporter from our latest conversation? The one with the inverted normal matrix.

I'd like to know once this gets set right if that fix was proper.
I'm not using any plugin for 3ds max allowing to export md3 files. There are exported in 3DS format and imported into Nphernos compiler.
I had a look and find this on the web : 3ds Max Quake III MD3 Exporter Multi-Version Pack 2.3. but not using it yet.
Is it important to export md3 files earlier from the 3D sofware ?

This post has been edited by David B.: 28 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

https://drive.google...E1DUmprN3M/view

I don't think I posted it there yet because I was still having issues with the normals on my end. Here it is, this is still in testing.

View PostDrek, on 28 July 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

https://drive.google...E1DUmprN3M/view

I don't think I posted it there yet because I was still having issues with the normals on my end. Here it is, this is still in testing.
Sorry for asking that but where to use it ?

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostDavid B., on 28 July 2017 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm not using any plugin for 3ds max allowing to export md3 files. There are exported in 3DS format and imported into Nphernos compiler.
I had a look and find this on the web : 3ds Max Quake III MD3 Exporter Multi-Version Pack 2.3. but not using it yet.
Is it important to export md3 files earlier from the 3D sofware ?

I have no experience with 3dsmax, I was intending to ask TM with my post but your post got in between his and mine confusing the discussion, sorry.

Switch to Blender :thumbsup:

• Polymancer

I'll check it out tomorrow as it's nearly 10 here. Thanks.

David B. - that's a Blender plugin exporter. It won't work with Max.

Converting using NPherno should work great for most stuff. I don't even know if MD3 even supports refined control of normals for the kind of stuff I posted earlier. But people have been making models that work in EDuke for years using that method.

I have a copy Max that I can test things with if you want to. Bear in mind that I'm kind of busy at the moment though.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 28 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostDavid B., on 28 July 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Sorry for asking that but where to use it ?

Your posts keep popping in while I'm typing lol.

That link is for blender, it's an exporter I sometimes work on.

• Polymancer

Drek - The big problem I have is testing your exporter. The only thing I know that reads MD3's is EDuke, Misfit and NPherno. The latest version of Blender dosen't have a working importer.

This is part of the reason that I was arguing for a more popular model format.

• Weaponized Autism

NPherno itself is a great tool. It's just that according to that comment Plagman wrote, its Rebuild Normals function is bugged, and Polymer seems to depend on that buggy output for "compatibility".

View PostTea Monster, on 28 July 2017 - 12:16 PM, said:

I'll check it out tomorrow as it's nearly 10 here. Thanks.

David B. - that's a Blender plugin exporter. It won't work with Max.

Converting using NPherno should work great for most stuff. I don't even know if MD3 even supports refined control of normals for the kind of stuff I posted earlier. But people have been making models that work in EDuke for years using that method.

I have a copy Max that I can test things with if you want to. Bear in mind that I'm kind of busy at the moment though.
dont worry I'll try it myself in the next days....

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostTea Monster, on 28 July 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Drek - The big problem I have is testing your exporter. The only thing I know that reads MD3's is EDuke, Misfit and NPherno. The latest version of Blender dosen't have a working importer.

This is part of the reason that I was arguing for a more popular model format.

There is an importer that works for 2.7+ not too old at all, are you only aware of the much older 2.49 importer.

https://wiki.blender...port-Export/MD3
* I think this is the one I use.

• Polymancer

It imports, but there is a huge bug in the exporter. I think it's something like it won't name frames or something like that, I can't remember specifically, it's been a while.

It clashes with yours, which works, so I never really messed around with it.

Also, beware of Noesis - It's a great tool, but sometimes it flips the UVs vertically when converting.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 28 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Luckily the UV flip is just a 1 click fix in my modeling program. I'm sure it must be the same for others.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

User is offline   CruX 

with this freezethrower replacement, Duke will command a new level of respect from his enemies. Why, they'll even have the courtesy to stay dead after he kills them!

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options