Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostEmericaSkater, on 18 July 2012 - 09:18 AM, said:

roger that

This post has been edited by Gambini: 21 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

Node building, saving, and loading is done. A* is done, at least until I put it to use and need to refine it. I went ahead and knocked out a really simple path smoothing loop. Basically, if node n can see node n+2, it drops node n+1 from the path. Then recurses that over and over until no node can see more than 1 node ahead of itself.

Or in visual terms, it turns my last set of screenshots into this (red health can be ignored, I should have turned it off but I forgot). You can follow straight lines from one blue health to the next:

Spoiler

I'm not sure I really like this in practice though, since in theory it could path itself into a corner or get caught on geometry. What I will probably end up doing is smoothing the path as it traverses it and only look a few steps ahead. Unfortunately there aren't per-actor arrays, so I'm not totally sure how I'm going to save individual actors' paths just yet.

One problem I've already noticed is that the pathfinding can't look beyond doors, elevators, or really any change in height that's a game mechanic and not just a normal wall or cliff. I may consider letting it look through walls when A* hits a dead end. Going to just have to trial and error that. The first problem I can think of is really thin walls will get seen through and give very incorrect paths. I wish there was a way to ignore sectors with SE or something. I'm sure I could come up with a really ugly fix, like making doors try to match their surrounding sectors' floor and ceiling heights during the 1 frame where it checks paths. I don't wanna think about that right now though.

All I need to do now is actual path traversal, that should be pretty easy. Probably gonna attempt that next week.

User is offline   Mark 

I wish I would have tried this smaller, indoor mapping first instead of the large and open outdoor maps. This goes a lot quicker and is more satisfying ( so far ) :( This is a pic of the generator room from my moonbase map, an extended version of the first level of Doom 2. They are heavily compressed jpgs but still look good.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: capt0001.jpg

This post has been edited by Marked: 22 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMarked, on 22 July 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

I wish I would have tried this smaller, indoor mapping first instead of the large and open outdoor maps. This goes a lot quicker and is more satisfying ( so far ) :( This is a pic of the generator room from my moonbase map, an extended version of the first level of Doom 2. They are heavily compressed jpgs but still look good.
I can sense a super trooper behind the corner...

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That is pretty nice.

I'm not even working on anything at this very monent, I am scratching my head instead, I can NOT access MediaFire and I have a nasty feeling it might be on the list of sites my ISP is blocking now as I can't seem to get around the problem without using a proxy and sending large amounts of data over proxies makes them start asking questions moreso than heavy use of mediafire would. I'll find a workaround soon.

Posted Image
Because this is ready!

@Reaper_Man; Well, that's my AI beat, now I'm gonna make it follow a path off a cliff just so it knows.

@Marked; That's looking good, that industrial style is something I always have trouble pulling off so I leave it alone, but I love seeing it in other people's maps.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Cool, High Treason!

I once had a notion of recreating the Duke Nukem II OST in rock format. The solos in KICKBUTA are just too difficult for me, though. I did recreate BEGONEA though with an old retro Korg Wavestation VSTi. Just for fun.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

View PostHigh Treason, on 23 July 2012 - 05:13 AM, said:

@Reaper_Man; Well, that's my AI beat, now I'm gonna make it follow a path off a cliff just so it knows.

Easy there killer, so far I just have pathfinding done. What is your AI project? In theory you should be able to drop my A* into any existing enemy code. All my code does is return a path from point A to point B. Whatever the actor does with that information is up to them.

View PostMarked, on 22 July 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

That is some good looking room. And ditto about small sections are easier and more rewarding. Usually large locations demand some majestuosity that is quite a pain in the ass to achieve, unless you are in a brillant day.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

With CBP 8 out of the way, I can go back to my other projects like the Quake map. The (wip) castle exterior is nothing special by today's standards but shouldn't be too far off 1996 Quake standards. The interior is almost finished, and the surprising thing is I find myself building in a strange quake/WGRealms 2 (at least my style of it) hybrid manner, which is probably a good thing because the next WGRealms 2 version won't come out this year. The castle makes up the middle third of the map.

The framerate is really good (polymer in mapster has almost half the eduke framerate.)

Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Is this using WGR2 resources or Eduke with some custom stuff?

• Honored Donor

Neither, it's using Zykov Eddy's Quake TC demo. I thought it was a lot of work to just end up with one level, and I thought it deserved something that neared its full potential of lighting and TROR.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Attached Image: pigglywiggly.png

Working on a Dual Pistol standard Pig Cop. He'll be just like the original, but with a different attack (obviously). When he dies he drops one of the 2 pistols.

Yes I'm using the Total Meltdown Pigs as a base for this.

Have been thinking on that idea of the DNF ala 1997 we used to discuss (anyone remember the damn thread?).

I did these tiles, they´re saved in Duke´s 8bit palette. I´d like to team up with whoever said being willing to work on that project, but in case (and most likely) the idea ends in nothing...

Oh, the watertower thing is based on this screenshot:

Posted Image

(oh, in case someone wants to use them: I´m the kind of person that likes to be credited)

EDIT: This was supposed to be posted in the community stockpile thread. Well, nobody cared anyway.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Assaultrifle_2.png
  • Attached Image: tower_Morningwood.png
  • Attached Image: tower_generic.png

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

User is offline   thatguy 

Anyone demaking DN4 in the DN3d engine?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Why would you bother polishing a turd?

Punchy phrasing aside, even though DNF is ok, there is nothing to be gained from a backport. And Gearbox would eat our lunch.

User is offline   CruX 

View Postgerolf, on 31 July 2012 - 12:10 PM, said:

Attachment pigglywiggly.png

Working on a Dual Pistol standard Pig Cop. He'll be just like the original, but with a different attack (obviously). When he dies he drops one of the 2 pistols.

Yes I'm using the Total Meltdown Pigs as a base for this.

Really impressive stuff!

User is offline   thatguy 

View PostHendricks266, on 02 August 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

Why would you bother polishing a turd?

Punchy phrasing aside, even though DNF is ok, there is nothing to be gained from a backport. And Gearbox would eat our lunch.

I don't know, a project that turns DNF into something reminiscent to the gameplay and level design of DNF, with the addition/majority of content from the 2001 version and not the shitty release copy. I think it would be an amusing project.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I'd rather see a DNF 1998 project. If it was 8bit, I seriously doubt I could refrain from helping in whatever bumbling manner I could. It'd also be less likely to be C&D'ed.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 03 August 2012 - 01:19 PM

I can´t fucking find the thread where me and some other guys discussed the idea. My vision of it is How DNF would be if it were released in 1997/98. And with that I mean using strictly what would´ve been available back then. Call it SW/Blood technology, if any. Some new feature here and there to spice the thing, and exclusively fitting new art (only the necessary). Ah.. It should be a relatively quick project, ala Metropolitan Mayhem.

EDIT: Oh and, if I´d lead it, I would not hesitate to call it Duke Nukem Forever. Gearbox can eat that sweaty thing in my gotch after a summer day of work.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 03 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

• Honored Donor

New fan made AMC TC trailers! They show glimpes of episode 2!

Well, they're made by me and I'm working on the project, but they're still "fan" trailers, mostly because they parody the Avengers trailers (which I used the audio for), in a similar way that my WGRealms 2 map trailer parodies the DNF reveal trailer. , so don't take them seriously! They're meant to be light hearted fun rather than official trailers.
I like the second one more, but watch them in order.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 06 August 2012 - 03:45 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

View PostEmericaSkater, on 03 August 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

Really impressive stuff!

Thanks ;)

Gambini, that's a nice M-16 edit. Maybe pixelate the gun part a little more?

• Honored Donor

Did someone say "moonbase consisting of domed segments"?

Posted Image
Posted Image

Just familiarizing myself with using the TROR bubble in practical map situations. This is a test map and so far it's using about 800 walls just for the 3D domes and basic surroundings. Right now I could fill those giant rooms with sectors, and create windows/doors to the lunar landscape outside if I wanted to. It would be pretty sweet to eventually have a largish base consisting of multiple domes and 2-way trains/subways to connect them. It'll be a long time before I can properly work on such a map though Posted Image

P.s this thread is getting boring, people need to post more stuff. Where's Marked when you need him?

User is offline   CruX 

View PostMicky C, on 06 August 2012 - 03:43 AM, said:

New fan made AMC TC trailers! They show glimpes of episode 2!

Well, they're made by me and I'm working on the project, but they're still "fan" trailers, mostly because they parody the Avengers trailers (which I used the audio for), in a similar way that my WGRealms 2 map trailer parodies the DNF reveal trailer. , so don't take them seriously! They're meant to be light hearted fun rather than official trailers.
I like the second one more, but watch them in order.

Okay, the camera really should've been focusing on Mikko during that "genius billionaire playboy philanthropist" line, given his personality and the theme of his level.
...I dunno about the philanthropist part, but the rest of it fits the bill.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMicky C, on 08 August 2012 - 05:20 AM, said:

P.s this thread is getting boring, people need to post more stuff. Where's Marked when you need him?

I think the Mblackwell might release another pic or 2 in the near future to let people know that our work continues on his Project Blue Skies TC. I have already shown a few pics from Decay so I'm holding off on more for now. And I haven't done much lately with my Graveyard TC to show off other than testing out some new textures and normal maps for them. I've recently showed a few from my Dukeplus Moonbase map. I don't recall if I posted anything from 2 maps I'm doing to hopefully be included in the next enhancement of WGR2. ( if I ever finish them )

I'll find something to post for my adoring fans. ( all 3 or 4 of them ) ;)

This post has been edited by Marked: 08 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostMarked, on 08 August 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

I think the Mblackwell might release another pic or 2 in the near future to let people know that our work continues on his Project Blue Skies TC. I have already shown a few pics from Decay so I'm holding off on more for now. And I haven't done much lately with my Graveyard TC to show off. I've recently showed a few from my Dukeplus Moonbase map. I don't recall if I posted anything from 2 maps I'm doing to hopefully be included in the next enhancement of WGR2. ( if I ever finish them )

I'll find something to post for my adoring fans. ( all 3 or 4 of them ) ;)

Ha! Yeah hopefully in the near future we can have some PBS screens. I sent a call out to the team members to send me shots and I'll take a couple of those and post them online.

User is offline   Mark 

Well, here is something minor to show. A testing of a brick texture with normal and spec maps. After a little more tweaking I'll release it in the resources thread with a few others.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0003.jpg

Looks reaally good!!

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

View PostMarked, on 08 August 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

A testing of a brick texture with normal and spec maps.

Have a look at this guys work.

http://nobiax.deviantart.com/

He's got quite a lot of textures with normal and spec maps and some models.
And he releases his stuff (not certain if all of it but most) as public domain.

This post has been edited by chicken: 09 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   sedition 

View PostMarked, on 08 August 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Well, here is something minor to show. A testing of a brick texture with normal and spec maps. After a little more tweaking I'll release it in the resources thread with a few others.

What program do you use for creating the normal/specular maps? I´m using Crazybump right now, but I´m not sure if there may be an better program.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options