Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 328 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   quakis 

I too would love a feature in mapster to manually assign sectors into named groups that I can show/hide on a whim (from a list? & info stored like maptags?) when working with SOS or TROR. The auto-greyout feature for TROR works great so long as sector heights are parallel to the TROR bunches, but doing anything more complex where that isn't possible is a recipe for headaches to bother attempting. Had to scrap some ideas because I spent more time fighting with the editor than doing anything else. :'D

User is offline   Merlijn 

That's a wrap for Shaky Grounds 4, the map is done with about 300 walls left (in case I need them).

Next stop: boss map! At this point I'm considering adding a secret map as well, although it depends on how smooth the boss map goes.
If I add a secret map, it would nicely mirror LA Meltdown (5 regular maps and 1 secret)

Some final shots of SG4, I'll probably won't share any of the boss map.
1. Another sneak peak of The Kompleks, slightly different angle
2. The red room I posted before, now finished
3. Part of Froyd Eenakee's secret base

Attached Image: duke0201.png
Attached Image: duke0202.png
Attached Image: duke0203.png

User is online   ck3D 

Amazing news and stellar shots. Between that and Maarten's new map (which I beta tested last night and I can only tease by saying it's really amazing), and Aleks and William's respective comebacks to the scene, right now is such exciting times!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 01 June 2021 - 12:59 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View Postck3D, on 01 June 2021 - 12:58 PM, said:

right now is such exciting times!

It really is, though. And of course, humble as you are, you neglected to mention your own Blast Radius. It might not be as close to completion, but currently we are living in one of the busiest eras we've had for Duke mapping.

Add on top of that the increase in cross-posting that's been going on showing us things like Michael Hunt's series and Downtown Journey, and TCs like the newest release of Alien Armageddon, Demon Throne's full release back in October, and altogether what we have is from about the second half of 2020 to now and the forseeable future, there is a lot more activity than we've seen in years.

It's a good time to be a fan of Duke 3D. Gearbox might have let its birthday come and go but either by miraculous coincidence or the aforementioned neglect prompting a rise, you guys have really picked up the slack they left behind and are giving Duke a really good year so far.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Mister Sinister's project as well. There's so much to be hype about right now.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 01 June 2021 - 02:00 PM

View PostNinety-Six, on 01 June 2021 - 01:58 PM, said:

There's so much to be hype about right now.

I know, right? I think that, any time now, there's going to just be a huge fucking explosion of awesome content from all these people all at once. (Seriously. By the time I reached the end of SG3, my mind was just blown away even more than the damn buildings. I'm struggling to even imagine what SG4 would have to be like for it to be awesome enough to belong with what's already been released.)

This post has been edited by ToiletDuck64: 01 June 2021 - 06:27 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Thanks guys!

And yes, the community is really on fire at the moment! So much cool stuff is being worked on right now. We even notice it with Alien Armageddon, more mappers are joining in to create content.
It's probably a combo of the lockdowns (more time to spend at home), Duke being 25 years old and Gearbox dropping the ball.

By the time I reached the end of SG3, my mind was just blown away even more than the damn buildings.

That's always cool to hear, thanks ^_^

User is offline   jimbob 

working on a bazooka, not happy with the perspective so im going to re-do it tomorow but you get the idea. atleast it goes floomp and blows stuff up :P

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.png

User is offline   Seb Luca 

Little walk on a sunny day :)

https://www.sebluca.com/LETUEUR/projet2/bunkerext.png

User is offline   taivo30 

View PostMerlijn, on 01 June 2021 - 11:44 AM, said:

That's a wrap for Shaky Grounds 4, the map is done with about 300 walls left (in case I need them).

Next stop: boss map! At this point I'm considering adding a secret map as well, although it depends on how smooth the boss map goes.
If I add a secret map, it would nicely mirror LA Meltdown (5 regular maps and 1 secret)

Some final shots of SG4, I'll probably won't share any of the boss map.
1. Another sneak peak of The Kompleks, slightly different angle
2. The red room I posted before, now finished
3. Part of Froyd Eenakee's secret base

duke0201.png
duke0202.png
duke0203.png

Great looking screens! Looking forward to playing the maps

User is offline   jimbob 

putting the finishing touches on the WW2 mod Operation Mallard's episode 1, and begun production of episode 2.. snow! norway? forget about norway! kenya, oooh kenya, kenya believe it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.png
  • Attached Image: duke0000.png
  • Attached Image: duke0002.png

User is online   Aleks 

View Postjimbob, on 09 June 2021 - 01:03 PM, said:

putting the finishing touches on the WW2 mod Operation Mallard's episode 1, and begun production of episode 2.. snow! norway? forget about norway! kenya, oooh kenya, kenya believe it.

Don't remember now, are you planning to replace all the original Duke textures in this mod or gonna keep some? I dig the combo of red sky with snowy mountains, not something I've seen done before too often, but might work giving it quite a fresh look. Also the snowman in the middle of WW2 reminds me of "Midnight Clear", not sure if that was the idea!

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostAleks, on 09 June 2021 - 01:26 PM, said:

Don't remember now, are you planning to replace all the original Duke textures in this mod or gonna keep some? I dig the combo of red sky with snowy mountains, not something I've seen done before too often, but might work giving it quite a fresh look. Also the snowman in the middle of WW2 reminds me of "Midnight Clear", not sure if that was the idea!

im going to keep those i like, and add new ones as i see fit. the red sky is a placeholder until i get a decent skybox for a snowy mountain area, i have a few neat skyboxes but those are taken from too close to the ground to make for a believable mountain area, i do like the red sky though, its a nice contrast from the white snow. i might implement that into the skybox somehow

[edit]
i did find a few usable skyboxes, forgot i only searched for desert and city areas before :o
threw this together quite quickly, might swap it out later if it doesnt feel right but you get the idea

i have a few neat ideas, but right now im doing everything by myself, i could really use a few people to help lighten the workload

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0003.png
  • Attached Image: duke0004.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 09 June 2021 - 02:00 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Try this for the snow. It looks great close up but I'm not sure about far away like in your screenshots.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: snow1.png

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostMark, on 09 June 2021 - 03:05 PM, said:

Try this for the snow. It looks great close up but I'm not sure about far away like in your screenshots.

thanks, i'll add that, and a credit. :)

User is offline   Mark 

No credit. I didn't make it. I don't remember the name of the royalty free site I found it at.

As far as helping with your project. I'm always busy with my solo stuff and helping others but I think I can devote a small amount of time to help you. I know what its like to get overwhelmed working alone. I've been doing it for years when I'm not on a team. Contact me in PM and we can discuss details.

This post has been edited by Mark: 09 June 2021 - 03:19 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostMark, on 09 June 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

No credit. I didn't make it. I don't remember the name of the royalty free site I found it at.

As far as helping with your project. I'm always busy with my solo stuff and helping others but I think I can devote a small amount of time to help you. I know what its like to get overwhelmed working alone. I've been doing it for years when I'm not on a team. Contact me in PM and we can discuss details.

will do tomorow, right now its time for bed :P

User is offline   Mark 

ok

@jimbob : Do not hesitate to use image processing software and play with the contrast, brightness, color balance and desaturation of your sprites to better standardize colors and avoid heterogeneous areas of bright / dull colors. ;)

Attached Image: bois.png

User is offline   jimbob 

i keep forgetting to desaturise my images, i'll do a cleanup pass on them

View Postjimbob, on 10 June 2021 - 03:46 AM, said:

i keep forgetting to desaturise my images, i'll do a cleanup pass on them

Useful info: for this wood, I didn't just desaturated.
I first over-saturated to bring out the colors of the duller parts so that, then, by desaturating, the whole thing appears more uniform.

I hope it could help :)

User is offline   Mark 

Having a little bit of fun in one of my projects.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SW mockup1.jpg

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Map looks cool. I'll bet Phredreeke could get you hooked up with decent looking upscales of the SW sprites such as the hud ones.

The kind of inspiring map we want to be able to be in for real :)

Share this topic:

• 328 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options