Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 331 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   jimbob 

View PostMC84, on 22 April 2021 - 01:40 PM, said:

What exactly do you mean digitized an actor? Like rotoscoping from live action footage?

even more archaic, i simply used a tripod, dslr and had the guy strike poses for all positions and animations. a 3d setup would have made things much easier but is way out of my budget.
so i spent the better part of a full weekend going frame by frame making the backgound transparent, importing everything and calculating the prefered size for the in game sprite, they are roughly 100 * 310

did the same for the weapon sprites, fps weapons except for the flamethrower and grenades because it is unfortunatly illegal to have those here, but some photoshop magic and 3d models that where rendered thanks to Nfsfan83 made them available.

most of the work is done for episode 1, just ironing out bugs, adding some audio, one liners, mission speech and audio finetuning, making music and adding things i come up with and its done, then for episode 2 i'd like to expand the team to ease the workload for myself, and because i want to do some things that are way out of my league in terms of coding. maybe get a small budget, get more uniforms and make more variations in both allies and axis.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That method is very hard to replicate, even if you got another person to pose for you it would be hard to keep the lighting and everything consistent so the characters matched.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Working on another room for SG4. But this time it's a pretty big one ;)
Attached Image: duke0167.png

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 05 May 2021 - 10:40 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

AMC TC EP4 work (of course)

https://i.imgur.com/sejImat.png

User is online   ck3D 

View PostMerlijn, on 05 May 2021 - 10:38 AM, said:

Working on another room for SG4. But this time it's a pretty big one ;)
Attachment duke0167.png

Wow, great use of space and textures! Can't wait, good luck!

View Postck3D, on 05 May 2021 - 12:16 PM, said:

Wow, great use of space and textures! Can't wait, good luck!

Thanks! Although at this point I don't think SG4 will be a separate release, I'll create the boss map first so I can release the whole series in episode format.

User is offline   Maarten 

Good going in here!

-------------------------------
Got lots of progress as well on AAP2 (sequel of AAP1 Woudrichem War):

-About 500 walls to go (I even deleted a lot of walls since last update - just parts of AAP1..will get back on that later!).
-Wrote & recorded a music track. It's a mix of AAP1 / E1L4 mood. At least, that's what I was aiming for :P
-This project is 97% finished!!

Having a very small holiday now, but after that I'll get back on finishing this & give you more information!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: AAP2 9-5 shot.png

This post has been edited by Maarten: 09 May 2021 - 04:23 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

@ Merlijn: that room looks pretty huge indeed, I like where this new SG map seems to be going with that ominous mood and more prevalent use of alienish textures than we've seen yet in the 3 previous maps!
@ Maarten: good to see you're so far in, and yeah walls can be a bitch at this moment! Nice architecture, it seems so simple, yet at the same time it's all the closer to the reality than all the super intricate buildings out there. Also I see another (?) bell tower. And the nukebutton pizza is a nice detail, funnily enough I've also been making a Build pizza slice, but from another tile.

Anyway, I've started a new city map, so far there's nothing really to show - I've got most of the basic street layout done, but without proper texturing etc. yet. It's gonna be more spacious, classic-styled level with more straightforward progression, but I'll still throw some puzzles and weird effects there. Got it all planned on a sheet of paper so far :)

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Man, it's so exciting to see two brand new Oostrum brothers levels on the horizon.

User is offline   jimbob 

ironing out some issues but i can safely say its done soon.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0002.png

User is online   ck3D 

Really happy to hear how close your completion your new map already is, Maarten! Screenshot is having me expect something very much in the vein of Woudrichem War and that's a good thing as I really liked that map. Retaining parts of the first as background in the second is sweet, too but now I wonder, when starting the new map did you begin from scratch and then later recopy-pasted those sectors in, or did you use the previous installment as a 'template' since day one, basically editing the first level to keep the visible decoration/terrain you wanted and scrap the resource-hungry rest? Just interested in the process out of curiosity because I always appreciate that aspect of the work on a level too, actually I regularly wonder the same in map sets like Downtown Journey where there is strong coherency (DJ even feels as though the author had built one big city first, only to then break it down in chunks). Best of luck on their projects to everyone, loving the recent activity!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 10 May 2021 - 01:16 AM

Posted Image

Bit by bit I'm getting closer to finishing the maps.
You're gonna get your asses handed to ya.

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 11 May 2021 - 01:59 AM

User is online   ck3D 

^ Looking so cool! Loving the little pillars and room structure and the overall texture work, feels very classic visually but with personality in the execution. Can't wait!

@Mister Sinister: Nice! Looking forward to it!
@ck3D: I actually started AAP2 exactly where AAP1 ends: this means some of AAP1 is still visible & will get more in screen later on this map. Actually, you'll get to the other side of the bridge which you've seen in AAP1!
Soon, very soon... more information/music/screens will be released! Just finished a 7 minute soundtrack which needs to be mastered :)

User is offline   jimbob 

working on code, in my infinite wisdom i decided to add a few last minute weapons, and lo and behold making more than 11 weapons was harder than i imagined :D so now i have to go through the spanish tutorial ( and translate that thing to dutch while im at it ) to see where i went wrong. its probably something silly like wro { ng }bracketing or something...

but on the plus side, there wil be a luger. and a grease gun. and the garand now properly ejects a clip when empty

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 21 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

*Music
*20+ shots
*Soon!!

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Looks like it's going to be a good year for Duke3D mapping.

User is offline   Aleks 

Love these shots, Maarten! These rural/camping areas give me such a strong GTA: San Andreas vibe, pretty cool. Also it looks freakin' huge (once again...).

https://i.imgur.com/Scv3UgU.png
OH NO

View PostAleks, on 23 May 2021 - 09:39 AM, said:

Love these shots, Maarten! These rural/camping areas give me such a strong GTA: San Andreas vibe, pretty cool. Also it looks freakin' huge (once again...).

Thanks! Funny, AAP1 also got GTA reference :D I wasn't even aiming for it..I just keep on mapping what I like haha.

Finishing the very last stuf, making choices with wall limit as well. Also going to add a little story. And yes, it's even more huge compared to AAP1!

User is online   ck3D 

That's a great combo of news, music and shots, Maarten. I don't know if you noticed but in my WIP project thread, recently I wrote a big tutorial thingy on how to build large scale maps more easily than with the default/traditional method of carving things piece by piece into always more of the available Mapster grid. You may be interested in that, and of course if you've been developing your own techniques for such results (which it obviously looks like you did) then I'm all ears when it comes to comparison in efficiency (in fact just reading my tutorial again, I'm already seeing some things in it that could be optimized). Best of luck wrapping this up, can't wait to play. Have fun!

Also and again, looking forward to Mister Sinister's work. Even more so than just the other day I found out about Sludge Plunge https://msdn.duke4.n...ludgeplunge.php which I don't think I've played yet (or maybe I did a while back? It did feel sort of familiar after all), but looked magnificent from the screens I saw.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 24 May 2021 - 06:50 AM

One screenshot in that video stands tall above all, you know the one

@ck3D: Thanks man! IC you're really active mapping as well - looking really great. Haven't seen your tutorial yet. In fact, I didn't think too much about the big grid/size... I just keep on mapping & see what's happening haha. Still, this time around, a little bit more "white walls"..but then again, this is is bigger compared to AAP1 (not going to spoil too much about it yet - the map is nearly finished. Just added a little story right now).

@Sangman: my my, I wonder which one :blink: :P

This post has been edited by Maarten: 26 May 2021 - 07:41 AM

I kinda wanna remake Supa to redeem it's meme status, but the problem with that is that it pretty much has to be one of the greatest maps of all time for that kind of arc to work out :D

oh forgot to mention, the map looks great, but you know this

This post has been edited by Sangman: 27 May 2021 - 02:27 PM

User is online   ck3D 

View PostSangman, on 27 May 2021 - 02:26 PM, said:

I kinda wanna remake Supa to redeem it's meme status, but the problem with that is that it pretty much has to be one of the greatest maps of all time for that kind of arc to work out :D

To be fair though, just not retconning "BLOW THE SHIT" in itself would already be worth a solid 95 points. People would salute your fueling of the fire, modern enhancement even, of the mystique. You may be realizing only now, but twenty years ago it was your destiny that you really wrote on the wall.

And now I kind of feel like replaying the Battlefield maps.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 27 May 2021 - 04:34 PM

View PostSangman, on 27 May 2021 - 02:26 PM, said:

Look at it this way: almost every author starts with maps that are just bad and forgettable, at least your first maps were bad in a very memorable way :D
The gag with the empty armory room is still pretty funny (for those that can read Dutch).

I'm nearly done with Shaky Grounds Pt. 4, I actually got closer to the wall limit than I expected but I got in what I wanted and still have about 600 left.
So that's good. :) This was a very fun map to make, it's different than the others but it's also the logical next step for the series.

Also has some of my most complicated sector-over-sector work to date, here's a 2D screenshot from mapster:
Attached Image: capt0013.png

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 28 May 2021 - 06:07 AM

User is online   ck3D 

Yo, that's wild. Great to hear the map is nearing completion already, can't wait! Always a big fan of crazy 2D map art too, I don't even know what's so fascinating about it, perhaps how it's like a rather explicit glimpse into someone else's synaptic connections, or something. Did you work on all the SOS layers in situation? Respect if you did. The more I've been mapping lately, the more I've built them separately resorting to some cheap copy pasting tricks to always keep the layout and then moving the bunch where it's supposed to be when I'm done. But in some instances you can't really do that and that's way more hardcore!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 28 May 2021 - 06:12 AM

Thanks! Yes I had to build without resorting to copy-paste in this case. So it did require some careful planning, I had to completely finish the top floor before moving on to the 2nd to make sure I didn't mess up.
But once you get into the flow it's not that bad, it was actually a fun challenge. :)

That screenshot reminds me of something that has been bothering me about Mapster for a while, now that TROR also means I'm doing more sector over sector work.. I really wish we had more options for hiding irrelevant walls/sprites. There is the grey-out thing but it doesn't work correctly all the time and I still find it somewhat distracting.. Props for working with it to Merlijn of course, but we kinda shouldn't have to :D

The more I've been mapping lately, the more I've built them separately resorting to some cheap copy pasting tricks to always keep the layout and then moving the bunch where it's supposed to be when I'm done

Yeah that's what I do, and I keep the original "blueprint" around in case I need to do major fixing

This post has been edited by Sangman: 28 May 2021 - 08:28 AM

User is online   ck3D 

^ I actually just learned that a few days ago, I think either on the Infosuite or the eDuke32 Wiki but there is an alternative to the sectors greying out thing where you can just hide the undesired sectors altogether with just a key press, can't remember which one though so you'll have to look that up, the version of Mapster I prefer to use these days myself is so old it doesn't even have the feature with the sectors greying out. Trying to look it up now, I can't seem to find that information anywhere again and so maybe the source was less official than that and/or incorrect.

Side note, there also is the option of working on different floors of a building by editing the same layout template in separate map files. And then once you merge the sections into one map, everything will naturally perfectly overlap (and in fact you might have to watch for the vertices accidentally connecting).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 28 May 2021 - 12:37 PM

Share this topic:

• 331 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options