Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 325 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostAleks, on 04 November 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

I know about it, but unless there's something more precise than selecting a sector and rotating it with Shift+, or . then that's useless in this case. Rotating with angles different than multiples of 90 seems to be not accurate enough for anything more complex/tiny than a simpler, blocky structure - in case of this car when I tried sector rotation, some of the walls just get deplanned up to the point where thinner sectors like the side windows of the car get distorted on the "left side". And as complex as it sounds, the sprite technique wasn't that time consuming as it sounds in this case.

You need to do two things: first, make a rectangle, or even better a square, sector around whatever you want to rotate so you can select that square and everything inside. This should help make things non distorted.

Secondly, instead of manually rotating with , and . do it by using alt+, and alt+. and manually type in the angle you want. If you got it wrong, undo and type in another value, rather than rotating another rotate.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 05 November 2020 - 12:06 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMetHy, on 05 November 2020 - 12:05 AM, said:

You need to do two things: first, make a rectangle, or even better a square, sector around whatever you want to rotate so you can select that square and everything inside. This should help make things non distorted.

Yeah, I know that, of course that was the first thing to do anyway.

Secondly, instead of manually rotating with , and . do it by using alt+, and alt+. and manually type in the angle you want. If you got it wrong, undo and type in another value, rather than rotating another rotate.

Didn't know about this one tho, just tested and it works perfectly even for random odd angles I've tried! Thanks, guess that would make it even faster!

I'm not sure i understand. Are you placing sprites on the sector structure so they match the sector, then rotate and place the sprites so you can draw new sectors with the sprites as a base?

I've been using sprites a lot and it's pretty fun to use them to make it easier to map.

Yeah, that's pretty much it - but now it seems pretty much useless with MetHy's tip above :P Although using sprites for reference, measurements etc. while is still a good way for easier mapping anyway.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

You can also simply select the wall vertices and sprites with shift and holding a modifier key while moving the mouse will rotate everything. Can’t remember which key it was. Similarly the selections can be stretched or shrunk in the horizontal and/or vertical directions.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

my notes. don't know the source i copied from. prob the wiki.

LSHIFT+LMB (with RSHIFT-highlighted points) interactively scale highlighted points (+CTRL forces square aspect)
LSHIFT+RMB (with RSHIFT-highlighted points) interactively rotate highlighted points
-or-
select your target with [Alt Gr]
Rotate the mouse wheel while holding down the following buttons : [Shift Left] + [Ctrl Left] + [Alt] + [Left mouse button].
-or-
select the sector and press [ALT][<] or [>] to trigger the textbox
then-
You will then see a small textbox at the bottom of the screen. Enter the desired angle (can be made negative by pressing [-] after writing the number).
If sprites are inside the selection, their angle will be automatically adapted.
validate by deselecting with [Alt Gr].
- friendlier angle numbers, like 64, 128, 192

User is online   ck3D 

Some glimpses into map 4 (400 sectors),

Some WIP stuff at street level:

Attached Image: map41.png Attached Image: map46.png Attached Image: map48.png

Demolition scenes:

Attached Image: map42.png Attached Image: map43.png Attached Image: map44.png

Random WIP pharmacy with strong lighting/shading and a stupid joke:

Attached Image: map45.png

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

It's not often to see the city sky under the red palette without the entire city also being red. I like.

I'm afraid can't make out what the joke is though.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 05 November 2020 - 10:56 PM

User is online   ck3D 

Thanks, the joke is mostly a mapper's deal I reckon with the combination of those two textures on the blue ad/poster in the back (with part of the XXX magazine cover and part of the stripper on TV), if you couldn't tell honestly that's great as it means it's as seamless as I thought. IIRC it's the top of the arm of the chick on the XXX mag cover that makes for the stripper's leg here. Right now in the map the poster says 'wow', but looking at the screenshot I posted I just realized there's also a way to make it say 'vow' which I think I'll go for in the end as it's even better. Context is a pharmacy so poster is meant to be an ad for some bullshit beauty or sex performance product.

Comment on the subtlety in palettes is actually a very interesting observation, nuances all the while working within the same color tones in general are an aspect I've been having fun with lately and I guess I'm also applying that approach to the skies (but those are always crucial in dictating the feel of a map after all so it makes sense).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 06 November 2020 - 11:37 AM

User is offline   Seb Luca 

Awsome work, ck3D :)

User is online   ck3D 

Merci Seb! Man I was looking at your map The Castleship just last night (I didn't directly play it, I saw it on Come Get Some with a video), I was surprised that one had ever slipped off my radar, besides the shading which is its only weakness I thought it looked great, design was really cool in terms of style and made some sweet use of the classic Build tricks, a lot of originality in there in general (loved constructions such as the turrets behind doors behind items and all those clever traps). I know you've been busy with your own mod and might have moved on in terms of vision but your take on Duke 3D with the base art is great, would love to see you making more.

On topic map 4 is now nearing 600 sectors, I guess I really just couldn't stop after map 3, been making the inside of that building with the red windows I posted earlier for a few days now. Never meant to make it an especially big area but now it contains three different-themed floors and quite the amount of SOS with connections to outside or to one another, following the same pattern as when I made the central building in map 3, just improvised on the spot this time and on a smaller scale. Building itself isn't large and 80% of it is diagonal with grid lock off (the building itself being bean-shaped) so all the lines crossing each other are starting to get so confusing, I'm almost done with it though which is cool as it's supposed to be the main location of the map. Will try and post at least a 2D screenshot sometime. Also been having some fun with light switches.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 09 November 2020 - 05:47 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Can't wait to play this new episode, it sounds massive.

One small nitpick but imo you shouldn't hesitate to double the number of sprites for spritework structures so they don't look so stretched, it immediately caught my eyes in these two screenshots but I suppose the fact they're right in the center of the screenshots doesn't help:

https://forums.duke4...attach_id=15907

https://forums.duke4...attach_id=15712

Trying not to have too wild differences in pixel density for textures/tiles which are next to each others is something I wish mappers paid more attention to in general. I understand that sometimes when one uses textures in unintended ways it can't really be helped, but other times a quick resizing/realigning of the tiles would go a long way to make an area look more solid.

User is online   ck3D 

Thank you, great to hear you're looking forward to it! Don't hold your breath though, I do want a lot of content in there indeed but I have no idea how much time that will take to actually materialize everything. I've been happy with the relatively quick pace of the project though (but it's been a year and a half already, makes me wonder what I'm doing with my life at times).

Point about not stretching textures is again very valid, it actually bothered me too on that map 4 screenshot but when you look at the structure from the distance (on the next shot) I think it's actually fine as an ensemble, just from up close and maybe with a mapper's eye one can start telling what the sprites used actually are and how they're stretched. Map 3 structure is indeed more concerning but I've reworked that area a lot since (even had to remake it altogether once, ironically due to a problem regarding dimensions) so I might have actually fixed the issue already, as it's something that spontaneously rubs me the wrong way too.

I share your sentiment too, I used not to care about dimensions at all (even Poison Heart had the tiny eggs) but for a while they've been more of a concern, at least in the context of this project. For a bit I've actually been finding myself rather obsessively watching repeat values and numbers in general to make sure everything is either a square value or in line with the original game, even copying generic props like chairs, calendars or trash cans from level to level for consistency. Honestly it feels like with that formula of respecting the original design the game was conceived around, including dimensions for rooms, structures and whatnot, one can only win. Sometimes you just can't break away from style, but stuff like stretched textures are most often a mistake or bad taste for sure, I'd much rather play with texture alignment for instance.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 09 November 2020 - 07:15 AM

Looks really great there ck3d. Can't wait to try it :D

User is offline   Aleks 

Great screenshots as usually, ck3D, it's quite amazing you've managed to just move from one map to another like this and already post something really good looking. I especially like the first one with reddish building, diagonality of all the lines comes quite naturally there, despite being quite colorful, it looks "right" and has some really nice feeling to it. The spriteworks on the next ones are also cool (is that a carwash on the second one?). And good thing this discussion about stretched sprites emerged here, I thought I'm the only one who's OCD about it (also about keeping the square aspect ratio for wall textures). Doesn't really bother me in case of that roof though, that tile looks OK to me stretched like this, blue part which has more pixel noise is quite dark anyway and won't be that noticable, while the silver "bar" thing does look like what it's supposed to be I guess.

I have just finished working on the design of my prison/island map. Still need to add monsters and items/weapons (besides some crucial ones that were already added), but it's gonna come quite naturally as I already know how I want the gameplay to be. The map is at about 1.1 MB and 1 903/16 383 (right...)/12 047 resources. Final touches was in fact mostly focused on managing the remaining walls in a proper way, but I think I've managed to build everything I wanted at a satisfactory level. There's some heavy sequencing involved in most part of the gameplay and in fact I'm surprised I managed to nail it without too much testing considering working separately on different parts for most of the time.

Some final screenshots - interior of the bar with some one-way windows and chaingun-fire trick to show the scenery:
Attached Image: duke0046.png Attached Image: duke0069.png

View Postck3D, on 06 November 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

Right now in the map the poster says 'wow', but looking at the screenshot I posted I just realized there's also a way to make it say 'vow' which I think I'll go for in the end as it's even better.

If you flip it upside down, could also say "MOM"!

User is online   ck3D 

Haha yeah, I already ran the "MOM" joke in Poison Heart and in fact I also recently re-used it in map 3 for Blast Radius somewhere, doesn't get old.

Congrats on finishing your map, race against the wall count is always some cold sweat. Had to take a close look at your first screenshot to see whether or not that wall corner was new .art or if you had actually worked out something crazy there, looks cool nonetheless, green brick texture is always a funny one and not the most usual pick for indoors but I really like it, goes well with the beige/brown and the tile itself has this TMNT feel to it. Also that other beige wall texture in general I also tend to really like, always makes for some super moody places, spontaneously seeing that pic I instantly thought of the apartment at the beginning of Gambini's Blown Fuses which to this day is still one of my favorite locations ever created in a user map.

Second screenshot is also looking cool, I love your detailed ventilation systems on the roofs and the terrain work is pretty cool, the location in general has a really specific tone to it and feels like an actual base/prison.

And yeah that's a car wash in map 4, I kind of expected the screenshot would give it away but I wasn't certain so it's cool that you could spot it just from that angle (albeit not the most obscure one). Thanks for the kind words, always good encouragement.

Also, not the screenshot I expected to post, but look at more of my bullshit:

Attached Image: GLITCH.png

This is a glitch I'm getting in game when exiting one of my elevators, probably due to the complicated line work everywhere (I don't think any really overlap though, I need to check). I don't really mind it because the bottom floor only flashes on screen like this for exactly one frame and there's no HOM nor warping even with the old eDuke32 build I'm using, just the image of it popping up really quickly (it's quite reproducible though - which is the only reason why I could get lucky taking a screenshot). What kind of gets me is those two floors share absolutely zero physical connection (this bottom floor isn't even the one you access the elevator from, it's a different one), they're only linked together by silent teleporters (but are built on the 'correct' coordinates), and are basic SOS (I don't do TROR); I didn't even know Build could really render two zones like this. I guess I've had and seen this type of 'visual clip' in other maps before but here it really looks funky.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 09 November 2020 - 03:35 PM

Lots of catching up for me here. Great community work!

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postck3D, on 09 November 2020 - 03:21 PM, said:

This is a glitch I'm getting in game when exiting one of my elevators, probably due to the complicated line work everywhere (I don't think any really overlap though, I need to check). I don't really mind it because the bottom floor only flashes on screen like this for exactly one frame and there's no HOM nor warping even with the old eDuke32 build I'm using, just the image of it popping up really quickly (it's quite reproducible though - which is the only reason why I could get lucky taking a screenshot). What kind of gets me is those two floors share absolutely zero physical connection (this bottom floor isn't even the one you access the elevator from, it's a different one), they're only linked together by silent teleporters (but are built on the 'correct' coordinates), and are basic SOS (I don't do TROR); I didn't even know Build could really render two zones like this. I guess I've had and seen this type of 'visual clip' in other maps before but here it really looks funky.

This doesn't come from your map, see:
https://forums.duke4...glitch-in-e2m4/

User is online   ck3D 

View PostMetHy, on 10 November 2020 - 01:44 AM, said:

This doesn't come from your map, see:
https://forums.duke4...glitch-in-e2m4/

Well that's reassuring in a way (I also just double checked and can confirm I have no overlapping lines or anything weird). The glitch described in this thread I've experienced in other user maps before too (the subway station in map 1 of my thing also does it in parts when crossing certain spots in the overground) but here it looked and felt different, I'm guessing it's not though, and just the funny perspective of two 'low' sectors at different heights and specific coordinates (and big contrast in their respective shade values) getting rendered, when we're used to more uniform stuff on the whole screen. This type of behavior always seems to happen when Duke steps or stands over certain lines, here it got me to think it would be interesting to see if it could be manipulated and put to good use, for instance a maze type of thing where you'd have to stand on specific points to get a glimpse at the path to follow via the floor below would be sick. Or for jump scares/graphic manipulation (honestly this particular instance in map 4 is such a contrast with the surrounding environment when it happens, it's almost a jump scare when you're not prepared).

This post has been edited by ck3D: 10 November 2020 - 07:50 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I have noticed the skybox flash for a long time in Mapster ( using Polymer ). But after it flashes once in that certain spot it won't any more until the next time I load the map. I have learned to ignore it. But in the game its not as easy to ignore because it happens multiple times from what I see from other's posts. I haven't noticed it yet playing my WIP projects.

User is online   ck3D 

Moar map 4. More shots of the carwash as Aleks guessed what it was, more of the red building including the relative mess it is in 2D mode, and some indoor areas and offices.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 1.png
  • Attached Image: 2.png
  • Attached Image: 4.png
  • Attached Image: 5.png
  • Attached Image: 6.png
  • Attached Image: 7.png
  • Attached Image: 8.png
  • Attached Image: 9.png

This post has been edited by ck3D: 10 November 2020 - 08:03 PM

User is offline   Mark 

It looks like just enough detail to satisfy me while staying open enough for everybody else. ;)

User is offline   brullov 

• BAZINGA!

I like that red building design. Red fits Duke so well!

User is online   ck3D 

Thank you! Yeah I agree, red is the best palette, the cold tones can be a bit further outside my comfort zone but I like them still (see Anarchy City X), lots of cool stuff to do with the combination of blue and pal 17. The green in Duke is also really good when you think about it, conveys the right feeling of organic alien menace, pal 6 has been growing on me more and more lately even though it's quite out of left field. I often wish Duke had a better yellow than the bronze-ish pal 7 though, pal 23 is pretty dope but can only look right on so many tiles.

And yes Mark player movement is key here, for those maps I'm really thinking flow first and then detail later, and only if it doesn't take away from the mood or distract from the real objectives (and still it's usually of the functional kind as it hints at, or unlocks, secrets). These days I'm super into lighting/shading, I wouldn't mind making maps that are a succession of empty rooms as long as it's all lit and shaded right and has the right gameplay dynamic (with vertical action, etc.). Whenever I get some space I can use I like throwing down funky stuff though, for instance that office has a cool-looking Xerox machine (you can kind of see it on those shots but not from up close). But space is the keyword, when you think about it level design is all about use of space and then the right cosmetics on top. Nowhere in the original episodes ever looked empty or dull yet they were restricted in terms of detail, for instance.

I miss seeing your screenshots or even better, playing your maps, brullov!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 11 November 2020 - 04:49 AM

View Postck3D, on 10 November 2020 - 07:49 PM, said:

Moar map 4. More shots of the carwash as Aleks guessed what it was, more of the red building including the relative mess it is in 2D mode, and some indoor areas and offices.

Nice aesthetics!

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

http://shadowmavericks.com/files/ShareX/2020-11-11_21-40-16.gif
http://shadowmavericks.com/files/ShareX/2020-11-11_21-35-47.gif
http://shadowmavericks.com/files/ShareX/2020-11-11_21-47-03.gif

An experiment with the weapon bob, and shifting the weapon sprite based on view pitch and whether you're jumping.

This post has been edited by Striker: 11 November 2020 - 05:47 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Can't see them. https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

User is online   blizzart 

View PostOpenMaw, on 12 November 2020 - 09:12 AM, said:

Can't see them. https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

I can´t see them either. My antivirus keeps on blocking the URL of the image hoster.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostStriker, on 11 November 2020 - 05:46 PM, said:

An experiment with the weapon bob, and shifting the weapon sprite based on view pitch and whether you're jumping.

Good stuff! It looks like you are not using the 256 or 512 orientation flags to keep hud items on the left and right sides in widescreen. Is that intentional?

• Auramancer

Semi-intentional. OldMP was based on a very old build of EDuke32 before that flag, but I left the HUD alone because not only do I prefer it, it means that it doesn't go completely out of your peripheral vision when using ultrawide.

This post has been edited by Striker: 12 November 2020 - 01:46 PM

• Auramancer

View Postblizzart, on 12 November 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

I can´t see them either. My antivirus keeps on blocking the URL of the image hoster.

I dunno why it keeps happening. I'm going to guess it's just the fact the site isn't using HTTPS. I can't afford an SSL certificate, too expensive, and I can't use an image hosting service because the GIFs are too large (>9mb). Also, nobody told me what antivirus was doing this last time I asked, so please, tell me what antivirus this is that's doing this bullshit. Also, avoid Chrome, it also seems to have trouble, whereas Firefox draws them fine.

This post has been edited by Striker: 12 November 2020 - 02:21 PM

User is online   Dr.Panico 

View PostStriker, on 12 November 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

I dunno why it keeps happening. I'm going to guess it's just the fact the site isn't using HTTPS. I can't afford an SSL certificate, too expensive, and I can't use an image hosting service because the GIFs are too large (>9mb). Also, nobody told me what antivirus was doing this last time I asked, so please, tell me what antivirus this is that's doing this bullshit.

I'm getting notifications from Avast; who's blocking stuff from shadowmavericks.com due to URL:Blacklist.

Share this topic:

• 325 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options