Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 315 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Mark 

• you think those sunglasses make you look cool or somethin'

I think working on more than 1 project at a time is very common here. In my 11 years of modding, most of that time has been spreading myself out over 2-5 projects at the same time. Less if its a team effort. More if they are personal projects. Between both types I still am part of at least 6 projects right now. They go slowly as I jump around a lot. Not the best workflow but its how I roll. B) I'm retired and feel in no rush to finish something quickly.

But I suppose if my projects were only mapping they would be more sequential.

This post has been edited by Mark: 12 July 2020 - 09:50 AM

User is offline   Mark 

• you think those sunglasses make you look cool or somethin'

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: SUBTEST2.jpg

User is offline   Sanek 

@Mark I feel Kingpin vibe here! Not a big fan of skybox though, it looks low-res by compasion with the map area itself.

I'm thinking about my map right now and one the gimmicks I want to implement is that you can't spent too much time on the street because of the tougher enemies roaming around. You'll have some ammo, but it won't be enough. I have 2 options, and both have significant drawbacks:

1. Have a squad of battlelords, that'll drain your health quick from the distance, but who's also very slow and have tendency to stuck in places.

2. Have a huge army of newbeasts who's fast. Personally, I like this idea more because newbeasts feat the map's legend more. However I can be certain that some guys like The Watchtower or Ninety-Six will be nagging that "Duke3D is not about throwing billions of monsters right in your face, it's not Doom, your map sucks!".

So here I am. Of course, I can always go with standard pool of enemies, but I want to have a gimmick that make this map a standout, so I'll try to make it less typical.

Go with the battlelords, build some cover, make some small streets and etc. Newbeasts are way too easy to avoid in open areas.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostSanek, on 18 July 2020 - 06:20 AM, said:

Personally, I like this idea more because newbeasts feat the map's legend more. However I can be certain that some guys like The Watchtower or Ninety-Six will be nagging that "Duke3D is not about throwing billions of monsters right in your face, it's not Doom, your map sucks!".

No map can or will ever please literally everybody. Other players' feedback are a valuable resource to understand what technically works in a level and what doesn't, but you should follow your creative vision over everything. Trends are what does suck, just pursue what you think is cool.

Re: your concern, I think Battlelords are way deadlier than Newbeasts in open environments due to them having a hitscan weapon. Maybe just place a barrage of them in designated areas somewhere high up in Stayput position. Hell, a whole level could be built around that idea and lowering the platforms individually.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 July 2020 - 11:15 AM

View PostSanek, on 18 July 2020 - 06:20 AM, said:

However I can be certain that some guys like The Watchtower or Ninety-Six will be nagging that "Duke3D is not about throwing billions of monsters right in your face, it's not Doom, your map sucks!".

lol, i liked the carnage in Ruinas map, i don't know why i find it funny to play and in some other maps is boring to kill monster after monster, i guess the author should do what he likes and inspires him.

User is offline   Merlijn 

View Postck3D, on 19 July 2020 - 11:11 AM, said:

No map can or will ever please literally everybody. Other players' feedback are a valuable resource to understand what technically works in a level and what doesn't, but you should follow your creative vision over everything. Trends are what does suck, just pursue what you think is cool.

Re: your concern, I think Battlelords are way deadlier than Newbeasts in open environments due to them having a hitscan weapon. Maybe just place a barrage of them in designated areas somewhere high up in Stayput position. Hell, a whole level could be built around that idea and lowering the platforms individually.

I concur with this. Battlelords would work if you place a couple of them on strategic spots in stayput position and if there's enough cover for you to dodge their fire. Perhaps you could even combine stayput battlelords with newbeasts, but that might get too frustrating. This would depend on the layout of the area. In the end it's your vision.

User is offline   Sanek 

I get it. I started it all with battlelords anyway, but hesitated a bit because (as I said before) that can stuck in places. I actually thought that battlelords will be chasing you, but I can see where I can go with just placing them in stayput positiion on some key locations. So thank you I guess.

Posted Image
One map is FINALLY finished. Here's a little tease.

I need one beta-tester, preferably a very skilled player. PM me if you're interested.

User is offline   Sanek 

*I applied, but then we decided that I'll better play the finished title. ;)

I want to say something about Blast Radius. I don't want to sound aggresive, but I'm URGING ck3D to release one level from his episode on it's own! It'll be sort of a demo, a preview - the same thing you did a decade ago with Meatball Sub Makin'! If every map of the episode have the same "ck3D user map" sort of a quality, it'll be a great way to get everyone interested!

User is online   ck3D 

Ha I appreciate the interest, but I'll be my own PR here. Besides the map making, the process of going for a long-term project itself is an interesting experience for me. The idea of not leaking any actual level while keeping working on more is exactly the challenge I'm enjoying dealing with right now. I also really want to present those maps as a set in a certain given context and separately they wouldn't make as much sense. So I don't think I'll be releasing any of them as user maps. I've actually pondered the idea before but ended up deciding on nah. I know what I'm doing here, and I can't wait for when I'll be in position to actually tease that thing - don't worry. You can always ask questions though, and I'll be dropping screenshots often. Those past few weeks I've just been busy as shit but the map I'm currently on has been maturing inside my head, and even on the only mapping session I've been able to allow myself in the past few weeks I got to add some more stuff I like. Once that particular map is over too, I'll get to experiment with different styles that are out of my comfort zone and I can't wait. It's just a fun ride working on this (and admittedly quite the unreasonable one - in terms of time it's voracious).

I might still release stuff independently before that project is done and out, too. It doesn't have to be leaked content to build hype, just playable content. CBP2020 is around the corner too and I hope you'll enjoy my part in there, it's a funky one.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 31 July 2020 - 03:55 AM

User is offline   Sanek 

Allright, I uinderstand. I guess it's going to be like one of these old Roch maps, when you can see part of the previous levels, isn't it?

Treating the episode's making as the experiment/challenge of sorts is the interesting one. Yes, I can see that you think differently about layout, ammo, weapons, enemies and stuff and you also can have a bigger storyline than a single user maps' usually allows.
It almost seems unreal to me that I made 2 episodes myself a decade ago but I had my reason for it, aka getting bored with the whole thing and just trying to finish several maps asap. Maybe I'll make a new episode some day...we'll see.

View Postck3D, on 31 July 2020 - 03:50 AM, said:

I'll get to experiment with different styles that are out of my comfort zone and I can't wait.

It looks like a city episode to me. Every map of yours looks different enough yet it still have your style, so I wonder what it's going to be.

And speaking of comfort zones...we all remeber that you made a map called Dark Side of the Moon, and you NEVER made another space-themed map EVER AGAIN. :P

View Postck3D, on 31 July 2020 - 03:50 AM, said:

I might still release stuff independently before that project is done and out, too. It doesn't have to be leaked content to build hype, just playable content. CBP2020 is around the corner too and I hope you'll enjoy my part in there, it's a funky one.

Nobody's talking about leaking anything, especially unplayable. I also see no reason to release maps as a separate when the whole project will be released. Still, do what you want and yeah, can't wait for CBP 2020. :)

User is online   ck3D 

Got to map a bit this weekend. Current level is just reaching the 500 sector mark, I'd say it's safe to assume a quarter of it is complete. I rarely get to map these days because of my own savant mix of work and summer but somehow manage to get quite a lot done on the few occasions I get.

Here are some more low-visibility in-editor shots,

I designed this city block and brought that area a little closer to completion, still lacking all the detail:

Attached Image: br3-01.png

Attached Image: br3-02.png

Also spent some time doodling little tight alleys, ideally I'd like this map to have tons of transitions and alternate routes from building to building via lateral connections, this is just a start but I've made some little balconies, also buildings on the first shot are brand new and still need work:

Attached Image: br3-03.png

Attached Image: br3-04.png

And because you guys liked the triangular building, here's a less beta version of it complete with illumination and some perspective for general scale:

Attached Image: br3-05.png

Attached Image: br3-06.png

View PostSanek, on 31 July 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

Allright, I uinderstand. I guess it's going to be like one of these old Roch maps, when you can see part of the previous levels, isn't it?

Treating the episode's making as the experiment/challenge of sorts is the interesting one. Yes, I can see that you think differently about layout, ammo, weapons, enemies and stuff and you also can have a bigger storyline than a single user maps' usually allows.

Yeah, that's kind of it except on (what feels like) an even larger scale. The downside is feeling like you pretty much keep sitting on Roch maps, but (hopefully) good things require time.

View PostSanek, on 31 July 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

It looks like a city episode to me. Every map of yours looks different enough yet it still have your style, so I wonder what it's going to be.

And speaking of comfort zones...we all remeber that you made a map called Dark Side of the Moon, and you NEVER made another space-themed map EVER AGAIN. :P

I don't intend it to be just city maps at all. I think I'm getting those out of the way because I want to keep the most exotic and fun experimentation for last. You'll see (and I'll see too, depending on what I actually end up materializing - so far the scope is still evolving as I'm going, and I don't want to flaunt what might amount to just be delusions of grandeur).

Dark Side Of The Moon was so bad! I had no idea what a true space map even was. Now, on the other hand...

This post has been edited by ck3D: 02 August 2020 - 07:51 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I like the way the streets and buildings kinda start blending with the sky texture. Makes it feel less unconnected and more like a part of the world too.

User is online   ck3D 

Thanks I'm glad you dig it, and that's an interesting observation - in general with those maps, I've been having fun spending some time making sure the sky texture really fits the theme of the level both in terms of color and vibe, here I reckon what you're describing works especially because of a combination of palette choices and how the landscape of the map itself is especially neon-heavy, tall buildings whose patterns blend into the sky tile which has a similar style of contrasting bright-on-dark tones (with some red in common too). Later when I add out-of-bounds sceneries with actual building silhouettes using that same tile as a wall texture like I've shown in map 2, and the general landscape of the map is less cluttered with evenly tall walls everywhere, the immersion should get even stronger (that's usually what happens, and what already happened to me with map 1 and 2).

Also when the visibility is fixed (I want a lot less fog, and more elements to be visible from distance), things should start taking another look as well. Originally I wanted to make every map full bright, but now I'm reconsidering how drastic that decision would be because the maps so far all have their atmospheric moments visibility fog probably contributes to the atmosphere of to a certain extent - I'll just have to see on a case-by-case basis.

Also please don't mind the apparent frame rate on those screens. For some reason my computer loves starting to process random updates in the background just as I feel like making screenshots, and slows shit down (happened here, and has happened to me once or twice before while making some for this thread). The map itself still runs fine and smooth so far.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 03 August 2020 - 04:06 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View Postck3D, on 03 August 2020 - 03:34 AM, said:

Thanks I'm glad you dig it, and that's an interesting observation - in general with those maps, I've been having fun spending some time making sure the sky texture really fits the theme of the level both in terms of color and vibe, here I reckon what you're describing works especially because of a combination of palette choices and how the landscape of the map itself is especially neon-heavy, tall buildings whose patterns blend into the sky tile which has a similar style of contrasting bright-on-dark tones (with some red in common too).

Pretty much.

And yeah, a little ambient darkness/fog tends to create certain atmospheres.

User is offline   11bush 

I've been working on some Vietnam war stuff again, but I'm working with the duke palette, and directly with the art tiles.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_37_39 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_37_23 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_36_08 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_35_44 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_35_18 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_22_50 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_31_27 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_37_29 AM.png
  • Attached Image: Platoon Leader - EDuke32 8_5_2020 10_22_26 AM.png

This post has been edited by 11bush: 05 August 2020 - 08:46 AM

User is offline   MC84 

View Post11bush, on 05 August 2020 - 08:44 AM, said:

I've been working on some Vietnam war stuff again, but I'm working with the duke palette, and directly with the art tiles.

Nice! - your weapon sprites are looking much more coherent/natural.

User is offline   11bush 

View PostMC84, on 05 August 2020 - 12:35 PM, said:

Nice! - your weapon sprites are looking much more coherent/natural.

Thanks, it's taken me a while to find what really seems to work for me.

Share this topic:

• 315 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options