Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

NSFW:

http://picpaste.com/....1467414408.jpg

User is offline   0815Jack 

View PostSupertanker, on 01 July 2016 - 03:07 PM, said:

looks very promising...... do you plan to redo all babes?

I might...I never did finish the standing babe and the hanging babe had some skinning issues. I guess there's the pod babe too.

Here a map I'm working on in those days :P!!!!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Good on you for deciding to make a map. It's got a few issues that people tend to make with their first maps, but it's all uphill from here. When will it be finished?

In other news I've got two maps lined up for AMC TC Episode 3 that I've been working on and off on for around 3 years. One of them just turned 3 yesterday Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 July 2016 - 04:13 AM

I hope in a few months, it could be a half year... Yeah, my custom kitchen map for WoP I worked 2 and half years on and of :) :P!!!! Success for your maps man, so happy for you and love AMC a lot 3> !!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by DudeAwesome: 05 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

User is offline   CruX 

So when I was posting progression shots of my map in this thread, a few people noticed the swapped graphics and the magazine counter and asked if I was working on some kind of mod.

Posted Image

My answer was no, the swap was just a personal thing that I didn't have any immediate plans to release because, well, that was what it was.

I'd been off my game for awhile when I decided to start seriously building The Root, and I figured to get back in the saddle and keep myself from burning out on mapping, it'd be a good idea to play around with the art and code of some weapons. Most of what I've got done to this point was done randomly while I was also working on the map. Now that the map's done, and I don't have anything else started, I figure I can start working on a proper release for this other...thing.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the moment, I honestly don't know what I want its scale to be, other than kinda small. Right now it's just a mod for DN3D's hitscan weapons, and I'm not sure I really want it to grow much beyond that, but I know while I'm giving it some polish I'll start messing with some other stuff, so who knows? Point is, I'll probably be releasing something else in the near future.

This post has been edited by CruX: 05 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

User is offline   0815Jack 

View PostSupertanker, on 03 July 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

I might...I never did finish the standing babe and the hanging babe had some skinning issues. I guess there's the pod babe too.

I remember that standing babe :P

Edit: The more I use Chrome the more I realize it's a broken down wreck.

View PostFox, on 28 June 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

Wolf3D to Duke3D map conversion. Also working for Mac levels.

How I did it: I converted the Wolf3D maps to a text list (which is very simply to do), then I open a Duke3D map composed of 64 x 64 square sectors and using CON I move sectors or add sprites following the list.

I wonder if this would also be possible for Nitemare 3D's levels. The game uses its own engine which is slightly more capable than the one used in Wolf, but I believe the map format is similar and not entirely hard to read.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 05 July 2016 - 02:56 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Presumably...

http://wolf3d.darkbb...re-3d-mapeditor

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Post0815Jack, on 01 July 2016 - 04:17 PM, said:

looks very promising...... do you plan to redo all babes?

View PostSupertanker, on 03 July 2016 - 10:04 AM, said:

If you're really giving this a go, please consider making the impaled babe (fem8, tile1336), too. Shows up in many user maps. And reproducing the rotation/orientation of the existing HRP models would be quite a favour to HRP maintenance. I know not all models face into the 'correct' direction as far as it can be determined from the ART. But I haven't reached the point to deal with that yet without messing up hundreds of maphacks.
[SCNR:]Duke3D is a game from the nineties mocking the eighties, so the babes probably should not look too 'Brazilian'. :P

This post has been edited by LeoD: 06 July 2016 - 03:48 PM

View PostHigh Treason, on 05 July 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

Edit: The more I use Chrome the more I realize it's a broken down wreck.

I wonder if this would also be possible for Nitemare 3D's levels. The game uses its own engine which is slightly more capable than the one used in Wolf, but I believe the map format is similar and not entirely hard to read.

I was once trying to port the first map of Nitemare 3D to Eduke32. The textures were easy to extract.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.jpg
  • Attached Image: capt0001.jpg

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've got a confession to make. That screenshot I posted in the polymerNG thread wasn't using polymerNG, it was using regular polymer. The ms count and framerate was 79ms and 10 fps respectively, and that was with that section annexed from the rest of the map. Still, it's good to show what things can look like if we had an optimized next gen renderer.

Just so we're clear, the AMC TC is never going to be a polymer project, these screenshots are just mockups. It's always going to use classic assets and classic shading. It's simply not worth the time going through the dozens of maps and manually adding lights everywhere. Now if some kind of sophisiticated script (mapster or otherwise) could go around and place all kinds of lights around based on educated guesses it might be included as an optional bonus for those who would like it. But that's only if someone else goes through the effort to set that up.

Doesn't look too bad though.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mblackwell: 14 July 2016 - 01:27 PM
Reason for edit: Seriously. Just delete the URL tags.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

I miss those days... Creating mods and maps for Duke brings a lot of fun.

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Change that e to an a.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostLunick, on 27 July 2016 - 04:18 AM, said:

Change that e to an a.

He he, I actually was thinking about it =]

User is offline   Mia Max 

Hallo people!

After a longer pause I'm making some stuffs for Duke 3D again.

I,ve always made maps, now I want to make some md3 models.
I startet converting some solidwork parts I've made.

This is my first result : )

Posted Image

It's been a lot of work to convert the model into md3. Thank you Drek for making the md3 export script for blender.
But the most difficult part was making the UV-maps and texturing as I've never worked with blender before and done stuff like that. Hugh.

I guess exporting some other models will be easier as I won't texture them and give them a metallic look only.
Here's some stuff I did with solidworks:

Posted Image
You can see the paper on the table without textures as solidworks can't deal with custom textures.
The train isn't complete yet...
But if someone wants to have the model of the standardized rails, just tell me.

Finaly I understand how to convert models from Solidworks to md3 format efficiently : )

It got 3632 triangles. Anyone knows what is the limit of triangles that should be used for eduke32 renderer?

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 03 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Whatever will work on your level. It depends on how many items you have in the level and what kind of frame rate you get. That also depends on if you are using Polymer lights etc.

TL:DR - 3K polys for that chair is ridiculous. You should be able to do it for under 1K at the absolute max. Post wires.

Solidworks won't let me editing triangles.
If I export the model as stl format, I can reduce the amount of triangles, but I'll have to define the surfaces again.

Is there a simple way to reduce amount of triangles in Blender?
I want to learn how to work with Blender, so I will order a tutorial book.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 03 August 2016 - 12:47 PM

• Polymancer

There are hundreds of tutorials online. www.katsbits.com has tuts too.

If you want to knock down the poly count in Blender, use the 'Decimate' modifier. It's not ideal in that it can leave messy geometry, but it will preserve your UV maps and get your polycount down.

• Polymancer

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 04 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

Thatnk you Sir.
The 'Decimate' modifier reduced it to 1470 triangles.

Is the polymer renderer adding shadows to the models. Or will I have to render the model manually?
In Blender, the surfaces are called ShapeIndexedFaceSet. Do I have to rename it?
When exporting the model using Drek's MD3 export script, what do I need to set up? The chair should have a Build size of 32, right? Because 64 would be man size. Does it matter what scale the model has got in Blender?
Is there a tutorial how I can implant models into Duke3D using def code.?

Sorry for the many questions. But I've already spent days looking for infos. I need to get me a tutorial book.

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 04 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

User is offline   BoowHow 

I have decided to try and make a map for the moment.
Here are some screenshots:
Posted Image
Posted Image
I currently don't know when I'm going to finish them as I have no clue, if I make it into a
subway or some kind of sewage facility at the moment.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostMia Max, on 04 August 2016 - 06:38 AM, said:

Thatnk you Sir.

Is the polymer renderer adding shadows to the models. Or will I have to render the model manually?
In Blender, the surfaces are called ShapeIndexedFaceSet. Do I have to rename it?
When exporting the model using Drek's MD3 export script, what do I need to set up? The chair should have a Build size of 32, right? Because 64 would be man size. Does it matter what scale the model has got in Blender?

Sorry for the many questions. But I've already spent days looking for infos. I need to get me a tutorial book.

I don't use Blender but I may be able to answer a couple of your questions. By default I believe Blender models are relatively small and should be scaled up before exporting otherwise vertice glitches can appear. I don't know exactly how large is best. TeaMonster or Spiker would know this. Polymer will only create light and dark surfaces if a light is shining on the model. If there is no light in your map near your model it will look flat. But supposedly in ICD's new renderer, that may have a release soon, it will support scripting for that stuff if I understand it right. So, just to play it safe I create my models with built-in shading. If I see later on in the map that it is not needed or looks wrong under a Polymer light I'll change it. Don't make your darker surfaces too much different that the rest unless you are planning a dark moody map for the models.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 04 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

• Polymancer

Thatnk you Sir.

Any time. Again, be careful when applying, as it can cause problems.

Polymer will light the model if you put lights in the map. As Mark said, you can add some shading into the diffuse if you want. With Polymer or Polymost, it usually helps to bake out an ambient occlusion map to overlay (use multiply in your graphics app.). You can do some shading on the diffuse texture, or 'cheat' and wift either the red or green layer out of a normal map to overlay onto the diffuse to fake global illumination.

You don't have to, but it helps for when you have models with several hulls to name them properly (object and object data) so you don't get confused when trying to figure out which one is which when writing the def file.

Yeah, Mark is right about the scaling. It's a good idea to make it approximately the correct size in Blender to match real-world units. I usually then scale up by 8 when exporting to MD3 as you can get vertices getting bored and deciding to wander off in the middle of export. I've not bothered with build units myself, maybe I should have done. I tend to just wing it.

Make sure your model is in 'object' mode.

Make sure you have your model and skeleton (if using one) selected and then export to MD3. The exporter handles most Blender modifiers OK.

Oh, it will export the number of frames that is specified in the timeline window. By default it is set to 250. Bring that down to what you need.

By default, the exporter creates frame names of 'frame1', 'frame2 etc.

There was a thread on exporting to MD3, but the OP turned it into a Norse Saga, so it isn't much use unfortunately.

Youtube and here: http://www.katsbits....orials/#blender

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostTea Monster, on 03 August 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

You should be able to do it for under 1K at the absolute max. Post wires.

1k is being very very generous :P, I think 300 max and still be AAAAAAAA quality.

This post has been edited by Steveeeie: 04 August 2016 - 12:28 PM

• Polymancer

Yeah, but getting it down a by two thirds is a good start.

• Polymancer

Everyone complained about the last photo, so I showed something a little more in context.
Posted Image

Thank you guys for your help.

The image of the chair in post 7188 was taken in 'Open 3D Model Viewer'. It's already a md3 model. But I still have to load it into eduke32 renderer: http://www.open3mod.com/
The mesh still looks correct. So I guess it will look correct in eduke32 too?

@Tea Monster: Did you create this in Blender? It looks very technical, like it was designed in CAD. I also want to model CAD-like using Blender.I have found this http://www.cad4arch.com/cadtools/
But it's not completed yet and works with Blender 2.49b only.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options