Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 335 Pages +
  • « First
  • 119
  • 120
  • 121
  • 122
  • 123
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#3601

This is a concept of how the Doom engine could be replicated in Eduke32. I am using E1M1: Hangar because it's the standard showcase map. Not sure of what I will do with this yet.

Hud view

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_01.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_02.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_03.png

Misc screenshots

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_05.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_07.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_08.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_09.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_06.png
4

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#3602

Skybox view, 8bit and 32bit modes

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_04.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_04b.png

Partial invisibility, 8bit and 32bit modes

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_10.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_10b.png

Invulnerability, 8bit and 32bit modes

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_12.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_12b.png

Light amplification visor similar to pre-release Doom BETA, 8bit and 32bit modes

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_11.png http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/th_doom_11b.png
2

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#3603

There's a lot of nice stuff happening in this thread over the last few days, I like it all http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif
0

User is offline   zykov eddy 

#3604

Fox, looks awesome! Btw, how's your Wolf 3D mod?
0

User is offline   xMobilemux 

#3605

I've managed to finally get my DNF Cycloid in DN3D :) Looks ok I guess :P

3

User is offline   zykov eddy 

#3606

Wow, this is impressive. Are you planning to add some new sounds and coding?

This post has been edited by zykov eddy: 03 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

0

User is offline   xMobilemux 

#3607

View Postzykov eddy, on 03 June 2012 - 12:07 AM, said:

Wow, this is impressive. Are you planning to add some new sounds and coding?

I'm only a beginner but once I learn, I'm gonna make a complete overhaul with: new levels, weapons, monsters, sounds etc :)

EDIT: I also threw in this to see what it would look like lol I wont rush it next time cause it looks kinda cool IMO :P
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g325/Wesker500/duke3ddnf.jpg

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 03 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

1

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

#3608

View PostWesker500, on 03 June 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

I'm only a beginner but once I learn, I'm gonna make a complete overhaul with: new levels, weapons, monsters, sounds etc :)


I know how to map and add sounds. :P
1

User is offline   Mark 

#3609

Darn it. Ever since I got this skeleton placed in the game I can't concentrate on the rest of the game. I keep getting sidetracked doing this stuff.

Attached thumbnail(s)

  • Attached Image: capt0.jpg


This post has been edited by Marked: 03 June 2012 - 06:29 AM

2

User is offline   darkcaleb 

#3610

That's impressive Wesker500, may i ask how your're doing that and is it possible to converting the original models?

Hehehehe funny picture Marked, How's progress?
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#3611

A while ago I was working on a more efficient (at least for me) rain code. I believe at this point there are plenty of rain codes, but I made one that satisfy myself. This may be a little complicated to explain.

Most of the rain codes essentially spawn rain particles on an area above the player. Whenever the player is moving, there will be a noticeable different number of particles towards the position he is moving to.

In the case of the code I created, I made so that whenever the players moves, the particles out of range will spawn on the other side of the rain area, for both horizontal and vertical directions. It took a lot of work to make this work properly, and was quite a logic challange, but I am satisfied with the result.

Also, in order to make the rain more concentrated with the same amount of particles, all the sprites remain in the player field of view, so there won't be particles hidden behind the player.

As a result, as you walk you will have the illusion of particles popping out of nowhere in front of you. This effect is aggravate by the fact the number of particles is concentrated around the player (and smoothly fades away). But this effect is expected (not to say it was sort of intended).

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/duke0002.png

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h441/Fox_969/duke0003.png

This post has been edited by Fox: 03 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

3

User is online   Danukem 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#3612

That's nice! Although it would take a movie to actually show what you are talking about. It must have been difficult to make it so that the rain looks uniform when the player turns around suddenly.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#3613

Here is a video:


0

User is offline   Mblackwell 

  • Evil Overlord

#3614

Not bad. I can tell it follows the player, but it doesn't really detract very much. You should randomly spawn splash particles along the ground in areas the rain falls.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

#3615

View PostMblackwell, on 04 June 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

Not bad. I can tell it follows the player, but it doesn't really detract very much. You should randomly spawn splash particles along the ground in areas the rain falls.


It follows the player? But you can still see the rain outside when you're inside.
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #3616

Lately I've been working on porting EDuke32 to Android. There's no major progress yet, though the code is already at a point where it compiles, links and builds into an .apk package. Someone who looks to have considerable experience with porting SDL based stuff to Android has tentatively agreed to help out so I'm hoping the time frame won't turn into a complete disaster like the multiplayer code (though to be fair, an Android port requires so much less work than the multiplayer code does so it's not really even a valid comparison).
0

User is offline   Paul B 

#3617

View PostTerminX, on 04 June 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

Lately I've been working on porting EDuke32 to Android. There's no major progress yet, though the code is already at a point where it compiles, links and builds into an .apk package. Someone who looks to have considerable experience with porting SDL based stuff to Android has tentatively agreed to help out so I'm hoping the time frame won't turn into a complete disaster like the multiplayer code (though to be fair, an Android port requires so much less work than the multiplayer code does so it's not really even a valid comparison).


TerminX don't be so hard on yourself. Whenever something changes new challenges emerge. Obviously the net code was functional at some point and something changed to make it not work. Is there anything the community can do to contribute to the net code completion? You talk about the net code being a disaster but you never explain why it was a disaster or what the challenges you are facing? Perhaps, talking about it publically can lead to some good ideas from the community or at least assist in the process of bringing back the functionality.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 04 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

1

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #3618

No, the networking code was never really functional. It's a WIP rewrite of multiplayer in a client/server fashion that required entirely abandoning the original networking code (the old code from the DOS days that frequently went out of sync) and starting over from scratch. There is not much to talk about... I started the rewrite shortly before I got engaged, and then getting married and having a kid took my free time away. The multiplayer is unfinished because I do not usually have long enough blocks of free time to do the kind of work that needs to be done with it.
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#3619

View PostMblackwell, on 04 June 2012 - 07:09 AM, said:

Not bad. I can tell it follows the player, but it doesn't really detract very much.

It doesn't exactly "follow" the player.

The visual effect is the very same as if there was thousands of particles everywhere in the map, but they are only visible when the player is closer to them. And in order to make the number of particles more concentrated around the player, and the range which it becames visible is randomized for each particle.

Of course on reality there is a limited amount of particles that are constantly jumping of location to give that illusion. In the video I used a limit of 2048 particles (while around 20% are always omitted due to a technicality).
0

User is online   Danukem 

  • Duke Plus Developer

#3620

It looks pretty good, but the rain drops fall too quickly.
0

User is offline   Sebastian 

#3621

I think the rain/snow looks perfect already. I don't think you should add any splash or anything on the ground, never did like the way that could sometimes bug out when you're building alot of sprites.
Best weather/particles effect I've seen yet.
0

User is offline   OpenMaw 

  • Judge Mental

#3622

View PostTerminX, on 04 June 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

No, the networking code was never really functional. It's a WIP rewrite of multiplayer in a client/server fashion that required entirely abandoning the original networking code (the old code from the DOS days that frequently went out of sync) and starting over from scratch. There is not much to talk about... I started the rewrite shortly before I got engaged, and then getting married and having a kid took my free time away. The multiplayer is unfinished because I do not usually have long enough blocks of free time to do the kind of work that needs to be done with it.


Somebody really needs to get on this. Honestly, the community would HUGELY benefit from having a functional multiplayer experience for Duke3D. Even the hack around that Vinny and I use isn't perfect. (Using YANG and an older version of the game).

Life has to take first position obviously... :)
2

#3623

View PostFox, on 03 June 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

A while ago I was working on a more efficient (at least for me) rain code. I believe at this point there are plenty of rain codes, but I made one that satisfy myself. This may be a little complicated to explain.

Most of the rain codes essentially spawn rain particles on an area above the player. Whenever the player is moving, there will be a noticeable different number of particles towards the position he is moving to.

In the case of the code I created, I made so that whenever the players moves, the particles out of range will spawn on the other side of the rain area, for both horizontal and vertical directions. It took a lot of work to make this work properly, and was quite a logic challange, but I am satisfied with the result.


That's a great idea! I only did it for a starfield in a sidescroller before, so I understand the concept. So out of curiosity, for the boundary around the player that instructs the particles to teleport, did you choose a square, or did you dare try it with a circle?

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 05 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#3624

It functions as a square, since that's how I make the offset with x-y coordinates. But some partciles are hidden in order to make it looks like a circle. It would have been mind blowing to make that with a real circle (I tried).
0

User is offline   Forge 

  • Speaker of the Outhouse

#3625

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 June 2009 - 01:41 AM, said:

The average length of time between someone contributing to a Duke project and the contribution seeing the light of day is somewhere between six months and six hundred years....


ah, the wisdom of the ancients...

they should change the title of this thread to "best screen shot of stuff nobody will ever see"
2

User is offline   Mark 

#3626

I resemble that remark. :)
0

User is offline   Mark 

#3627

I'm guilty as charged. :)

This post has been edited by Marked: 06 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#3628

No, because you're going to release your stuff http://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/dukeangry.gif
0

#3629

View PostForge, on 06 June 2012 - 03:07 AM, said:

ah, the wisdom of the ancients...

they should change the title of this thread to "best screen shot of stuff nobody will ever see"


That's what I love about Duke. One-man projects are still feasible.
0

User is offline   Diaz 

#3630

3 out of 6 levels from the new Fusion episode are finished and work is steadily progressing, so in my case I'd say you can be sure it will be released before this year ends. And since core functionality is already there, if I can't finish all 6 levels, I'll release what I have :)

As a bonus here's screens of test stuff I'm doing just to gain experience with Polymer lighting...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1305/capt0000.th.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5678/capt0001.th.jpg
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9797/capt0002d.th.jpg

This post has been edited by Diaz: 06 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

11

Share this topic:


  • 335 Pages +
  • « First
  • 119
  • 120
  • 121
  • 122
  • 123
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options