Duke4.net Forums: Erratic frame pacing. - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Erratic frame pacing.

With vsync enabled, there are moments where it feels like your fps drop but they don't. Setting fps offset to -1 fixes it. Tested on r8265.

I first noticed it on Ion Fury 1.02 (gog), using the provided binaries.

https://forums.duke4.../page__st__3736

It's not as noticeable in Duke3d maps but Ion Fury was almost unplayable.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 31 October 2019 - 05:19 PM

User is offline   Mr. Death 

Okay- so I decided to finally get to the bottom of this problem...

After combing through many different builds of eduke32 I finally found it! 8031 is the exact synthesis that the horrible vsync stuttering/pacing issue appears in. 8030 and back all seem to work fine.

Lazy Dog, if you read this try out 8030 and then 8031 to see if this is indeed the same problem that you're having!

Mr. Death, on 06 December 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

Okay- so I decided to finally get to the bottom of this problem...

After combing through many different builds of eduke32 I finally found it! 8031 is the exact synthesis that the horrible vsync stuttering/pacing issue appears in. 8030 and back all seem to work fine.

Lazy Dog, if you read this try out 8030 and then 8031 to see if this is indeed the same problem that you're having!

No, both versions run without stuttering for me. Tried last synthesis build and seems to be fixed, but i can't test Ion Fury, it gives me a "palette not found" error.

Lazy Dog, on 07 December 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

No, both versions run without stuttering for me. Tried last synthesis build and seems to be fixed, but i can't test Ion Fury, it gives me a "palette not found" error.

Hmm...that's weird.

Like I said, starting with 8031 is when the vsync stuttering is introduced on my end, 8030 and back is perfectly smooth.

I just tried the latest synthesis as well (8412), and the stuttering is still there for me. Hopefully the devs will look into this and report back what might be causing it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Did you try the different values of the setting mentioned in the r8031 commit message?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r8031 | terminx | 2019-08-16 04:11:22 -0500 (Fri, 16 Aug 2019) | 6 lines

Add r_swapcomplete cvar to control what happens after SDL_GL_SwapWindow()

0: do nothing
1: glFinish()
2: busy loop until currentVBlankInterval
3: glFlush()

Finally was able to test Ion Fury on r8412, Frame pacing issues are gone for me. Thanks!

Hendricks266, on 07 December 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Did you try the different values of the setting mentioned in the r8031 commit message?

r8031 | terminx | 2019-08-16 04:11:22 -0500 (Fri, 16 Aug 2019) | 6 lines

Add r_swapcomplete cvar to control what happens after SDL_GL_SwapWindow()

0: do nothing
1: glFinish()
2: busy loop until currentVBlankInterval
3: glFlush()

Nope, I just tried all of those and they make no difference, I still have horrendous stuttering :lol:

Also, for some reason "r_swapcomplete 3" doesn't register for me, it just shows "r_swapcomplete 2" when I press enter.

Here's my original bug report that I made for this issue: https://forums.duke4...-vsync-enabled/

Like I said there, it only seems to get really bad when enemies are on screen or I enter a new area, almost as if it's a streaming issue. But if I set the frame rate limiter to the same value as my refresh rate, then make the offset -1 it's totally smooth!

Starting with 8031 is where the problem shows up. When I play with the FPS displayed I can see that the frames jump wildly above & below my refresh rate when the stuttering occurs. 8030 is completely smooth and never hitches or stutters w/ vsync enabled.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Can you see if typing "restartvid" helps after changing that cvar?

TerminX, on 07 December 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

Can you see if typing "restartvid" helps after changing that cvar?

No, that doesn't help either...stutters like crazy!

I don't know what happened, but the vsync performance in 8030 is pretty much perfect.

Would it be at all possible to make an up-to-date test build that removes the changes in 8031 that I could try? Sorry in advance if that's a ridiculous request, I admittedly don't know anything about coding/developing :/

• Weaponized Autism

For those with the stuttering, what are your system specs? OS, CPU, and GPU in particular.

If using NVIDIA, does enabling Threaded Optimization for the game(s) in the driver control panel help any?

Hendricks266, on 14 December 2019 - 12:51 PM, said:

For those with the stuttering, what are your system specs? OS, CPU, and GPU in particular.

If using NVIDIA, does enabling Threaded Optimization for the game(s) in the driver control panel help any?

I tried both enabling & disabling Threaded Optimization in my control panel and it made no difference. I also tried forcing vsync through the control panel as well but it stutters just the same.

Here's my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2.4GHz)
NVIDIA Geforce 9800GT (512MB)
4GB RAM
Windows Vista 32-bit

Again, I know my PC is a total dinosaur, but previous builds (8030 and back) seemed to run flawlessly on it.

• Weaponized Autism

Please post here: https://forums.duke4...ing-megathread/

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options