Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32

View PostHellFire, on 20 February 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

2) How can i clear unnecessary binds? Usually you can just clear them with backspace or delete or whatever, but in nblood this isnt possible, apparently.

You press CTRL+DEL to clear binds in the key setup menu, as it worked in the original game.

User is offline   HellFire 

Yeah that worked, thanks. I always prefered to use the setup program to set the keys, thats why i didnt knew about that. Still, when reopening nblood it rebinds these keys again. I guess this is a bug.

This post has been edited by HellFire: 21 February 2019 - 06:52 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHellFire, on 20 February 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

2) How can i clear unnecessary binds? Usually you can just clear them with backspace or delete or whatever, but in nblood this isnt possible, apparently. I tried editing the .cfg file manually by deleting the lines with the binds i didnt needed, but when starting nblood again it rebinds these functions again, i dont think this is how it should be.

Ctrl+Del just like in the original game

edit: oops, beat me to it. Well now that's a useless post.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 21 February 2019 - 07:10 AM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostNukeYKT, on 12 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hi there :)
After months of hard working NBlood is finally ready to be released.
NBlood is a Blood port based on EDuke32.
Some features i'd like to highlight:
-High accuracy. NBlood can play 1.21 internal demos accurately
-Multiplayer(not quite stable atm)
-Software & OpenGL(polymost) renderers are available
-CD audio, accurate FM OPL3(SB/AdLib) emulation
-DEF/HRP support

Download
Source code

Are you also going to implement a good way to play Cyptic Passage and Plasma Pak? Currently, people on this thread have been saying to use BAT files in order to do that.

This post has been edited by Master O: 21 February 2019 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Plasma Pak has always been selectable as the Post Mortem episode.

User is online   Phredreeke 

I think in the next release (when ART files in the root folder will no longer override those in the chosen subfolder), the best way to deal with Cryptic Passage will be to place it in its own folder, and rename CPART07.AR_ and CPART15.AR_ to TILES007.ART and TILES015.ART, and CRYPTIC.INI to BLOOD.INI.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 21 February 2019 - 10:38 AM

i just wish we could use mapster with this.

Hey I have a save that crashes every time I load it. I can send the save somehow if you want to see it...

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Satchel_Charge: 21 February 2019 - 02:57 PM

User is offline   Trov 

View PostNash, on 15 February 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

I have some suggestions:

- Ability to launch Cryptic Passage from the startup launcher (I currently get my game data from GOG.com)

You can set this up already:

- Make a folder called "cryptic"
- Move all CP__.MAPs in there
- Move CRYPTIC.INI in there and rename it to BLOOD.INI
- Move CPART07.AR_ and CPART15.AR_ in there
- Rename CPART07.AR_ to TILES018.ART and CPART15.AR_ to TILES019.ART

Then select Cryptic as an addon in the launcher. Works perfectly fine with proper textures. Only issue is the menu plays back the stock Blood E1M1 demo keypresses on the Cryptic Passage map1, which humorously still reveals the underwater secret at the start.

View Postaxl, on 12 February 2019 - 11:57 AM, said:

PS: Probably well known, but for those who don't, in order to play Cryptic Passage with Nblood, just put the files in the same folder and create a batch file with the following information:

The above method is another alternative that works without batch files or shortcuts required

View PostPhredreeke, on 21 February 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

I think in the next release (when ART files in the root folder will no longer override those in the chosen subfolder), the best way to deal with Cryptic Passage will be to place it in its own folder, and rename CPART07.AR_ and CPART15.AR_ to TILES007.ART and TILES015.ART, and CRYPTIC.INI to BLOOD.INI.

This already works if you rename the CPARTs to TILES018.ART and TILES019.ART, which will cause them to be loaded (I guess NBlood will check for any TILE###.ARTs in incrementing order) after the stock TILES.ARTs and overwrite the tiles from the stock ARTs, rather than overriding the entire ART files

I think the best way would be to list it as Episode 6 in the main menu like BloodGDX does it, though I understand that would probably require effort for conditionally loading ARTs per episode

My only suggestion would be for the skyboxes to be cylindrical by default like in the Classic renderer/the original DOS game, rather than the Duke3D style flat 2D skies

This post has been edited by Trov: 21 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrov, on 21 February 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

- Rename CPART07.AR_ to TILES018.ART and CPART15.AR_ to TILES019.ART

I've already seen users make the mistake of thinking this is a set-it-and-forget-it fix and then wonder why the art is broken in the non-Cryptic episodes. It's better to rename these files to TILES007.ART and TILES015.ART so it is clear what they are.

I think the best way would be to list it as Episode 6 in the main menu like BloodGDX does it, though I understand that would probably require effort for conditionally loading ARTs per episode

The best simple option for a source port would be to show Blood: One Unit Whole Blood and Cryptic Passage as two choices in the startup window. Listing Cryptic as the sixth episode is cool but the implementation requirements of such a feature are better suited for a small mod rather than hacks embedded in the source port. The mod could be shipped in nblood.pk3 and advanced settings could allow disabling it.

My only suggestion would be for the skyboxes to be cylindrical by default like in the Classic renderer/the original DOS game, rather than the Duke3D style flat 2D skies

Yeah, the dev team isn't happy with the way Polymost skies are. They're the same across all Build games btw, and the difference is only between renderers. Classic draws the sky panels in screen space, independent of game world perspective. Polymost approximates this using what OpenGL 1.1 had available in 2004ish when Ken was writing Polymost and the result misses the mark.

User is offline   Trov 

View PostHendricks266, on 21 February 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

I've already seen users make the mistake of thinking this is a set-it-and-forget-it fix and then wonder why the art is broken in the non-Cryptic episodes. It's better to rename these files to TILES007.ART and TILES015.ART so it is clear what they are.

It doesn't, it's only loaded if you pick the "Cryptic" addon folder in the launcher as described in the steps, because you put those tiles in that addon folder. You can't access the original episodes if you load it this way, same as the original game, only Cryptic Passage appears in the episode list. It's a sensible way to do it because it's effectively a mod episode, similar to newer ones like Deathwish.

Yeah, the dev team isn't happy with the way Polymost skies are. They're the same across all Build games btw, and the difference is only between renderers. Classic draws the sky panels in screen space, independent of game world perspective. Polymost approximates this using what OpenGL 1.1 had available in 2004ish when Ken was writing Polymost and the result misses the mark.

Blood's DOS version (and NBlood's classic renderer) at least mapped it to a 3D cylinder, which looked a lot better when looking up & down than Duke/SW's DOS versions did

This post has been edited by Trov: 21 February 2019 - 09:11 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTrov, on 21 February 2019 - 09:05 PM, said:

Blood's DOS version (and NBlood's classic renderer) at least mapped it to a 3D cylinder, which looked a lot better when looking up & down than Duke/SW's DOS versions did

The engine gives the game options for how to display the skybox.

if (parallaxtype == 0 || no_radarang2)
            {
                n = mulscale16(xdimenrecip,viewingrange);
                for (j=xb1[z]; j<=xb2[z]; j++)
                    lplc[j] = ((mulscale23(j-halfxdimen,n)+globalang)&2047)>>k;
            }
            else
            {
                    lplc[j] = ((radarang2[j]+globalang)&2047)>>k;
            }

if (parallaxtype == 2 && !no_radarang2)
            {
                n = mulscale16(xdimscale,viewingrange);
                    swplc[j] = mulscale14(sintable[(radarang2[j]+512)&2047],n);
            }
            else
                clearbuf(&swplc[xb1[z]],xb2[z]-xb1[z]+1,mulscale16(xdimscale,
 viewingrange));

I've already seen users make the mistake of thinking this is a set-it-and-forget-it fix and then wonder why the art is broken in the non-Cryptic episodes. It's better to rename these files to TILES007.ART and TILES015.ART so it is clear what they are

Reason I suggested TILES018.ART and TILES019.ART was that in the first release, ART files in NBlood's root folder overrode those in the selected subfolder. Once the next version comes out, having their true names would indeed be preferable. (and in either case, only for the Cryptic subfolder, not the root folder)

User is offline   nightsmoke 

Awesome port! Much appreciated!
It works just fine with my Blood Texture Pack.

Can we get Mapster32 for this port, pretty please?

User is offline   daMann 

Or even Mapster like 😀

User is offline   Mr. Death 

Hey Hendricks266- any news on if you guys are close to coming up with a fix for the flashing textures/objects bug in the 32bit version of EDuke32? I asked about it in the bug reports thread a while ago but I never heard a response, and I assume this bug might be one of the reasons why there hasn't been a 32bit version of NBlood & Rednukem yet. Just wondering.

BTW great job on the new builds of EDuke32 w/ the improved mouse movement, it feels much better now :)

User is offline   Dzierzan 

So... I dunno if it's port's problem or maybe it is working actually correctly here... Let me explain, if you use alt fire for Tommy Gun, the screen is shaking. It doesn't in DOS. Although you can see a slight screen movement towards up if you use alt fire for akimbo mode.

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

View PostDzierzan, on 23 February 2019 - 03:41 AM, said:

So... I dunno if it's port's problem or maybe it is working actually correctly here... Let me explain, if you use alt fire for Tommy Gun, the screen is shaking. It doesn't in DOS. Although you can see a slight screen movement towards up if you use alt fire for akimbo mode.

I think this is due to NBlood uses fixed point number for up-down looking angle. It had horrible accuracy in original build engine. I'm not sure should i 'fix' it

View PostNukeYKT, on 23 February 2019 - 06:45 AM, said:

I think this is due to NBlood uses fixed point number for up-down looking angle. It had horrible accuracy in original build engine. I'm not sure should i 'fix' it

Since the tommy gun's alt-fire doesn't shake in DOS, it shouldn't do that in your port, either.

Yeah, right now it feels like Devastator from Duke3D.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

The Devastator doesn't shake the screen...

But it produces that effect without shaking with animations and missiles, I was talking about the feeling of using it, not literally.

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 24 February 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostSatchel_Charge, on 21 February 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

Hey I have a save that crashes every time I load it. I can send the save somehow if you want to see it...

Posted Image

The save is attached to this post for anyone interested (I know at least 1 because I received a PM). You'll have to change the extension from .txt to .sav

Attached File(s)

Bone Eel crashing the game? O_o That's pretty rare and I managed to get it only twice thru all years of Blood playing in vanilla, first being in copy of shareware but in similar area, second in some addon map.

User is offline   MrEWhite 

View PostDzierzan, on 23 February 2019 - 03:41 AM, said:

I don't have this issue. Stood still and used the alt-fire and my screen didn't shake.

User is offline   Trov 

Probably the only thing I don't like compared to BloodGDX is the sound, it feels like a lot of sounds aren't panning properly or sound like they're coming from the wrong direction entirely, or cut off randomly. I don't know how much of this is a carryover from EDuke32 or if it's something specific to NBlood.

Additionally a couple quality of life features like automatically resuming a save from death instead of fork start or an option to show level stats (kills, secrets) in the automap only would also be very appreciated

This post has been edited by Trov: 25 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Regarding sound, You might want to try having SFX volumes set to 100%, the sound system has some weird quirks that date back to DOS days.
Without this some sounds can get cut too early or get reduced to some weird popping/crackling when you're far away.. this is a common issue.

View PostNukeYKT, on 12 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hi there :)
After months of hard working NBlood is finally ready to be released.
NBlood is a Blood port based on EDuke32.
Some features i'd like to highlight:
-High accuracy. NBlood can play 1.21 internal demos accurately
-Multiplayer(not quite stable atm)
-Software & OpenGL(polymost) renderers are available
-CD audio, accurate FM OPL3(SB/AdLib) emulation
-DEF/HRP support

Download
Source code

Out of curiosity, are you gonna compile another release in the near future or are you going to incorporate it into the main eduke32 code? Something else?

This post has been edited by Master O: 26 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

Not that this is a "portwar" or anything, but the port I will end up using mainly is the port that is given the most care and regular updating, and which port is most authentic to the original in the end. Right now I'm still using GDX mainly because I feel it is more polished and runs better for me. I don't give a piss about it being on Java as long as it does it's job.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but would it be possible to extend the tint function in the DEF language to allow saturation to be adjusted? This would be very useful for simulating PLU 6, which is desaturated but not to the point of being grayscale.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options