Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32

MetHy, on 16 February 2019 - 07:25 AM, said:

Why? Trading HP for ammo is a game mechanic. It's up to the player to see if it's worth it to trade some HP; and in some cases when used as a turret, it definitely is worth it.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm saying.
Right now it's not possible to select the Life Leech by cycling through the weapons using the "Next Weapon" and "Previous Weapon" keys if it is out of soul ammo. This is standard eduke32 behavior as in Duke 3D there's never a case where you can use a weapon without ammo.
But since in Blood you can use the Life Leech indefinitely by sacrificing your own HP, it's probably desirable to have the weapon show up in this rotation at all times, as long as you picked it up.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Couldn't get multiplayer working, tried everything. Friend can't join my server and I can't join his.

thricecursed, on 16 February 2019 - 08:49 AM, said:

Couldn't get multiplayer working, tried everything. Friend can't join my server and I can't join his.

Make sure the port is being forwarded properly on the host's end.
It worked fine for me and a friend, and we only got a single random desync in 3 hours of gameplay.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Yeah, did all that. I'm not sure what else I could try. Everything's allowed through the firewall, etc.

User is offline   Jim 

since this is based upon eduke32, it something like this possible?

"I got this idea from the remakequake project, basically, The remakequake mod can read Quoth and nehahra maps, and replace their weapons/monsters with its own, thus creating a new playing experience.

Something like this could potentials work for Blood/Duke. The Blood port can read duke maps and replace the enemies. Of course the items and monsters won't match up exactly, but with a little bit of tweaking I think it could work. Some of the medieval/horror duke maps would work really well with Blood enemies and weapons "

User is offline   Mark 

It would be a lot more than a little tweaking to match up enemies and items. Also, every wall, ceiling and floor texture will need to be redone. A checkered floor tile in the map might be tile number 3340 in Duke and 4455 in Blood.

This post has been edited by Mark: 17 February 2019 - 10:45 AM

User is offline   leilei 

Quake had individual art assets organized as files with names. Build games don't and that old common "replace quake ents" concept that many TCs and partial conversions had to do in 97 (not remaqe's idea) can't easily apply here unless Build was very much reworked to lose the tile system (in which it requires to run the original games). And then there's the palettes and the tables related to them, as well as the game logic being completely separate systems....

I know you want caleb vs duke dream match but there's hard reasons why these don't happen

This post has been edited by leilei: 17 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

Excellent release. One bug though - I tried kicking the three heads into the mouth in dark carnival but it didn't trigger the secret.

User is offline   beer 

Out of curiosity, do you plan to eventually merge support for multiple build engine games into eduke32, similar to how doom+heretic+hexen+strife work with various Doom engine ports, or will these always be separate projects? I noticed you have NRedneck up on github as well

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Build games all come from the stock but everyone added their own blend of spices to their taste and some decided that it just needed some cream instead.
Unfortunately mixing those would result in a mess.

You do have some games based on Duke, but a nice oven bake and cheese on top. Same from the inside but extra crust on the outside.
Some games like SW are like two pasta dishes done by different regions, they both get the taste but neither can agree on the recipe.

To a degree, you can extract the unique flavors and do some fusion cooking.
But like the name says, it's "Build engine" and not "Duke 3D engine".

User is offline   beer 

oasiz, on 18 February 2019 - 10:48 AM, said:

Build games all come from the stock but everyone added their own blend of spices to their taste and some decided that it just needed some cream instead.
Unfortunately mixing those would result in a mess.

You do have some games based on Duke, but a nice oven bake and cheese on top. Same from the inside but extra crust on the outside.
Some games like SW are like two pasta dishes done by different regions, they both get the taste but neither can agree on the recipe.

To a degree, you can extract the unique flavors and do some fusion cooking.
But like the name says, it's "Build engine" and not "Duke 3D engine".

I guess that's one way to put it :)

It doesn't matter to me either way, just curious

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

They may not ever be all in one .exe file but they could be a folder of .exe files that you run, or get executed by a master launcher.

User is offline   Master O 

Hendricks266, on 18 February 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

They may not ever be all in one .exe file but they could be a folder of .exe files that you run, or get executed by a master launcher.

Essentially, separate .exes for Duke, Shadow Warrior, Blood, and then the expansion packs for SW and Blood?

• Weaponized Autism

Master O, on 18 February 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

Essentially, separate .exes for Duke, Shadow Warrior, Blood, and then the expansion packs for SW and Blood?

Why would the expansions be separate exes???

Hendricks266, on 18 February 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Why would the expansions be separate exes???

The way you phrased it implied the expansions would be separate from each other.

• Weaponized Autism

Master O, on 18 February 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

The way you phrased it implied the expansions would be separate from each other.

No one was talking about expansions, only Build games. All official expansions to Build games can be run from the exe of the parent game's source port.

Hendricks266, on 18 February 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

No one was talking about expansions, only Build games. All official expansions to Build games can be run from the exe of the parent game's source port.

Thanks for clarifying.

Hendricks266, on 18 February 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

Is Ion Maiden getting expansions? :)

• Weaponized Autism

Master O, on 18 February 2019 - 12:16 PM, said:

Is Ion Maiden getting expansions? :)

Off-topic.

User is offline   axl 

I just hope that both Rednukem and NBlood (and VoidSW or whatever name it will get) will receive regulary updates just like EDuke32 to achieve continous preservation of these build games.

This post has been edited by axl: 18 February 2019 - 12:18 PM

User is offline   Avoozl 

To be fair Blood and Shadow Warrior already had source/reverse-engineer ports before these new ones you are mentioning, it's not like they weren't already being preserved in some sense. However these previous ports do need updates and some fixes also.

User is offline   Hawke 

Thanks for your hard work!

NukeYKT, on 12 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hi there :)
After months of hard working NBlood is finally ready to be released.
NBlood is a Blood port based on EDuke32.
Some features i'd like to highlight:
-High accuracy. NBlood can play 1.21 internal demos accurately
-Multiplayer(not quite stable atm)
-Software & OpenGL(polymost) renderers are available
-CD audio, accurate FM OPL3(SB/AdLib) emulation
-DEF/HRP support

Download
Source code

Is that save bug where the damage increases every time you reload a save state still there? I remember people saying that was a longstanding bug in the original game, too.

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

Master O, on 19 February 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Is that save bug where the damage increases every time you reload a save state still there? I remember people saying that was a longstanding bug in the original game, too.

I've fixed this bug

User is offline   rlsprite 

Nice work with this! Color accuracy wise is very good, although the mouse feels like is going though some heavy smoothing... Anyway to disable this? Also nblood doesn't seem to show Cryptic Passage in the new game menu, only Post Mortem. Both of them show just fine with BloodGDX.

User is offline   axl 

rlsprite, on 20 February 2019 - 04:21 AM, said:

Also nblood doesn't seem to show Cryptic Passage in the new game menu, only Post Mortem. Both of them show just fine with BloodGDX.

This is normal. Cryptic Passage was a third party add-on and therefore never appeared as a 6th episode (just like Duke it out in DC, Caribbean, Nuclear Winter, ...). To play, just create a simple "bat-file" with the following content:

@echo off
ren tiles007.art bart007.ar_
ren tiles015.art bart015.ar_
ren cpart07.ar_ tiles007.art
ren cpart15.ar_ tiles015.art

nblood -ini cryptic.ini

ren tiles007.art cpart07.ar_
ren tiles015.art cpart15.ar_
ren bart007.ar_ tiles007.art
ren bart015.ar_ tiles015.art

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Honestly, I’m not too fond of batch files renaming files back and forth. They can have unintended consequences if they’re interrupted midway.

User is offline   axl 

Phredreeke, on 20 February 2019 - 05:15 AM, said:

Honestly, I’m not too fond of batch files renaming files back and forth. They can have unintended consequences if they’re interrupted midway.

True. But is there a better solution atm ?

User is offline   Tekedon 

Will the next update will incorporate map/addon playing similar to GDX? It's very userfriendly.

User is offline   HellFire 

I have one suggestion: it would be cool if nblood could detect CRYPTIC.SSI (from the original release of cryptic passage; on OWUB the files are loose, as you guys probably know) just like eduke32 can detect the caribean ssi file, this way loading cryptic passage would be just a matter of selecting it on the startup list.

I also have some questions:

1) What is the cleaniest way to organize mods? I was wondering if just having each add on as a sub folder and then selecting that folder on the startup window on the "Custom game content directory" dropdown would work but unfortunatelly it wont.

2) How can i clear unnecessary binds? Usually you can just clear them with backspace or delete or whatever, but in nblood this isnt possible, apparently. I tried editing the .cfg file manually by deleting the lines with the binds i didnt needed, but when starting nblood again it rebinds these functions again, i dont think this is how it should be.

This post has been edited by HellFire: 20 February 2019 - 03:57 PM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options