Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32

User is offline   RoyBatty 

Audio lags and clicks and pops like Rednukem.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Strange, not experiencing that on Linux either native or Wine?

Maybe post some more information about your system?

For me as far as mouse control I have filtering on but what I did was scale the y axis down to about 0.3, and then increase sensitivity to around 12.5 and everything matched and acted how I expected.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I didn’t recall any sound issues in Rednukem.

If the ROR is flawless in this, does that mean there’s scope to improve TROR in polymost? It’d be great to have that renderer on par with classic in that regard.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

From what I've seen, yes, ROR has no issues, even the parts that been troublesome in BloodGDX. Though my understanding is that ROR here is a completely different beast than eduke32's TROR.

User is offline   wangho 

View PostPhredreeke, on 12 February 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

From what I've seen, yes, ROR has no issues, even the parts that been troublesome in BloodGDX. Though my understanding is that ROR here is a completely different beast than eduke32's TROR.

If anyone plans a new mapedit, be sure to add limitless ROR, so no more distortion after the 6th or 7th upper/lower stacks

• Honored Donor

View PostPhredreeke, on 12 February 2019 - 03:32 PM, said:

I’m not sure what the internal differences are, but polymost isn’t perfect even for the simplest of cases that could easily be handled by regular ROR. I would have thought the main difference would have been how it’s implemented in the map itself, and that’s already handled correctly, it’s just the visual aspect holding it back. I know that TROR also has some fancier code to attempt to compensate for convex portals by (I think) automatically splitting up the portals into individual concave portals, but that shouldn’t effect the simple cases not working.

User is offline   malvado 

Will NBlood be aiming for very high demo playing accuracy on par with GDX?

A long time ago I recorded 5 demo files on DOSBox Blood 1.21 to test GDX's accuracy. No desync was experienced there. However I tried to play these same demos with NBlood and unfortunately encountered desync (not just mechanical gameplay, the ammo drops were different, too).

E3M1 desync: https://webmshare.com/6Z59D

Original demo playing on Blood 1.21: https://webmshare.com/WyRJ8

I understand the port is brand new and much is to be improved but I'm still curious if improving the gameplay accuracy much further is a high priority. Thanks.

This post has been edited by malvado: 12 February 2019 - 05:21 PM

User is offline   Master O 

View PostNukeYKT, on 12 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hi there :)
After months of hard working NBlood is finally ready to be released.
NBlood is a Blood port based on EDuke32.
Some features i'd like to highlight:
-High accuracy. NBlood can play 1.21 internal demos accurately
-Multiplayer(not quite stable atm)
-Software & OpenGL(polymost) renderers are available
-CD audio, accurate FM OPL3(SB/AdLib) emulation
-DEF/HRP support

Download
Source code

Keep up the good work. F--- Warner Brothers and anyone else there who kept the source code away from the Blood community!

This post has been edited by Master O: 12 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

User is offline   Manhs 

I played the 2 first maps, gonna continue to re-play the whole game with it, the feeling is delicious, so awesome! :D

I think, it needs just a bit faster mouselook speed in the options (even at the max, it's a bit slow for me)
Not sure if im wrong, but i feel like the framerate drop a little bit sometimes?

I shared your project in some fb groups and to some friends/contacts :lol:
First thing i watched when i played it was the color of the paint on the left when we start the first map, red/orange color ^^

Good job again! Good luck for the next updates and stuff :)

For the CD Audio, do the ogg/flac files go in nblood's root directory or a sub-folder, such as /music/ ?

User is offline   Manhs 

View PostMaster O, on 12 February 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

For the CD Audio, do the ogg/flac files go in nblood's root directory or a sub-folder, such as /music/ ?

Yes, put the ogg files in the nblood folder, and activate the options for CD music, it should work ^^

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Noticeable framerate drop going from Classic rendering to Polymost. GDX runs better at this point (also feels more accurate), but good job for a first release!

User is offline   supergoofy 

We had none ports for Blood and Redneck, and now we have 2 for each game. A big THANK YOU to all devs.

User is offline   axl 

Found a little bug... in Dark Carnival (E1M4), there's this carnival attraction where you have to kick 3 heads in the moving mouth in order to unlock a Death Mask. I tried this 3 times, but the secret never opened.

User is offline   Manhs 

Found a bug, in e1m3, the train, if i fall off of the train and go on the ground, i am supposed to die directly (if i remember on dosbox) but actually, it's like if i was on lava, hp goes down fast.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Great work! I have never played Blood for more than a few minutes until now. Playing level 1 for the first time, and I think I have found a bug.

I jumped up on the tomb roof and grabbed the akimbo secret upgrade. But after switching away from dual pistols using the next weapon key, I cannot switch back to them, it just takes me to regular single pistol. Pressing 2 whilst holding the single pistol does not switch to dual, either.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot -- didn't realize it's a limited time powerup.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 13 February 2019 - 01:58 AM

View PostManhs, on 13 February 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Found a bug, in e1m3, the train, if i fall off of the train and go on the ground, i am supposed to die directly (if i remember on dosbox) but actually, it's like if i was on lava, hp goes down fast.

Even in original game if you jump very quicly with a lot time in air you won't die immediately although health will drain very fast, else there would be no way to reach certain secret. Although here, hp drains a lot slower than original, you can jump around almost whole train.

I found that flare gun is more accurate than original, almost pixel perfect and it hits even if enemy is around the edge or only pixel stands out... or that autoaim is almost aimbot accurate.

Saves aren't compatible with original game, but if you manage to do that try make correct solution to preserve autoaim because for ex. in Bloodgdx even though saves are compatible but autoaim enabled in save from port will be permanently disabled in save played in original dos executable and to fix this, death and restart is needed.

It feels like you can breathe underwater longer or screen doesn't fade to black that quickly or that dark.

On a side note it feels like playing shareware all over again, even if I didn't tried kill non wounded enemies with doors they do squish bats very quickly. :)

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 13 February 2019 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   Oppressor 

I find that vehicles in death wish no longer kill you or enemies anymore. They do damage but its a lot less. Other than that this is great. Really good job!

This post has been edited by Oppressor: 13 February 2019 - 04:16 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Does anyone know how to patch in MusicallyInspired's SC55 pack?

View PostManhs, on 13 February 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

View PostOppressor, on 13 February 2019 - 03:45 AM, said:

I find that vehicles in death wish no longer kill you or enemies anymore. They do damage but its a lot less. Other than that this is great. Really good job!

I think both of these use the same effect.

In DOSBox, each frame of touching the floor on the train level does ~19 damage on skill 0, ~27 damage on skill 1, ~33 damage on skill 2, ~40 damage on skill 3 and ~48 damage on skill 4 and above. (with small deviation of +/- 1 damage)
In NBlood, each frame only deals roughly 1 damage on skill 0, up to 3 damage on skill 4. This may just be a small mistake in the damage calculation for this particular effect.

(I tested this by using jump buffering, i.e. holding the jump button while in the air. I'm not sure if this equals exactly to one frame of touching the ground)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 13 February 2019 - 05:57 AM

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 13 February 2019 - 05:54 AM, said:

I think both of these use the same effect.

In DOSBox, each frame of touching the floor does ~19 damage on skill 0, ~27 damage on skill 1, ~33 damage on skill 2, ~40 damage on skill 3 and ~48 damage on skill 4 and above.
In NBlood, each frame only deals roughly 1 damage on skill 0, up to 3 damage on skill 4. This may just be a small mistake in the damage calculation for this particular effect.

I've already fixed this bug. I've misread damage floor code disassembly two times. In released NBlood version it does 16x less damage than supposed to

User is offline   VGA 

I get screen tearing, I enabled Vsync and restarted, I don't think Vsync is applied at all.

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

View Postmalvado, on 12 February 2019 - 05:09 PM, said:

Will NBlood be aiming for very high demo playing accuracy on par with GDX?

A long time ago I recorded 5 demo files on DOSBox Blood 1.21 to test GDX's accuracy. No desync was experienced there. However I tried to play these same demos with NBlood and unfortunately encountered desync (not just mechanical gameplay, the ammo drops were different, too).

E3M1 desync: https://webmshare.com/6Z59D

Original demo playing on Blood 1.21: https://webmshare.com/WyRJ8

I understand the port is brand new and much is to be improved but I'm still curious if improving the gameplay accuracy much further is a high priority. Thanks.

Please send me your demo file. I'll fix it

User is offline   Tekedon 

Screen is shaking a small bit when using alt-fire tommygun. It does not do this in the original.

User is offline   Krypto 

A stellar first release! It looks just like vanilla DOS, the sound driver is good and the mouse driver is smooth. May Tchernobog bless you with your future endeavours.

One bug I've noticed, you can't cancel a chat message by hitting escape.

View PostPhredreeke, on 12 February 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

I repackaged the old skyboxes for NBlood for those who like playing in Polymost. Just place it in the autoload folder.

Could you repackage the keyless file you made for GDX to work for NBlood please =)

• Honored Donor

It just occurred to me that neither this nor Rednukem have a news item on the Duke4.net home page.

View PostNukeYKT, on 12 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

Hi there :)
After months of hard working NBlood is finally ready to be released.
NBlood is a Blood port based on EDuke32.
Some features i'd like to highlight:
-High accuracy. NBlood can play 1.21 internal demos accurately
-Multiplayer(not quite stable atm)
-Software & OpenGL(polymost) renderers are available
-CD audio, accurate FM OPL3(SB/AdLib) emulation
-DEF/HRP support

Download
Source code

Regarding CD Audio support, can you make it so that the audio files are in a distinct folder? Currently, having them strewn about all over the root directory for nblood is a little cluttered and disorganized. Something like "bloodmusic" or "cdmusic" as a folder name.

Quakespasm has a music folder for its CD Audio (for Quake 1), as does yamagi-quake2 (for Quake 2), etc...

This post has been edited by Master O: 13 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostMaster O, on 13 February 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

Regarding CD Audio support, can you make it so that the audio files are in a distinct folder? Currently, having them strewn about all over the root directory for nblood is a little cluttered and disorganized. Something like "bloodmusic" or "cdmusic" as a folder name.

Quakespasm has a music folder for its CD Audio (for Quake 1), as does yamagi-quake2 (for Quake 2), etc...

It's that way because it's how GOG packages the audio. Take it up with them.

This post has been edited by Striker: 13 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

User is offline   Rimantas 

Will x86 Win XP compatible binary be available?

User is offline   leilei 

The only real bug i've ran into was whenever a fatal happens from trying to start a map in the console and has an input/window issue with the crash dialog on Win7 leading to manual task kill.

Also "palette emulation" gets grayed out when filter is off on polymost. You have to turn filter back on to alter that.

View PostRoyBatty, on 12 February 2019 - 02:13 PM, said:

Audio lags and clicks and pops like Rednukem.

Did you try 48000hz? Some onboard sound deals with 44khz badly as they're 48khz native at least, and 44khz native by default hasn't been for a very long time (pre-AC'97).

This post has been edited by leilei: 13 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options