Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] NBlood - Blood port based on EDuke32

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Old style palette emulation with filtering isn't the correct appearance.

The current polymost code uses a shader to get accurate colors rather than a bunch of incorrect and costly texture conversions. The downside is that it doesn't currently support filtering.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Oh man, Blood's colours are back! Damn, the game looks sooo good with the original colour scheme, the visuals are miles above BloodGDX honestly (though I dunno, sometimes it feels more vibrant than what I remember but I like it).

Overall this is a very solid first release, during my - adimittedly limited - playtime I only found one bug (BloodGDX had this too: sometimes burning enemies just run around in flames forever)... and well, that weird frametime jitter I'm having with all EDuke32 based games is there, I hope TerminX and the guys will find a solution for that eventually.

Also: before jumping in I played instagib in Quake for 3 hours straight and that may be a factor in my negativity but man, I really hope that aiming will be improved because it feels filtered, "consoley" and sluggish even with filtering turned off.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 13 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

• Evil Overlord

View PostZaxx, on 13 February 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

Oh man, Blood's colours are back! Damn, the game looks sooo good with the original colour scheme, the visuals are miles above BloodGDX honestly (though I dunno, sometimes it feels more vibrant than what I remember but I like it).

Overall this is a very solid first release, during my - adimittedly limited - playtime I only found one bug (BloodGDX had this too: sometimes burning enemies just run around in flames forever)... and well, that weird frametime jitter I'm having with all EDuke32 based games is there, I hope TerminX and the guys will find a solution for that eventually.

Also: before jumping in I played instagib in Quake for 3 hours straight and that may be a factor in my negativity but man, I really hope that aiming will be improved because it feels filtered, "consoley" and sluggish even with filtering turned off.

View PostMblackwell, on 12 February 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

For me as far as mouse control I have filtering on but what I did was scale the y axis down to about 0.3, and then increase sensitivity to around 12.5 and everything matched and acted how I expected.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I don't have a problem with the y axis here, sure, it's a bit faster than x by default but it's fine, I usually only touch that setting if y is significantly slower than x. You'll aim horizontally most of the time in Blood and the game relies quite heavily on crouching anyway so no biggie there. Though sure, I'd prefer if the y axis equaled x.

I'm using a sensitivity that is considered rather high in most cases (around 20 cm / 360 degrees) so my swipes are fast and short but somehow here (and generally in EDuke32) they feel slower, like if the game had some negative mouse accel going around.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 13 February 2019 - 07:27 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I read MB's post and checked my numbers. Sens 14, y axis .334 filtering on. Feels good to me. Defaults were sluggish.

This post has been edited by Mark: 13 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Those sensitivities seem crazy high to me (as a comparison I'm at 2.3). :) What DPI are you guys using (1600 here)?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 13 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

User is offline   Mark 

No idea on my DPI. It makes no mention of it in control panel for my mouse. Its the stock mouse that came with my 9 year old Dell XPS 420 comp.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMark, on 13 February 2019 - 08:35 PM, said:

No idea on my DPI. It makes no mention of it in control panel for my mouse. Its the stock mouse that came with my 9 year old Dell XPS 420 comp.

My guess is 800 then, usually mice you can't set the DPI on come with 800. How much is the distance you have to move your mouse for a horizontal 360 degree turn?

User is offline   leilei 

View PostMblackwell, on 13 February 2019 - 06:51 PM, said:

Old style palette emulation with filtering isn't the correct appearance.

I know it isn't, i'm just reporting an interface bug here. The renderer does show a difference with it on/off with filtering off, but doesn't allow the toggling with the filter off. I'm assuming it was intended to be forced on with the filtering off for easy configuration's sake

(not that I would turn palette emulation off, i'd think i'd only want that off in the unlikely case of running this port on some 2003 gen hardware, and i'm content enough with an actual software renderer)

This post has been edited by leilei: 13 February 2019 - 09:28 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It'll probably be possible eventually; Polymer already interpolates the palatte in its shading system. In fact, the way polymer handles shading is more accurate than polymost's since its visibility is set by the shade tables. Then again maybe polymer doesn't allow it with filtering either... (I can't be bothered checking atm).

I'm playing on Well Done difficulty (well main reason is for cultists to throw the same bundle of dynamite as the player because single stick looks stupid), first episode yet there's only one Stone Gargoyle as final boss...

Also, vanilla Blood in OUWB has a bug preventing spawn more than 3 Priests/Beasts at once regardless of difficulty even on Extra Crispy or if mapper set it at 4 although it doesn't occurs for all people. Similar weird thing happens for final map of Post Mortem but here exit might lower even if only one Beast is killed, that might be related to difficulty bug how they were numbered/tagged.

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 14 February 2019 - 04:11 AM

User is offline   Manhs 

There is 2 Stone Gargoyle only at Extra Crispy difficulty if i remember...

View PostManhs, on 14 February 2019 - 04:50 AM, said:

There is 2 Stone Gargoyle only at Extra Crispy difficulty if i remember...

Not really, there are 2 on both Well Done and Extra Crispy every time and annoying because of that - not enough ammo to kill both. Similar thing is with E2M8 with 2 Mother Spiders but they are easier. Not sure about Cerberus though... must replay it again. Then again original game caused various phenomena like teleporting people to secret level from EP1 instead of EP2 Thin Ice, unlimited air under water or unlimited Vodoo Doll when hud is flickering etc.

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 14 February 2019 - 05:10 AM

User is offline   Manhs 

It's one on difficulty "Well Done" 4/5
BLOOD E1M7 dosbox - Well Done (not my video)
https://youtu.be/ieGjCMvzKSg

You get 2 boss yes but only on Extra Crispy (except for Tchernobog).
You can check by using cheat on the dosbox version to go on the last maps but i'm sure it's 1 boss for well done.

This post has been edited by Manhs: 14 February 2019 - 05:11 AM

View PostManhs, on 14 February 2019 - 05:10 AM, said:

It's one on difficulty "Well Done" 4/5
BLOOD E1M7 dosbox - Well Done (not my video)
https://youtu.be/ieGjCMvzKSg

You get 2 boss yes but only on Extra Crispy (except for Tchernobog).
You can check by using cheat on the dosbox version to go on the last maps but i'm sure it's 1 boss for well done.

Nope it did it for me double every time and I playing Well Done mostly if not all the time so you telling it's a bug then? nice. Most of cheats on my GOG version of OUWB 1.21 doesn't work so no mario or calgon for you, only whole playthrough. ;p

This post has been edited by HenitoKisou: 14 February 2019 - 05:31 AM

User is offline   Mark 

View PostZaxx, on 13 February 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

My guess is 800 then, usually mice you can't set the DPI on come with 800. How much is the distance you have to move your mouse for a horizontal 360 degree turn?

About 6 inches. I set it so I get a 90 degree turn with a flick of the wrist.

Surprisingly 800 works with these recommended 12.500 and ~0.3Y since I'm using second DPI mode with mouse from this set:
http://www.e-blue.jp...ekm801bkus.html
Although mouse filtering feels awful like drunkplay.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostHenitoKisou, on 14 February 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

Although mouse filtering feels awful like drunkplay.

Even when you turn it off somewhy. :)

View PostZaxx, on 14 February 2019 - 08:32 AM, said:

Even when you turn it off somewhy. :lol:

Playing in 640x480 witthout bmouse (sensitivity 131072) or with bmouse (sensitivity 32768), machine=vesa_nolfb provides similar "floaty" experience so I'm used to it. :)

User is offline   BloodShed 

A little suggestion for the next release.

Could you make a dummy dosbox.exe that starts nBlood.exe without passing the -conf parameter to it?

This allows the game to be started through Steam without generating an invalid parameter error.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I've previously added dummy handling of DOSBox parameters so you could drop-in replace dosbox.exe in the Steam copies of NAM and WWII GI. We could do the same here.

User is offline   BloodShed 

View PostHendricks266, on 14 February 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

I've previously added dummy handling of DOSBox parameters so you could drop-in replace dosbox.exe in the Steam copies of NAM and WWII GI. We could do the same here.

That would be awesome.

User is offline   Master O 

View PostHendricks266, on 14 February 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Since nblood now exists, will NukeYKT's work be incorporated into Eduke32 or will it remain its own separate release the way it is now?

This post has been edited by Master O: 14 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

• Evil Overlord

View PostZaxx, on 13 February 2019 - 08:25 PM, said:

Those sensitivities seem crazy high to me (as a comparison I'm at 2.3). :) What DPI are you guys using (1600 here)?

Yes around 800, with absolutely no acceleration (completely disabled at the OS level and the hardware level). I use a G402. I keep it at the default setting for most things and then shift up or down as necessary. Honestly moving a bit less than 2.5 inches is enough to go from one edge to the other of my screen on the X axis so I don't need usually feel the need for faster.

Since you are double the speed try halving the setting on the sensitivity and using the y axis I specified.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Managed to work around it by lowering the y axis a bit and increasing the senstivity to a point where my swipes started to feel fine: basically the higher sens compensates for the lack of speed and that's fine, after a few minutes of getting used to it I could flick shoot cultists without much of a problem.

Seeing all these great ports and IM makes me sad that I can't enjoy them though as that stupid frame time jitter is annoying the hell out of me. Any progress in that regard? Any additional information you guys might need?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 14 February 2019 - 11:14 PM

User is offline   beer 

This is fantastic! Thanks for the work on this. Blood is my favorite old shooter.

It compiled and runs great on linux (Solus). I'm astonished at how fast the game opens.. it is literally instant, great work on this.

I agree with others about the mouse look, it feels weird. I think the camera is tracking a world space plane that's always perpendicular to flat ground, it doesn't account for up and down pitch as the character's "head" angles up and down, so it's compressing the movement near the edges of the cone of vision.

User is offline   Nash 

Hey NukeYKT, this is an AMAZING port. I've never played Blood this smoothly on a modern machine before. Keep up the great work!

I have some suggestions:

- Optionally darken the viewport when the menu is up (font is hard to read without darkening)
- Maybe a separate graphic for the menu mouse cursor? Currently it uses the in-game crosshair, it's a little confusing
- Ability to launch Cryptic Passage from the startup launcher (I currently get my game data from GOG.com)

This post has been edited by Nash: 15 February 2019 - 09:52 AM

It seems that the "Next Weapon" and "Previous Weapon" keys skip the Life Leech if it is out of trapped soul ammo, even though it can use your HP.

I suggest including it in the rotation at all times.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 16 February 2019 - 07:11 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 16 February 2019 - 07:10 AM, said:

It seems that the "Next Weapon" and "Previous Weapon" keys skip the Life Leech if it is out of trapped soul ammo, even though it can use your HP.

Why? Trading HP for ammo is a game mechanic. It's up to the player to see if it's worth it to trade some HP; and in some cases when used as a turret, it definitely is worth it.

User is offline   RoyBatty 

Still having audio issues on both ports, I have no issues with Eduke32 latest build or otherwise. My audio is already set to 48khz otherwise other older games I play won't work correctly. I saw that Lunick also posted that he had the same stuttering when new sounds are played like Caleb's barks, but no one else has reported the clicking issues except me.

My system is thus, and I am running from a 2TB HD, same drive I run Eduke32 from.

Intel Core i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz
ASUS Z-97 Pro
16 GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 9-9-9-27
MSI GTX 1080ti 11GB
Corsair HX750i
Samsung 850 500GB SSD
13TB HD Storage
Corsair 450D
Razer Deathadder Elite
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
Razer Kraken 7.1 V2
DELL UP2716D (primary monitor)
Samsung S24C750 (2nd monitor)

:edit:

Game versions are retail CD versions, I have just about every release and then all act similarly.

This post has been edited by RoyBatty: 16 February 2019 - 08:23 AM

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options