• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SIGIL  "Split from "John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS""

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostNancsi, on 14 December 2018 - 07:09 PM, said:

he worst maps are those "city" levels like Citadel.

we must be mortal enemies from this point forward

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Man, Downtown was actually one of my favorites back then. I loved the idea of "clearing" the buildings one after the other. Felt like taking back a real city to me. D2 could have had more like that.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 December 2018 - 12:32 AM

User is offline   NNC 

I have never been a fan of the sandbox design, and that level was one of the biggest offenders.

Nonlinearity gets way too much credit from retro FPS players anyway. If it's not used well (and usually not used well), it results tedious, predictable backtracking combats and cheap key hunting. Fake nonlinearity is the best IMHO, when there is a quite clear linear path with no backtracking, but that path usually crosses itself from different angles (like in a shape of 8) giving a true oldschool 3D area look. No Rest for the Living for example did this trick brilliantly.

User is offline   malvado 

I also like Downtown. I've never disliked that map.

Anyway I heard people on Doomworld are getting mad and are complaining about Sigil for some reason which is quite funny to me. I'm really looking forward to it. I hope Romero does a new Doom II megawad, too, that would really make my day.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Rule 1: Don't take Doomworld's opinion on anything seriously.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNinety-Six, on 15 December 2018 - 08:32 AM, said:

Rule 1: Don't take Doomworld's opinion on anything seriously.

All they like are those funky colored megawads with quadzillions of enemies.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Its like 2 people on Doomworld making a fuss while everyone else is positive about it.
Cickbait post

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Much like Duke4.net it's very hard to gauge what's a shitpost and what's not if you don't frequent DoomWorld regularly. Might I suggest ZDoom's forums instead if you'd like a more sanitized internet experience.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 15 December 2018 - 11:25 AM, said:

Much like Duke4.net it's very hard to gauge what's a shitpost and what's not if you don't frequent DoomWorld regularly.

In the case of Duke4.net it's pretty easy to gauge that: if it was written by you then it's a shitpost, trooper. EZ.

Anyway I don't think Doomworld should be held in such high regard when it comes to the "professional opinion" on this wad, they have their own taste. For example based on what Romero has streamed so far I have to say that I'm not impressed since SIGIL doesn't look like something I'm looking for in Doom's gameplay but that's just me, for others it can be the perfect map pack.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 15 December 2018 - 11:50 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Doomworld can often be a cesspit of idiocy. People who know nothing about what they are talking about endlessly spouting complete bollocks.

There are a few people on there who know what they are doing, but they are few and far between.

For just one example, read this thread: https://www.doomworl...es-kickstarter/

EDIT: TL/DR: Tea Monster tries to help out the sprities and winds up single-handedly destroying the entire Doom Modding community!

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 15 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I spent some time on Doomworld.....what a nutty bunch. I didn't last long.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTea Monster, on 15 December 2018 - 12:35 PM, said:

EDIT: TL/DR: Tea Monster completely misunderstands what 99% of sprite lovers actually like about sprites and tries to monetize content that would traditionally be released for free, then winds up butthurt when DoomWorld does what DoomWorld does.

FTFY

This post has been edited by Jimmy 100MPH: 15 December 2018 - 04:33 PM

• Polymancer

You didn't read it either.

I've been trying to tell people that I actually do like sprites and was appreciating them in games before there were any 3D models. I made sprites for Duke Spookem (which were never used) and they were well received.
The reason I was going to monetise it is that it's not my main focus now. I would be taking time away from commercial projects, and I would want to devote the time to doing it properly, so I'd want some (not a lot) of comp for it.

I could argue this with you but at this point I don't care anymore and I don't think you do either.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You just want money dude, it's okay. But don't be butthurt because you were dumb enough to pitch this idea at DoomWorld instead of ZDoom forums. :)

User is offline   leilei 

Once upon a time there was a "doom bible" project progressing very well, that suddenly asked for over $1000 in crowdfunding to commission for character illustrations of the player characters.

Needless to say, it wasn't heard from since. In a community filled of quality non-commercial passion projects, "hey fellow kids you like doom? give me money to make doom thing" doesn't quite fit in well. It doesn't matter whether it's on Doomworld or not, and it's not limited to just Doom, either.

also the majority of doom players are way past the model novelty phase with only clunky engines and years of poor model format choices to go by. No matter how much high poly PBRness a doom whatever is, it'll never shake off the fixed tic movement and animation and will always look bad and stick out in a even flatter-looking world from the HD texture packs upping the texel density, etc.. The best place for it is in a portfolio where it won't visibly fall apart from unsuitable engine technology.

This post has been edited by leilei: 15 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Using some older free programs I recently figured out a way to take higher quality and plentiful .bvh skeletal animations and get them into an md3 model. That would be a good improvement in anims. But its a lot of work and there doesn't seem to be much reason to go through the effort.

• Polymancer

View Postleilei, on 15 December 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

Once upon a time there was a "doom bible" project progressing very well, that suddenly asked for over $1000 in crowdfunding to commission for character illustrations of the player characters.

Needless to say, it wasn't heard from since. In a community filled of quality non-commercial passion projects, "hey fellow kids you like doom? give me money to make doom thing" doesn't quite fit in well. It doesn't matter whether it's on Doomworld or not, and it's not limited to just Doom, either.

And, many years later, they are still saying "Why dosen't anyone make a proper high-res sprite replacement for Doom? Sigh!"

View Postleilei, on 15 December 2018 - 07:02 PM, said:

also the majority of doom players are way past the model novelty phase with only clunky engines and years of poor model format choices to go by. No matter how much high poly PBRness a doom whatever is, it'll never shake off the fixed tic movement and animation and will always look bad and stick out in a even flatter-looking world from the HD texture packs upping the texel density, etc.. The best place for it is in a portfolio where it won't visibly fall apart from unsuitable engine technology.

Sprites - It's about making sprites, not models. What's your name on Doomworld?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 16 December 2018 - 01:57 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, we are getting close now. The Neural Upscale 2x project seems to be the first time upscaled Doom graphics look right. If it didn't break the Sprite Fix mod I am using all the time, I would try it, too.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

Ahem ahem:
https://www.doomworl...ral-upscale-2x/

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostReaperAA, on 16 December 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

Damn. Actually shocking how good it looks.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 16 December 2018 - 01:57 AM, said:

Well, we are getting close now. The Neural Upscale 2x project seems to be the first time upscaled Doom graphics look right. If it didn't break the Sprite Fix mod I am using all the time, I would try it, too.

Yeah, that stuff looks pretty cool though it has some problems with the softpoly renderer (you get misalingned textures). I feel like these days softpoly is the way to go if you want to play classic Doom so that's kind of a bummer.

User is offline   VGA 

What is the softpoly renderer? Most people use GZDoom with the OpenGL renderer.

• The Sarien Encounter

It's OpenGL with real 3D camera viewing (no skewing for looking up/down) but it makes the palette and shading look 8-bit.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 December 2018 - 05:49 AM, said:

It's OpenGL

Is it? I have no idea but you need a pretty beefy CPU for it (it is more demanding than the software renderer) so my guess is that there isn't much GPU acceleration going on. I have an i5-9600k running at 4.6 ghz and stuff like No Rest for the Living can be quite the workout for it on softpoly.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 16 December 2018 - 08:59 AM

User is offline   fgsfds 

It's not. That's why it's called softpoly.

User is offline   leilei 

The OpenGL palette part mentioned happens in....... the GL renderer. It started from a shader hack I did which stirred interest, leading to the palette tonemap option (which uses a texture LUT to handle it).

Softpoly on the other hand was some kind of slow consolation for removing Randi's fast doom renderer for GZDoom feature conformance reasons (RIP)

View PostTea Monster, on 16 December 2018 - 01:45 AM, said:

Sprites - It's about making sprites, not models. What's your name on Doomworld?

That doesn't excuse the same problems when a rendered model of a completely different art style and method would still stick out. The only place where that worked is if the whole game was through the same art pipeline with visual consistency, like Redneck Rampage.

I haven't posted in DW for a decade. I've stuck to ZDF since the admins at least know how to recognize harassment and do something about it.

This post has been edited by leilei: 16 December 2018 - 07:59 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't know what I'm talking about. Don't listen to me.

• Polymancer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 December 2018 - 10:36 PM, said:

I don't know what I'm talking about.

You are not alone.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 17 December 2018 - 12:27 AM, said:

You are not alone.

I'm bummed we never got to see those custom Halloween models come to life.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options