• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SIGIL  "Split from "John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS""

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostNightFright, on 23 September 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

It's also distorted as Revenant100 pointed out over at Doomworld:
https://www.doomworl...um/post/2029349

C'mon, it's not like vanilla Doom doesn't have textures that are not corrected for the 4:3 aspect ratio. In fact, the one with a very similar design has the same issue of being "distorted".

View PostPutrid Pete, on 23 September 2019 - 11:04 AM, said:

Maybe I'm just too used to the old TITLEPIC, but for whatever reason the new one in 1.2 just feels... off for me. It certainly looks sharper and has more colors, but I kinda like how simple and easy to my eyes the picture from 1.1 was when compared to 1.2.

It appears like the version from 1.1 is produced from a simple scan of the box cover art, while the new version has likely been touched up manually (with a possible application of the sharpening filter beforehand).

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

LOL, that statement of mine was almost four years old. A bit late to quote me on that, eh? :P Anyway, I couldn't care less whether the textures are distorted or not. I want Sigil 2.

View PostNightFright, on 12 September 2023 - 02:59 AM, said:

LOL, that statement of mine was almost four years old. A bit late to quote me on that, eh? :P Anyway, I couldn't care less whether the textures are distorted or not.

True, I did not look at the date if your post. I don't care about the aspect ratio in DOS games much these days either, it's mostly a big mess (if you look at many games which were released for the platform in the 90s, or even in more modern times). Doom is for the most part relatively consistent about the aspect ratio, but certain textures are not, and I think it's perfectly fine -- although if someone decided to fix that and make the game's visuals 100pc consistent then it's fine too.

I've not really followed the SIGIL project so I thought the 1.2 release was new :)

User is offline   ck3D 

13:15 to skip the commercials.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Huh. ...John's gameplay was kinda bad. Not sure if he wasn't trying or what, but his enemy prioritization sucked and was the cause of most of his deaths.

Is the sky TNT's third episode but colored blue?

I wonder where this is set. Somewhere on a Hellified Earth, or is this yet another excursion in Hell? Would be kind of funny if so, since that would mean 5/6 of Doom 1 is set in Hell.

• The Truth is in here

So he's finished with it? That's good news.

User is offline   NNC 

View Postck3D, on 01 November 2023 - 01:34 AM, said:

13:15 to skip the commercials.

Based on this video, I probably skip UV this time, HMP is perfectly fine IMO. The levels look beautiful, and Romero still knows how to design Doom maps more than any other person, but putting like 8 shotgunners right at the start area against you is not fun even for seasoned players. Level starts should be a lot easier and it should escalate later on instead. Somehow this wasn't a big problem in Sigil 1, but this time it looks like a genuine issue.

I imagine it will be slightly less of a pain in the ass if you play continuous. That first level he showed off was E6M6, right before the penultimate.

• The Truth is in here

At first I thought this would be a megawad with 30+ levels. However, it rather appears to be another 9-level episode instead after all. A bit of a letdown, but I guess creating 3x as many maps wouldn't have been possible until the anniversary deadline in December.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 November 2023 - 12:38 AM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostNinety-Six, on 04 November 2023 - 10:29 PM, said:

I imagine it will be slightly less of a pain in the ass if you play continuous. That first level he showed off was E6M6, right before the penultimate.

Even E6M1 looks like a very hard one at the start. I generally don't like when maps start too loud and crowded and prefer build-ups instead.

View PostNinety-Six, on 01 November 2023 - 05:45 AM, said:

Huh. ...John's gameplay was kinda bad.

Maybe that's his playing style all along? Doesn't seem to interfere with his mapping skills, does it?

I mean, I was watching a video on StarCraft/StarCraft II multiplayer tournaments (apparently Blizzard dropped support for SC2 tourneys for good or something -- I've not watched this scene for a while), and there was a section on how the original game's balance was not calculated by the developers but sort of developed itself naturally as the game was played by the community, and the original multiplayer maps created by Blizzard did not really reflect these emergent gameplay properties that were discovered by players.

Perhaps there's something similar going on here, you look at Romero's playing style from the POV of a seasoned Doom player, while he as a game creator has a very different set of experiences, including likely not having played as much Doom as you did over these years.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 November 2023 - 05:07 AM, said:

Maybe that's his playing style all along? Doesn't seem to interfere with his mapping skills, does it?

I mean, I was watching a video on StarCraft/StarCraft II multiplayer tournaments (apparently Blizzard dropped support for SC2 tourneys for good or something -- I've not watched this scene for a while), and there was a section on how the original game's balance was not calculated by the developers but sort of developed itself naturally as the game was played by the community, and the original multiplayer maps created by Blizzard did not really reflect these emergent gameplay properties that were discovered by players.

Perhaps there's something similar going on here, you look at Romero's playing style from the POV of a seasoned Doom player, while he as a game creator has a very different set of experiences, including likely not having played as much Doom as you did over these years.

A bit offtopic here, but I'm wondering if Blizzard thought the so called SK Terran (Marine/Medic/Vessel combination) will take over their intended TVZ style so early. I think they also wanted more from some units liked the guardian, the scout, the battlecruiser, etc. which are all niche in competitive play.

As for Doom, I'm glad he doesn't follow the so called community style. I don't like the community output, it's so predictable and one dimensional, Romero's levels are much livelier and more interesting in comparison (he even found a creative way to use the fireblu in Sigil 2). My only concern is these starting room massacres, which seems to be a new addition, and it doesn't fix something is broken.

This post has been edited by The Watchtower: 05 November 2023 - 08:09 AM

View PostThe Watchtower, on 05 November 2023 - 08:09 AM, said:

My only concern is these starting room massacres, which seems to be a new addition

Doesn't E4M1 have a similar setup?

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 November 2023 - 09:19 AM, said:

Doesn't E4M1 have a similar setup?

Yep, and it's not a very good level for this reason. It should have only worked with the 4 medikits kept for UV and as a later level. E4M1, M2 and M6 should have been the last 3 levels before the boss. Hopefully no same mistake here. I also saw footage from the secret level, the starting room looks like Hangar's starting room, except it's already full of shotgunners, lost souls, etc.

View PostMrFlibble, on 05 November 2023 - 05:07 AM, said:

Oh I'm always aware of that possibility. The thing is though, I don't think it's particularly "professional doom player" levels to recognize that of a group of imps, zombiemen, and shotgunners, the shotgunners are by far and away the ones that should be taken out first. But he just kinda plinks away at the zombies and imps while the shotgunners paint the wall behind him with pieces of his stomach. That's why my first suggested explanation was "wasn't trying." Because I can't mentally bridge the gap between "recognize the shotgunners as a dangerous enemy" (which clearly he has to otherwise he wouldn't use them in the numbers he both does and did in UD and Sigil 1) and "but save them for last when playing it yourself" otherwise.

Just doesn't make sense to me in this particular case. Players surpassing the developers is just a natural fact of gaming, but this kind of prioritization (or lack thereof) would have struggled to get you to the end of Knee-Deep in the Dead (especially Computer Station which is stuffed with them).

User is offline   ck3D 

He's probably playing a bit wrong on purpose in order not to show too much and just the right amount of content for free, especially on the stream of a company that once was a strong, direct competitor I probably would do the same. Also gets people talking. Romero's on point.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 06 November 2023 - 12:31 AM

View Postck3D, on 06 November 2023 - 12:30 AM, said:

He's probably playing a bit wrong on purpose in order not to show too much and just the right amount of content for free, especially on the stream of a company that once was a strong, direct competitor I probably would do the same. Also gets people talking. Romero's on point.

That's also a valid explanation.

User is offline   jkas789 

So SIGIL 2 is out. What are y'alls thoughts about it. is it just me or does the 2nd wad feels underwhelming compared to the first one. Not that the level design is bad persay, but at least for me playing through SIGIL 2 felt more like a slog at times (specially with all the fucking cacodemons Romero just love using) in comparison to the first one.

I think, at least personally, that the absence of the super shotgun is really felt in this wad as well.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 19 December 2023 - 06:52 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

View Postjkas789, on 19 December 2023 - 06:51 PM, said:

So SIGIL 2 is out. What are y'alls thoughts about it. is it just me or does the 2nd wad feels underwhelming compared to the first one. Not that the level design is bad persay, but at least for me playing through SIGIL 2 felt more like a slog at times (specially with all the fucking cacodemons Romero just love using) in comparison to the first one.

I think, at least personally, that the absence of the super shotgun is really felt in this wad as well.

Of course starting one in here is just as à propos, but you may be interested in the discussion that's already been happening in the DooM thread, starts here: https://forums.duke4...post__p__380248

This post has been edited by ck3D: 19 December 2023 - 07:19 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

Ah my bad. I figured that this being the Sigil thread discussion will gravitate here. I’ll move my post to the Doom thread. Thanks for the recommendation mate.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options