• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SIGIL  "Split from "John Romero and Adrian Carmack's new FPS""

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Same here. There was some talk of resurrecting the project at some point. I even looked into doing something with Mark involving a Halloween map (very) loosely based on R'lyeh. TD had coded it so that the Lich Witch could raise up the dead mummies from a graveyard to do battle with player. If I say so myself, it would have been great. I think the worst thing was the manner in which it got shelved.

I'd developed a custom camera set-up in Blender to get the different sprite angles rendered. I could also animate the lights so that firing animations would properly light up the model on the right frames. You could also get backlighting on the sprites and all sorts of other cool lighting effects that you just couldn't do with a game model. Once you had that, just hit F12 and wait for the sprites to be deposited into the correct folder.

The only real problem that I had was getting the pallete swap to work on the rendered images. Blender kicked out 256 RGB images and converting them to Duke/Doom palette was problematical. Thankfully, the Duke Spookem sprites converted quite well without serious issues. If I were to do this to professional standard, I'd want there to be a clear WYSIWYG pipeline that would give me exactly the colours I wanted. There was a paid-for add-on that addressed this, but I wanted some back-up from the community before I plumped down the dosh for it. As you can see from the Doomworld thread, and even here, that never happened. There is probably some other way of dealing with the palette issue, but with the response I got (and that Duke Spookem never regained consciousness) I never investigated further.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So... shouldn't the release be close now? I am surprised we still don't have a fixed date in spite of "mid February" drawing near...

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Same. In fact just the other day I looked for information.

Nothin'.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Romero autographed the copies.
My guess is they are shipping soon and when they start to the release will be announced/released

• The Truth is in here

Well, fingers crossed for paying no taxes when shipping to Germany. If they send from Ireland it shouldn't be an issue, even though I already read there are some arrangements to kinda "refund" the customs tax. When buying the Beast Box, these 19% extra would really hurt.

User is offline   NNC 

Very long last two months waiting for Sigil. I hope it ends soon.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View PostNancsi, on 10 February 2019 - 11:14 AM, said:

Very long last two months waiting for Sigil. I hope it ends soon.

Got mail, saying shipment is delayed until sometime in april.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Uh oh.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postcybdmn, on 13 February 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

Got mail, saying shipment is delayed until sometime in april.

Da fuq? Will this affect the release of the map pack itself?

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 13 February 2019 - 06:09 PM

We dunno, Romero hasn't said anything.

I know he wants the Buckethead music to be going on while playing the maps, but I don't want to wait another two months just to play them. I can easily wait for my physical beast box, I'd rather not have to wait for the levels.

• The Truth is in here

But you cannot play without the spiked head statue on your desk. It's a must. Otherwise the maps are completely unplayable and don't make ANY sense whatsoever.

User is offline   fgsfds 

Well, fuck
https://twitter.com/...835123570872322

Attached Image: Screenshot_1.png

This post has been edited by fgsfds: 16 February 2019 - 03:55 AM

• The Truth is in here

If they are fair they should delay the release of the freeware wad as well. Anyway, could happen any day now. It's not like anyone who already ordered will cancel if the standalone edition is available sooner.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 February 2019 - 10:11 AM

The free wad IS delayed until the physical copies ship.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 16 February 2019 - 03:15 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I kinda hope some people do cancel because a bunch of bullshit came up and I just didn't have the finances for this. I fucking hate that people have to release this kind of shit around major holidays.

You'd want to join their waiting list then.
https://bit.ly/2SU5yvH

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Fuckin a man, thanks for the heads up. I did not know about this.

• The Truth is in here

Waiting list for what? To cancel the order? Or are they planning to enable more orders?

....so because the "head on a stake" paperweights OR Buckethead's soundtrack are causing issues for the physical release, the people who wanted the free WAD by itself (and I count myself among that number) have to wait.

:lol:

Also, if Romero did this SPECIFICALLY to release SIGIL on the week before (or OF) Easter.... :)

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 17 February 2019 - 09:35 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostNightFright, on 17 February 2019 - 12:53 AM, said:

Waiting list for what? To cancel the order? Or are they planning to enable more orders?

The initial offering was a pre-order that funded production. It appears they made more than how many were pre-ordered which is smart business to be honest.

User is offline   Lunick 

https://twitter.com/...737028571164672

Posted Image

I helped him choose some tracks of mine for the maps, and he also asked for title and intermission music. So, I composed new tracks for him that evening (he was on a deadline) and sent it off. He liked it. So it looks like I'm part of SIGIL, Doom's 5th episode. Still shook.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Fantastic!

Jimmy made the big time. Good for him; he's earned it. Always been a fan of his work.

• The Truth is in here

So there's going to be custom MIDI music even if you don't use the soundtrack from CD? Great! And more than well-deserved for Jimmy, too. I enjoyed working with him on the DukeDC soundtrack project, so Romero definitely picked the right guy for this.

Looks like that Sigil delay will pay off after all. But if that conversation was from last Wednesday, this means the game still isn't finished? O.o

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 March 2019 - 11:00 PM

He did say April.

Also if he's asking for music then maybe it's in the final stages?

• The Truth is in here

Well I guess it's just about fine-tuning now, and since there's still time he may have had second thoughts about having custom music for the maps after all.

User is offline   NNC 

I guess he is not our Jimmy.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Just the thought that there is more than just one...

• The Truth is in here

Well, it was posted by Jimmy over at the Doomworld forums.
Since this is the exact same Jimmy I was negotiating with about the DukeDC 2.0 soundtrack (still have his PMs in the mailbox over at Doomworld), I can say with 100% certainty that it is THE James "Jimmy" Paddock we are talking about.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 March 2019 - 01:06 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostNightFright, on 24 March 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

So there's going to be custom MIDI music even if you don't use the soundtrack from CD?

Makes sense. Like I said I think they just expect box owners to play the CD music seperately while playing the game, since afaik Doom sourceports have no CD music support, so I'm glad they're doing this, now each map and menu will have a track assigned to it specifically.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 March 2019 - 02:42 AM

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options