Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hi ck3d, AMC Pleaser is one of several maps that are optional side-quests. Not consulting you about its inclusion was an oversight -- sorry about that, but as you pointed out the Oostrum bros. were in the loop. Anyway, I wanted to include it because it has great classic looks and gameplay and never gets confusing.

User is offline   ck3D 

Ah, OK, I get it! Like I was saying no worries, plus I was out of the loop for a good while too, the oversight is justified when you guys had more important things to work on and worry about. I could sense your motivation when it comes to including the map from just witnessing how it seemed to play as part of AA as a bigger ensemble, and was honored to see it shine as such! I'm not one to overthink this type of stuff, credits are important but once a map or any piece of work is out there really, it stops belonging to its author and lives its own life, I'm glad this is the case here and the map is still being appreciated in 2020, what a trip. Maybe think of adding the missing credits somewhere (if they are even missing) during the potential next update even just in the .txt file or wherever it may fit (given the small scale of the 'contribution'), but that's just in case you're a perfectionist, either way it doesn't bother me and I didn't make that map to get personal attention but for people to enjoy it to its fullest so it's all good! Thanks for clarifying (and enjoying the map's qualities enough to include it), hoping to get to try this mod out soon!

This post has been edited by ck3D: 21 April 2020 - 03:37 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Credits are included already. The original readme file is included with the map, and in addition, everyone who made maps that were used but were not made specifically for AA was listed under the "Additional Credits" section in AA Credits.rtf

I would not go so far as to say that "any piece of work is out there really, it stops belonging to its author and lives its own life", I do think that the author should still have some veto power over how their work is used. As a rule of thumb, a reasonable effort to obtain permission should be undertaken if there are modifications to the map which impact the player's experience of it. A gray area is that even if the map is not modified at all, it will play differently when used in a mod (e.g. the player will have different weapons and there may be different enemies). However, if the map is not modified and credit is included, I would argue that permission is not required in that case. For AA, the maps included did have some cosmetic changes (decorations added by sebabdukeboss20) so that's why I said not contacting you was an oversight. I did actually get in contact with some people, for example Iggy who hasn't been around here in years, because we used his Edelheim map for an invasion match.

User is offline   ck3D 

Actually I totally agree with you, a big part of my job has to do with working with artists and due credits, consultation and whatnot are obviously the most fundamental thing when it comes to representing a person's work when it's supposed to speak for that person's vision, skillset and eventual earnings - so I kind of expected that fair rebuttal from you, taken out of context my point can easily become abusive. What I meant to say is in the context of my own (especially older) Duke maps, after they've been around for a while, I kind of expect either a dwindling of the attention regarding them or (in the 'luckiest' situation in this case) a renewal of said attention and usually that comes through people taking them for 'granted' (as though they had fallen into public domain, in a way) and then reinterpreting them - both only logical outcomes, in my opinion. My personal taste in artwork actually happens to seem to differ from sebabdukeboss20's in that quite an amount of those textures and decorative sprites I would never use myself because it's not my vision of the game (I do think his enemies are on point though), yet, despite that difference in general approach, seeing his take and twist on the map I thought was really cool, it was almost like rediscovering my own old work but seen through the eyes of someone else's and the fact that they would even consider repurposing its qualities I can't help but take as a form of appreciation, I was actually both flattered and humbled to see that level in there because never in my life would have I expected that to happen otherwise.

Now of course it's got to be a case-by-case basis, for instance if I released Blast Radius tomorrow and a week later someone would repurpose it into something different entirely in a direction I don't approve I'd probably get a bit more frustrated, but the situation altogether wouldn't be comparable for multiple reasons. Here I took it as recognition for something Maarten and I barely really tried for 10+ years ago (I don't even dare looking up the actual date we released it on) and was stoked to see that piece integrated into a new dimension.

If you ever need more 'classic' maps in that style and of that scale in the future, don't hesitate to hit me up, those really shouldn't take long to make for me now although I can never predict my availability or lack thereof (so don't count on it), but in theory I'd be happy to get to contribute with original contributions if you're ever looking for some (although I really don't think I could find the focus to do anything but for pure vanilla Duke if we're not just talking something as simple as a few extra .art files, I could always make basic skeletons of levels for someone else on your team to alter the aesthetics of later, exactly like they did here). The stars really would have to align in terms of timing though, to be honest.

Somehow, to me the subject of this discussion is pretty reminiscent of this concept: https://en.wikipedia...h_of_the_Author

This post has been edited by ck3D: 21 April 2020 - 05:08 PM

User is offline   Marya 

Well i'm gonna have to try this later now that i got a new pc ,but i have to ask does eduke32 work on windows10?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMarya, on 21 April 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

Well i'm gonna have to try this later now that i got a new pc ,but i have to ask does eduke32 work on windows10?

Yes.

User is offline   Marya 

I apologize, i've been out of the loop for awhile but what is the latest version of Eduke and does it work with AA?

tried to run the mod with the included Eduke and got the error: Cache space all locked up.

what i do wrong?

This post has been edited by Marya: 24 April 2020 - 06:57 PM

User is offline   Jim 

This is r8791 version of eduke32 with texture filtering restored. Works with both AA and the world Tour stopgap.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Marya 

View PostJim, on 24 April 2020 - 07:08 PM, said:

This is r8791 version of eduke32 with texture filtering restored. Works with both AA and the world Tour stopgap.
how does that fix my Cache is locked issue?

User is offline   Jim 

I wasn't replying to you. I was offering it for those that like to play with Texture filtering on.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 25 April 2020 - 04:48 PM, said:

how does that fix my Cache is locked issue?

Try using the latest Eduke32 and make sure you delete every temporary file in the folder.

https://dukeworld.co...8873-0aabd7f55/

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 April 2020 - 08:10 PM, said:

Try using the latest Eduke32 and make sure you delete every temporary file in the folder.

https://dukeworld.co...8873-0aabd7f55/
how do i know what are the temporary files?

i tried it without deleteing anything and i still got the same thing.

This post has been edited by Marya: 26 April 2020 - 09:46 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

A couple of issues I noted...

1) Bomshell's 1st person shotgun sprite appears to be like 1 pixel to short, I can see a 1 px (estimate) line below it when running.

2) At the start of DC's second level, if the winged cycloid boss crashes in the pool he will come back up underwater... Or rather his lower body will. Because of his height he will reach far past the height of the underwater sector, making most of him invisible (or, non-existant, really). Probably not a good choice of arena for that battle...

This post has been edited by necroslut: 27 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

OK I'll give the flying cycloid the can't enter water flag, but it will be a long time before there is another public update.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 26 April 2020 - 09:45 PM, said:

how do i know what are the temporary files?

i tried it without deleteing anything and i still got the same thing.

When in doubt, do a clean install and only port over your cfg files so that you don't have to set the controls again.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 April 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

When in doubt, do a clean install and only port over your cfg files so that you don't have to set the controls again.
the wierd thing is, the normal game will run it's only when i try loading AA that it says that.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMarya, on 27 April 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

the wierd thing is, the normal game will run it's only when i try loading AA that it says that.

The normal game doesn't have very much art compared with AA.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 April 2020 - 01:49 PM, said:

OK I'll give the flying cycloid the can't enter water flag, but it will be a long time before there is another public update.

Yeah, I know, I just thought you might want to know for when in case it hadn't already been picked up on.

User is offline   Marya 

Hmm somehow got it working, i see dukeboss has been busy and the rest of you. Thanks for the tips. so you use some HRP stuff why?

This post has been edited by Marya: 28 April 2020 - 07:53 AM

View PostMarya, on 28 April 2020 - 04:28 AM, said:

Hmm somehow got it working, i see dukeboss has been busy and the rest of you. Thanks for the tips. so you use some HRP stuff why?

What are you talking about? When did we use HRP?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I assume Marya is referring to the maphacks, which are used for voxel rotations.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostPhredreeke, on 28 April 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

I assume Marya is referring to the maphacks, which are used for voxel rotations.
i guess as some objects look 3d like they did from the HRP pack the pigcop tank fire hydrants and stuff I dunno...

I've noticed duke's quick kick doesn't kill slimers anymore, was this intentional or a bug? Shelly's works fine though.

This post has been edited by Marya: 28 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Those are voxels. They're not part of the HRP

User is offline   Marya 

View PostPhredreeke, on 28 April 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

Those are voxels. They're not part of the HRP
oh, well they reminded me of it also yeah i confirmed that Duke's quick kick does not kill slimers.... Shelly's does though. At least in the vr simulations.... what's with all the downvotes?

This post has been edited by Marya: 29 April 2020 - 05:49 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

The quick kick issue has to do with alternate costumes, and it's not just Duke. Essentially, the normal quick kick is canceled and a replacement animation is displayed on the screen, then a KNEE projectile is fired off at the correct time to simulate the hardcoded quick kick. But unfortunately the KNEE fired this way does not kill the slimer once it is attached. I even tried applying damage directly to the something_on_player actor but it didn't work. So until there is a fix for that, just press the fire button and it insta-kills them.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 April 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

The quick kick issue has to do with alternate costumes, and it's not just Duke. Essentially, the normal quick kick is canceled and a replacement animation is displayed on the screen, then a KNEE projectile is fired off at the correct time to simulate the hardcoded quick kick. But unfortunately the KNEE fired this way does not kill the slimer once it is attached. I even tried applying damage directly to the something_on_player actor but it didn't work. So until there is a fix for that, just press the fire button and it insta-kills them.
Alright, just letting you know I found that issue.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 April 2020 - 04:53 PM, said:

I noticed this too, but just assumed it was a concious gameplay change. Since the changes to quick kick done with v1.3D made slimers completely trivial. I honestly prefer them this way, now you actually have to do something about them rather than just hold the quick kick key down to be invulnerable.

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postnecroslut, on 30 April 2020 - 12:03 AM, said:

I noticed this too, but just assumed it was a concious gameplay change. Since the changes to quick kick done with v1.3D made slimers completely trivial. I honestly prefer them this way, now you actually have to do something about them rather than just hold the quick kick key down to be invulnerable.

Come to think of it, why would doing a front push kick remove something attached to your face?

uh oh...I feel a quick time event coming on...somebody stop me!

User is online   Ninety-Six 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 April 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

Come to think of it, why would doing a front push kick remove something attached to your face?

In fairness, it doesn't make much sense for something on your face to be killed by the barrel of your gun pointing another direction, either.

Of course it wouldn't make much sense if the gun barrel was pointed towards you, either... well, not the "surviving afterwards" part.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNinety-Six, on 30 April 2020 - 12:44 AM, said:

In fairness, it doesn't make much sense for something on your face to be killed by the barrel of your gun pointing another direction, either.

Of course it wouldn't make much sense if the gun barrel was pointed towards you, either... well, not the "surviving afterwards" part.

Sounds like you definitely want that QTE.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options