Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

ok. so after i finished episode 4 of AA with the old mod, i went and played DC in the latest updated version. and i found a slimer egg on the DC level. 1st level that is, that seems to be just a prop. it's by the blue card

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMr. Nukem Roses, on 21 February 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

ok. so after i finished episode 4 of AA with the old mod, i went and played DC in the latest updated version. and i found a slimer egg on the DC level. 1st level that is, that seems to be just a prop. it's by the blue card

probably
why? is there something wrong with it? Is it acting or looking weird?

I think there's another one in Capital Punishment as well.

if you think it's a bug - there are real eggs, and there are also sprites that are used as decoration for the ambiance (fake egg & the last two tiles in the egg-hatch animation set).
The fake egg and the other two sprites are not by themselves 'actors', so they are not destructible.
The real egg - and the subsequent hatching / hatched eggs retain their 'actor' code, so they are destructible.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 February 2019 - 10:58 AM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostForge, on 21 February 2019 - 10:25 AM, said:

probably
why? is there something wrong with it? Is it acting or looking weird?

I think there's another one in Capital Punishment as well.

if you think it's a bug - there are real eggs, and there are also sprites that are used as decoration for the ambiance (fake egg & the last two tiles in the egg-hatch animation set). The fake egg and the two sprites are not destructible.

I already asked about this one, Dan said it's a decoration left over from the orginal and he didn't know how to remove it, or something

View PostMarya, on 17 February 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

is this a common bug or what i forget, on the map Hell to the cheif ther's and unkillable slimer egg.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Marya: 21 February 2019 - 10:48 AM
Reason for edit: removed unnecessary pic

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMarya, on 21 February 2019 - 10:44 AM, said:

I already asked about this one, Dan said it's a decoration left over from the orginal and he didn't know how to remove it.

He knows how to remove it, he's just not going to.

-and you don't have to quote my post and keep the image in it if you're posting right afterwards - completely unnecessary (and slightly annoying) unless the forum has advanced your post onto a new page

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

User is offline   Marya 

sorry, the reply button adds the quote automatically, I'm still trying to remember that... on other forums there's a quote button instead of the reply button adding the quote.

This post has been edited by Marya: 21 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

User is offline   Zelanto 

I apologize for my English.
Thanks you for this mod.
Version 1.00 was great, but 2.00 with new monsters and NPCs is something incredible! DNAA brought more fun than all modern AAA games.

New game features and art made at the highest level.

For a complete happiness I miss only some transport for Duke/Shelly and spacesuit in inventory for maps in space.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostZelanto, on 21 February 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

I apologize for my English.
Thanks you for this mod.
Version 1.00 was great, but 2.00 with new monsters and NPCs is something incredible! DNAA brought more fun than all modern AAA games.

New game features and art made at the highest level.

For a complete happiness I miss only some transport for Duke/Shelly and spacesuit in inventory for maps in space.
The spacesuit was cut from the vanilla game so, yeah. it was orginally suppose to be used in space, like how scuba gear/snorkle is used in water.

On a side note is there any backstory for shelly? was she a dropped charater from a previous game?

This post has been edited by Marya: 21 February 2019 - 11:19 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, she was supposed to be in Duke Nukem Forever and got lost in translation at some point. There are trailers from a time 3DR used the Quake 2 engine where she appears in a few short scenes.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Duke doesn't have a backstory either, and if one is provided, people get mad. :)

I think of Bombshell in AA as an EDF operative who got assigned to work with Duke because they make a good team. I don't imagine that Duke works well with many others. In the beginning of New Invasion, she is working at an EDF base while Duke is on vacation -- she probably splits her time between fieldwork and administrative duties. I see her as somewhat sadistic with a bloodlust, and that comes through in some of her lines "so much blood...so beautiful!". That part of her personality was inspired by the voice actress, who I can tell you enjoys watching MMA fights when they involve a lot of blood.

I like the idea that her code name has some explanation that has nothing to do with her appearance. Maybe she did something crazy involving a bombshell once, I dunno.

User is offline   John Brown 

I just re-beat New Invasion, still a fun episode, but I am experiencing a new issue. During the ending, one of the slides is misaligned so that the top of the text is cut off (I am using 1920x1080 resolution in Polymost).

It's not a huge issue but I thought I'd mention it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0037.png

User is offline   Marya 

View PostNightFright, on 21 February 2019 - 11:40 PM, said:

Well, she was supposed to be in Duke Nukem Forever and got lost in translation at some point. There are trailers from a time 3DR used the Quake 2 engine where she appears in a few short scenes.
I also read that she got two games and she's going to be in this one game with Lo wang and Duke nukem and others.

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 22 February 2019 - 12:11 AM, said:

Duke doesn't have a backstory either, and if one is provided, people get mad. :)

I think of Bombshell in AA as an EDF operative who got assigned to work with Duke because they make a good team. I don't imagine that Duke works well with many others. In the beginning of New Invasion, she is working at an EDF base while Duke is on vacation -- she probably splits her time between fieldwork and administrative duties. I see her as somewhat sadistic with a bloodlust, and that comes through in some of her lines "so much blood...so beautiful!". That part of her personality was inspired by the voice actress, who I can tell you enjoys watching MMA fights when they involve a lot of blood.

I like the idea that her code name has some explanation that has nothing to do with her appearance. Maybe she did something crazy involving a bombshell once, I dunno.
I meant backstory as in backstory to her creation not actual lore but , eh. (Ah shoot I double posted again..)

This post has been edited by Marya: 22 February 2019 - 11:18 AM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Congrats on the new release! I only have vague memories of the expansion episodes (only played them once about 20 years ago I think) so it was fun rediscovering them.
Duke it out in DC was a blast with some crazy battles, great job on the new weapons and even more new enemies. The nod to the "The thing" is appreciated! :)

Also nice job on Smithsonean, it looks a lot cooler with actual art and paintings.

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

This super mod demonstrates once again that anything is possible with good coding control. It's so much more enjoyable to make a Duke 3D mod than for Lunar Magic for the SMW game. It's just my opinion.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Does anyone remember there being a Facing Worlds map for Duke 3d? It would be a remake of the old Unreal Tournament map of the same name. I have a strong memory of it existing and even having it open in mapster, but I can't find it. Possibly I'm hallucinating.

User is offline   Jblade 

https://msdn.duke4.net/dm2towers.php

maybe it was this one?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes, that's it! But the download link is broken. EDIT: found it somewhere else; having the actual file name helped

EDIT2: wow, this map is shitty

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 February 2019 - 12:41 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 February 2019 - 12:36 AM, said:

EDIT2: wow, this map is shitty

Haha, it wouldn’t surprise me if many maps we thought were brilliant a decade or two ago are regarded as trash by today’s standards.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Also with DM especially, in the 90's would often make them in one day to play with their mates on a LAN the next day -- they usually weren't big productions.

In this case the construction of the towers is disappointing.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 February 2019 - 01:40 AM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 February 2019 - 01:39 AM, said:

Also with DM especially, in the 90's would often make them in one day to play with their mates on a LAN the next day -- they usually weren't big productions.

In this case the construction of the towers is disappointing.

I always wanted to make a sort of alien babe factory where babes would go into a supposed machine on one end and out the other came the captured babes ,but since i never got into maps for duke 3d i never made it nor do i know if you can put babes on a conveyer and drop them off with the crane without killing them.

User is offline   Forge 

not surprised, but slightly disappointed that this never made the front page of Duke4

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Now let's not be passive aggressive, maybe for the next little update we can put together a little article :)

EDIT: I meant little update as in an update that is in progress and will be done within the week; I wasn't implying that 2.0 was "little"

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 February 2019 - 09:42 PM

User is offline   Marya 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 February 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

Now let's not be passive aggressive, maybe for the next little update we can put together a little article :)

EDIT: I meant little update as in an update that is in progress and will be done within the week; I wasn't implying that 2.0 was "little"
your telling people on a duke nukem forum to not be aggressive? are you crazy? You must be to make an AEWSOME mod like this.(Crazy in a good way)

This post has been edited by Marya: 24 February 2019 - 11:48 PM

User is offline   ---- 

I also think that this belongs to the front page.

If not now on the front page, maybe when we release 3.0?

Just finshed DC, or i may say DC on steroids! (had hard times to remember all the doors and their keycards again).
It looks like the original, just harder without the usual group of monsters, and with a refreshed style fulfilled of modern stuff and easter eggs, but, going into the deepness, there are some nice new rooms and things modded/added/placed in a perfect way, if you ever played DC or not is not a mod to play... it is a MUST to play.
Lol at the zombies when they fight against the aliens is so damn funny :), as for some fat commanders that litterally giving birth to turret drones, crazy initiative to put npcs that are "doing it", careless about what is happening around them, the winged Cycloyd Emperor (Boss2fly) is just... idk, just freaking majestic, that you'll feel to fight against a dragon!
It was time also that someone add some nice upgrades to the weapons, the explosive shotgun shells keep saying "shoot me over and over!"
At the end of DC and after so many easter eggs
Spoiler

I've also noticed some things, idk if all of them are on purpose, so please don't kill me for this, some it is just funny stuff, one part in the video and another one am typing it right here:

-Duke/Shelly AI (imo) stand too close to the player (i know they love each others) that in some situations won't be able to move freely. As when you try to squish monsters using the doors, the AI behind will shot at the player ass.
-The armor looks like be "drained" so fast by few attacks, you won't even notice that it is fallen to 0 already.
-I thought that some monsters were immune to the shrinker, expecially the mecha/cyber ones, instead i was confused when the Cyberbeast (that looks similar to the protector drone) got shrinked, but if this is on purpose np.
-Sharks: i did not test this properly, but when i tried to freeze them, they became invicible and staretd to move randomly (i was using the upgraded freezerthrower on the 64bit version if this matters).

-The second level (Memorial Services) can be done in less than 40 secs doing the trick at the 0:35 min.

Keep up the amazing work Posted Image.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 25 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Battlelord, on 25 February 2019 - 08:48 PM, said:

-Duke/Shelly AI (imo) stand too close to the player (i know they love each others) that in some situations won't be able to move freely. As when you try to squish monsters using the doors, the AI behind will shot at the player ass.

The AI is a compromise. It works well most of the time, and I generally can avoid shooting/getting shot by my partner. Maybe I should just eliminate friendly fire damage entirely, though, instead of reducing it by 50% which is what it is now.

-I thought that some monsters were immune to the shrinker, expecially the mecha/cyber ones, instead i was confused when the Cyberbeast (that looks similar to the protector drone) got shrinked, but if this is on purpose np.

I purposely allow pretty much any monster to be shrunk, including the robot terminators. The limitation seemed arbitrary to me -- does the shrink ray somehow detect "organic" matter? Why? The protector drone is immune because it uses the shrinker itself, similar to how a snake is immune to its own venom. Other than that, the only limit I put on it is hit point based. Any monster cannot be shrunk unless its health falls below a certain number. Otherwise the shrinker is overpowered.

-Sharks: i did not test this properly, but when i tried to freeze them, they became invicible and staretd to move randomly (i was using the upgraded freezerthrower on the 64bit version if this matters).

That sounds bad. I will look into it later tonight.

-The second level (Memorial Services) can be done in less than 40 secs doing the trick at the 0:35 min.

Keep up the amazing work Posted Image.

I will fix the slide-kick exploit, since that's a feature that I added myself so I'm responsible for it.

The terminators have been moved back from that opening in our current version so they will behave better.

The projectile related things in your video have a mix of different causes. Projectiles not going through an opening, or hitting the floor when they shouldn't when pointed downward, are engine bugs and I can't do anything about it. The reason that most projectiles will have a random component added to their trajectories when you are running is, I coded it that way to add a little realism. It's harder to aim when running. EDIT: I want to point out that this feature has been present since version 1.0 and you are the first person to say anything bout it. So if anyone wants to complain that I suddenly shoehorned that feature in...don't.

On the plasma rifle, the reason it sometimes hits that wall and sometimes doesn't is twofold. First, it has a big right-side offset so that the projectile spawn point will match the position of the gun on the screen. Second, there is a random element to the trajectory.

User is offline   Marya 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 25 February 2019 - 07:29 AM, said:

If not now on the front page, maybe when we release 3.0?
it better be.

Yeah Dan you might want to remove FF entierly shelly keeps walking in front of me and vis versa when playing as shelly also, this is my fault but I find myself sometimes shooting the EDF troops by mistake but on purpose since i'm not use to having friendly NPC's on the battlefield.

Can you still make permantly shrunk Assault troopers by freezing a shrunk assault trooper? quiet funny if you ask me...

I noticed while playing through the DC Secret level Top Secret, that in the aztec area Laura shows up as an enemy is that suppose to be like that?

This post has been edited by Marya: 25 February 2019 - 09:29 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

There's another patch coming soon. Most of these bugs have been fixed in my code already, and I'll add more fixes. The Lara enemy bug was caused because she was part of a group of civilians that got added for version 2.0 where I forgot to specify which team they were on. team 0 == bad guys, team 1 == good guys, team 2 == feral (e.g zombies), and team 3 == noncombatants (civilians), and then higher numbers are reserved for other possible factions. So if I forget to specify the number they end up being team 0 which is bad guy, hence they get attacked by the good guy AI.

As for FF, even though it's not a very realistic game, I like to keep some level of realism for combat, so I want to keep FF for the unimportant characters. But the bot companion is special and it actually costs the player health to revive them or get shot by them, so I would make an exception for that.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options