Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 15 September 2018 - 09:46 AM, said:

eduke32_win64_debug_20180906-6978

AA episode
E1L1 - solo (shelly)
E4L1 Duo

menu save / load
quick save/load

quitting out of the map to the main menu
exiting the game completely and restarting

no crashes

Well, heck, maybe I'll start including debug builds with the mod since they seem to work better.

EDIT: For ME, it did crash using the debug build, though. Below is the revelant part of the log generated when trying to load the saved game:

Incompatible file version. Expected 1.7.331.0.19392445, found 1.7.331.0.75f7c8a8
Load tile 2492: p0-m513-e0 tilefromtexture/3drealms.png... 14 ms
Load tile 2492: p0-m516-e0 tilefromtexture/3drealms.png... 14 ms
gltexinvalidateall()
gltexinvalidateall()
Incompatible file version. Expected 1.7.331.0.19392445, found 1.7.331.0.75f7c8a8
Load tile 2456: p0-m513-e0 tilefromtexture/menu3.bmp... 10 ms
Load tile 2456: p0-m516-e0 tilefromtexture/menu3.bmp... 11 ms
sv_loadsnapshot: snapshot size: 11957686 bytes.
ud: 0 ms
sws: 3 ms

Wrote eduke32.cfg
Wrote settings.cfg
polymost_glreset()

It says "incompatible file version", but the save was created and loaded using the same version of everything.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 15 September 2018 - 10:54 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I can't get a crash no matter what I try while using the eduke32.exe
but
If I use the eduke32.debug.exe, then loading a save will cause a crash every time.

Caught exception 0xC0000005 at 0x00007FFEF27441BF: Access violation.

Log:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Forge: 15 September 2018 - 01:28 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

TerminX has said in the other thread that he will be working on fixing the bug soon. So we can stop talking about it in this thread now.

User is offline   Jim 

can you run vanilla user maps with AA?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJim, on 15 September 2018 - 09:58 PM, said:

can you run vanilla user maps with AA?

Of course.

User is offline   Jim 

How are the enemies replaced?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJim, on 15 September 2018 - 10:46 PM, said:

How are the enemies replaced?

I'm not sure how technical you want that answer to be. If you want vanilla maps to have only vanilla enemies, you can turn off the replacement feature. There are settings at the top of AAUSERCON:

// EDITABLE STUFF FOR ALIEN ARMAGEDDON

gamevar STEPSOUNDS YES 0 // player will make footstep sounds
gamevar NEWENEMIES YES 0 // will randomly replace old enemies with new if new not in map
gamevar giveitems YES 1 // give player some holoduke and goggles to start?

define FULLKNEE 150 // time in tics it takes for powerful kick to recharge
define SLIDEKICKSTRENGTH 25
define MAXRANGE 20480 // Max targeting range for Bombshell and some other AI
gamevar PISTOLDOT YES 1 // set to NO if you want Duke's pistol to have normal crosshair

To answer the question: First, the game scrambles the randomseed based on your computer's timedate value and randomizes some counter values. Then, in EVENT_SPAWN, the randomized counters increment for various enemy types. When counters reach certain numbers, specific types of enemy are replaced by certain new types of enemies. The combination of randomization and counters guarantees that you won't encounter the random replacements in the same places each time, but that they will always appear in the exact same proportions.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 September 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

I'm not sure how technical you want that answer to be. If you want vanilla maps to have only vanilla enemies, you can turn off the replacement feature. There are settings at the top of AAUSERCON:

To answer the question: First, the game scrambles the randomseed based on your computer's timedate value and randomizes some counter values. Then, in EVENT_SPAWN, the randomized counters increment for various enemy types. When counters reach certain numbers, specific types of enemy are replaced by certain new types of enemies. The combination of randomization and counters guarantees that you won't encounter the random replacements in the same places each time, but that they will always appear in the exact same proportions.

Getting a super pigcop at the start of E1L3 kinda sucks, I can disclose. :rolleyes:

User is online   Phredreeke 

IMO ideally you'd have maphacks for setting new enemies in the old maps but that's a bit too much to ask for what is pretty much a bonus feature next to the new episode.

User is offline   aherin 

Hi there,
It's been a long, long time since I posted here. Just wanted to say how fantastic this mod is. Everything you guys have added just feels so at home. Can't wait to get into the new episode :rolleyes:

One question though, what is the purpose of the coins that drop? An upcoming feature, or did I miss something?

They add a slight amount of armor.

User is offline   Forge 

or health if you're below a certain point

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've been working on a CTF game as part of AA. Eventually it may support actual multiplayer, but for now I'm designing it as a player versus bots mode. Specifically, the human player is on the EDF team along with various EDF units, and you are up against a team of CPU aliens. Development has gone pretty well so far, but slower than I expected. Before I could add the CTF game type, I had to overhaul the code of every single enemy in the game to make it all team-based instead of player-centric (their ability to clumsily attack Bombshell prior to this was all just a shitty hack with limited functionality). My next job was code some EDF units (with awesome sprites by sebabdukeboss20). Lately, I've been making and testing a pathing system to support capture the flag. Finally, the actual gameplay logic of the new gametype is being worked on, too. I'll have something to show soon.

User is offline   eGraphics 

This mod is amazing. I really like the work you've done. Please keep it up.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

An early demonstration of CTF in the Alien Armageddon mod for Duke 3D. At this point you can play on the side of earth against the aliens. The aliens don't have an equivalent to the human player yet, so it's not very balanced. Later there will be an elite alien trooper who can act as their "player". The game will remain offline only unless EDuke32 gets a netcode overhaul.

Scoring: killing an opposing team member nets your team 1-5 points, depending on unit type. A flag capture earns 100 points.

I'm open to suggestions about additional gameplay mechanics. For example, maybe each team should have a special boss unit that they can summon under certain conditions.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 October 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

An early demonstration of CTF in the Alien Armageddon mod for Duke 3D. At this point you can play on the side of earth against the aliens. The aliens don't have an equivalent to the human player yet, so it's not very balanced. Later there will be an elite alien trooper who can act as their "player". The game will remain offline only unless EDuke32 gets a netcode overhaul.

Scoring: killing an opposing team member nets your team 1-5 points, depending on unit type. A flag capture earns 100 points.

I'm open to suggestions about additional gameplay mechanics. For example, maybe each team should have a special boss unit that they can summon under certain conditions.

i am liking that idea for a CTF in the mod. makes things quite interesting. even if it's against bots i don't mind

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 October 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

customize the number of "teams" or "squads"

example: 4 on 4 ctf (four flags)

-or-
1 vs. 1 (two flags), but the number of squads or soldiers can be adjusted on each team

ramp up your challenge by having your team only have one squad of soldiers while the opposing team has seven squads of soldiers (or two squads vs. six squads, three vs. five, etc.)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 02 October 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

-or-
1 vs. 1 (two flags), but the number of squads or soldiers can be adjusted on each team

ramp up your challenge by having your team only have one squad of soldiers while the opposing team has seven squads of soldiers (or two squads vs. six squads, three vs. five, etc.)

Something along those lines. There will be a campaign where you play through a series of challenges with different setups. If you win, you move to the next challenge, if you lose you don't.

Humans being humans, they will try to run straight to the enemy flag and run it back without so much as pausing to shoot an enemy. So I'm thinking, what if there is a gameplay mechanic where the flags start in locked cages, and you have to open the cages first by scoring a certain number of kills on the other team? Or, following on your idea of unbalaced teams, maybe this rule only applies to the EDF team, so it's blatently unfair. If we assume that Duke and the soldiers have been captured by the aliens and are forced to play the game, I don't imagine they would make it fair.

User is offline   Shelia 

Hey i noticed you put a turret on a sentry drone , is it possible to put a security camera on a sentry drone for a special view during CTF or something? just a thought

This post has been edited by Yoko: 01 November 2018 - 06:10 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostYoko, on 01 November 2018 - 06:09 PM, said:

Hey i noticed you put a turret on a sentry drone , is it possible to put a security camera on a sentry drone for a special view during CTF or something? just a thought

I don't know how useful that would actually be, but I don't see why not.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Animation test on schoolgirl NPC:

Gives me redneck rampage rides again vibes!

User is offline   John Brown 

Awesome, I like the idea of the NPCs defending themselves (even if they'll probably just run into the player's line of fire anyway). Somehow the Tyrian music just makes it all better, I can't put my finger on why.

User is offline   Shelia 

i'd like to see more of the shadow warrior girls like the one on the toilet... though were to put the shower girl?

"Duke's drive shaft needs service"

This post has been edited by Yoko: 03 November 2018 - 08:29 AM

Some WIP for 2.0

Duke It Out in DC will be repurposed and updated

Posted Image

Remember the infamous Smithsonian? It's getting a big overhaul in its exhibits
Posted Image

Selection screen for classic episodes
Posted Image

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 16 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

damn those selection screens kick ass

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

User is offline   Forge 

Neato.
How does it look when you're under water?
or standing on a ledge looking down at it?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 19 November 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

Neato.
How does it look when you're under water?
or standing on a ledge looking down at it?

The effect should see some improvements before it's finalized. The SW nuke animation is OK but not great. Also, the dust and debris flying out from the explosion is not very prominent. The trick is to make it look good without a huge number of sprites spawned. Maybe I'll try bigger chunks of debris that travel a longer distance.

It looks fine from underneath or from above. I don't know if it's worth the effort to make an underwater version of the effect, because it would need to look very different.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Loving that new handgun, too.

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options