Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Merlijn 

I prefer the bubble system over the scuba gear, it's a more dynamic experience. They restore your health as well, as Forge mentioned..

BTW simply getting out of the water has the same effect, any health lost due to drowning will be restored as soon as you reach the surface.
Which is why there's no scuba in Hard Rain.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 27 August 2018 - 09:40 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

MIke also said there was an invisible SUV. I don't see how that's possible, since the cstat and size are set on initialization and then never touched again. However, I'll go ahead and add a redundant setting of those values for now, just in case.

I've been able to play this on two different computers (other than my own, but let's not go there), and I have to say.....it ROCKS. The pop culture parodies are spot-on, the music (while a bit loud) is brilliant, the level design is superb...it's been well worth the wait.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMerlijn, on 27 August 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

I prefer the bubble system over the scuba gear, it's a more dynamic experience. They restore your health as well, as Forge mentioned..

BTW simply getting out of the water has the same effect, any health lost due to drowning will be restored as soon as you reach the surface.
Which is why there's no scuba in Hard Rain.

And since Mike cruelly compared the bubble system to Sonic, I will point out that getting health lost to drowning restored on the surface was inspired by Mario 64. :(

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 August 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

And since Mike cruelly compared the bubble system to Sonic, I will point out that getting health lost to drowning restored on the surface was inspired by Mario 64. :(

I thought that looked familiar....

-Talking about underwater stuff: i know that the AI act in a different way in this mod, but i'm used to kill octobrains with 2 shotgun hits and 1 kick, for some reason did not worked there (weird because the shotgun to me looks stonger than usual).

-Like in Mario games, if there are invincible enemies you can simply run away, is quite easy to swim away from scuba tropers if you are too lazy to turn auto aim off :(.

-The next thing is probably useless as is quite easy to notice and not under water related: the mini-battlelords can't be shrinked, or at least does not work for me.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 27 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Battlelord, on 27 August 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

-The next thing is probably useless as is quite easy to notice and not under water related: the mini-battlelords can't be shrinked, or at least does not work for me.

In AA I put a health check on shrinking. Unless the enemy is below 500 health it won't work on them (it will do 30 damage instead). I think that's fair because otherwise the shrinker makes minibosses too easy.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 August 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

And since Mike cruelly compared the bubble system to Sonic, I will point out that getting health lost to drowning restored on the surface was inspired by Mario 64. :unsure:

I assumed it was inspired by Source engine games like TF2, since it works the same there.
I would have compared it to Mario 64 though if you regained all lost health by simply swimming on the surface :(

User is online   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 27 August 2018 - 08:28 AM, said:

5 years from now, someone will ask you what you remember about the first AA episode, and you're going to bring up that effing underwater map.

some people just don't like underwater maps, regardless of the amount of scuba-tanks. It is what it is, that's just the nature of things.

Well, you win! Maybe I just had a bad weekend and need someone to blame.

Please treat my next underwater maps like I treat Hard Rain and Sunk city if I ever release one in the future, be as nitpicking as possible. You can quote me on that.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 August 2018 - 09:48 AM, said:

MIke also said there was an invisible SUV. I don't see how that's possible, since the cstat and size are set on initialization and then never touched again. However, I'll go ahead and add a redundant setting of those values for now, just in case.

Yeah, it was pretty weird, I can provide some snapshots and log files if that's necessary.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 27 August 2018 - 01:30 PM, said:

I assumed it was inspired by Source engine games like TF2, since it works the same there.
I would have compared it to Mario 64 though if you regained all lost health by simply swimming on the surface :(

Is not like I don't like Mario64 underwater level, or Sonic's bubbles, but is just that the system doesn't fit in Duke to my tastes. Last thing I'm gonna say about it, I don't want to ruin this thread.

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 27 August 2018 - 02:53 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMike Norvak, on 27 August 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Yeah, it was pretty weird, I can provide some snapshots and log files if that's necessary.

Don't worry about providing files. I do have a question, though: were you able to damage or destroy the invisible SUV, and if so what happened afterwards?

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 27 August 2018 - 02:32 PM, said:

Don't worry about providing files. I do have a question, though: were you able to damage or destroy the invisible SUV, and if so what happened afterwards?

Yeah, I noticed there was a SUV because the smoke effect and sound, but the sprite it self was invisible. I had to shot blasts of RPG nearby to make it explode, a car plate flyed in front of me, then some pigs got out.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMike Norvak, on 27 August 2018 - 02:22 PM, said:

Please treat my next underwater maps like I treat them if I ever release one in the future, be as nitpicking as possible. You can quote me on that.

there's a different map of yours I'd rather discuss.

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 27 August 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

there's a different map of yours I'd rather discuss.

Sunstroke! You know it starts to look like HL3 in my head. Rather not be finished.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Would it be too unfitting for the mod to give Duke his Caribbean sprites for an optional outfit in the future? I'm on the fence about the idea, but it crossed my mind. Speaking of Duke Caribbean, I think Bombshell would look fitting in a tropical setting possibly in the future.

this mod is pretty cool. i'd say to me, it's up at the top of my faves list of Duke 3D mods, along with Dukeplus & Nuclear Showdown

User is online   Jblade 

View PostMetHy, on 25 August 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

Any idea about the circumstance when that happens? Has it only been happening since some relatively recent revisions (few months old) ?

It's a long, long standing issue that's been around for ages. I don't play in polymost so I've never really put much effort into tracking down a cause.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Looks like you guys are already getting attention from some gaming sites!

https://www.dsogamin...th-new-enemies/

https://www.ausgamer...several-updates

I think you guys should put a trailer together.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 August 2018 - 09:26 PM, said:

Still investigating this one.

I found the cause.
When bombshell spawns with her parachute, as soon as she lands the maximum enemy count begins counting down for some reason, leading to an unsigned 16-bit integer overflow.
That's why you see enemy counts in the tens of thousands in those screenshots.

Also, I have another bug to report. The super octabrains shrink twice when hit with the shrinker, once when you hit them, where they will walk back and forth as in vanilla duke, and a second time right after they grow back.
The second time they retain the intended behavior when shrunk (i.e. they still attempt to attack, but with weak, shrunk projectiles)

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 28 August 2018 - 10:28 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDoom64hunter, on 28 August 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

I found the cause.
When bombshell spawns with her parachute, as soon as she lands the maximum enemy count begins counting down for some reason, leading to an unsigned 16-bit integer overflow.
That's why you see enemy counts in the tens of thousands in those screenshots.

Thanks, I actually found that and fixed it yesterday. It was an underflow -- Bombshell is defined as an enemy because enemies have better clipping and movement. To compensate she subtracts one from the enemy count when spawning. But due to my mistake she would keep subtracting until you walk up to her.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 28 August 2018 - 10:25 AM, said:

Also, I have another bug to report. The super octabrains shrink twice when hit with the shrinker, once when you hit them, where they will walk back and forth as in vanilla duke, and a second time right after they grow back.
The second time they retain the intended behavior when shrunk (i.e. they still attempt to attack, but with weak, shrunk projectiles)

Thanks, I'll look into this and fix it. Here's my list so far of things that are fixed for version 1.02:

1.02 Released ?
-switching to and from laser pistol now works like all other weapons (instead of dropping it)
-prevent Bombshell AI companion from saying various lines while under water
-prevent tougher enemies from being one-shotted when they are asleep
-fixed bug which could prevent weapon switching to and from railgun if switching key was spammed
-fixed bug which caused the game to report that the first level has over 65000 enemies to kill

I'm from the Netherlands and I was surprised to see your mod on my favorite tweakers website:
https://tweakers.net...mpagne-toe.html

Congratulations, you've reached the frontpage on Dutch news!

PS, I still have to finish the mod and I will provide feedback when I've done that. So far I'm really enjoying it.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Wow that's so cool, thanks for the share! (I'm from the Netherlands too, as I'm sure most people here know by now ).

• Duke Plus Developer

That's great, although I wish the article had linked to a video from the finished version :(
That's what we get for having still not made a trailer, I guess.

User is offline   supergoofy 

There are recent gameplay videos of the final version in youtube. Maybe you can add them at moddb.

by Mr. Rumble Roses (playlist)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3QEZeTZzqGvPg0V4wffJZU2Mr8MnVu7h

by David Nestel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0GJ_MYRTPw

by GeneralLotz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m40gVkTdQuA

by pagb666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWbCM_5ZaUo

by Crazy Glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTDEFQyLzPU

by Forsete
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bSNfd2lbUM

by PingoForce
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCmgQNMDG8k

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 29 August 2018 - 12:53 PM

User is offline   max_nukem 

sebabdukeboss20 , can you please give us the cutscene images in the higher resolution?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

It's brilliant, but very small.

They're made to be consistent with the other ending cutscenes in Vanilla Duke. Also it's a lot work redoing all those words.

I noticed that it is possible to "cache" unlimited amounts of health by either drowning with overheal or by picking up healing items after having taken drowning damage.
Once you take damage it is then immediately healed until your health cache runs out. I also noticed that picking up an air bubble removes the excess health.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 29 August 2018 - 02:39 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDoom64hunter, on 29 August 2018 - 02:39 PM, said:

I noticed that it is possible to "cache" unlimited amounts of health by either drowning with overheal or by picking up healing items after having taken drowning damage.
Once you take damage it is then immediately healed until your health cache runs out. I also noticed that picking up an air bubble removes the excess health.

Thanks for the bug report. Just in time to have the fixes included in the 1.02 patch this weekend.

Most people hate drowning though so aren't likely to exploit this. :(

Alright, finished the mod. Here's some more bug reports in no particular order:

• Bubbles can revive you after you died from drowning.
  • Something is wrong with the screw-attack protector drones. In rare instances they cycle through strange sprites, one being a dead EDF marine I think.
  • The women tied to these green alien pillars that have decomposed (more green than the others) leave behind indestructible pillars.
  • The specimen in the final hallway right before the final boss sink into the ground after a while. making them impossible to see.
  • In the final map, the door leading to the area full of cocooned women opens too slowly, allowing you to simply walk in, instead of switching characters as intended.
  • Despite having installed the patch, the buzz saw was still taken away from me when returning from the secret level. Strangely enough, upon dying, the mighty foot was replaced with the sprite of the buzzsaw, but retaining the behavior of the foot.
  • The grenade launcher is still called devastator as the pickup. Intentional? Likewise, the devastator ammo sprite still shows up as rockets when playing as bombshell.
  • The grenade launcher seems awfully powerful, being able to one-hit assault commanders and the pig boss enemies.
  • In one instance I was able to get over 150 devastator ammo as duke. Haven't been able to reproduce it though.
  • The enemies spawn slightly too early in the final battle. Make them spawn a few seconds later so the speech can properly finish.
  • The final boss tends to hit himself with the turrets he lays down.
  • The first time I beat the final boss I was walking forward and skipped all the ending cutscenes accidentally.
  • Enemies and NPCs behave inconsistently when hit with the shrinker. Some retain the old Duke3D behavior of walking back and forth and becoming invulnerable for the duration of being shrunk, while others retain their normal behavior. There seems to be no clear pattern on how they act, best to just load a test map and experiment with the shrinker on each actor.
  • The mini-overlord stays frozen indefinitely. I think this may be a vanilla bug.

There's probably more but I've been sloppy at noting things down, eh.

Did you credit the people who worked on this anywhere? If that hasn't been done yet, it really should. People should get recognized for the great job done here, it's absolute lightyears ahead of Alien World Order in terms of content.
I also would like to know who did the voices for which characters. Whoever did the proton voice did a great job. Bombshell's is a bit more on the amateurish side, but it's fine. And Clint from LGR does a fine Duke Nukem.

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 29 August 2018 - 04:17 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

I will refer to things as "fixed" when I mean they are fixed in the current code which will be included in version 1.02

View PostDoom64hunter, on 29 August 2018 - 04:12 PM, said:

Bubbles can revive you after you died from drowning.

Fixed. Also, health buffering when drowning is fixed. (The fix was uncommenting a single line of code which never should have been commented).

Something is wrong with the screw-attack protector drones. In rare instances they cycle through strange sprites, one being a dead EDF marine I think.

Most likely this is fixed now. I think I found and closed the loophole, but with a rare bug it's hard to verify.

The women tied to these green alien pillars that have decomposed (more green than the others) leave behind indestructible pillars.

Is that different from other pillars left behind by other actors? I think I was just using the default pillar actor to leave behind, which happens to be indestructible. But maybe I'm missing something.

The specimen in the final hallway right before the final boss sink into the ground after a while. making them impossible to see.

You must have been afk for a while to notice that, it takes quite a while for the rounding errors on the sine function to accumulate to that point :( In any case, I am reducing the amount of error so it will take much longer now.

In the final map, the door leading to the area full of cocooned women opens too slowly, allowing you to simply walk in, instead of switching characters as intended.
The enemies spawn slightly too early in the final battle. Make them spawn a few seconds later so the speech can properly finish.

The next update will include some map revisions. Those two issues will probably be addressed, but I can't guarantee it.

Despite having installed the patch, the buzz saw was still taken away from me when returning from the secret level. Strangely enough, upon dying, the mighty foot was replaced with the sprite of the buzzsaw, but retaining the behavior of the foot.

I believe this is now "fixed". The player is now force fed a max ammo chainsaw upon returning. If anyone is interested, the underlying issue still baffles me:

Spoiler

The grenade launcher is still called devastator as the pickup. Intentional? Likewise, the devastator ammo sprite still shows up as rockets when playing as bombshell.

Let's call those both intentional laziness.

The grenade launcher seems awfully powerful, being able to one-hit assault commanders and the pig boss enemies.

Yeah, it's being nerfed in the update. It's still going to be very powerful, though. It's harder to aim than the regular devastator.

In one instance I was able to get over 150 devastator ammo as duke. Haven't been able to reproduce it though.

Ammo quantities between characters have to be translated -- e.g. Bombshell's pistol is twice as powerful (with lower rof), but she can only hold half the ammo. When you switch characters the amounts have to be adjusted. Evidently I missed a loophole somewhere. I have just added some checks for this kind of situation so hopefully that will be fixed now.

• Duke Plus Developer

I split my reply up into 2 posts because I went over the limit of the number of quotes that are allowed.

[The final boss tends to hit himself with the turrets he lays down.

Yeah, screw that guy. He's not as smart as he thinks he is.

The first time I beat the final boss I was walking forward and skipped all the ending cutscenes accidentally.

I'm not sure how you did that but I just added an extra button press to advance the first screen so hopefully that's not an issue in the future.

Enemies and NPCs behave inconsistently when hit with the shrinker. Some retain the old Duke3D behavior of walking back and forth and becoming invulnerable for the duration of being shrunk, while others retain their normal behavior. There seems to be no clear pattern on how they act, best to just load a test map and experiment with the shrinker on each actor.

Why must you reveal my secret shame? Yeah, the new shrinking system has not been applied to all of the new monsters yet. There are some technical difficulties in getting it to work smoothly, it requires a fair amount of tinkering with sound pitches and whatnot. This will not be addressed in the next patch.

The mini-overlord stays frozen indefinitely. I think this may be a vanilla bug.

Yup, just fixed that for the patch.

Did you credit the people who worked on this anywhere?

There's a credit screen in the main menu which credits the big contributors. What we haven't done yet, to our shame, is also have a separate credit file that lists every single person and what they did. EDIT: to clarify, the people not listed on the credits did not actually work on the project as such, but they did make stuff that we used (mostly in the community stockpile)

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options