Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   stumppy84 

Awesome!! It’s always exciting to finally release something to the world!
I think trying to get a reviewer is a great idea, it might also just happen organically as I’m sure they are hungry for any content that’s old-school. Cheers!!

Come get some!

https://www.moddb.co...n-armageddon-10

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes, the download is now available at Mod DB. In the future we'll do some promotion (like actually make a trailer and stuff) but we've been so busy actually finishing it to make our deadline that we didn't do anything like that yet. I updated the first post in this thead with the link, and it's also in sebabdukeboss's post above.

This thread can serve as the release thread as far as I'm concerned, unless the other devs want a separate release thread. I like having all the post history in one thread together.

User is online   Phredreeke 

Question: When playing the old levels, is the game balanced for playing with one character, or both?

Edit: the maphacks for rotating voxel objects don't seem to apply

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 24 August 2018 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 August 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

Question: When playing the old levels, is the game balanced for playing with one character, or both?

Edit: the maphacks for rotating voxel objects don't seem to apply

I don't know anything about rotating voxel objects around so you can look at stripper ass, but I'll answer your first question - yes.

Playing old maps in duo-mode doesn't throw the balance off by much.
That also depends on the map you're talking about. Certain situations tend to kill the partner-bot a lot and it will cost quite a bit of health to keep it alive.

As for the original episodes, I ran through all four of them a couple times and didn't encounter any major balance issues. (CGS)
The bot AI isn't the most aggressive or intelligent bot there is - the creator wanted to keep the resource size and amount of bugs to a minimum, or something like that - so it usually only engages enemies and gets damaged in more open-ish situations. Otherwise it tends to hang back a bit intentionally - if it doesn't, either you end up shooting it because it gets in the way, or it ends up shooting you in the back of the head.

I also believe it uses some kind of shared-resources method. It doesn't use the resources the player has directly, but if the player picks up a box of shotgun shells, the bots gets shotgun rounds as well & can run out of their own supply. Swapping back and forth doesn't create more ammo or health - you take your current ammo & health with you to the bot, the bot's resources get transferred to the "new" bot. But in essence, there is a small ammunition glut that can be partially exploited. If you think the bot can do all your fighting for you. Good luck with that.

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Originally I had planned to give enemies more HP when playing with the bot, but as time went on I dropped the idea (for now). As Forge says, the bot companion isn't super helpful. There are times when it kills a few enemies for you and saves you some ammo, and other times when it gets itself killed and then you have to revive it and use some of your medkit/health to do so. There's also the potential for friendly fire. So, it balances out.

User is offline   eihort 

Hello guys!

I've just finished the first level and I must tell you: this mod looks pretty awesome.
Thank you and congratulations!

I found the stripcop

My life is ruined

User is offline   BoowHow 

Congrats on the Release!
I have to say it's quite impressive having alot of varieties of completely new enemies to fight against.
Definitely a good way to add replayability to a lot of usermaps too.
One thing which is kind of irritating for me is the laser on Duke's pistol. It's sometimes hard to see if I'm actually aiming at an enemy or at a wall.
So far I really like the mod and incase anyone is interested I've also recorded a small gameplay of me going through the first two level of L.A. Meltdown:
https://www.youtube....h?v=qCmgQNMDG8k

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDoom64hunter, on 24 August 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

I found the stripcop

My life is ruined

The viewscreen, or the secret room?
the secret room is much better, since you can get all close and rub up against it. :(

I really like
Spoiler

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 August 2018 - 04:47 PM, said:

I really like
Spoiler

Thanks! I'm glad you made the connection! I made lots of easter eggs that would fit in the Duke 3d style of humor.

BTW, got a list of who designed what maps?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 August 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

Bombshells, the first map.
Started by William Gee. He left and then most of it was done by the Oostrum Bros, Merlijn and Maarten

Hard Rain, the second map
Merlijn and Maarten

Sunk City, the third map
Jblade

Area 59, the fourth map
Jblade

Hidden Base, the fifth map
Jblade

Yup, Jblade did a ton of work on this, although the first two maps are much bigger than the other maps.

there's also a secret map

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 August 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

Merlijn, Maarten, I don't know who else - Bombshells
Merlijn - Hard Rain, secret map
James S. - Sunk City, Area 59, Final Base

Cage did some of the assets, like the chainsaw. A couple other assets were collected from the community as well - credit due if you recognize your work.

----or I can double post while Dan is posting. Yay, me.----

This post has been edited by Forge: 24 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

User is offline   jeremy7986 

Really amazing mod!
Love the new enemy, new weapon and babes have been more vivid and more sexy!
It seems like some new weapon haven't finished yet, like the chain shotgun. Anyway hope can get more update from this mod in the future, This is definitely the masterpiece!

Spoiler

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postjeremy7986, on 24 August 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

It seems like some new weapon haven't finished yet, like the chain shotgun.

I don't know what you mean. :(

User is offline   Gambini 

I haven´t playes the final version (only gave a quick look to some beta). But i have to say I´m impressed with what i have played so far, and seen in the videos here. Continuing with the Duke Star Wars mod, you have polished the control of your skills, producing much more player-friendly quality content. Mastering the expertise also comes with more humble approaches to an idea, and i think it´s what you have done here. Hopelly what i wrote makes some sense, in my head i understand what i say :(

As for Sebadduke´s Art, it´s not only very good quality but it´s also awesome because it touches some special Dukers´ strings. He has done to Duke what many of us sure as hell have dreamed with: 8 angles babes, cool variations of the good old bad guys, bombshell!, and with an extensive quantity and a quality that remains even all throughout the tileset.

I can´t hep but imagine some of this quality-stuff bolted in on the project I´m being part of. It´s not the purpose of this post, but still!

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

The first time I used the kick attack while playing as Bombshell...

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 August 2018 - 07:39 PM, said:

I don't know what you mean. :(

The pig boss' weapon. I got it but I didn't know where's change.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by jeremy7986: 24 August 2018 - 08:21 PM

View Postjeremy7986, on 24 August 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

The pig boss' weapon. I got it but I didn't know where's change.

The bad pigcop's drop is a collection of weapons and not a specific weapon. When you grab it, you get a bunch of random ammo for different guns.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 24 August 2018 - 08:23 PM, said:

The bad pigcop's drop is a collection of weapons and not a specific weapon. When you grab it, you get a bunch of random ammo for different guns.

Got it, thanks! And I like your artwork! :(

User is offline   Jim 

Alien Armageddon = Arcane dimensions of Duke?

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

Duke3D mod of the year! I just finished it. Well, all except the original episodes.

Great work!

View PostForge, on 24 August 2018 - 02:52 PM, said:

The viewscreen, or the secret room?
the secret room is much better, since you can get all close and rub up against it. :(

I think the viewscreen traumatized me more. I didn't even see the message above it so I was caught even more off guard.

Welp. Didn't expect anything less from some of the best modders in the community.

User is offline   MetHy 

Just played through the Alien Armageddon episode.
Overall had lot's of fun, played as Bombshell as much as I could.

Great presentation with new menu, new intro/ending, new stat select screen. And not just cutscenes made with in game footage like I did in Duke Hard, some real work went into it.

Good work with the new enemies as well, although their art style make them stand out from classic enemies, I especially liked the end boss.
I also liked the snipping Firefly, if only there weren't always placed in such "fuck you" manners.

Maps were good, I especially liked Hard Rain, Sunk City and Area59.
However the first map was very confusing, I spent a lot of time just running in round and I'm usually pretty good at remembering where to go/backtrack.
I felt it lacked landmarks, while paths to progress were often hidden, also the viewscreens and decorative doors hardly helped either.

Also after killing the Pigcop boss, I was stuck, with no way to get back to the other side. It felt like this big red door was supposed to open once the boss is dead except it didn't so I noclipped through it. At the same moment the boss got killed the "max enemy" counter got glitched to 64400+

https://i.imgur.com/oq3PXUG.png

In the secret map in the mayor office I also couldn't remember where the 4th switch was so I noclipped through the door as well.

Other small nitpicks:
- starting the 2nd map as Bombshell it felt like the game thought I was Duke. The NPCs treated me as such and there was no reflection in the mirror.
- tons of fire/explosions effects for some of the weapons make it really hard to keep track of what's going on
- The aiming of Bombshell's grenade launcher (Devastator slot) seems really low
- Duke ALWAYS seemed to get in the way and get himself killed. Does he really need to be right in the enemy's face to shoot at them?
-
Spoiler

edit: also I found the crosshair and actual aiming wiggling around when moving really annoying

This post has been edited by MetHy: 25 August 2018 - 04:59 AM

User is offline   max_nukem 

Just finished the mod.
Great work guys!
I impresset with the amazing spritework of sebabdukeboss20, thanks man!
And thanks for the cool maps for all mappers!
Like to play with the Bombshell as a companion! Great idea!
Posted Image
Thanks for all!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMetHy, on 25 August 2018 - 04:35 AM, said:

Good work with the new enemies as well, although their art style make them stand out from classic enemies, I especially liked the end boss.
I also liked the snipping Firefly, if only there weren't always placed in such "fuck you" manners.

We had so much to do in such a short time (i.e. available free time) that I never brought this up with sebabdukeboss20, but in the long run I would like to see the original enemies replaced with new art so that they can all be in the same style. This would also make it possible to add new animations to the old enemies. One issue is that the new sprites tend to be be somewhat higher resolution, so the scales don't quite match. They look great, of course.

Maps were good, I especially liked Hard Rain, Sunk City and Area59.
However the first map was very confusing, I spent a lot of time just running in round and I'm usually pretty good at remembering where to go/backtrack.
I felt it lacked landmarks, while paths to progress were often hidden, also the viewscreens and decorative doors hardly helped either.

Merlijn probably has more to say about this, but I have to agree that it's easy to get lost in that map (even though I think it's a great map!)
The level designers can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe that the open somewhat confusing layout is due to it starting as a deathmatch map by WG. It was then added to and retrofitted to make it singleplayer. Of course, most of the construction happened after WG left, but the deathmatch layout is kind of in the DNA of the map.

Also after killing the Pigcop boss, I was stuck, with no way to get back to the other side. It felt like this big red door was supposed to open once the boss is dead except it didn't so I noclipped through it. At the same moment the boss got killed the "max enemy" counter got glitched to 64400+

Interesting. I'll look into this. We do have a feature whereby killing an enemy can trigger a door -- if that glitched here that could explain it, but I don't recall whether that particular enemy is a trigger. I don't know why the kill count would glitch like that, but obviously that's a scripting bug.

Other small nitpicks:
- starting the 2nd map as Bombshell it felt like the game thought I was Duke. The NPCs treated me as such and there was no reflection in the mirror.

Reflections work fine when you are Bombshell -- check the mirror in E1L1 for example. I'm not sure what's happening with that particular mirror in Hard Rain, though. I'm guessing that it wouldn't reflect Duke, either. The NPCs will yell "Duke!" but not Bombshell. Just one of those things we would correct with new voice acting with more time.

- The aiming of Bombshell's grenade launcher (Devastator slot) seems really low
- Duke ALWAYS seemed to get in the way and get himself killed. Does he really need to be right in the enemy's face to shoot at them?

The grenades are affected by gravity. I could make them spawn with a somewhat upward trajectory to compensate, but then I worry that they will go too high at close range. It might be fine if it's a subtle change though.
The bots are not the brightest. What I'd like to do is add some kind of check so that they won't go forward if it puts them between the player and a target. Totally doable, but it wasn't a priority for the initial release compared with having all the basic features in place and the maps working.

edit: also I found the crosshair and actual aiming wiggling around when moving really annoying

It doesn't bother me and I think it helps convey a sense of movement. However, I don't blame you for being annoyed and I expect it annoys other people too.

The floor at the end of the secret level glitched for me running Polymost (with classic renderer it's ok)

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options