Duke4.net Forums: Alien Armageddon [RELEASE] - Duke4.net Forums

• 58 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Alien Armageddon [RELEASE]  "showcasing sebabdukeboss20 characters with some enhancements"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

Awesome stuff - I'm gonna take a stab at a map for this as well but I'll wait till I'm sure I can finish it before asking for the mod and stuff. I have 2 questions; is the intended renderer classic or polymost, and what tiles art are you using? I'm guessing you've probably gone with Tiles020+ (I can use the per-map art tile feature so it won't conflict with any other custom art maps)

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJblade, on 08 April 2018 - 11:05 PM, said:

Awesome stuff - I'm gonna take a stab at a map for this as well but I'll wait till I'm sure I can finish it before asking for the mod and stuff. I have 2 questions; is the intended renderer classic or polymost, and what tiles art are you using? I'm guessing you've probably gone with Tiles020+ (I can use the per-map art tile feature so it won't conflict with any other custom art maps)

Yeah, new art starts at tiles020, and we are up to tiles026 now. None of that is textures, by the way -- if mappers want to add 8-bit Duke palette textures, that's fine, but so far we haven't added any. In my mind there is no intended renderer, but everything is classic compatible. The standard community voxels are used but no models or 32-bit graphics. We are also using the extended Lezing palette. The only thing that leans towards polymost is the skyboxes by Fox, but I see those more as fixing a polymost deficit than adding a feature.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Depending on which way you ultimately decide to take it. One way you could have Bombshell literally teleport out before she reaches "death." Literally going "See ya" and teleporting with the teleportation effect. If she's an item in the player's inventory (A radio, say.) it could have to recharge to 100% before you can use it again, and it could be something you lose on level changes.

And the reason I suggest teleporter is because helicopter might not be fitting for say, space maps. Teleporter would be a little more versatile.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 09 April 2018 - 05:59 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Hate to double post, but this just occured to me actually, as an adendum to my last post.

One thing that might be really cool to do with the whole teleporter idea is if you place the Bombshell character into a map, you could have it that when the player enters either a certain radius or "line of sight" of the actor sprite, she teleports in all action-hero like. This could be a further random aspect to her appearance in vanilla maps.

User is offline   Jblade 

I'm also working on a level for this :P

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Area59.jpg

View PostJblade, on 11 April 2018 - 06:17 AM, said:

I'm also working on a level for this :P

Beautiful---and not just because Bombshell is in it. :lol:

With everything I hear and see about this, my anticipation continues to rise. July can't get here soon enough!

User is offline   Mark 

Jblade: Wow thats bright. Good thing Bombshell and Duke are wearing sunglasses.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 11 April 2018 - 07:17 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

JBlade: I see the DN64 gun! :P

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark., on 11 April 2018 - 07:17 AM, said:

Jblade: Wow thats bright. Good thing Bombshell and Duke are wearing sunglasses.

The super-bright and colored lights are made possible by Lezing's extended palette lookups. The washed-out white is pal 94, for example.

• Duke Plus Developer

Discussion topic #1

What are some features that you would like to see added to Duke 3D for this mod? Let's keep in mind that it will remain classic renderer compatible (no models or 32-bit) and the core gameplay will remain intact. A lot has already been done, but I'm interested to hear some different ideas. The best suggestions are specific. Example: the nightvision goggles should, in addition to highlighting enemies and live actors, also increase overall visibility by 25%.

Discussion topic #2]

When Bombshell is added as a playable character, what should her loadout be? She will have an SMG, and she will be able to kick. Other than that, nothing has been determined yet. Should she have a weapon set that is equivalent to Duke's, should she have completely different weapons, or something in between?

User is offline   Jblade 

I think Bombshell should be a glass cannon; all her guns hit hard and fast but she has half the health of Duke (and Atomic Healths only give her 25+ health - normal stuff should heal the same though) Definitely something to differentiate her from Duke other than just being a rule 63 version.

Would Blood-style alternate fire modes be out of scope for this mod? Some ideas

Pistol: Manual reload, boring but it makes sense.
Shotgun: Switch between regular and N64-style explosive shells - or use up multiple shells for the latter to avoid adding a new ammo type.
Chaingun Cannon: Fire a slower but more focused burst
RPG: Lots of things coyld be done to this. Homing missiles, bouncing rounds, gas grenades.
Pipe Bomb: Use alt fire to bring out a new pipe bomb (already implemented in the eduke32 included with the Total Meltdown TC) or put the detonator on alt fire while your standard fire keeps throwing.
Shrinker: Okay, this is silly, but have alt-fire shrink Duke himself :P
Microwave Expander: Hold alt-fire to charge up a more powerful shot and release in one burst (I don't know about this one, I rarely use it myself)
Devastator: Not sure, it's powerful as it is.
Laser Tripbomb: Possibly use alt-fire to manually detonate placed tripbombs.
Freezethrower: Similar to my idea for Microwave Expander, holding down alt-fire to charge up a more powerful shot

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 16 April 2018 - 02:20 AM, said:

Would Blood-style alternate fire modes be out of scope for this mod? Some ideas

alt-fire modes are a big topic and could make for a whole other thread :P Currently, pressing the alt-fire key does manual reload on the pistol and uses the scope on the railgun. I'm not sure if I want to add proper alt-fire modes to any weapons. If you have followed other mods that I have coded (DNWMD, WGR2, DukePlus, Attrition, etc.) you know that I love adding lots of firing modes and upgrades to weapons. For AA, I'm taking a much more conservative approach, at least when it comes to Duke's weapons. I propose that we not worry about alt-fire for now, and focus on what Bombshell's weapons should be.

My current thinking for Bombshell:
1) kick to the face
2) Duel wield pistols. More DPS than a single pistol, but longer reload time and burns through ammo quicker.
3) Double-barreled shotgun. Same trade-off as above.
4) SMG. I would give it armor piercing, bleeding or some other effect to make it a little better than chaingun, with the trade-off that you have to reload.
5) Laser-guided rocket (similar to that in HL)
6) A literal bombshell with a remote detonator. Basically it's like Duke's pipebomb with a much bigger and more spectacular explosion, except that you can't throw it very far and you can't carry very many.
7) Self-shrinking gauntlets. While small she can fly around and punch enemies, and they have trouble targeting her. Lasts 10 seconds per charge. Kind of like the Wasp in Marvel.
8) The firework mortar. Shoots a bright shell that splits off into more smaller shells as it sails through the air, creating a deadly fireworks show.
9) An auto-turret; has a time limit or finite ammo.
10) ?? --something to go in freezer slot. Possibly a flamethrower, but that seems almost too predictable
11) ?? --somethig to go in expander slot. Possibly the Babifier. Turns an enemy into a random babe, or civilian dude.

Haha I overlooked the part about Bombshell being playable. What about inventory items, will she have her own versions of those as well?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 April 2018 - 03:00 AM, said:

11) ?? --somethig to go in expander slot. Possibly the Babifier. Turns an enemy into a random babe, or civilian dude.

aliens turned police into pig-cops, so turn the aliens into either pig-dukes (duke bodies with pigheads), or alien dukes (liztroops with duke's head) - an ally, until it gets killed or a timer runs out & it dies
of course this requires extra art, so probably not going to happen.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 April 2018 - 12:29 AM, said:

Discussion topic #1

What are some features that you would like to see added to Duke 3D for this mod? Let's keep in mind that it will remain classic renderer compatible (no models or 32-bit) and the core gameplay will remain intact. A lot has already been done, but I'm interested to hear some different ideas. The best suggestions are specific. Example: the nightvision goggles should, in addition to highlighting enemies and live actors, also increase overall visibility by 25%.

Discussion topic #2]

When Bombshell is added as a playable character, what should her loadout be? She will have an SMG, and she will be able to kick. Other than that, nothing has been determined yet. Should she have a weapon set that is equivalent to Duke's, should she have completely different weapons, or something in between?

Features I'd like to see? Oh, you've picked a wonderful day to ask me that question :lol:

The ability to consume food for health, a la The AMC TC
Vehicles
Weapon upgrades
More than one weapon per slot

I'm assuming that there isn't going to be a base like in the AMC TC for Duke and Bombshell to deploy from, and levels won't be "missions", but if so, I have one HELL of an idea for an optional boss. :P

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

I hope there is a level or a section in a level where the new slimer monsters appear, as well as full areas with aquatic enemies, of course this is more related to mapping than code.

User is offline   BoowHow 

I'm not sure if it would completely fit in, but I'm thinking that Pigcops could have a small chance to go into a Berserk mode (or something similiar) where they get a small health boost, while their movement and attack speed is increased by a large amount.
Also again not sure if it fits, but maybe have an even smaller chance that some "Normal" Pigcops regain their human senses and help Duke and Bombshell instead of fighting them.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMike Norvak, on 16 April 2018 - 06:48 AM, said:

I hope there is a level or a section in a level where the new slimer monsters appear, as well as full areas with aquatic enemies, of course this is more related to mapping than code.

Yes, I very much want to have that. But we don't yet have an aquatic map in development. Any chance you would want to make one? You would have about 2 months to finish it.

User is offline   Jblade 

Actually, you do I just haven't told you yet :P

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJblade, on 16 April 2018 - 10:44 AM, said:

Actually, you do I just haven't told you yet :P

I'd better get to work on coding those new enemies then!

@Mike: Having two aquatic themed maps would be better than one.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Is there any specific global plan about maps? as if there were part of an episode or just single maps?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 April 2018 - 12:29 AM, said:

Discussion topic #1

The two big ones I'd like to see are towards the Sentry Drones and the Troopers
-If Sentry Drones could have less health, that would be great since as it is they're a major pain. If you want to go the Nuclear Showdown route (sorry, JBlade) and up their damage to balance it out, that's fine. Or some other method if you want to avoid stepping on toes.
-Being able to shoot Troopers while they're clutching their throat and actually have that have an effect on if they come back or not, that would also be great. I really don't like wasting pipebombs on them every time they manage to somehow fake their way through a fatal gunshot to the head.

Some lesser ones I have in mind are:
-Making the holoduke work on things besides just Octabrains (I've always wondered if that was just a bug or what).
-Some sort of manual reload for the pistol
-Maybe some minor screen shake to give some of the weapons some more oomph when firing? Though that should probably be an optional thing to turn on and off since I know it bothers some people.

Spoiler

User is offline   Jblade 

By all means, any and all ideas that Dan or anybody like from my stuff they're more than welcome to borrow - I definitely find Sentry Drones much more fun to fight when they die to a single shotgun blast but deal a lot more damage in return. With auto-aim and modern mouse control the default ones are just so damn dull to fight.

The holoduke working and the manual reload are features already put in by Dan :P

Mike: The plan is a continuous episode, there's nothing set in stone for the story IIRC except for Bombshell but that may of changed already. The Oostrums and William Gee are working on OGBB which I'm guessing is a city map and my 2 maps are gonna be after that (an underwater one and then a EDF facility with the latter already finished)

This post has been edited by Jblade: 16 April 2018 - 09:19 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Yes, OGBB2 is a city map. I think the episode will be a bit like World Tour: just a couple of cool maps all centered around their own theme.
...except this one will feature better new enemies and bosses. :P

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 17 April 2018 - 08:44 AM

View PostMerlijn, on 17 April 2018 - 08:43 AM, said:

Yes, OGBB2 is a city map. I think the episode will be a bit like World Tour: just a couple of cool maps all centered around their own theme.
...except this one will feature better new enemies and bosses. :P

Bosses?

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah, there's plenty of new big bastards to shoot in AA.

This is gonna be a big one, innit.

Bigger than I was anticipating, at least.

There is a chance to introduce Drek's recreated Sonic Resonator
https://forums.duke4...post__p__131765

https://forums.duke4...post__p__233281

And a well coded version of Scorpion Tank and Organic Turret?

Also extend the standard meveset of the vanilla enemies could be appreciated, like give the pigcop his melee gun attack back.
https://vignette.wik...=20080131221250

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 20 April 2018 - 01:30 AM

Share this topic:

• 58 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options