Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown TC - v1.0 - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown TC - v1.0

User is online   Phredreeke 

View PostFox, on 17 March 2018 - 05:21 AM, said:

It's not just the magazine, it's actually in that PSX beta.

do you have access to that? is there anything interesting in it?

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

Thanks for the help, Fox.

In the level The Abyss. When you step in front of the sign for the San Andreas Fault. Duke will say "Holy Shit! but in TM Duke says "Fire In The Hole, Asshole!" instead.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Some sounds won't play the same because the original code to replace missing sounds doesn't work very well, I haven't figured out what it is doing wrong to reproduce it.

View PostPhredreeke, on 17 March 2018 - 05:59 AM, said:

do you have access to that? is there anything interesting in it?

No, you can tell from the image that it's the PSX version.

View PostFox, on 17 March 2018 - 03:36 PM, said:

Some sounds won't play the same because the original code to replace missing sounds doesn't work very well, I haven't figured out what it is doing wrong to reproduce it.

No, you can tell from the image that it's the PSX version.

I added the TM quote for that part of the map after adding in the TM additions to my game. I opened Mapster32 and opened E1L5. I went to that part of the map and the sector's low tag is listed as a "one time sound" which would be 10000. All you need to do is open the defs.con and find that quote that is listed there and see which number it is and replace the last 3 values of the 10000 with the number of that quote.

For example, the Duke quote "Fire in The Hole, Asshole!" in my defs.con is listed as 399. So what I did is set that sectors low tag to 10399 and that did the trick.

I'm not sure if you have attempted this but this is how I got mine to work.

User is offline   Fox 

Each map has a different set of sounds. In the case of sound 339 ("Fire in the hole, asshole!") it's only used in episode 1.

When I was looking for the data of the CON files in the ROM, I found a table that's used for replacing the sounds. I wrote the code for this to work however it does not match the results from the original game, and it seems to be an error of the original game that I couldn't reproduce yet.

My only real issue with this episode was Faces of Death. The way they did the exit was odd. First off you have to find the fake wall and jump into a vent shaft and fall down into the room below with the nuke button. In my version, I simply put the nuke button in the little room with the Battlelord. Which IMO is a bit more challenging to the player. To have to fight the battlelord before hitting the nuke button. In TM, this makes it pointless due to the setup.

The Ministry of Fear is also a bit odd. Most notably the music in that level. I'm guessing there are tagged sectors that are connected to a SE or Music SFX that play the song at different tones in certain parts of the map?

User is offline   Fox 

It's an SE.

Is it possible to somehow fix the text clashing with some of the other GUI elements?

For instance, the gold fonts clashing with the Duke badge, or if you go into the color palette settings, the text that goes behind the slider?

This post has been edited by MatthewPatel: 21 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

User is offline   Fox 

The fonts are just too big for the menus. Not as if it wasn't a problem in the original.

User is offline   NNC 

Duke is starting to develop a serious Parkinson disease in my version. It usually starts well, but after some time the monitor simply starts shaking, and it hurts the eyes badly. I turned on and off the vsync, used all modes (actually shaking is the worst in classic mode), but the problem stays.

Help please.

Other nitpicks:

When you drop into water, enemies immediately stop roaming around. Fall into the water in NZ when you go back from alien switch, and all recently spawn octabrains stop.

Burning flames are weird as they only start animating when they "see" you. If you go away their animation stops.

For those who have not play TM. You're going to encounter some glitchy a** sh**. From bad con coded battlelords to the most random sounds played during gameplay.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMav3r1ck, on 23 March 2018 - 08:26 PM, said:

For those who have not play TM. You're going to encounter some glitchy a** sh**. From bad con coded battlelords to the most random sounds played during gameplay.

I'm not sure why these problems weren't fixed. The point was to get the new levels with some PSX experience, bugs shouldn't have been carried on.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNancsi, on 24 March 2018 - 02:07 AM, said:

I'm not sure why these problems weren't fixed. The point was to get the new levels with some PSX experience, bugs shouldn't have been carried on.

That's how Fox rolls.

User is online   Phredreeke 

As I suggested earlier in this thread, fork it!

This got my to want to edit the game.con. This has been a pain in the arse and the coding in the game.con is a mess. I have successfully coded in the Magnum PIG to try out adding new enemies into the game.

1st issue: The Magnum PIG I coded in doesn't make the pig roar sound when he spots the player.

2nd issue: After killing it, the corpse of the Magnum PIG seems to be above the floor a little bit and even shows the shadow.

I have yet to find out how to fix these 2 issues.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostNancsi, on 23 March 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

Duke is starting to develop a serious Parkinson disease in my version. It usually starts well, but after some time the monitor simply starts shaking, and it hurts the eyes badly. I turned on and off the vsync, used all modes (actually shaking is the worst in classic mode), but the problem stays.

That may be due to Eduke32 experimental mouse smoothness. Try downloading latest Eduke32.

User is offline   NY00123 

So, I've completed the Plug -N- Pray episode via this TC, 2 nights earlier.

While not familiar with the original PSX port, I've still heard/read enough to know you've spent the time to make this close to the original, while also making usage of advantages of EDuke32's capabilities for PC environments.

Random comments (which obviously apply to the original PSX port, too):
- That end of Faces of Death has surely, well, *not* been that nice, heh.
- Occasionally I've felt there there were many enforcers (relatively), albeit I've probably been biased due to their apparent "strengths", also applying to the original DOS versions (emphasis on weapons, not hit points - it's more difficult to get away from their attacks, at least for me).
- There were surely some ideas for that episode.

Many have waited for this, and it's great to finally have the chance to try it out!

This post has been edited by NY00123: 24 March 2018 - 01:22 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Had some fun today: decided to give the PSX version a go on an emulator (ePSXe) and the results were quite surprising. If you overclock the emulated PSX CPU in order to smooth out the framerate you get a nice and steady 60 fps and with that the controls are actually pretty good. I'm not much of a console FPS gamer but I could play through the first few levels with a controller on Come Get Some and it was nice, actually I found the controls better than the keyboard controls of the PC version because of the nice analog aiming.

Btw. it's great how accurate this TC is to the original game though I found no mighty boot in the PSX version. Did I overlook something? Is there no mighty boot in the PSX original?

View PostZaxx, on 26 March 2018 - 03:05 PM, said:

Had some fun today: decided to give the PSX version a go on an emulator (ePSXe) and the results were quite surprising. If you overclock the emulated PSX CPU in order to smooth out the framerate you get a nice and steady 60 fps and with that the controls are actually pretty good. I'm not much of a console FPS gamer but I could play through the first few levels with a controller on Come Get Some and it was nice, actually I found the controls better than the keyboard controls of the PC version because of the nice analog aiming.

Btw. it's great how accurate this TC is to the original game though I found no mighty boot in the PSX version. Did I overlook something? Is there no mighty boot in the PSX original?

I don't think you could select the boot (hence why all the weapons have a lower number) but there is a quick kick.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View Postnecroslut, on 26 March 2018 - 03:09 PM, said:

I don't think you could select the boot (hence why all the weapons have a lower number) but there is a quick kick.

Yeah, I noticed that you can't select it (guess the TC is not accurate in this regard though I don't think anyone minds :)), couldn't figure out how to quick kick. Item selection is done through weird button combinations so guess the quick kick works like that too.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

In DOS Duke, the previous weapon / next weapon commands skip the Mighty Foot. This is almost certainly responsible for the inability to select the foot on console. I haven't tested but I'm sure the weapon slot itself works fine at the beginning of E1L3 and when you run out of all ammo.

Another thing I noticed in DNTM is that the new enemies don't make a sound when they spot duke. For example, the Pig Cop will roar after spotting Duke. I had coded in the Magnum PIG to see how to actually code in monsters in the game.con and it was a success. However, it does not have the roar sound when spotting Duke. I wonder if those who made the new enemies had considered this before releasing DNTM. Because it could explain the lack of new sounds for the new enemies in the game.

That being said. Where exactly does the RECOG sfx go in the new actor code?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMav3r1ck, on 26 March 2018 - 08:38 PM, said:

That being said. Where exactly does the RECOG sfx go in the new actor code?

All the bugs and omissions are there (sic) on purpose, since this is supposed to be a faithful reproduction of DNTM.

Having said that, in regular Duke 3D, the recog sfx for PIGCOP is hardcoded to the tile number and isn't used in the CON at all. If you were to add it in via actor code, you would find this:

ifaction APIGSTAND
    ai AIPIGSEEKENEMY

and change it to this:

ifaction APIGSTAND
{
    ai AIPIGSEEKENEMY
    sound PIG_RECOG
}

You would also add the sound to actor PIGCOPDIVE and actor PIGCOPSTAYPUT. I'm not familiar with this project, but I know that EDuke32 has the hardcoded wake up sound feature, so it's possible that this TC actively cancels the sound via setting RETURN -1 in the sound event for it or some other method.

View PostZaxx, on 26 March 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

Yeah, I noticed that you can't select it (guess the TC is not accurate in this regard though I don't think anyone minds :P), couldn't figure out how to quick kick. Item selection is done through weird button combinations so guess the quick kick works like that too.

It varies depending on the control settings, but yeah I remember it being a button combo to kick.

View PostHendricks266, on 26 March 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

In DOS Duke, the previous weapon / next weapon commands skip the Mighty Foot. This is almost certainly responsible for the inability to select the foot on console. I haven't tested but I'm sure the weapon slot itself works fine at the beginning of E1L3 and when you run out of all ammo.

It works as normally when you run out of ammo or don't have a weapon (ie E1L3), but I don't think you could select it normally. The slot command probably is still intact but there are no weapon slot keys.

User is offline   NNC 

The Pig-in-a.dress and the Zombie Pig have some newish sounds, are they completely new or just sped up or slowed down versions of the originals?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNancsi, on 27 March 2018 - 01:03 AM, said:

The Pig-in-a.dress and the Zombie Pig have some newish sounds, are they completely new or just sped up or slowed down versions of the originals?

Pretty sure some of them are completely new. However Total Meltdown sourced a lot of the sounds from their original source material on the Sound Ideas CD and as a result even the regular Troopers and Pigs sound slightly different.

The Pig Cops "Errrerrrghhh!" Alert noise is shared with it's FPS Cousin the OGRE in Quake.

User is offline   Fox 

Just like they re-rendered the enemy models, they used the original uncompressed sounds from 3D Realms. However the sampling rate is not the same, making some enemies sound different.

View PostZaxx, on 26 March 2018 - 03:17 PM, said:

Yeah, I noticed that you can't select it (guess the TC is not accurate in this regard though I don't think anyone minds :P), couldn't figure out how to quick kick. Item selection is done through weird button combinations so guess the quick kick works like that too.

Yeah, you use the quick kick with a combo.

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 March 2018 - 02:44 AM

User is offline   nukemania 

There's a scuba gear walled off in a little square in the hedge maze of Gates Motel. How is that meant to be accessed, if at all?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postnukemania, on 02 April 2018 - 06:00 PM, said:

There's a scuba gear walled off in a little square in the hedge maze of Gates Motel. How is that meant to be accessed, if at all?

iirc, touchplate.
you have to walk in the right spot to drop the floor door.

User is offline   nukemania 

Where is that spot, if you happen to know?
I'm not big on this type of secret (though it doesn't count as a secret). It reminds me of the bar secret in Duke Royale.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options