Duke4.net Forums: WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses! - Duke4.net Forums

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses!  "WG and DT present the ultimate 8-bit medieval fragfest"

User is offline   djdori11 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 29 2010, 02:58 PM, said:

Surprise! Spiker has finished a new level for WGR2, and I have put together a new version of this TC. Consider this a release candidate for WGR2 1.1

The new level, "Castle Demonhorn" is a separate episode from the older levels, but it's related to them in an important way. In this new mission, you must free Jedrik Demonhorn, who has been magically imprisoned in his own castle. A mighty warlord, he will join the fight against the demon siege once freed. To put it in gameplay terms: he's a playable character that you unlock by completing the new level.

For anyone new to this TC, it is a complete game and you don't need Duke 3D to play. Just download it and follow the simple installation instructions.

Here's a link to the new version: http://fissile.duke4...r2/WGR2v11b.zip

@Spiker and WG: I have to leave suddenly on a trip, and I will be away from my computer for about a week. If there's any code bugs they may have to wait until I get back.

wow this new version cool! i like it!

User is offline   t800 

Please dont forget about my bug report from previous page.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Yes, I'm on vacation, but I do have access to a computer. I don't know whether it can handle running WGR2 though (probably only in software mode if at all). I might be able to manage a few bugs while away (like the important one that TX mentioned).

@WG: Please do not upload to Mod DB yet! :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postt800, on Jun 30 2010, 08:54 AM, said:

Please dont forget about my bug report from previous page.

A virtual machine error caused by loading a saved game is beyond my abilities to fix. AFAIK it's an EDuke32 issue.

However, I was able to fix two serious bugs with the game tips, caused by recent additions. One problem was the hang pointed out by TX, which was caused by my using all 32 bits in a variable for storing which game tips had been activated, but not taking into account that the last bit is used for sign.

The second problem was caused by my saving the activated game tips so that they would not come up as new again when starting a new game. I forgot that when you started a new game, there was literally no current tip to be displayed, even if there were saved tips, and this led to a crash.

The attached CON fixes these bugs. Unzip WGR2GAME.CON and drop it in the WGR2_EP1 folder, and it should load when starting a new game.

Attached File(s)

View PostDeeperThought, on Jun 30 2010, 02:01 PM, said:

@WG: Please do not upload to Mod DB yet! :)

I uploaded some screenshots, let me know when a fixed pack is ready to upload and itle be done. :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostWilliam Gee, on Jul 1 2010, 12:17 AM, said:

I uploaded some screenshots, let me know when a fixed pack is ready to upload and itle be done. :)

To make a fixed pack, all you have to do is put the fixed CON that I posted above in WRG2.GRP to replace the existing one. There's a few known issues, though:

-EDuke32 still has at least one sound bug left. You can see evidence of this in the logs (something about too many iterations and trying to stop certain sounds). AFAIK it doesn't cause any noticeable ill effects, though.

-Spiker's map uses some sprites that have glowing pixels. I noticed these on a few of the torture machines, and there may be others. Those are very difficult for me to fix, so I didn't.

-Jedrik uses the character art from the Hexen warrior, which does not have crouching or swimming animations. So if you use F7 and do those things, he looks like Duke.

-I'm not sure, but I'm afraid that if you free Jedrik and then immediately start a new game without quitting EDuke32 first, he won't be available. IIRC, game variables don't get saved until EDuke32 exits. If that's the case, it's an EDuke32 issue, but it's one that might be worth waiting to be fixed before a wider release. Someone should verify whether that happens.

Of those issues, only the last one would be serious enough to delay a release imo.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostTX, on Jun 30 2010, 03:30 AM, said:

I forgot to mention this to you earlier, Dan, but the armor icon in the HUD doesn't look so great. I understand that it's supposed to be a chestplate or something but it looks like some hilarious rubber mask that little Johnny got so he could be a giant insect for Halloween. Fly man comes to eat your brains! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I never noticed that, until I read this. Now I can't unsee it :) :)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is there any way to get rid of the "Game Over" header covering the screen? Right after I clicked F6, I died and when I reload the game there is no way to avoid dying. I have to DNKROZ my way out of it. I can get the pallete to go back to normal, but the huge "GAME OVER" thing stays and it's super annoying to play this way.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRadar1013, on Jul 1 2010, 06:02 PM, said:

Is there any way to get rid of the "Game Over" header covering the screen? Right after I clicked F6, I died and when I reload the game there is no way to avoid dying. I have to DNKROZ my way out of it. I can get the pallete to go back to normal, but the huge "GAME OVER" thing stays and it's super annoying to play this way.

I could probably code something to change that. However, I find it slightly annoying that you act like it's a bug when you use the god mode cheat to resurrect a dead player and things don't go back to normal. God mode does not truly bring the player back to life, and certain things would remain messed up after that cheat even if the 'GAME OVER' were removed (that's true in regular Duke 3D as well). Also, you can avoid the problem easily by entering god mode BEFORE you die. Even if the player is an instant away from death in your saved game, all you have to do is press pause the moment you load the saved game, and then enter the cheat when paused.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 01 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 1 2010, 08:18 AM, said:

-I'm not sure, but I'm afraid that if you free Jedrik and then immediately start a new game without quitting EDuke32 first, he won't be available. IIRC, game variables don't get saved until EDuke32 exits. If that's the case, it's an EDuke32 issue, but it's one that might be worth waiting to be fixed before a wider release. Someone should verify whether that happens.

That would only happen if you told it to readgamevar again before the new value was written to the cfg (which happens at exit, as you said). If that's the case, overwriting the current status of the gamevar determining whether Jedrik has been freed with the copy from the cfg would be a bug in WGR2. :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Jul 1 2010, 10:06 PM, said:

That would only happen if you told it to readgamevar again before the new value was written to the cfg (which happens at exit, as you said). If that's the case, overwriting the current status of the gamevar determining whether Jedrik has been freed with the copy from the cfg would be a bug in WGR2. :)

Ok, let's walk through this. The player frees Jedrik, and the variable gets set so that he will now be available. Then the variable is saved using savegamevar. The level completed, the game ends and returns to the main menu. Now suppose the player, eager to use the new character, starts a new game without exiting EDuke32. When you start a new game, all variables are set to their initial values, so Jedrik will be unavailable. That's why the gamevar must be read--to overwrite the initial value and restore it to the saved value. But, because the gamevar isn't really saved until EDuke32 exits, there is no variable to read from the cfg. If that's a "bug" in WGR2, then, perhaps you could explain a non buggy way of achieving the desired result?

Why can't you just make it so that the gamevars are written to the cfg when the game ends, or better yet, give the scripter control over when they are written?

• el fundador

Why can't you just set a var when you use readgamevar and prevent the variables from being re-read when that var is already set? That way, I have to do nothing and your mod has one less bug in it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Jul 1 2010, 11:38 PM, said:

Why can't you just set a var when you use readgamevar and prevent the variables from being re-read when that var is already set? That way, I have to do nothing and your mod has one less bug in it.

The only time any variable is ever read is when a new game is started. I don't need to make new vars telling my code not to read them again because they are only read once.

The problem occurs when someone finishes a game, then starts a new game without exiting EDuke32 in between. Starting a new game will of course reset ALL game variables, and that's when variables need to be read from the cfg, to restore them to their saved values. Hard to do that if they aren't in the cfg yet, because EDuke32 doesn't put them there until exit. Or am I missing something? Honestly, I just want the game to work correctly.

• el fundador

Weird, I could have sworn there was a gamevar flag that let vars not be reset when starting a new game. I guess I'll have to extend that GAMEVAR_NODEFAULT flag that stops per-actor vars from resetting when an actor spawns to also apply to global gamevars resetting when a new game is started.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTX, on Jul 2 2010, 02:47 AM, said:

Weird, I could have sworn there was a gamevar flag that let vars not be reset when starting a new game. I guess I'll have to extend that GAMEVAR_NODEFAULT flag that stops per-actor vars from resetting when an actor spawns to also apply to global gamevars resetting when a new game is started.

Yes, you could do that, and combined with your earlier suggestion of adding another var that gets set when savegamevar is used, it should do the trick. But I still wish that there were a savegamevarnow command, because shit can happen --crashes, hangs, etc-- that prevents EDuke32 from exiting properly, and in that case the saved gamevars are lost. Also, what happens if there are gamevars waiting to be written, then the player saves the game, and then it crashes. If the player loads the saved game and then exits normally, do they get written?

• el fundador

Yeah, they should be written in that case.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm back at my own computer, and I have repackaged WGR2 1.1 with the needed fixes:

http://fissile.duke4...gr2/WGR2v11.zip

-fixes game tip crashes
-fixes readgamevar bug mentioned above
-fixes text alignment of inventory item names
-includes new Jedrik.map with a little bug fix
-includes latest build of EDuke32

@WG: As far as I am concerned, this is now ready to be uploaded to the Mod DB page!

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 6 2010, 04:55 PM, said:

Not Found

The requested URL /wgr2/WGR2v11.zip was not found on this server. :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sorry about that, the file name is fixed now, try again.

User is offline   ZedDB 

Should the cave with the "wall crush" trap in the new map really be as dark as it is? The torches in that dungeon suggests otherwise as they are fullbright (and lit) but they does not illuminate the cave in the slightest it seems.
The DB shootgun gives me segfaults when fired also (I'm using eduke svn rev 1671):
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000000005064cb in S_LoadSound (num=4294967295) at source/sounds.c:373
373		if (g_sounds[num].filename == NULL && g_sounds[num].filename1 == NULL)
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000000005064cb in S_LoadSound (num=4294967295) at source/sounds.c:373
Cannot access memory at address 0x7fffffffd498

Also I really think the pixels on textures that have the red fullbright color on them and some banners that had some pink still left on the edges should be fixed!
I can try to fix these texture problems with if you want to but I don't really know of a way to work with the grp files under linux. So it would be really helpful if I could get the the extracted/source textures so that I don't have to send you big grp files just for some changed colors :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZedDB, on Jul 8 2010, 01:44 PM, said:

Should the cave with the "wall crush" trap in the new map really be as dark as it is? The torches in that dungeon suggests otherwise as they are fullbright (and lit) but they does not illuminate the cave in the slightest it seems.
The DB shootgun gives me segfaults when fired also (I'm using eduke svn rev 1671):
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0x00000000005064cb in S_LoadSound (num=4294967295) at source/sounds.c:373
373		if (g_sounds[num].filename == NULL && g_sounds[num].filename1 == NULL)
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00000000005064cb in S_LoadSound (num=4294967295) at source/sounds.c:373
Cannot access memory at address 0x7fffffffd498

Also I really think the pixels on textures that have the red fullbright color on them and some banners that had some pink still left on the edges should be fixed!
I can try to fix these texture problems with if you want to but I don't really know of a way to work with the grp files under linux. So it would be really helpful if I could get the the extracted/source textures so that I don't have to send you big grp files just for some changed colors :)

I have attached tles015 and tiles016, which I believe contain the tiles with the full bright pixels used in Spiker's map.

Torches: Those act as Polymer lights and do light stuff nearby. Maybe this is why Spiker didn't add sector lighting to them as well?

Shotgun: It does not crash for me no matter how many times I shoot it (and I am also using 1671). Apparently it's only a problem for linux users.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   ZedDB 

Attached File  art15_16fixes.zip (1.64MB)
Number of downloads: 648
I've fixed: Dead bodies, spear, bat blood, candles, chandelier, spider blood (still has glowing eyes :) ), hornet eyes (not glowing).
When converting images from other games make sure that the colors doesn't get the glowing palette colors! In this case colors 246-248 from dukes palette.

Also about the polymer lights. They are pretty and all but the polymer render makes my ATi 4870 cry. And because of this the aiming goes out of the window.
And if I play in polymost the level is so dark in some places that I have to press my face against my monitor to make out anything at all. It took ~30min for me to navigate the near pitch black "maze" where the wall crush trap is :)
Seems like the gamma/brightness eduke controls are broken as they don't change anything :D

User is offline   Spiker 

This is the darkest area in the whole map and it was intended to be like this. But Definately there is something wrong with your settings because everything is easy to distinguish for me with the standard settings. Also this area is very small, I don't know how this could take you 30 minutes :)

User is offline   ZedDB 

Well I didn't time it. And I didn't use the map feature. If the picture below is as dark as it is for me then you'll see that it will be quite hard to navigate as you can't see what is a wall and what is not. I ran around there for some time and first thought that it was a dead end.
Attached Image: duke0001.png

User is offline   Spiker 

For me it's fine. My advice is:

- check if the sun does not reflect in your screen

- increase your screen brightness

User is offline   ZedDB 

If the picture I attached above is fine then I think some thing is wrong. I've color calibrated my screen to get correct colors when working with photos etc. It's not prefect but my screen displays the colors pretty close to what it should be. And to make sure I took a look at the palette from the screenshot I provided and the majority of the colors is nearly black (RGB 0 0 0).
Now I know that there will perhaps a handful of people that will play this that has calibrated monitors. But why insist on forcing people to crank up their brightness/contrast so that black is not black and so on?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I can't see shit in ZadDB's picture, only the HUD and the flame torches are showing,
I know it has anything to do with his monitor Spiker as the HUD and them torches are coloured correctly as they would show in any other screenshot.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostZedDB, on Jul 9 2010, 03:47 AM, said:

Attachment art15_16fixes.zip
I've fixed: Dead bodies, spear, bat blood, candles, chandelier, spider blood (still has glowing eyes :) ), hornet eyes (not glowing).
When converting images from other games make sure that the colors doesn't get the glowing palette colors! In this case colors 246-248 from dukes palette.

Also about the polymer lights. They are pretty and all but the polymer render makes my ATi 4870 cry. And because of this the aiming goes out of the window.
And if I play in polymost the level is so dark in some places that I have to press my face against my monitor to make out anything at all. It took ~30min for me to navigate the near pitch black "maze" where the wall crush trap is :)
Seems like the gamma/brightness eduke controls are broken as they don't change anything :D

Thanks! None of those tiles were ones that I had converted. As for the screenshot you posted: I can see the walls, floor etc. well enough to navigate, but it is very dark. It does look strange to have bright torches there which aren't lighting anything.

User is offline   Spiker 

So the conclusion is that? any solution? (better a good one or I will give many arguments why I did it this way.)

BTW the torches that can be seen on this screenshot emit a light of a very weird and not good looking pinkish hue, it would be good to change it so somewhat more orange/yellow. And the light emited by the powerpod is now broken, it's extremly white with giant range making half of the screen completely white.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The light they emitted was red, specifically:

R 192 G 64 B 64

I have changed it to yellow/orange and it looks better now. I also reduced the radius of the power pod light.

New CON attached.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 09 July 2010 - 08:48 AM

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options