Duke4.net Forums: WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses! - Duke4.net Forums

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WG Realms 2: Get Medieval on Their Asses!  "WG and DT present the ultimate 8-bit medieval fragfest"

User is offline   Spiker 

Ok, but doesn't it look too white?

Posted Image

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

You want me to add some blue to it? Fine. But the bigger problem is that the light looks like it is behind the power pod instead of coming from it, despite the fact that the power pod is spritenoshade and full bright. I don't know what I can do about that, the light is at the same coordinates as the sprite.

User is offline   ZedDB 

Yes that is too bright IMO... Or it's a too directed light source. It doesn't seem to illuminate nearly as much as I would expect with that much white on the wall.
Edit: Some blue would be good also. I always thought they would glow in a light blue color.

Edit2: Wow, just finished the new map. GJ Spiker! It was a huge and fun map IMO the epicness never seemed to end! :)
I didn't find anything else that bugged me besides what I previously pointed out. I hope to see more maps for WGR2 from you! :)

This post has been edited by ZedDB: 09 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

On Mod DB now.
http://www.moddb.com...nloads/wgr2-v11

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostWilliam Gee, on Jul 9 2010, 06:03 PM, said:

Great! Now could you fix the summary page by getting rid of the garbage characters after the facebook link? And maybe move Spiker's walkthrough videos to the tutorials section?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Might also want to fix this typo that several people noticed. (how could you not? lol)

http://www.moddb.com/games/wgrealms-2/imag...ap-comeing-soon

This post has been edited by The Commander: 09 July 2010 - 05:54 PM

If you look at the side you can see it is already changed, I fixed that last week, but it doesn't fix it above. Of cause I could just remove the pics and upload again.

@ DT all done, just have to wait for the tutorial to be authorized.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

The title, "Spikers user map, comeing soon." you should be able to change by clicking the edit button on the side of it.

But if you are saying you have updated, I aint seeing it. (I know you can't update the URL though)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xXaquMgptGU
First fan play through of spikers new level.

• Duke Plus Developer

That's cool! But, he like, died. And stayed dead.

By the way, I started making a video walkthrough of the entire original episode using the new character.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 10 July 2010 - 08:47 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

Cool! I was going to record it (meaning my map) myself soon in high quality. But I'm strugling with low disk space at the moment and I would need about 40GB to record it without slowdowns.

Hmmm yesterday I played some Blood and that gives me inspiration of how to improve these torches (assuming this would work the same way, not sure though).
Should I go for it?

I've also noticed that blood has an improved SE (at least I think so) which is responisble for sector floating. In duke you need 2 float SE to make something
move proportional, which a real pain to do and often impossible in large and complicated sectors. But in blood in certain areas it's used on a massive scale. I wonder if DT could code a good floating SE for his mods? Something like with DP water effect but this time for sectors. I think this could be pretty useful.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 10 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

I guess I could code it, but I don't really know what you are talking about. I haven't played Blood, sorry. Could you show me a movie of "sector floating" or describe it better?

Speaking of disk space, I realized I don't have enough to do what I wanted with the big walkthrough, so I'm going to scale it way back or not do it at all.

User is offline   Spiker 

Here is an exaple of steady floating while he's standing on the boat.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CvI0So0BV5k

User is offline   ZedDB 

View PostSpiker, on Jul 11 2010, 09:42 AM, said:

Hmmm yesterday I played some Blood and that gives me inspiration of how to improve these torches (assuming this would work the same way, not sure though).
Should I go for it?

*M Bison voice* OF COURSE!
Well you can at least try it out and see if it look better and post the results here for feedback! :)

• Duke Plus Developer

Ah, I see, you mean sector floors moving up and down in a kind of sine function. It would be pretty easy to add an SE that does it. But I'm sure I've seen this effect in Duke maps. What exactly is the Duke version missing? I don't want to code something that already exists...

User is offline   Spiker 

Yes, as I said there is something like this. But when you put it inside a sector then only one side of it is floating. And to fix it you have to put it other neighbouring sector as well. But when a sector has a complicated shape then it may be impossible and give strange results.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSpiker, on Jul 11 2010, 01:38 AM, said:

Yes, as I said there is something like this. But when you put it inside a sector then only one side of it is floating. And to fix it you have to put it other neighbouring sector as well. But when a sector has a complicated shape then it may be impossible and give strange results.

That sounds impossible. How could only one side of a sector be floating? If the sector floor is rising, then the whole sector must rise. I would have to see it to understand.

At any rate, I'm thinking the new SE would have options for:

* amplitude: the distance traveled up and down by the sector
* rate: the length of time it takes for the sector to complete the cycle
* time offset: so that you can have different sectors synced or unsynced

And if you set nothing except the lotag, it would use defaults that are good for a water floating effect.

User is offline   Spiker 

Here is a pic of how it works. You can see that one side grabs the highest point and doesn't move and only the lower one is slightly moving up and down.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Spiker: 11 July 2010 - 01:04 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

I just remembered, the sector movement will not look smooth the way I was going to code it (changing the floor height directly) because it won't have movement interpolation to simulate movement that occurs between game tics like the hardcoded elevators have. Unless I can find a way around that problem, it may not be worth adding.

If a sole SE 31/32 is placed into a sector (even with no activators), it will have interpolation.

This post has been edited by CraigFatman: 11 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostDeeperThought, on Jul 11 2010, 03:59 PM, said:

I just remembered, the sector movement will not look smooth the way I was going to code it (changing the floor height directly) because it won't have movement interpolation to simulate movement that occurs between game tics like the hardcoded elevators have. Unless I can find a way around that problem, it may not be worth adding.

I'd like to see it anyway.

Soon I should upload a playthrough of my map.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCraigFatman, on Jul 11 2010, 09:31 AM, said:

If a sole SE 31/32 is placed into a sector (even with no activators), it will have interpolation.

Thanks, I'll try that.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostZedDB, on Jul 9 2010, 01:49 PM, said:

Well I didn't time it. And I didn't use the map feature. If the picture below is as dark as it is for me then you'll see that it will be quite hard to navigate as you can't see what is a wall and what is not. I ran around there for some time and first thought that it was a dead end.
Attachment duke0001.png

It's insanely dark. Your monitor is fine.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is it possible that the evil ninja from Shadow Warrior can be put into WGR2? They had a cool death animation when they were sliced in half, and it would be really cool if Jedrik could do that when I use his sword.

A WGR2 Stream is imminent!

I'll be doing a live playthrough of the new level plus the first episode as the new character.

Link to stream is at:

http://www.justin.tv/seriouscacodemon

EDIT: Stream's over now. Had a lot of fun playing the new map, then taking on Episode 1 as Jedrik and then redoing Castle Demonhorn as Jedrik. Thanks everyone who watched!

This post has been edited by Serious Cacodemon: 12 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSerious Cacodemon, on Jul 12 2010, 05:53 PM, said:

A WGR2 Stream is imminent!

I'll be doing a live playthrough of the new level plus the first episode as the new character.

Link to stream is at:

http://www.justin.tv/seriouscacodemon

OK, I'll tune in for at least part of it. I have some videos of the new character that I will upload soon, as well.

EDIT: Hmm, I'm not sure if I want to register, though (necessary for making comments, I guess). I would probably never use the account again, but my e-mail would get spammed for eternity.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 12 July 2010 - 05:08 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks Cacodemon! It was a good and long session. First he played Castle Demonhorn to unlock Jedrik. Then he played the entire episode using Jedrik. I don't think the episode had even been completed with him before, and we saw a few bugs which I will now fix. For the most part, it worked smoothly.

User is offline   Spiker 

Finally a playthrough of my map. Playing as warrior on 4th skill. Squished into 3 parts:

- Part 1 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ltVdz7YpTPo
- Part 2 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qFvcCHTj3z0
- Part 3 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xzIsl-W2KEs

In this playthrough all the secrets are revealed :)

This post has been edited by Spiker: 14 July 2010 - 06:39 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSpiker, on Jul 14 2010, 07:39 AM, said:

Finally a playthrough of my map. Playing as warrior on 4th skill. Squished into 3 parts:

- Part 1 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ltVdz7YpTPo
- Part 2 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qFvcCHTj3z0
- Part 3 http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xzIsl-W2KEs

In this playthrough all the secrets are revealed :)

You did a great job with those movies. I was going to upload some new ones, but now I think there is no need. I hope WG will link those to the Mod DB page.

I'm working on an update. Here are some bugs that will be fixed:

-If you use the shrinkshroom to enter the fortress, and then exit the fortress without hitting the gate switch, it is impossible to get back inside and finish the level. To fix this, I'm making the 'shrooms respawn after a while.

-Some voice clips from Duke still play if you are using Jedrik

-Monsters with the curse aura can become frozen and not be hittable

Do you know of any other bugs?

I do have one small suggestion for the demonhorn level, and that is to make the quiver near the beginning pal 23 (spy arrows), since those are better for hitting the switch. I can do that myself if you don't mind.

There's also a need for balance tweaks. I think POW makes bosses too easy, especially the final boss in the regular episode, so I'm going to make the lightning and minotaurs less damaging against bosses (but not cyberdemons). It was already nerfed like that, but it needs more nerfing. It will still be useful, but you won't to able to just activate POW and watch the boss die with minimal effort. Secondly, it seems that Jedrik's hammer throw is not very useful compared with his hammer strike. If there is an enemy too far away to reach with the shockwave and you have no arrows, then it's useful, but that's about it. The final boss in the regular episode also needs to be more dangerous. I'm thinking I'll give him a final transformation... The sad thing is he was actually very cool and challenging when I first coded him, but that was when I assumed he would be in a standard arena type environment. He doesn't perform as well where he ended up, in an open environment with lots of cliffs.

Then there's a few bigger things that have been planned for a long time and weren't going to be added until the next big episode, but I'm thinking it might be better to add them now because I don't know when the next episode will be made. It could be years and I might have lost interest by then or have no time to work on it. It would require some minor editing to the maps.

User is offline   Spiker 

Feel free to make any changes necessary to the map. I can't think of any bugs at the moment but it's a bit strange that hammerstrike wave damages monsters also when they fly. As you mentioned balancing is the most difficult and the most needed part here.

Unfortunately my efforts to improve the lighting in polymost in the "Blood style" failed because it occurs that Blood has one more SE that manipulates shading in sectors other than random lights.

But one more idea that came into my mind is that all torches and fires should play a fire sound of a small radius, this would add to the atmosphere and it would be more realistic. And I think that few torches like the one that has only blue and green variations don't emit any light in polymer.

Share this topic:

• 30 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options