Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 Scripting - Duke4.net Forums

• 86 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 Scripting  "CON coding help"

is there any way to read keystrokes in events EVENT_DISPLAYMENU, EVENT_CHANGEMENU, EVENT_SCREEN or when game is paused setuserdef[] .pause_on 2
This could be very useful for creating an inventory interface, for example.

User is offline   Sangman 

Is it possible to detect if the player has a given tilenumber in view? The way I was thinking of doing it was to do a hitscan check from every pixel covering the player's view, but that sounds entirely ridiculous.
Still, we have some functions like ifcansee that work against actors. I probably need that but for textures.

edit:

Apparently this is exposed via the gotpic array in CON.

ife gotpic[tilenum] 1 => means that tilenum is currently visible

The array doesn't reset on its own (there is an EVENT_RESETGOTPICS but from what I can tell from the source code, this only gets called when handling mirrors), but you can do so manually inside your code bock:

setarray gotpic[tilenum] 0

So far performance seems ok

Credit to Mblackwell for letting me know

This post has been edited by Sangman: 10 February 2020 - 09:29 AM

User is online   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSangman, on 10 February 2020 - 06:44 AM, said:

ife gotpic[tilenum] 1 => means that tilenum is currently visible

The array doesn't reset on its own (there is an EVENT_RESETGOTPICS but from what I can tell from the source code, this only gets called when handling mirrors), but you can do so manually inside your code bock:

setarray gotpic[tilenum] 0

Interesting. So what exactly causes the elements to get set? For example, if a certain enemy dies in a place where no players are around, is its dead body tile "in view"? Or does it require that the tile is actually rendered on a screen?

User is offline   Sangman 

Good questions, which I'm sure somebody can answer :D

User is offline   F!re-Fly 

I just had another rather specific idea. I wonder if it really possible that an enemy can patrol freely in an area until he sees the player, in order to attack him? I wonder if modifying a statnum or using a sprite similar to "locator" could do that, to define a route in a sector.

This post has been edited by Firefly Trooper: 19 February 2020 - 12:48 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 February 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:

Interesting. So what exactly causes the elements to get set? For example, if a certain enemy dies in a place where no players are around, is its dead body tile "in view"? Or does it require that the tile is actually rendered on a screen?

It requires the tile to be rendered.

This was added so the skybox in Ion Fury would only be drawn if the skybox texture (which is a blank tile) was visible.

Note that it's only set after it's rendered (meaning that in the Ion Fury example there's a 1 frame delay).

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFox, on 19 February 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

It requires the tile to be rendered.

This was added so the skybox in Ion Fury would only be drawn if the skybox texture (which is a blank tile) was visible.

Note that it's only set after it's rendered (meaning that in the Ion Fury example there's a 1 frame delay).

I miss-clicked and downvoted you by accident (that was supposed to be an upvote).

Anyway, that's a good feature for saving resources with an expensive command like showview

User is offline   Darkus 

I want to make an actor shoot at, not another actor, but at a specific spot. I have the X/Y coords of both shooter/target, but I don't know how to measure the distance between two spots. There's ldist but it's only useful with sprites, is there an equivalent for points?

User is offline   Darkus 

Found a solution. It's a bit messy, but it consists of teleporting the player, take measurement, and teleport it back.

getplayer[THISACTOR].posx temp1
getplayer[THISACTOR].posy temp2
setplayer[THISACTOR].posx XPOS
setplayer[THISACTOR].posy YPOS
ldist DISTDIFF THISACTOR player[THISACTOR].i
setplayer[THISACTOR].posx temp1
setplayer[THISACTOR].posy temp2

I'm trying to make monsters shoot at the direction of the player's movements (if you played Unreal games, you know what I mean).

• Duke Plus Developer

Seems legit for a Duke hack. I've done stuff like that. But you could have used the Pythagorean theorem and just calculated it.

EDIT: Here, if the vars "hitx" and "hity" are the distant coordinates, and assuming the other vars have been declared, then this will do the job

set xydist sprite[].x
	sub xydist hitx
	mul xydist xydist
	set y2 sprite[].y
	sub y2 hity
	mul y2 y2
	add xydist y2
	sqrt xydist xydist

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 22 March 2020 - 03:56 PM

User is offline   Darkus 

Thanks, it's the example I needed. It works in both cases, I managed to achieve the effect I wanted: making enemies anticipate your moves.

Example, dodging left:

https://i.postimg.cc/Zn3D9vRp/duke-smartshot1.png

Also made a variant that take account of height. This time dodging left and jetpack on, going up:

https://i.postimg.cc/66GPbg0q/duke-smartshot2.png

• Duke Plus Developer

Cool. The old move parameter "faceplayersmart" also does that, although I'm sure it's very primitive.

User is offline   Darkus 

faceplayersmart don't take account of the distance and projectile speed. Just run toward an enemy that using that move, and I see how he turns you back :lol:

Share this topic:

• 86 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options