Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked

User is offline   3D Master 

Managed to find 7 out of 10 secrets; can't find the remaining three; can anyone make a list?

E1M2 remade I find 5 out of 8, well, 6 out of 8; however the nightgoggles secret behind the stage, I don't think it's possible to get it. You used to just jump from the raised platform directly; the added railing though, makes it difficult to jump on time to begin with, and if you do manage to jump, you bump against the ceiling and fall down before you can get to the platform with the night vision goggles. Has anyone made this jump? You don't seem to be able to raise the second dancer platform either like in the original, which is weird. Anyone have a secret list for this, and a tip on how to get those goggles?

As for frame rate drops; isn't the initial drop through the ventilation shaft handled with the teleporter? Just like the tunnel to the new boss fight? Those are the only times eduke32 on my GTX 980 had a massive hickup; and then back to smooth sailing. From that I figure that eDuke32 just doesn't know how to deal with teleporters; it can't tell that it should add the area you will teleport to to the pipeline when you get close enough to a teleporter; the result is that eDuke32 essentially needs to build an entire area from scratch the moment you teleport, rather than have anything preloaded.

This post has been edited by 3D Master: 31 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

User is offline   Mark 

The first time you run the mod it will hiccup in a few places. After that the cache is loaded and most but not all smooth out.

I don't think anyone, including me, made a list of the secret places. To be honest I don't remember adding any in Red Light District but maybe I did. I'll do a quick runthru of HH and see if I can find and list them.

This post has been edited by Mark: 31 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

User is offline   3D Master 

View PostMark, on 31 January 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

The first time you run the mod it will hiccup in a few places. After that the cache is loaded and most but not all smooth out.

I don't think anyone, including me, made a list of the secret places. To be honest I don't remember adding any in Red Light District but maybe I did. I'll do a quick runthru of HH and see if I can find and list them.

I played it twice, the second time still had the hiccups after the teleports.

User is offline   Mark 

What a travesty. I'm guessing its a Russian player that put up a youtube video and absolutely hacked up the game during install so that it looks and plays nothing like its supposed to. Is there anyone here that could translate the title of the video and give me just a brief description of what the guy is saying?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

HHR without dynamic lights?

User is offline   Mark 

Its missing all the store fronts, debris, lighting, new textures and models. Enemy anims are wrong. Its suppose to start with the HH map. It makes HHR look like a joke

This post has been edited by Mark: 06 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

Duke 3D company with a mod
(company?)

Video description:

Again experiments on crossing games and mods. We go through the levels from the original Duke 3D company with the Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked mod, or rather, an overview of what Duke Nyukem 3D (1996) could be like with this mod. We look at new skins of enemies and hope that 2 (space station and lunar base ) and 3 (return to the city) chapters will be updated the mod itself with one level https://www.moddb.co...olocaust-rethin
He pasted the link badly anyway.

However, make Rethinked content work on original and custom levels is undeniably cool.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 06 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

User is offline   Mark 

My guess is he ignored instructions and just popped it into his Steam or WT folder and expected it to run.

Another YT reviewer mis-spelled the mod as Hollywood Horrorcaust Rethinked. Duh.

This post has been edited by Mark: 06 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

View PostMark, on 06 October 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

Another YT reviewer mis-spelled the mod as Hollywood Horrorcaust Rethinked. Duh.

Or it's intentional as to not get demonetised :o

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Does he think that we did all the other levels? That's frightening.

Also, I never heard from Night Fright over putting the new monsters into the HRP. What is people's opinion on that?

User is offline   Mark 

No. The text says he "hopes" the other levels get done.

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Well, he misspelled the word "campaign" so you read it as "company" in translation. Honestly, I do not want to watch this vid, but you have to understand: russian people like to get everything for free. We still can pirate anything and we won't get any punishment for that. So probably he downloaded "free Duke Nukem 3D super HD pack".

User is offline   Sanek 

View Postbrullov, on 08 October 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

russian people like to get everything for free. We still can pirate anything and we won't get any punishment for that. So probably he downloaded "free Duke Nukem 3D super HD pack".

If there was no pirates in post-ussr countries, 99% of us won't be there. I don't have a single doubt that all of us russian-speaking men here first experienced Duke thanks to some warez cd.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Stalin fvcced my entire country and even I'm not that bitter about Russians.

User is offline   Mark 

I've seen fvcc in a bunch of posts here lately and I can't find what it means.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Isn't U spelled with V in Russian? Or something?

User is online   Vagan 

Maybe a dual "cc" might also be pronounced similarly to "k"? But I'm no linguist.

I don't know about Cyrillic, but in Latin U and V used to be the same letter up until the Middle Ages.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View Postbrullov, on 08 October 2019 - 08:10 AM, said:

So probably he downloaded "free Duke Nukem 3D super HD pack".

It sounded like this guy just wanted to experience original episodes using this mod (or rather its assets), no? He wouldn't even bother naming his video after this mod specifically if that's what it was. Though it seems like he used some other custom mods, there are some different sounds that weren't in HHR, for example. He clearly knew what he was doing there, especially considering he even used console commands.

View PostSpitfire, on 10 October 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

Stalin fvcced my entire country and even I'm not that bitter about Russians.

Spoiler

View PostPhredreeke, on 10 October 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

I don't know about Cyrillic, but in Latin U and V used to be the same letter up until the Middle Ages.

And that's why Radar is using that when he writes slurs. But am I missing something? Didn't catch on how this topic is relevant to Cyrillic, Romanians don't use Cyrillic last time I checked?

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 10 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Romanian uses the Latin alphabet. LOL I just spell it that way to take the edge off my posts, because I don't swear in real life. I appreciate the 4D chess theories though.

Yeah, I know. I mean, you mentioned that before.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 10 October 2019 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark, on 10 October 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

I've seen fvcc in a bunch of posts here lately and I can't find what it means.

Murharharhar - only duke4.net has answers :D

yeah; I did not know either until knowledge peeps posted here. :o

This post has been edited by Taamalus: 10 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

User is offline   Mark 

OK. Now that its settled we can get back to praising this terrific mod. :o

You're saying this as if someone stopped praising it. :o

User is offline   Mark 

I derailed the thread 20 posts ago with the Russian Youtube video and just wanted to steer things back on track. :o

On Duke4.net players have been kind. Not so much in the comments section of some of the YT videos. :D

This post has been edited by Mark: 11 October 2019 - 06:29 AM

I actually watched one video recently and noticed that too. That's expected from YouTube though, its comment section is absolute shit most of the time. But in case of the mod, I assume the people that criticize it aren't really familiar with Duke 3D or old games, the gameplay was really terrible in that video I watched (very typical for the people that play only new games).

User is offline   Mark 

If I owned a powerful enough computer to make a decent recording without stutter I would have set up a YT account and posted one.

You are right though. Many don't realise what the Build engine or Eduke32 is capable of or limited by. Aside from the game engine side of things, one common complaint was the NPCs not acting scared during the invasion. Part of that is my fault for being too lazy to create that YT account so I could tell these people that a serious version of the HH map was also created that got rid of most of the NPCs and humor along with E1L2 which was also a serious map.

One reviewer didn't play the TC ahead of time and got lost, missed secrets, missed entire areas, had stutters and lockups. I wish he would taken the time to do a better job. Judging from the number of game reviews he has on YT he's not a noob.

I expected bad reviews along with the good but one thing that surprised me was the negative comments about LGR doing some custom Duke one-liners. I thought he did a fantastic job. IMO I think he was the best copycat I've heard anywhere but some guys posted it was horrible. Ah well, nitpickers will always be around.

User is offline   Hank 

Hate me if you must.
I do have very powerful computers, but EDuke32, do not warrant them, or even work with it; - - sure blame my ignorance. :D

If you want the latest techno, then move over to Unity 3D, Cryengine or even this Unreal thingy.
Build was a historical milestone for the gaming industry, but this was at least 20 years ago.
Sure, Ion Maiden recaptured some of it, with many improvements of this engine. But there are natural limits to Build.

Love your work manship, but ... just enjoy your work. I did. :o

View PostMark, on 11 October 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

one common complaint was the NPCs not acting scared during the invasion.

Well, it suits Duke 3D tone quite well, I mean, we all remember hookers on the streets and strippers not minding aliens (and Duke 3D wasn't the only game with this kind of NPCs in the series). This is also what I meant by saying that the people are not familiar with Duke 3D.

View PostMark, on 11 October 2019 - 04:15 PM, said:

Judging from the number of game reviews he has on YT he's not a noob.

Or maybe if the guy played old games he simply memorized them. There are a lot of people that can't play video games for shit, even if they're good at some of them, I posted Blood vid by Mike not long ago, the situation was the same. I play video games and I had no stupid problems with the map, there was no confusion at all.

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 11 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

User is offline   JohnBlade 

I know I'm late to the party but I wanted to say thank you to everyone who put together this release - I found about it only just now in my thread "Your favorite Duke Nukem 3D conversions and clones?..." where Hank recommended it...

Well done! So sad it was so short even when I added the Red Light district posted separately :)

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options