Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked

User is offline   Mark 

View PostForge, on 28 August 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

the instructions say to drop my duke3d.grp file into the directory with it - so what's the included duke3d.grp file for?

Oops. That was my goof. After putting together the final version for upload I wanted to do one last test for errors in the log file. After the test I deleted all the other un-needed files including the .grp Then I remembered another last second thing I wanted to test for. When I was done I deleted all the extra files again but forgot about the grp that time. Luckily only 2 or 3 DL's went out before we fixed it.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Interesting take on the map.
I don't have the best rig, but I only experienced bad lag two or three times, and not at any point where I was in any kind of immediate danger, so it was no issue.

Some of the models and art are neat, some not so much. Personal taste I suppose.

Some of the sounds were off, or too long (e,g, the bums at the beginning rambled on far too long and overlapped other sounds, using the phone was weird if the player decides to walk away in the middle of the running fridge joke).

Doors opened too slow.

Some walls were blocking when they shouldn't be, or not blocking when they should be.

mini-battlelord moves too slow & gets stuck too easy - degrades the fight.

Liked the extended ending from the original map & the additional detailing throughout.

Scripted sequences were pretty cool.

Funny in-jokes.

User is offline   Mark 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 28 August 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Could someone upload a walkthrough? I really want to play it, but neither I, nor my brother, have a computer capable of running it... and together we have four desktops, and two laptops... All of them suck...

You can probably play in Polymost but without the lighting and a couple of TROR locations you won't get the full thrill and maybe a glitch or 2. But at least you can run it to see what your missing. :)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Thanks for the feedback. Which ones didn't you like? We didn't remake everything as we only had a small team.

There is a bug in the latest version of EDuke32 with doors. It should be fixed soon. Hendricks has very kindly fixed some visual glitches in Polymer, so we decided to take advantage of that and release.

User is offline   Mark 

Forge, what difficulty did you play in? My weakness is making gameplay balance. I have more enemies and ammo appear for the various difficulty settings. Something I haven't tried before. If you think the miniBL was clumsy in that area you should have seen the full sized one. I slowed down doors because some testers were getting squashed and killed by them opening so fast. I also worried about the ambient and NPC sounds getting cluttered but I just did what I could and crossed my fingers for luck.

BTW, it didn't get edited into the first post yet but if you are having some frame rate issues with the map there is a "light hack" courtesy of Mblackwell that when enabled will kill some of the Polymer lights not in the vicinity of the player. You can turn it on and off with the backspace key. It was used to good effect in Decay and has helped me in this mod too. The tradeoff is some minor light flickering but its worth it if it allows you to play at all.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

User is offline   Hank 

my first 30 second impression

Street folks
Posted Image
moving cars
Posted Image

A lot of work went into this one. Fucking impressive. Hopefully I can play the rest in the next few days. :)

User is offline   Forge 

i don't remember which models off the top of my head - i think a couple of the women looked a bit creepy/weird, and the end sequence when Duke is standing there talking and waving around that ridiculously large golden eagle pistol - it makes him look like a 8 inch tall action figure holding the gun for a 12 inch tall action figure.

The doors are too slow for me - I almost walked away from the room with the yellow key card because I thought it was a fake door. I just happened to spin around & look back before I dropped off the roof - so it was luck that I noticed the door had actually opened.

I think it was the default difficulty level - 2nd or 3rd. (not the hardest or easiest) - the balance was just fine. Good distro of ammo for each weapon, & a fair amount of evenly spaced out healing items. Enemy placement was logical. (matching the original & the additions)

The framerate lagged bad when I dropped down the ventilation chute at the beginning, when I entered the arcade, & when I hit the switch that opened up the section which released the enforcers - right before the mini-battlelord fight.
The last being the worst of it - an enforcer got a couple rounds into me before I recovered, but I was over 100 health so it didn't matter that much.
my comp only has an old 650ti, so these things are pretty much expected on my part.

View PostHank, on 28 August 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

A lot of work went into this one. Fucking impressive. Hopefully I can play the rest in the next few days. :)

agree - the map has a lot of depth, detail, & ambiance.

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I noticed too some lag at those places. But starting with the second run of the game some of those lags get less because your texture cache kicks in maybe? That one door was purposely made that slow to go along with the ambience of the room with the keycard it leads to.

It also stems from the eduke door problem mentioned earlier. What happens is if you are right up against a door when you press open, it won't open until you back away. Even if the door is opening away from you.Its a known problem to the devs. It just didn't get fixed in time for release.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   Loke 

How do you open that gate that leads to the teleporter prior to the battlelord fight? I had to noclip through it since I couldn't figure it out (I'll do a proper playthrough later).

I liked that Bombshell tease in that hidden room too. There's actually a lot of cool and funny signs and posters all over the place which you don't often see in user maps. I also find it funny how the civilians just stand around without a care in the world while aliens roam the place. :)

User is offline   Mark 

Yeah, those are brave people not letting a little alien invasion upset their lifestyle. :)

I don't know how to use the spoiler button. I'll PM the reply for your transport question....PM has been sent.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMark., on 28 August 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

I noticed too some lag at those places. But starting with the second run of the game some of those lags get less because your texture cache kicks in maybe?

^this

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

For my own personal curiosity, can those playing it tell me what their framerates were like (with some numbers too)?

User is offline   Mark 

With the light hack on I get 30fps standing in front of the center barrel by the bridge looking down the street. By the center barrel in front of the collapsed tunnel looking down the street towards the bridge I get 20. At the map start and after the duke car crashes it settles to 48-50. Inside I took a bunch of readings but I don't have the list handy. But they are all much faster.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

User is offline   Forge 

the majority of the time my framerate was 42 to 59.
It could dip as low as 3 in certain spots.

the female model that looks weird is the one on the dancing pole in the yellow locked room - her head & neck isn't the same color as the rest of her body.

and I couldn't find a jetpak - does this level have one hidden somewhere?

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 August 2017 - 06:54 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The BL originally spawned a jetpack at death to complete the ending sequence but because of a bug it got changed. There is no jetpack in the level. Everywhere you need to go can be done without it.

User is offline   Forge 

'k
just wondering 'cause I found 5 out of 5 secrets & no jetpak.

couldn't figure out how to get to the old secret spot that opens up when the player uses the cash register in the movie theatre lobby snack bar.
I seen that it still opened - just couldn't figure out how to get to it.

Just played through it. It took me 30 minutes, and I still missed two secrets... Top notch work. This was better than DNF, I know that's not hard to do, but think of it, one usermap is better than an entire professional game. The additions were nice, especially the women. All of the models are great, they have nice detail... especially the tits... just saying. :) I would love to see you guys take on the rest of the game, if possible. If I were to suggest a next map, Red Light District. I would love to see what you guys could do with that one... that being said, this is perfect. Great work. :)

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Interesting. I get 60-64fps in the same spot Mark, and in the rest of the map I get between 100-143fps with some heavier areas being 60-70 (closer to 70-80, but I'm notching it down for esp bad spots) and the rare dip to 50fps. Around that spot you mentioned was pretty much the worst case though.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMblackwell, on 28 August 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

Interesting. I get 60-64fps in the same spot Mark, and in the rest of the map I get between 100-143fps with some heavier areas being 60-70 (closer to 70-80, but I'm notching it down for esp bad spots) and the rare dip to 50fps. Around that spot you mentioned was pretty much the worst case though.

well I can uncap the framerate in the menu & set the vsync to off in the Nvidia control panel and get near 1550 fps max (it still dips to around, or just below 30 in a couple places), but it is only a 650ti, so doing that will just create other problems (probably screen tearing)

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Hey Forge. You said you found 5 out of 5 secrets. According to the end of level stats screen there are 10 secrets. :)
That cash register secret works the same as the original. Maybe a smaller sector so you have to be more precise when pressing the use button to go up/down.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 28 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMark., on 28 August 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

Hey Forge. You said you found 5 out of 5 secrets. According to the end of level stats screen there are 10 secrets. :)

I misread it. my fault.

View PostMark., on 28 August 2017 - 09:09 PM, said:

That cash register secret works the same as the original. Maybe a smaller sector so you have to be more precise when pressing the use button to go up/down.

???

I don't know what you mean by that.
All I'm saying is I haven't figured out how to get up to the opening without a jetpak - except by maybe jumping off an enemy's head.

Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

This post has been edited by Forge: 28 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

View PostForge, on 28 August 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

I misread it. my fault.

???

I don't know what you mean by that.
All I'm saying is I haven't figured out how to get up to the opening without a jetpak - except by maybe jumping off an enemy's head.

Attachment duke0000.jpg

Took me a while to get that one, but I've know of it for years. Look down at the floor directly in front of the opening, and press the use button. there's a hidden elevator.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostNever Forgotten, on 28 August 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

Took me a while to get that one, but I've know of it for years. Look down at the floor directly in front of the opening, and press the use button. there's a hidden elevator.

well fu.
I've been banging my head on that poster, & that wasn't the right spot.

feeling pretty stupider than usual

This post has been edited by Forge: 29 August 2017 - 05:21 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 29 August 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

well fu.
I've been banging my head on that poster, & that wasn't the right spot.

feeling pretty stupider than usual

After all these years Forge that is priceless !!! =)

User is offline   Forge 

had a bad air-head day all around.

may my ineptitude encourage others to out-play me in every aspect in this map.

User is offline   Mark 

I think he's burned out after all the play testing he's done for other projects in the last few months. :)

User is offline   max_nukem 

Amazing Work Guys! You are the Best!

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Guys great work with this project. But something has been bothering me and with dukeplus project. Why am i not being giving credit for the prop models :) . Because I know they arent officialy mine but i did take allot of effort the convert them to duke. Allot of props are being taking from unreleased projects of mine. Same goes for the Dukeplus project. And the same goes to the textures that have been used. Thank you!

User is offline   Mark 

Make a list of your stuff you found in HHR and PM it to me.

User is offline   Mark 

Just as a quick side project by myself, I am going to spend a few afternoons to see how much I can do with modding the Red Light District map using existing HHR assets only. It won't be as extensive as the HH map but for some reason I can't take a break after releasing our project. We'll see what I can do by the weekend. I'll post it here on duke4 whether its done or not. I can't spend a lot of time on it. Too many other projects backed up.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options