Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem - Duke4.net Forums

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem

View PostTnT, on 19 January 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

Forgive the triple post, one more thing:

With the climate of American culture today, I honestly think a healthy dose of Nostalgia would be mighty good for those who cease to know what is good for them. Strong healthy confident white males aren't being represented in todays media and many outlets actually seem to go out of their way to even Emasculate them by presenting them as a bunch of weak Emo-nerds, inferior to another race of men who desire to eliminate us and steal our woman (mostly Blonde woman).

BTW, have you watched MTV lately? It's like the greasy record executives let out all the countries prisoners and handed them all record contracts.

Who the hell made the bums and crooks kings?

...MAN, we're all swimming in a sea of Vapidity!

:)

This is why Duke needs to make a comeback in his full Duke 3D style. I don't want the game to be in your face with political crap, but just ignore the SJW's and the feminazis, and make Duke a badass male who loves his babes.

View PostTnT, on 19 January 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

Agreed.
And that is why Duke needs to be older and wiser, about 45 and not so juvenile of a personality. More like Snake Plissken and less like... Damn, what rhymes with Plissken??? :dukecigar:

I agree Duke should be older, but keep him within an age range where sequels won't make him seem like Roger Moore from A View to a Kill... Duke needs to last for a while, and I'm not a fan of never aging characters. I think 35 might be better, maybe even 30, just give him the personality of older Duke. Remember, in Duke 3D Duke was only 28 (based on the birthdate I found April 9, 1967, and the game was released in January of '96) So it's all right to have him a bit younger, as long as his personality isn't like that of an average 29 year old, and more like he was in the 90's.

User is offline   pacman 

duke was #1 for me

doom was awesome when it came to killing a lot of enemies at once, with the super shotgun specially

quake was awesome with the grenale launcher, never seen before, i was addicted to seeing the grenades bounce

but duke was so awesome, the build engine had a special feel, even if it had older graphics than quake i felt more immersed in duke, the textures were perfect and it was the only good game to do city based levels right, i had the most fun making maps on it too, unfortunately i have no more free time anymore to make maps. i wish i could get pay to make maps, but having that has a job is impossible.

This post has been edited by pacman: 21 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

The writer of Spec Ops: The Line, Walt Williams, says he pitched a Duke Nukem game a few years ago but it wasn't picked up.

I once pitched a Duke Nukem game that took place after DN Forever. Duke was a fat, sexist, washed-up homeless guy who couldn't understand why the world had moved beyond him.

When the earth is threatened by a splinter group of extremist Pig Cops who call themselves the PC Master Race, a secret gov organization puts Duke back in action b/c Duke he's the only person on earth whose worldview is stunted enough to understand the PCMR's tactics.

But, no one is able to work with Duke, because he's just a toxic piece of shit. So first, they have to train him to be an actual human being by sending him on missions with characters based on other, more popular franchises.

In the end, Duke makes the transition from toxic cultural fossil to coarse idiot who is actively trying to be a better person, even if he does it in a stumbling, backwards way. And then he kicks the shit out of the PC Master Race.

It was called Duke Nukem: Dude, Interrupted.

The game would have included a secondary mechanic that let you take control of Enforcer, Duke's pet eagle. Except it's not actually an eagle; it's a diseased pigeon wearing an eagle costume that Duke made out of trash and fast food wrappers.

Dude, Interrupted would have been my follow-up to Spec Ops: The Line. Instead, I didn't write another game for 5 years. Which, all things considered, is probably fair.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 28 January 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Guess he didn't know the Duke we came to know. He's one of the casualties of DNF.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What a virtue signalling tool.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 28 January 2018 - 03:30 PM

Paraphrasing Randy Pitchford on the Nerdvana Live show but he had this to say on the status of a new Duke game: "I can see a good game. The problem now is finding the financing." Sounds like he has a vision or is close it for a new game.

View Posthismasterplan, on 28 January 2018 - 04:04 PM, said:

Paraphrasing Randy Pitchford on the Nerdvana Live show but he had this to say on the status of a new Duke game: "I can see a good game. The problem now is finding the financing." Sounds like he has a vision or is close it for a new game.

Yeah, Randy Pitchford also said that the most important thing for a new Duke is to approach it from gameplay first rather than story, and like 3D, bring something new to shooters that we haven't seen before, which I think is essential.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 28 January 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

What a virtue signalling tool.

What about a reboot with Duke as a hipster?
Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 29 January 2018 - 12:36 AM, said:

What about a reboot with Duke as a hipster?

Posted Image

This is the sort of thing you read that makes you want to sock the author in the mouth. What a jackass. Reminds me of this comic, except it's a full grown man watching an old action movie. There's an air of smug, self appointed, self aggrandizing, superiority that is totally unearned in these attempts at taking down characters like Duke. Really drives me up the wall.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Apparently there's a lot of venom around Duke lately. By the way Duke3d turned 22 yrs old :dukecigar:

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 29 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

This world is full of idiots. I'm convinced those people never understood or just never played Duke. "We've moved on, thankfully." They're so pumped with PC rhetoric and soy.

Not sure why people expect Duke to be funny but I guess that started when DNF was released. I never laughed growing up playing except at the surprises such as the toilet aliens. Things were unexpected. All this negativity makes me want to play the game more. My political and social views are at odds with most members here but the thing is Duke doesn't seem like a threat to the "SJW" (using that to cater to a game forum) movements as many people accuse him of being. Duke seems to be a reflection of today's society just as much as GTA or Deadpool: Sarcasm, violence, fun, sex. I think so many people hate him because they feel guilty and ashamed for liking the game at some point.

I do think more should be added to Duke as a character. If there is less sex in the next game, I don't think it will be a noticeable loss. That is if we must appease the sensitive crowd. Duke 64 was my first experience and I stuck with it.

That's why he's out of a job: he has no idea what fun is. He probably never even played a video game.

View PostAltered Reality, on 29 January 2018 - 06:40 PM, said:

That's why he's out of a job: he has no idea what fun is. He probably never even played a video game.

Oh, he's working, it's just his recent effort was less than spectacular. I think he's the wrong choice for a property like Duke Nukem, but I maintain that Spec Ops: The Line was a very unique 3rd person shooter, and the reason it became a cult hit is directly linked to the creative storytelling strategies Williams used.

Oh, wow. Two games, two turds. I stand by my statement: he has no idea what fun is.

View PostAltered Reality, on 29 January 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

Oh, wow. Two games, two turds. I stand by my statement: he has no idea what fun is.

He's a games writer, not a gameplay programmer or designer. How does one quantify 'fun'? It's such a subjective measurement that it's largely meaningless since it's used to convey a number of things, ranging from operant conditioning, to sensory stimulation, to emotional response.

User is offline   X-Vector 

It's a bit disconcerning everyone in this thread so far has taken those Twitter comments at face value.
To me, it seems like Williams is just taking the mick out of the gullible.
I mean - "Duke Nukem: Dude, Interrupted", "extremist Pig Cops that call themselves the PC Master Race", "a diseased pigeon wearing an eagle costume that Duke made out of trash and fast food wrappers"?

Even if it is meant seriously, I'd say it's not that much worse than some of the stuff Duke had to put up with in in DNF and definitely a more humourous proposition to boot.

View PostX-Vector, on 30 January 2018 - 01:00 AM, said:

It's a bit disconcerning everyone in this thread so far has taken those Twitter comments at face value.

If we are supposed to not take that comment at face value, then we are also supposed to not take the games he actually wrote the plot for at face value - which is a nonsense because they exist, and they promote the same agenda.
Thus, we can only conclude that his goal in writing those games was not to let gamers have fun, but to promote his own self-hating, sexist, misandrist agenda.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 30 January 2018 - 08:00 AM

BTW, if someone wants to retcon the events of DNF, there's a much simpler method that does not expose anyone as a feminazi penis-hating male in denial.
The narrator in the reveal trailer and Doctor Proton have the same voice. This explains why Duke in DNF was a douchy idiot, while Doctor Proton was intelligent, competent and dangerous: because, when we play DNF, we are actually listening to Doctor Proton narrating his own version of what happened, smearing Duke's reputation and making himself look like the only person with a brain.

• The Sarien Encounter

There's a certain strange appeal to characterising Dr. Proton as Duke's biggest fan but also someone who completely doesn't get him and paints him in a bad light because it's the way he wants to be and wants/thinks Duke to be.

User is offline   NNC 

Now, after a year or so, what's the most important conclusion of the community's live meeting with Randy?

User is offline   Mark 

That it was boring because of Randy hogging the conversation and how easy it is for "important" things to become yesterday's news.

Nothing else really comes to mind. Maybe thats the point you are making? :(

This post has been edited by Mark.: 13 August 2018 - 06:07 AM

User is offline   Hank 

^

Posted Image

... from the archive of 3D Realms. Made 17 or so years ago, to tease 3D Realms. Would need some changes to tease Gearbox, but, they ain't here. :(

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Just replace it with a skull with Raybans.

User is offline   Outtagum 

Douk Poop'em

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNancsi, on 13 August 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

Now, after a year or so, what's the most important conclusion of the community's live meeting with Randy?

Randy is true to his word and still won't spend $ to make a AAA Duke game, or let anyone else use his i.p. and make it look good?

This post has been edited by Forge: 14 August 2018 - 08:17 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 13 August 2018 - 08:03 PM, said:

Just replace it with a skull with Raybans.

The catch is DNF did come out, and I have obviously no new cover, from this non existing game, to play around with.

How's this?
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 August 2018 - 11:53 PM

User is offline   NNC 

View PostMark., on 13 August 2018 - 06:06 AM, said:

That it was boring because of Randy hogging the conversation and how easy it is for "important" things to become yesterday's news.

Nothing else really comes to mind. Maybe thats the point you are making? :(

Yes. And honestly Randy didn't deserve my upvote for his opening post.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostNancsi, on 15 August 2018 - 12:09 AM, said:

Yes. And honestly Randy didn't deserve my upvote for his opening post.

Sadly I cannot take my upvote back. :unsure:

Randy, Randy never changes. :(

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 15 August 2018 - 03:41 AM

Share this topic:

• 20 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options