Duke4.net Forums: SD_Duke Lite v1.1 - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SD_Duke Lite v1.1  "Thanks to Deus Ex"

User is offline   PimpUigi 

Goal 3 has been accomplished.
One down, four more to go.

I know I'm not the only one who still uses SD_Duke, but I know I'm one of the few...
I'm pretty sure the reason is because it isn't updated anymore, and because it's mostly been replaced by DukePlus.

While DukePlus does do a great, nice many things, mostly all better than SD_Duke does...it just feels so overwhelming to me.
I like SD_Duke, how it's a "set it, and forget it," small little (features wise) add on.

That said, I think since DukePlus has pretty much replaced it, but I think SD_Duke still has a place in this community.
I think it just needs some tweaking to make that place more defined.

Goals of SD_Duke Lite

1. Enhance current gore/jib method with certain things from DukePlus gore/jib method.
Entails more blood, less meat, and jib stay of limbs, spines, eyeballs, adding the pig cop jib, etc.
Keep SD_Duke pain state skins.

2. Ice jibs + Ice jib stay

3. Remove SD_Duke fire (HRP's is better)

4. Remove SD_Duke smoke/dust/decal falling debris (not complete, and Duke 3D's smoke was cleaner/better)

5. Remove decals, and decal sound effects

I wish I knew enough about Duke script to change these things myself, and put out a new SD_Duke Lite.
As such, it's being worked on by anyone who volunteers to do so.

SD_Duke Lite v1.1 (5.24 MB)
Mirror 1: http://www.turboupload.com/syv8lux1urr1/SD...e_v1.1.zip.html
Mirror 2: http://www.sendspace.com/file/e3vcut
Mirror 3: http://www.mediafire...php?mjziwnvykdw
Mirror 4: http://file2upload.n...e_v1.1.zip.html

For those who don't have it, here's the latest SD_Duke (April 1st 2008)
http://www.turboupload.com/wh991245ypmo/SD...-knows.zip.html

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 30 May 2009 - 01:00 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPimpUigi, on May 13 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

Adding the DukePlus limbs/spines/eyeballs of the blown up enemies (what SD_Duke is really missing as a gore pack, some of the SD gore models are better than DP's, but SD is certainly missing out on the ones I listed)

Those are just the jib models in the HRP that replace the standard jib tiles. They have nothing to do with DP per se. The reason you think of them as being DP models is because I coded them to stay on the ground, whereas in vanilla Duke they disappear right away.

Also, you forgot about the pigcop jib models. Now that is something that is currently only in DP (they were originally developed for a different gore mod).

View PostPimpUigi, on May 13 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

Removing the SD_Duke fire, smoke, decals, and decal sound effects completely (since they're all outdated, or not needed, or included in the HRP already)
would more define SD_Duke as a small add on, that basically only adds gore, and brass stay, leaving the rest of the game unchanged.

Fire, yes, but why remove the rest? The HRP does not have the rest of that stuff.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 13 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

Those are just the jib models in the HRP that replace the standard jib tiles. They have nothing to do with DP per se. The reason you think of them as being DP models is because I coded them to stay on the ground, whereas in vanilla Duke they disappear right away.

Also, you forgot about the pigcop jib models. Now that is something that is currently only in DP (they were originally developed for a different gore mod).

Hey now, that explains why I thought I saw the limbs flying through the air, and why I could never find them afterwords.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 13 2009, 11:17 PM, said:

Fire, yes, but why remove the rest? The HRP does not have the rest of that stuff.

Well, your mod does it better, and more complete.
The smoke is terrible for instance, normal Duke smoke is much better.
And there's only decal sound effects for very few things, might as well not be in the mod at all.
Get DukePlus if you want great decal effects like that.

SD was like, trying to do a tiny bit of everything.
Part of why it got abandoned IMHO

I think SD needs a more defined role as a pain state, jib and brass stay mod.
It did those two jobs perfectly.

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 24 May 2009 - 04:52 AM

User is offline   Chip 

Can I just say - TerminX is going to run you over with a van >_<

Animated avatars.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

It should say BMW. :P

User is offline   Mateos 

Hum why not add a compatibility, if it will be update, to make SD_Duke runs under low/middle/high HRP quality without graphic problems ?

View PostPimpUigi, on May 14 2009, 03:33 AM, said:

I know I'm not the only one who still uses SD_Duke, but I know I'm one of the few...
I'm pretty sure the reason is because it isn't updated anymore, and because it's mostly been replaced by DukePlus.

While DukePlus does do a great, nice many things, mostly all better than SD_Duke does...it just feels so overwhelming to me.
I like SD_Duke, how it's a "set it, and forget it," small little (features wise) add on.

That said, I think since DukePlus has pretty much replaced it, but I think SD_Duke still has a place in this community.
I think it just needs some tweaking to make that place more defined.

I think
Adding the DukePlus limbs/spines/eyeballs of the blown up enemies (what SD_Duke is really missing as a gore pack, some of the SD gore models are better than DP's, but SD is certainly missing out on the ones I listed)
and
Removing the SD_Duke fire, smoke, decals, and decal sound effects completely (since they're all outdated, or not needed, or included in the HRP already)
would more define SD_Duke as a small add on, that basically only adds gore, and brass stay, leaving the rest of the game unchanged.

I wish I knew enough about Duke script to change these things myself, and put out a new SD_Duke Lite.

I think and feel quite the same.

View PostMateos, on May 15 2009, 09:05 AM, said:

Hum why not add a compatibility, if it will be update, to make SD_Duke runs under low/middle/high HRP quality without graphic problems ?

Hmm...I didn't know it had that problem.
I only run my HRP in high quality (with no loading or compression)
That's definitely a reason we should update it then.

It'd be cool if we could get a volunteer who knows has some good insight.
Maybe someone who has Greater Brainwork...doubt it'll happen though. : (

Of course I have the latest SD_Duke if anyone needs it...

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 16 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   supergoofy 

I thought that this problem will be fixed in the next eduke32 release.

Damn, posted in the wrong thread...

This post has been edited by BrOiler1985: 18 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

Updated first post to be more constructive.

User is offline   Spiker 

SD-Duke will die out sooner or later if like it or not. The only people who could still work on it are now involved in other projects, besides not many people care and prefer to use DP which offers much more :) But I know this won't convince you.

Yes but Duke Plus is also more heavy. Personally I would like a lite weight mod that will enhance duke3d experience without being heavy. Although, if you disable all advanced features of DukePlus and use classic defaults, then it becomes liter and you can run it easily.

But you can never disable all the features in DP either.

Yes DP has more features, yes DP does certain SD features better (but I believe DP is missing pain states) but yes, I'd rather just run vanilla Duke.

SD_Duke was awesome with just pain states, brass, and jibs.
The mod should have simply stuck to that hardcore, and updated it to be better and better.

It's not too late.

Hell, SD_Lite's first version could just be 3, 4, and 5.
That'd be hopefully simple, since I think it'd just be the removal of code????

Then the next version could start working on 1 and 2
We don't need jibs on fire like DP has, so them just staying is good enough.

User is offline   deus-ex 

SD_Duke v1.2.5 (05-28-2009) by deus-ex

What's New:
  • removed fire definition/textures to enable the official HRP fire
  • removed unused sound and image files
  • updated/rewrote sd_duke readme.txt

SD_Duke v1.25: download (1.55 MB)

Enjoy yourself, all. :)

User is offline   Spiker 

OMG the best update ever: removed, removed :) Apparently you are representatives of the reversed evolution theory and you try to apply it to all things in your life.

I like to always have alternatives.

thanks deus-ex

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 28 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostSpiker, on May 28 2009, 10:59 AM, said:

OMG the best update ever: removed, removed :) Apparently you are representatives of the reversed evolution theory and you try to apply it to all things in your life.

Why the trolling? He removed stuff that was unnecessary (because it is now part of the HRP anyway) to reduce the file size. There is nothing wrong with that. At least that's what it sounds like he did...

Deus, you made a pretty good update...but you've removed all the pain skins.

They were actually used.
So you kind of broke that feature...but otherwise, I'm pretty happy we're making progress.

I also think Deus changed an older version, because when I put the pain skins back in, they still did not work.

http://www.turboupload.com/wh991245ypmo/SD...-knows.zip.html
Here is what was the latest release of SD_Duke

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 28 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I basically stopped offering SD_Duke on my site because I was regularly getting reports of always the same problems. Weird sprites showed up instead of gibs and so on. The solutions however weren't always the same, so I basically gave up on it. If you come up with a working solution, that's fine for me. Personally, I prefer playing without the mod since it slowed down gameplay and didn't meet my taste.

User is offline   deus-ex 

Pimp,

View PostPimpUigi, on May 28 2009, 11:41 PM, said:

Deus, you made a pretty good update...but you've removed all the pain skins.
I also think Deus changed an older version, because when I put the pain skins back in, they still did not work.

Actually the pain skins weren't removed by me but AFAIK by Nightfright, who hosted this modified version of the SD_Duke mod v1.24a for a short while until it got removed completely from his download site for reasons he already explained. So to that regard my version is actually newer than the one you provided.

Simply copying back the pain skins into the package as you tried doesn't work because the definitions got removed too back then. I now added back all necessary content so the pain skins are working again. Note that there are only pain skins available for a few monsters: Trooper, Pigcop, Enforcer, Octabrain and Commander. Pain skins for blue and grey Troopers and all but blue Pigcops are unavailable.

SD_Duke v1.2.6 (05-29-2009) by deus-ex

What's New:
  • readded painskins

SD_Duke v1.26: download (5.23 MB)

Have fun, all. :)

I noticed the iced red stripper was also removed.
I put her, and her code back in.

Thus we have the first version of SD_Duke Lite
Thanks Deus Ex

: )

@PimpUigi, why 2 different packages?
SD_Duke Lite v1.0
SD_Duke v1.2.6

Better contact deus-ex and form a team that will release one pack only.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 29 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

I added the frozen red stripper back in.

When I was freezing the red stripper with SD 1.26 it would turn into a blue stripper dancing (not looking frozen)

View PostPimpUigi, on May 29 2009, 08:12 AM, said:

I added the frozen red stripper back in.

When I was freezing the red stripper with SD 1.26 it would turn into a blue stripper dancing (not looking frozen)

Yes I noticed that. But why different versions and different names?

Now deus-ex will come with a new version SD_Duke v1.2.7
Then you will release SD_Duke Lite v1.1
And so on....

And the confusion will continue. Confusion not for me, but for many other users that don't know what's going on.

By the way, here is a mirror download for SD_Duke Lite v1.0 :
http://www.mediafire...php?0umkwjdjlv5

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 29 May 2009 - 08:21 AM

Oh yea, I will mention that to him then.

If he actually plans on continuing to work with it.
He did a great job with this.

Thanks for the mirror.

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 29 May 2009 - 09:09 AM

Ok then :)

Here are 2 more mirrors for SD_Duke Lite v1.0 :
http://file2upload.n...e_Lite.zip.html
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oauvbp

User is offline   Moggimus 

What the hell does SD mean anyway?

super duper ?

:) :D :D :( :D :D B) :D

SanDisk, because Sansa developed the mod.

No, not really.
I made that up.

This post has been edited by PimpUigi: 29 May 2009 - 03:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options