• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour

User is offline   MetHy 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 31 August 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

What if Randy was the level designer? He was listed as doing map work on The Birth after all...

I don't think he'd diminish himself to do the work of his petty employees.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I want to see an episode of maps from him. I want to see what he is actually capable of.

User is offline   king karl 

View PostTerminX, on 27 August 2016 - 02:55 PM, said:

I gave them some limited beta stuff to use for this but I don't know where they went with it.

The maps are clearly the best part of what new content there is.

BTW, last I saw their episode and port you could still use the software renderer. All the levels have sector shading and lights compatible with Polymer parameters as far as I know.

I do think there are some reasons for hardcore Duke3d fans to pick this up, though I would probably violate some agreement or another by saying what those reasons are just yet. There is definitely one aspect to the new episode that anyone posting in this thread has yet to even come close to touching on.

is it the ability to upload pictures of girls from out phones onto the faces of the in game strippers? cuz i suggested that on the gearbox forums and was immediately blocked =p

User is offline   deuxsonic 

LOL

View Postking karl, on 31 August 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

is it the ability to upload pictures of girls from out phones onto the faces of the in game strippers? cuz i suggested that on the gearbox forums and was immediately blocked =p

Wussies.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have read about these news only now, so I couldn't comment on the topic sooner.

My thoughts in a nutshell:
- A new official episode for Duke3D sounds like a great idea, but it would have to be REALLY good if you need to pay for it. The community has come up with amazing content in the last 20 years already. And all of it was for free.
- In general, I haven't seen anything on those screenshots that the community couldn't release as well.
- At least sound quality and music should be remastered. Sound files had been extremely compressed in the original game to save filesize, and MIDI standard is, as it was pointed out earlier here, pretty much dead (and difficult to handle in modern OS like Win10).
- Involvements of former Duke3D level designers and Lee Jackson's return as a composer may be valid arguments to buy a re-release with new content.
- I seriously hope that you will be able to play the whole game with EDuke32 still if you wish to do so.

One way or the other, it's a kinda risky move to re-release a game after 20 years without changing its visual appearance considerably. While hardcore fans will appreciate it, it's not the new Duke title most of us probably had hoped for. This is how to play it save. Now we need to wait for the official announcement and what they want to charge for this. Don't get me wrong, though - it's not like I wouldn't want to play this, but I don't think this will take much time to finish.

And as a reminder: For Quake's anniversary, fans got a new episode for free. Surely, it wasn't too special, didn't offer anything new and wasn't made by id themselves, but it was still a nice gesture and quite appreciated by the community. They will have to go a lot further with the Duke3D anniversary edition, and I hope they will.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 01 September 2016 - 03:33 AM

User is offline   Doomfrost 

Wasn't surprised by this, knew after I saw the countdown page that it would be another Duke3D re-release.
It's all getting really tiring. I need a new Duke or at least a successor.

User is offline   HMNuke93 

Checking Duke's twitter:

Posted Image

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Welcome to the jungle, I guess...

An indicator that there's also a jungle level in the new episode? :D

View PostNightFright, on 01 September 2016 - 04:42 AM, said:

Welcome to the jungle, I guess...

An indicator that there's also a jungle level in the new episode? :D

It's the cover art of the cancelled Duke Nukem game "Endangered Species", but in high resolution :D

This post has been edited by HMNuke93: 01 September 2016 - 04:46 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

The account never tweeted that though, they quoted someone tweeting that image to them https://twitter.com/...154730873524224

The photo was originally cleaned up by Lazy Game Reviews aka Clint aka PhReAkINDEE:
https://twitter.com/...190262933520384

He said the photo originally came from a tweet by Joe, which I can't find, but Joe did say that we've apparently got the name "Endangered Species" wrong for the past 16 years:
https://twitter.com/...184696110424064

Edit - Joe's original tweet was this photo from the old lobby:
https://twitter.com/...187484731187200
https://pbs.twimg.co...AQbc7y.jpg:orig

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 01 September 2016 - 05:14 AM

Interesting find!!!

User is offline   spessu_sb 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 31 August 2016 - 11:17 PM, said:

I want to see an episode of maps from him. I want to see what he is actually capable of.

Completely agree with this.

Would really like to see how he visions Duke and what he think's it's about?

Damn I want to be able upvote comments already..

User is offline   keiron 

All this Duke Nukem World Tour information is worthy of a homepage article. I am baffled that it isn't there yet.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View Postkeiron, on 01 September 2016 - 08:25 AM, said:

All this Duke Nukem World Tour information is worthy of a homepage article. I am baffled that it isn't there yet.

There will be one, it just has to wait until an official announcement by Gearbox for various reasons unless someone who isn't myself or Yatta wants to write it and submit it.

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 31 August 2016 - 11:17 PM, said:

I'd be interested to see that too. While his work on the Plutonium Pak was my least favorite, I've sure played worse maps. I would think he's too busy though, maybe one map at the most.
I'd also still like to find that rumored strip club fanmap that (supposedly) got him hired. :D

This post has been edited by necroslut: 01 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Assuming he didn't use mapster since 1997, that would be a lot to ask for from him.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 01 September 2016 - 10:28 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I really don't see why Endangered Species was canceled. Vivisector is a really good game.

View Postashura252, on 28 August 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

Heh, this kind of toxicity is kind of just tiresome though.
Do you really need to shout people down and have 'proof' you were right?
It's like, just a step even further than pessimism.

What's wrong with pessimism? It's quite a handy way to improve your mood. If you figure out in advance as many ways for something to go wrong as you can, and it doesn't go wrong, you'll be genuinely happy because it went better than expected. If it does go wrong, you'll be prepared because you thought of it in advance. If you refine the art of pessimism enough, you'll be happy most of the time, because reality will almost always turn out better than your expectation.

Let me tell you a personal anecdote: the day of my final high school exam, everyone around me was nervous, twitchy and scared. On the other hand, I was absolutely calm and relaxed. When a girl asked me how I could be so calm, I told her: "I studied as hard as I could, but I already know it won't be enough and I won't pass, so what should I be scared of?"
I passed.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 01 September 2016 - 12:35 PM

View PostNightFright, on 01 September 2016 - 02:45 AM, said:

- At least sound quality and music should be remastered. Sound files had been extremely compressed in the original game to save filesize, and MIDI standard is, as it was pointed out earlier here, pretty much dead (and difficult to handle in modern OS like Win10).

Hell, at least have Jon hired to re-record Duke lines. That alone would be worth the price of admission IMO. I bet the re-release is gonna cost around $20.

This post has been edited by December Man: 01 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

User is offline   ashura252 

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 September 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

What's wrong with pessimism? It's quite a handy way to improve your mood. If you figure out in advance as many ways for something to go wrong as you can, and it doesn't go wrong, you'll be genuinely happy because it went better than expected. If it does go wrong, you'll be prepared because you thought of it in advance. If you refine the art of pessimism enough, you'll be happy most of the time, because reality will almost always turn out better than your expectation.

Let me tell you a personal anecdote: the day of my final high school exam, everyone around me was nervous, twitchy and scared. On the other hand, I was absolutely calm and relaxed. When a girl asked me how I could be so calm, I told her: "I studied as hard as I could, but I already know it won't be enough and I won't pass, so what should I be scared of?"
I passed.

I don't want to derail this topic too much, but..
I think pessimism is fine. I'm incredibly pessimistic. I have the exact same attitude you had for that exam with everything I do.
Of course you can also be panicked because you think you're about to fail.
I guess what I have issue with is being pessimistic just for the sake of having some personal satisfaction in telling others you were correct. :D

The only thing that worries me is that Interceptor's countdown was way cooler than Gearbox so I hope the website behind the countdown shows more effort.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostAltered Reality, on 01 September 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

I don't think that's pessimism... figuring out what could go wrong before it goes wrong is merely realistic assessment of risk. Any good plan for anything is going to have as many various modes of failure accounted for and factored in as possible. :D

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

It's called :
Taking into account.
Careful consideration.
Thorough thought patterns.
Educated assessment.
Accurate hypothesis.
Thinking things through.
Seeing the future.
Fractal imaging.
Foresight.

This post has been edited by Robman: 01 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   ashura252 

View Posthismasterplan, on 01 September 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

The only thing that worries me is that Interceptor's countdown was way cooler than Gearbox so I hope the website behind the countdown shows more effort.

What kind of logic is this? Hahaha
Their track record for actual games is at least as questionable as Gearbox, anyway.

I should have clarified - more the amount of what is to be announced. If a new game were to be teased next to the remaster, I would think the site would be a bit fancier. But now I'm nitpicking, only less than one day!

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Jon St John is heading to PAX, this HAS to be more than World Tour!

User is offline   Doomfrost 

I think the only thing that would sell me on World Tour is if they included all Duke3D content both from PC and every console release into one game. That would be great.

View PostxMobilemux, on 01 September 2016 - 05:54 PM, said:

Jon St John is heading to PAX, this HAS to be more than World Tour!

Hopefully, but this is Duke, so who knows.

Share this topic:

• 114 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options