Duke4.net Forums: Unreal Thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unreal Thread  "A place for discussing Unreal"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I love Unreal I. Such a fantastic alien worldbuilding experience. Just started playing through it again a couple weeks ago. Still so great. I think I'm towards the end now at the mothership after the Nali Castle. The expansion I don't remember much of other than how it ends.

I was so confused when Unreal II came out and it was all about....space marines and going on missions and a crew I cared nothing about. It was just so not the experience I was used to or expecting. I guess by then it was just all about the engine and multiplayer and they slapped some cookie-cutter plot together and called it Unreal II. It's strange because the creators of U2 also did the Unreal expansion which I don't remember being that bad. And to this day no one is allowed to remake Unreal 1 in modern Unreal engines. Ugh. Idiots. Ruined the best part of Unreal for me. I still when I hear the name "Unreal" think of an incredible single player experience, not the multiplayer, not the engine technology, and certainly not space marines.

Unreal II is the one for me that I still have never finished. I'm just so uninterested. The intro was pretty though. But just for showing off engine effects obviously. Also, nothing matches the music of Straylight Productions.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 April 2018 - 07:29 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Unreal II is a strange bird. It abandons pretty much all of the combat rhythms of it's predecessor. Same for the narrative structure which was basically step-for-step and told through environment and text logs. Giving you basically an idiot crew member that your character exposits to.

User is offline   Jblade 

Yeah I kinda liked John Dalton, I like the idea of what they were going for but the execution was just kinda fucked (it didn't help that the characters have zero facial animations)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I heard that many of the issues with Unreal 2 were the result of its rushed development? By the sounds of things it wouldn't have approached the first one anyway, but I expect that if they'd been given a proper development timeline that it would have at least been a reasonable game, perhaps minus the unreal experience.

View PostMicky C, on 25 April 2018 - 10:24 PM, said:

I heard that many of the issues with Unreal 2 were the result of its rushed development? By the sounds of things it wouldn't have approached the first one anyway, but I expect that if they'd been given a proper development timeline that it would have at least been a reasonable game, perhaps minus the unreal experience.

I doubt it. From what I've heard, it's only multiplayer, some other factions/species and levels that got cut along with a few weapons. Even if they got into the game, I don't think it would be any different from the slow gunplay we got.

Part of Unreal's charm to me was that it's like a first-person Metroid where you go spelunking on an alien planet; an experience which is lost when you're planet-hopping for short missions and such.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostPikaCommando, on 26 April 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

I doubt it. From what I've heard, it's only multiplayer, some other factions/species and levels that got cut along with a few weapons. Even if they got into the game, I don't think it would be any different from the slow gunplay we got.

Part of Unreal's charm to me was that it's like a first-person Metroid where you go spelunking on an alien planet; an experience which is lost when you're planet-hopping for short missions and such.

Also not helped when the fundamental core of the game is ruined. Replacing all the strange alien weapons that were predominately projectile based with much more conventional hit scan weapons. I still don't understand how anyone on the dev team thought that was a good idea.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPikaCommando, on 26 April 2018 - 01:41 AM, said:

This is partly why I dislike Metroid Prime 3 and Prime Hunters.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 April 2018 - 06:39 AM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Prime 3 and Prime Hunters were decent games, but yeah, they lost some of that lonely isolation and mystique that comes with exploring a large, singular once-lived-in-but-now-desolate-and-abandoned world.

This post has been edited by Striker: 09 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

I keep hearing that the Bryyo planet in Prime 3 delivers a lot of that, but yeah. It's not Metroid to me without total isolation. I don't want helpful characters (unless they're ancient animatronic statues) or NPCs. I want to be alone with the wildlife and the ancient ruins. Sometimes bad guys are alright with their secret bases or crashed ships, but it does step on the tone a tad.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Echoes did a pretty good job of handling NPCs.

• The Sarien Encounter

Sure it did. I just don't prefer it.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

LGR's released a fantastic 20 year anniversary video:

• The Sarien Encounter

Unreal Gold is free on GOG today! Go grab it.

User is offline   leilei 

Uh..... I drew this.

User is offline   leilei 

(forgot to edit my post in time (ergh time limits) so i'll post again to mention Unreal Gold's free on Steam too)

This post has been edited by leilei: 22 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 May 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

and steam
https://store.steamp...50/Unreal_Gold/

User is offline   Forge 

View Postleilei, on 22 May 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

(forgot to edit my post in time (ergh time limits) so i'll post again to mention Unreal Gold's free on Steam too)

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 May 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

I have the original disk.
are either of these patched?

User is offline   leilei 

226 is the latest official version from both. The oft-recommended "227 patch" is fan made and you know how well that goes.

If there's any "patch" i'd recommend, it's Kentie's DX10 renderer which will work fine with 226.

This post has been edited by leilei: 22 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View Postleilei, on 22 May 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

226 is the latest official version from both.

I was under the assumption that the steam version was distributed patched to 226.
Is the gog version as well?

View Postleilei, on 22 May 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

If there's any "patch" i'd recommend, it's Kentie's DX10 renderer which will work fine with 226.

Nice.
Thanks.

This post has been edited by Forge: 22 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

View Postleilei, on 22 May 2018 - 03:18 PM, said:

Uh..... I drew this.

Hey (wo)man, what did that Nali Wabbit ever do to you?

Also, do you accept Return to Na Pali (particularly the fact that Prisoner 849 is retconned to be male) as canon?

User is offline   leilei 

Farmed out Legend sequels are never canon to anything.

This post has been edited by leilei: 23 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

There are aspects of Return to Na Pali that are better than the standard campaign. But yeah, not as good overall. Don't even get me started on Unreal II...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

User is offline   X-Vector 

Posted Image
Just found out I had to set "UseMultiTexture" to "false", I've been playing with the wrong sky for years now apparently.

• The Sarien Encounter

Aw man...condolences.

User is offline   X-Vector 

http://www.kentie.ne...icle/multipass/

The more you know...

User is offline   Newken 

What's wrong with the 227 patch?

• The Sarien Encounter

Nothing, in my experience. I think the 227 Oldunreal patch is very well done. Don't understand the negativity directed towards it here.

User is offline   Mark 

227 is what I remember using years ago.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 May 2018 - 06:19 AM, said:

Nothing, in my experience. I think the 227 Oldunreal patch is very well done. Don't understand the negativity directed towards it here.

227i fixes the godawful mouse acceleration so that makes it superior to everything else.

User is offline   Avoozl 

The one thing I find odd about Unreal is the 2D backdrop mountains, they seem like something from a N64 game like OoT for an example.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options