• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Unreal Thread  "A place for discussing Unreal"

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 September 2020 - 05:51 AM, said:

I love KHG. Still have the discs (but lost the box sadly). I made a patch years ago that cracks the cd requirement and also converted the music to UMX files so the music works without the disc. I also made a custom music patch with seamless looping. I made edits to every map (not easy with that ancient buggy version of UnrealEd) that changes the music dynamically based on location and new areas you discover.

The reason it changes resolutions is because there are cutscene videos (which I can never get working anymore) which play between some levels and are at a specific resolution.

Yeah, the version I linked in my previous post has all the music and cutscenes working without CD. (Just checked and the music is indeed in UMX, so probably your work). Resolution thing makes sense and I suspected it was something like that.

I love Star Trek in general, but Klingons in particular, lol. My wife and I have been watching all the series starting with TNG (which I loved as a kid) and I always wanted to play KHG, but it honestly never worked on any computer I tried it on. This is the first time I'm playing it. I watched the gmanlives video review where he's kinda trashing it, but I think that guy's a moron. IMO it's more enjoyable than Elite Force for instance and does enough things to separate itself from being a mere Unreal re-skin.

This post has been edited by Cartaphallus: 18 September 2020 - 06:02 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah cool. Yep that's my work. :) Love Star Trek and TNG especially too. Been taking my kids through it. We've finished TNG a while back and are now going through DS9 and Voyager back to back. My whole family are proud Trekkers for years.

I enjoy Elite Force but KHG I do like quite a bit more for Star Trek novelty factor. The level design is a bit more oldschool and open/hub-like compared to other games that were going more linear at the time (like Unreal). I love KHG.

• The Sarien Encounter

Along with the standard patch, I'll give links for the dynamic music patch I engineered as well, for those who are interested or have the game and want music. These music tracks are not simply rips of the CD audio tracks, they loop seamlessly and are triggered based on events in the game and locations you discover in the maps. On the original CD, every music track starts with a lively orchestral Klingon-like piece and then when it fades out an accompanying suspenseful electronic/ambient track starts playing. Every track on the CD has this, so my dynamic music patch separates them into their own tracks to trigger them in their own special circumstances apart from the orchestral tracks. None of these files provide the replacement game DLL for the CD check removal so you'll still need the disc to start the game. I won't provide that.

To make these work you must open the game and go to Advanced Options->Audio and set "UseDigitalMusic" to "True" or nothing will happen. I also set "UseCDMusic" to "False" just in case.

khg_cd-less_patch 255 MB (direct CD audio rips)
khg_umxloop_altpack 254 MB (dynamically-placed seamless looping music)
khg_cd-less_patch (OGG compressed) 39 MB (direct CD audio rips) *Requires Unreal v227 exe
khg_umxloop_altpack (OGG compressed) 45.2 MB (dynamically-placed seamless looping music) *Requires Unreal v227 exe

And here are the tracks themselves in FLAC just because it's good music and deserves to be heard.

KHG CD Rip (FLAC) 156 MB
KHG Seamless Looping Tracks (FLAC) 211 MB

I also provided the OGG compressed UMX versions of each pack, but they'll only work with the v227 Unreal EXE. One Sebastian Kaufel in the past was working on upgrading the classes of KHG to work with Unreal 227 but only got up to the first two levels working properly. And also firing enemies at point blank range will completely miss. Obviously there was some work left to do and he never finished it. I don't understand a thing about how Unreal works and I never had time to delve into it to understand the process of upgrading the classes. But I'll share what he had made already:

Klingons-14052016-1.zip
KHG_Classes.zip
KlingonsPubSrc_20150326.zip

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 September 2020 - 07:49 PM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Another good Unreal engine game and possibly one of the best Star Trek games I have ever played: DS9 The Fallen (2000). Not an FPS, but Third Person action. Same story played with 3 chars (Sisko, Worf, Kira) which all add different aspects and approaches. Also with ingenious music. Unfortunately often forgotten, but absolutely worth playing.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 September 2020 - 02:52 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I own that one too, luckily. Only beat the game with Sisko so far and partway with Kira. Actually, the only one I didn't have the original CD for was the Elite Force games, the most popular one lol.

User is offline   Lunick 

If anyone remembers the DX11 Renderer that was in development for Unreal engine based games, apparently Epic was not happy this existed for Unreal Tournament and asked them to stop making it according to the readme of the latest update https://www.moddb.co...9tf-version-162

NO LONGER SUPPORT FOR UNREAL TOURNAMENT 99 OR ANY OTHER UNREAL TOURNAMENT GAME IN THE FUTURE RELEASES OF THE RENDERER,
AS THE EPIC GAMES COMPANY IS ALLEGEDLY NOT PLEASED WITH SUCH GRAPHICAL UPDATES TO THESE TITLES (EXCLUDING MAPS AND TEXTURES). FOR UT 99 GRAB VERSION 1.6.1. !!

User is offline   Mark 

"FUTURE RELEASES OF THE RENDERER"
Does that mean the current release is OK?

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Played Clive Barker's Undying with the DX11 renderer and it worked, but for whatever reason you can't disable SSR from the options anymore, only by editing the user file. Undying as you might know doesn't support 16:9 aspect ratio natively.

Also be sure to grab this, so your journal doesn't get cropped.

This post has been edited by BattleWalrus: 02 January 2021 - 09:11 PM

• The Truth is in here

It's funny how Epic doesn't want people to update the UT renderer further while they do nothing to bring the franchise back by themselves. IIRC the "community UT" that was in the works for years was stopped quite a while ago and nobody has heard or read anything about a return of any Unreal-related content ever since.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 January 2021 - 01:56 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A new renderer is considered a graphical update to the game? I mean yeah maybe in a way but also no. And it's really weird that it's so specific to UT 99. Why not Unreal Gold? It really seems like that game (or series?) in particular was tied up in some weird binding legal mess for whatever reason. Course, I know that apparently it's also a big no no to remake Unreal Gold in any way. With this news I'm surprised they allowed the driver for that game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 January 2021 - 05:33 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Epic dumped pretty much all game development for anything apart from Fortnite.

• The Truth is in here

If a new renderer is already forbidden as a graphical update, the guy who is doing Unreal Redux (https://unrealredux.com) currently (is he still, actually?) should better stop before the inevitable C&D notice hits him. He even wants/wanted to edit the original maps.

No Unreal Evolution talk? For shame.

Unreal is a highly enjoyable classic FPS with some rough edges. Unreal Evolution seeks to address these and bring a high quality golden age game to the next level. Expect tighter overall design. If you've played my critically-acclaimed 'GMDX' mod for Deus Ex, you know what to expect: Unreal Evolution is intended to enhance the overall experience yet retain the original spirit and concepts: Unreal but better.
Enhances Unreal Singleplayer and the Return to Na Pali Expansion Pack. Multiplayer is not Supported.

Has the shining 10/10 approval of the Duke4Net members JBlade and Mr. Tibbs: https://www.moddb.co...olution/reviews

User is offline   necroslut 

Haha, that DX11 renderer looks like ass...

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options