Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

I doubt anyone would really do anything if you used these; https://www.youtube....BCDB466FCB9C66C

Though I can understand why you'd be weary of doing so.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 08 April 2017 - 04:55 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHigh Treason, on 08 April 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

I doubt anyone would really do anything if you used these; https://www.youtube....BCDB466FCB9C66C

Though I can understand why you'd be weary of doing so.

I'm using several of those already.

One of the challenges with the music in this mod is that it has action music and exploring music depending on what is going on. So tracks need to be purely one or the other -- it's not good to have a single track with both action parts and mellow parts. That's why in early development I used tracks from the Jedi Knight games, which had a similar system. But ultimately I decided it was too risky.

User is offline   supergoofy 

it seems 2.02 is out :(

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

came across this in v2.02 (clean install)

the 'icons' that are to be collected via the speeder run (E6L2) are invisible. (both in polymer and polymost - but at least in polymer they still cast a glow and can be collected easily)

Attached Image: duke0000.png

I started brand new games in polymer and polymost and continued to encounter the same thing repeatedly

save file
(- enclosed in a rar - you'd think a site full of eduke32 developers would allow esv files to be attached)

-removed -

This post has been edited by Forge: 02 May 2017 - 09:29 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I didn't like the way the rebel emblem looked in the title screen, commented it out and forgot that it was also an actor.

I have attached the fixed def file. Oh well, Star Wars day in less than 2 days, it's excuse to release an update.

Attached File(s)

Even resolved the supposed problem with music variety/area atmosphere?
I don't know if those midis (ex-.GDM) in that latest pack were useful, but unless the slight change of tone in the .OGG tracks tricked me they should not SW music used in the mod yet.

You could also use midi version of Rogue One tracks. Soon or later someone will do it and is still the Empire era after all.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 03 May 2017 - 08:36 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Sorry, I just don't have time right now. Too much on my plate. I have updated the download at Mod DB with the fixed def, but that's all I can manage.

I would like to produce a third and final installment of Duke Forces, though, for 2018. The plan is to recruit more help and include a new, original episode. It would start where the last installment left off, with Duke apparently forced to do the bidding of the emperor. The only inspiration that I have for music right now is metal versions of star wars themes, such as this bad-ass cover of the imperial march:

User is offline   Forge 

out of curiosity, what does this perk do?

Attached Image: duke0000.png

The next sith perk I acquired said, "Get A Kill To Revive".
That's already given to the player at the beginning of the game - and can be improved by completing Episode 2 - so I don't know what that perk is supposed to do either.

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

User is offline   Forge 

Also kewl that the light sabre can block the sith's light sabre, but can't block the tusken or dts1 melee attacks.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Fuck.

EDIT: What's happening is the wrong quotes are displaying for those perks; fortunately, it can't affect gameplay. I'll fix it, but, can you tell me when it started happening? Was it the first perk after the shotgun, or was it several perks later?

User is offline   Forge 

The 1st perk in BobaFett was the shotgun. I don't recall the second perk - wasn't paying that much attention, but the next couple of perk messages were off.
I'll restart & check the second perk & edit this post.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 03 May 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

The 1st perk in BobaFett was the shotgun. I don't recall the second perk - wasn't paying that much attention, but the next couple of perk messages were off.
I'll restart & check the second perk & edit this post.

That's ok -- I can investigate a lot faster using cheats and hacks. I'll fix it and do another upload, and I'll include the saber blocking tusken and DTS1.

User is offline   Forge 

possible belay on that perk message issue.
I started a new game and the first four or five perks came up normal. I couldn't reproduce the problem.

I'm guessing it may have happened because I dropped in that updated def for the speeder track icons - then continued my saved game.
kinda dumb on my part. sorry 'bout that.

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 03 May 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

possible belay on that perk message issue.
I started a new game and the first four or five perks came up normal. I couldn't reproduce the problem.

I'm guessing it may have happened because I dropped in that updated def for the speeder track icons - then continued my saved game.
kinda dumb on my part. sorry 'bout that.

Nah I think it was real -- the def would have no way of causing that. I have uploaded a patch already, and as promised it also adds lightsaber blocking for tusken and dts1 melee attacks.

http://www.moddb.com...orces/downloads

I'm pretty sure I know how the bug happened, but it is somewhat random (it would happen in one out of 4 games if I'm right). Too technical to be worth getting into.

User is offline   Forge 

I can post my save game file if it'll help you track down the issue.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks, but it's already fixed in the patch -- I know exactly how it happened now and the safety checks in the patch would definitely fix it.

Also, I was wrong about it being harmless. If that happens, then the player won't get perks. The random number of perk category had a 20% to be initialized to a number outside the defined range of perks, and once that happened it would stay there.

User is offline   Forge 

Seems just a bit inconsistent that a sith can block/deflect both types of rounds from a concussion rifle with their light sabre, but the player can't.

I suppose since they're jedi & Duke isn't, it's an excuse as to why.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 04 May 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Seems just a bit inconsistent that a sith can block/deflect both types of rounds from a concussion rifle with their light sabre, but the player can't.

I suppose since they're jedi & Duke isn't, it's an excuse as to why.

It's really a balance issue. I don't want the sith lords to be too easy, but I only want them to use light saber. I could have given them force choke and lightning, but that would completely change the dynamic and also require giving them new animations. So, it's a compromise. They only get to use the light saber, which severely limits their range, but they are very strong defensively. This encourages the player to use the light saber against them, but doesn't require it -- you can still get them with splash damage or the occasional shot they don't manage to block.

Duke Forces popularity grows, SpicyWaffle recently realized a review in their edgy style.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm glad the mod is getting more popularity, but I couldn't listen to those guys for more than 30 seconds before I got ear cancer.

User is offline   Mark 

I lasted until 1:01 :(

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

There's a part where Duke force chokes an imperial officer who was sitting on a toilet in E1L1, and they added a graphic of Jar-Jar coming out of the officer's butt.

Also, DO NOT under any circumstances do a google image search for "ear cancer" in the hopes of finding a funny graphic. The results will give you eye cancer. And don't google that either.

OMG you typed "butt"! Don't you know that using the keyboard in a way like that could give a fingers cancer!? :(

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 May 2017 - 03:38 PM, said:

It's really a balance issue. I don't want the sith lords to be too easy, but I only want them to use light saber. I could have given them force choke and lightning, but that would completely change the dynamic and also require giving them new animations. So, it's a compromise. They only get to use the light saber, which severely limits their range, but they are very strong defensively. This encourages the player to use the light saber against them, but doesn't require it -- you can still get them with splash damage or the occasional shot they don't manage to block.

I wasn't thinking about changing the sith's abilities - more like changing the player's abilities. - but as you said, it comes down to a balance thing, which is pretty reasonable.

Doesn't make sense for the player to be able to block a sphere of energy with their limited abilities & skills - and if the player can block the concussion beams, that takes away any close range attack the bossk have. The player shouldn't be invincible just because they're holding a light sabre.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After a few years, it's about time for a little update. Thanks to sebabdukeboss20 for making awesome art.

User is offline   Mark 

A few years??? I had to go to the first page to verify. Wow.

User is offline   Forge 

this mod really needs its own episode.
finding a few good mappers with motivation and free time is becoming a rarity.

It's a graphic update only or is contemporary to the new chapter development?

If possible, tell him to make also a complete Dianoga body for underwater frames working, on the original sprites (maybe he did it already, If the hint at bottom right isn't just a joke to fill the screen).

Duke Forces PM channel still the same of the last time?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 20 April 2019 - 09:17 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMark, on 20 April 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

A few years??? I had to go to the first page to verify. Wow.

Yeah May 2016 first release. One year later, a big update. Now it's another two years after that...

View PostForge, on 20 April 2019 - 08:51 AM, said:

this mod really needs its own episode.
finding a few good mappers with motivation and free time is becoming a rarity.

I agree and maybe it will happen some day.

View PostFantinaikos, on 20 April 2019 - 09:11 AM, said:

It's a graphic update only or is contemporary to the new chapter development?

If possible, tell him to make also a complete Dianoga body for underwater frames working

This is mostly a graphical update with some bug fixes and minor changes. The Dianoga is not really in it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Does anybody know what color gamorrean blood is?

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options