Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey that's pretty cool! Right now I'm finishing up the Tusken raider, after that maybe I will try adding the ion rifle. At one point I was going to add a Jawa, but unfortunately I discovered that the sprites I have are shit, mostly consisting of identical tiles without enough different ones to make a proper walking animation.

At one point I was going to add a Jawa, but unfortunately I discovered that the sprites I have are shit, mostly consisting of identical tiles without enough different ones to make a proper walking animation.

Not that complicated give a better walking, the legs are not seen so it should be enough to change the folds of the skirt on each frame to give the illusion. Or you could just paste the lower part of the tusken.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 05 February 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

Not that complicated give a better walking, the legs are not seen so it should be enough to change the folds of the skirt on each frame to give the illusion. Or you could just paste the lower part of the tusken.

If you want to take a look at it, I have attached the jawa sprite folder with the duplicate sprites removed. I'm sure you are right, but it would still take me a good deal of time to add the animations and I'm trying to finish some other stuff more suited to my skillset.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  jawa.rar (66.61K)
    Number of downloads: 161

Ok here is my Jawa walk frames, only those are missing obviously. Obtained after a simple pixeling and de-pixeling and some copypasting.

Attached File  Missing Jawa Walking Frames.zip (54.61K)
Number of downloads: 171

That DF community Tusken has Melee mace and Thermal Detonator attacks, but Tuskens even uses guns like their Cycler Rifle http://starwars.wiki...n_Cycler_rifle. You would include a Tusken gunner? It seems rather easy to pixeling, It is almost a broomstick.

I wonder if it is possible add a game mechanic that spawns specific enemies in specific areas, for ex. if the the mod finds out that the map is full of a certain quantity of snow areas, it will spawn SnowTrooper in map instead of the regular ones.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 06 February 2017 - 10:59 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 06 February 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

Ok here is my Jawa walk frames, only those are missing obviously. Obtained after a simple pixeling and de-pixeling and some copypasting.

Thank you! I will look at those and code a jawa in the future.

That DF community Tusken has Melee mace and Thermal Detonator attacks, but Tuskens even uses guns like their Cycler Rifle http://starwars.wiki...n_Cycler_rifle. You would include a Tusken gunner? It seems rather easy to pixeling, It is almost a broomstick.

I finished coding the tusken based on the existing animations. Instead of a thermal detonator, I have them throwing a net which temporarily restrains the player (although he can still fire, and he can escape from it using lightsaber). Even though we don't see them using nets in the movies, I feel it is consistent with what we know about them and adds a new gameplay element. Thanks to Gambini for the net sprite!

I wonder if it is possible add a game mechanic that spawns specific enemies in specific areas, for ex. if the the mod finds out that the map is full of a certain quantity of snow areas, it will spawn SnowTrooper in map instead of the regular ones.

I have been doing that already in some respects. For example, Duke enemies are much more likely to be randomly replaced by Tusken raiders if they are outside (parallaxed ceiling in the sector). But it gets tricky when trying to determine the type of terrain, not to mention it requires tedious coding. With snow, for example: there are certain textures typically associated with snow, but mappers can be very creative and there is no way to be sure. There was/is a funny bug in Attrition which exemplifies this problem. Footstep sounds in that mod are based on the floor texture and pal, but some floors that look like snow are used for other things (e.g. the white lines on roads) and the snow stepping sound will play if you walk on them.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Never forget...

Boba Fett

Duke Forces 2.0 Coming Soon

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 February 2017 - 05:02 PM, said:

Never forget...

Boba Fett

Duke Forces 2.0 Coming Soon

Oh man, that Sector Slave I is sexy.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 01 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJinroh, on 01 March 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Oh man, that Sector Slave I is sexy.

Made in 1997 by Mike Beaulieu and it still looks good. It's fun playing the level with actual star wars enemies, weapons, and of course Boba Fett himself at the end.

User is offline   Gambini 

Nothing like the classic Boba Fett map with Boba Fett himself. It´s like the map´s been waiting for him 20 years!!

User is offline   Cernex 

Sad to report that my computer runs it like crap, :P

From what I could play and see, it looked fucking amazing. But the framerate droping to single-digits mid fire-fights... yeah... not getting very far.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostCernex, on 02 March 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Sad to report that my computer runs it like crap, :P

From what I could play and see, it looked fucking amazing. But the framerate droping to single-digits mid fire-fights... yeah... not getting very far.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

You don't need to use the polymer renderer for this TC, polymost is fine. I'm pretty sure that was your problem. Try it again when the update is released.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Here's the first 1.25 levels of the "new" episode for Duke Forces in its current state. If you are familiar with this mod you will notice various new and changed things throughout. I still need to work on a new opening text crawl and some other cosmetic stuff, but I'm pretty much done with gameplay for now.

Anyway, I would like for this new version to undergo some testing before release. Any takers? You can send me a PM. I would value the input of those who haven't played the mod before, although old players are welcome too.

User is offline   Jinroh 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 March 2017 - 11:37 PM, said:

Made in 1997 by Mike Beaulieu and it still looks good. It's fun playing the level with actual star wars enemies, weapons, and of course Boba Fett himself at the end.

Oh very cool. now the question is, how did I miss this one back in the day?

nothing to see here!

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 12 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 10 March 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

I would value the input of those who haven't played the mod before, although old players are welcome too.

getting tired of me so soon? we've barely established a rapport.

This post has been edited by Forge: 11 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 11 March 2017 - 10:54 AM, said:

getting tired of me so soon? we've barely established a rapport.

You are a great beta tester and I would be honored to have you give it another go!

I wrote that about new testers because it's harder to imagine how a game would be experienced by a new player if you have already played an earlier version of it.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 11 March 2017 - 12:46 PM, said:

I wrote that about new testers because it's harder to imagine how a game would be experienced by a new player if you have already played an earlier version of it.

Depends if and how the changes to the gameplay affects more or less even the first episode that should appear partially new for those who played already, not for nothing exists the term "replayability". If the testers have the same sensation you nailed it. We still in gameplay definition phase and the time to deal with the actual story mode where things could get really complicated still relatively far.

I did not expect the Introduction of the Zero Gravity Trooper Mark II so soon. (poor Mark I, looks like a chinese robot toy :P). I've seen that lose the jibs after a violent death but I'm not sure if it bleeds too, should do so it's a guy in a big suit after all.

Oh, yeah... And I take a ticket for a testing.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hello,

I haven't played Duke Forces yet but that video is really impressive. Congratulations Trooper Dan,it's an impressive piece of work (in fact I am so impress that I can't find more to say ^^, "chapeau l'artiste !").

Bye,
DotK3D

User is offline   xenoxols 

This looks pretty cool! I like what you did with the glow on the Bryar pistol. I think you should move the DL-44 a little to the right though.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postxenoxols, on 12 March 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

I think you should move the DL-44 a little to the right though.

Forge, on 12 March 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

the dl-44 is too far to the right. (and a little too high)
the muzzle-flash and the round don't come close to matching position.

:P

The real issue here is that changing the spawn point and/or offset of a projectile can be tricky and lead to various issues, especially when said projectile is used for other things. If I moved the gun left to match the projectile spawn, then its angle would be completely wrong, since the sprite is clearly angled left already. But if I move it to the right, then the spawn point is more wrong.

If you think this is bad, try messing with a rocket launcher that fires from the right side. If you move the rocket over there, the player will blow himself up whenever there is a wall just to his right.

EDIT: fixed it to my satisfaction

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 12 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I think this update will be released in the next week.

http://imgur.com/a/V2yXE

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Almost there...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey everyone, I'm all set to release Duke Forces 2.0!

I'm posting a link to a copy on a duke4.net owned server first, a day or two before I upload it to Mod DB. I'll have more to say about it later, but for now I'm just going to post a download link:

DOWNLOAD

All you need to do is add DUKE3D.GRP to the dukeforces folder (or not, if you have megaton installed), and run the included eduke32.exe
There's a barebones cfg in the folder already which has interact bound to middle mouse and altfire bound to right mouse.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Duke Forces 2.0 is set to become available on Mod DB in 8 hours. But it isn't authorized yet, so who knows -- that may or may not happen. In the mean time, anyone can download it from the download link in the post above!

More information on what the update includes:

• The new Darth Nukem episode, with cutscenes
  • Also includes the original expansion episode for Duke 3D, for a total of 6 single-player episodes
  • New enemies (Boba Fett, snow trooper, tusken raider, ATPT walker, and zero-g trooper)
  • New and improved weapon graphics on DL-44, stormtrooper rifle and assault cannon
  • The return of the classic shotgun (unlockable perk)
  • Better laser effects
  • New force powers, with some force powers unlocked at the start
  • new replacement textures and sprites for some of the remaining Duke 3D content
  • new attacks for the sith lords and new rewards for defeating them
  • lots of bug fixes, small improvements and rebalancing (too many to list)

Also, here is a little guide I made in PDF format.

I see that you removed that walker at the very beginning of Hollywood Holocaust. Very right decision, it was an unfair fight for a begin pistol start (even considering the secret and/or jump into the window), especially if the random system sends you against a Tusken that launch a web attack with obvious consequences.

That problem with the probe droid seems only partially resolved unfortunately, there are no more blood splatters on the walls but still the crunchy gore explosion on certain conditions.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 03 April 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

I see that you removed that walker at the very beginning of Hollywood Holocaust. Very right decision, it was an unfair fight for a begin pistol start (even considering the secret and/or jump into the window), especially if the random system sends you against a Tusken that launch a web attack with obvious consequences.

That problem with the probe droid seems only partially resolved unfortunately, there are no more blood splatters on the walls but still the crunchy gore explosion on certain conditions.

I removed it for difficulty 1 and 2, but it's still there for 3 and 4. It should not pose a problem for experienced players -- just grab the grenade launcher from the ledge above, spam it with grenades and it's dead. Also, it walks a path back and forth, you can hide behind the box when it comes near and it will walk away.

I have yet to see the crunchy gore explosion, even after destroying a lot of probes. Do you know what conditions trigger it?

I suspected that this was applied to the first two difficulty levels. That grenade launcher is the secret I was talking about (rocket launcher in vanilla), but generally most of the players instinctively using it to "open" the cinema as first, logically spamming ammo for another enemy it's a snag to this.
I have to test this hide and seek thing, it's seems a cute piece of AI.

I have yet to see the crunchy gore explosion, even after destroying a lot of probes. Do you know what conditions trigger it?

The last time is happened underwater, but even so it could be an occasional event so this element may not be strictly connected. I must say that where also moving platforms on the water surface therefore he may have bumped against those.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I've never had a serious issue dealing with the walker in e1l1. Easy to kill or avoid due to its limited patrol path.

I've come across the probes tossing a bit of blood on occasion. It seems rare and random. I just killed some with a blaster rifle in the bathroom of e4l1 - one tossed blood, the other three didn't.

I am having issue with enemies shooting through barriers & walls again though. Especially the bossk's beams.

This post has been edited by Forge: 03 April 2017 - 05:12 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options