Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 13 May 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 12 May 2016 - 08:26 PM, said:

thanks. i recently started my playthrough of the mod. got 5 levels done so far, but posted 3 cause the next to levels are quite long that i'm gonna have to split'em into parts
https://www.youtube....2s7DDwBWNuOcEnN

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I released version 1.1 of Duke Forces over at Mod DB.

Unless someone finds a major bug, this will be the last update in a long time, because I want to focus on developing the story mode and making some major additions. If you played version 1.0, the big things you will notice are: new hud display for switching weapons, new enemy to replace protector drones, a second type of blaster pistol, rebalanced enemy health amounts and improved enemy pathfinding.

User is offline   Jolteon 

I didn't played through the original three episodes yet. But I did played the new one, and so far this mod is cool. It does actually have potential. It was definitely hard for me but probably because I was playing on Rebel scum (Come get some replacement). Can't wait to see more in the future. Keep up the good work. :D

Also this happen to me when I was playing my usermap with this mod.

Attached Image: duke0002.png :)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I tried it out yesterday and had a blast as well! (I regret not having a chance before now) DT, you really know how to make some satisfying gameplay and pleasing effects! The weapons feel powerful and the debris is plentiful and chunky which just makes everything feel....satisfying! I couldn't figure out how to use the Force, though. Can you do that in the latest released build? I really like your unique takes on the weapons too.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Much appreciated. Force powers are perks. There are two types of perks: those you earn in the levels, which only last for that game, and those you earn by completing an episode, which are permanent and persist between games.

If you want to cheat and give yourself those force perks without completing episodes 3 and 4 (for force pull and choke, respectively), you can do so by either editing your eduke32.cfg file, or by adding them in the console. If you do the latter, they won't be permanently saved though.

cfg editing method: Open the file eduke32.cfg and find [Maptimes]. After the map time entries, there may or may not be an entry for [Gamevars]. You want it to look like this:

[Gamevars]
savedperks = 756

That will give you both force perks every time you start a game. For all perks, you would set savedperks to 1023

Console method: open the console and type "setvar perks 756". Notice that in this case, it is the perks var, not the savedperks var.

Perks function as a bitfield:
1 = looting ability
2 = enhanced looting
4 = shield recharge ability
8 = enhanced shield recharge
16 = enhanced saber, but wont do anything as cheat
32 = ehhanced saber dash
64 = health regen < 10
128 = increased fight for your life time
256 = force pull (on items only)
512 = force choke (on enemies with throats only)

• The Sarien Encounter

Ah that makes sense. It's just that at one point I thought I had what looked like a full Force bar and couldn't figure out how to use it. I really like the perk system, especially that certain ones persist after you're done playing. Reminds me quite a bit of Jedi Knight/Outcast/Academy.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 May 2016 - 07:28 PM, said:

Ah that makes sense. It's just that at one point I thought I had what looked like a full Force bar and couldn't figure out how to use it. I really like the perk system, especially that certain ones persist after you're done playing. Reminds me quite a bit of Jedi Knight/Outcast/Academy.

If the force meter was displaying without having earned the perk, that's a bug that I haven't seen before. Otherwise, to use a force power you hold down the spacebar, or whatever key/button you have assigned to open doors and interact with things. :) On enemies, you actually have to be hitscanning them with your crosshair on their sprite to lock on for the choke. On items, it will lock on if you are pointing in the general direction.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Galaxy in Turmoil, a Star Wars: Battlefront fan project, has been shut down by Lucasfilm and EA: http://frontwirestud...axy-in-turmoil/

It's a reminder that being small isn't always bad: sometimes it's good to fly under the radar.

-------

On a different subject, I am still looking for level designers! It's been about 2 months since I have done any serious work on this project, but I still think about it almost every day.

• The Sarien Encounter

I was waiting for that to happen. Sad. :P

LucasFilm informed me that although they would of been open to the idea of negotiating a license for Frontwire to work on the Star Wars IP, that they are not able to due to their contract with Electronic Arts (EA). I was told that Lucasfilm had already spoken with EA about Galaxy in Turmoil and that EA expressed no desire in letting our project continue. Their main concern was due to the possibility of Galaxy in Turmoil taking away attention from their Battlefront franchise.

Knew it. They knew it was what the fans actually wanted and what they weren't providing.

It's cool to see it's still going to go ahead, though. Just not as a Star Wars game. Now we'll see whether people prefer the atmosphere of Star Wars to the gameplay of classic Battlefront.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 01 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

User is offline   Nokiaman 

There is not a single company beside Valve that actually want to lose control of their IP. Ever. And there is nothing wrong with that.
They were asking for trouble putting it on Greenlight.

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 02 August 2016 - 02:33 AM

• Polymancer

They put it on Greenlight? Bwah-hah-hah-hah!

• The Sarien Encounter

It wasn't Greenlight. They had a distribution deal setup with Steam directly.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Did they want people to pay for it? If so, then of course it's a big no-no.

User is offline   Nokiaman 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 02 August 2016 - 01:29 PM, said:

It wasn't Greenlight. They had a distribution deal setup with Steam directly.

That's not really different. Putting it on Steam is just making it too visible. I was honestly surprised it took this long for Lucasarts to react.

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 03 August 2016 - 04:00 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostMicky C, on 02 August 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

Did they want people to pay for it? If so, then of course it's a big no-no.

No, it was going to be free.

User is offline   Apiai 

Hi,

I'm trying to run DukeForces with eduke 32-bit r5811 (I have tried r5839 but it crash with no error msg at all), and I've got a lot of errors :
"No palette loaded, in tilefromtexture definition near line duke3d.def:842"

And a final error : "problem initializing Build Engine : No palette found"

What am I doing wrong ?!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostApiai, on 27 August 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

Hi,

I'm trying to run DukeForces with eduke 32-bit r5811 (I have tried r5839 but it crash with no error msg at all), and I've got a lot of errors :
"No palette loaded, in tilefromtexture definition near line duke3d.def:842"

And a final error : "problem initializing Build Engine : No palette found"

What am I doing wrong ?!

It sounds like you are trying to run it as a standalone game without the data from Duke Nukem 3D. You need to have a file named "DUKE3D.GRP" which comes with your Duke Nukem 3D install. That file should be placed in the folder that contains the eduke32 binary.

Many players also have the Duke Nukem 3D Megaton edition on steam, and eduke32 knows to look for the game data in the steam directory if you have that.

Once you do get hold of the file, I would strongly recommend using the most recent eduke32 revision.

User is offline   Apiai 

Yep I've forgot to put DUKE3D.GRP in the dir :^/

Thanks for replying

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

View PostNokiaman, on 02 August 2016 - 02:32 AM, said:

There is not a single company beside Valve that actually want to lose control of their IP. Ever. And there is nothing wrong with that.
They were asking for trouble putting it on Greenlight.

You forgot about SEGA. They C&D only one project and that was because they could lose Street of Rage IP, although they allowed the devs to release the game and gave some time to spread it across Internet.

They did? It's even worse than screaming about your attempt at remaking/porting something of what you don't have license. They asked for it and guess they just wanted to PR their Battlefront clone because let's face it, why bother doing it for free when you could just make money instead. However, I find it funny that EA refused to cooperate, not only that build was legit Pandemic Battlefront III, it would mean to them easy money and better reputation. Looks like only Disney understood it, too bad they were too stupid to give EA exclusive SW license. No easy money for them.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostApiai, on 27 August 2016 - 10:46 AM, said:

Yep I've forgot to put DUKE3D.GRP in the dir :^/

Thanks for replying

Glad to help. Don't forget to leave feedback once you play the game!

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSledgehammer, on 27 August 2016 - 02:46 PM, said:

They did? It's even worse than screaming about your attempt at remaking/porting something of what you don't have license. They asked for it and guess they just wanted to PR their Battlefront clone because let's face it, why bother doing it for free when you could just make money instead. However, I find it funny that EA refused to cooperate, not only that build was legit Pandemic Battlefront III, it would mean to them easy money and better reputation. Looks like only Disney understood it, too bad they were too stupid to give EA exclusive SW license. No easy money for them.

AFAIK EA wasn't involved. Disney came to the team independent of them with the C&D. Also, Galaxy In Turmoil is still going to be free.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

User is offline   Apiai 

I'm on the third map, this mod is really awesome.
What I like :
- kill to revive feature
- saber combat
- wheel-robot animation and model
- explosion animation
- posters, book covers

I don't like the black fog (default visibility), it's too low, is it possible to adjust it ? (set DEFAULTVISIBILITY in user.con is not working)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostApiai, on 28 August 2016 - 08:54 AM, said:

I don't like the black fog (default visibility), it's too low, is it possible to adjust it ? (set DEFAULTVISIBILITY in user.con is not working)

Changing that value should work. But to make visibility higher, the number should be lower. If you set it to 0, you should get full visibility (no fog). Here's an explanation:

http://wiki.eduke32....wiki/Visibility

I do use code to change the value when the player zooms, but the changes are all based on DEFAULTVISIBILITY, so changing that should do the trick.

• Polymancer

Just a word to the people adapting existing models to this mod. TF3DM, a site which has been used quite a bit as a source of SW models, has recently been acquired by Turbo Squid. As there are a lot of game-ripped assets on that site, I imagine there is going to be a clean-up sooner or later there. So if anyone is wanting to grab anything, then now is the time.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTea Monster, on 31 January 2017 - 09:00 AM, said:

Just a word to the people adapting existing models to this mod. TF3DM, a site which has been used quite a bit as a source of SW models, has recently been acquired by Turbo Squid. As there are a lot of game-ripped assets on that site, I imagine there is going to be a clean-up sooner or later there. So if anyone is wanting to grab anything, then now is the time.

Thanks for the heads-up. As it happens, I have started working on this again in the last couple of days. Not so much with models, but on force powers and gameplay stuff for now.

User is offline   xenoxols 

@Trooper Dan if you want I could make a replacement sprite for the pistol.

Thanks for the heads-up. As it happens, I have started working on this again in the last couple of days. Not so much with models, but on force powers and gameplay stuff for now.

What about unlock the Mind Trick ability? Basically brainwashing a low/medium rank enemy to fight on your side (except robot and droids, neither Jedi or Sith can do this on them). Otherwise there still the electric thinghy.

Anyway, I have found a small error in the imperial officer walking sequence, 3649.png and 3664.png should be inverted. I don't know if it is made by purpose so I followed the same order in the resources I gave to you, fix it if wrong.

I also noticed that the single mines can be picked up but the mines pack are undroppable. It is intentional?

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 31 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postxenoxols, on 31 January 2017 - 02:37 PM, said:

@Trooper Dan if you want I could make a replacement sprite for the pistol.

We could definitely use a better DL-44, if you want to work on that. It would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need any resources.

View PostFantinaikos, on 31 January 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Anyway, I have found a small error in the imperial officer walking sequence, 3649.png and 3664.png should be inverted.

Nice catch! I have just fixed that on my end and the fix will be included with the next update.

What about unlock the Mind Trick ability? Basically brainwashing a low/medium rank enemy to fight on your side (except robot and droids, neither Jedi or Sith can do this on them). Otherwise there still the electric thinghy.

I have thought about those things but I have decided to keep it simple, with basic force powers. I have made it so that your hand only goes up if there is a force target available (no more hand going up when you open a door). I have made it so that you can force pull almost any object in the game, except for enemies (enemies you choke instead). Even enemy bodies will be force pullable. Next I will add the ability to force throw something you have pulled (press fire after pulling). There will also be a force healing power (activate by pressing use while crouching). All force powers will draw from the same pool of energy, and the only way to recharge it is to get normal weapon kills -- this ensures that gunplay is still central to the game.

Probably the biggest change is that you now start with the force powers, and completing episodes upgrades them (instead of starting with nothing).

I also noticed that the single mines can be picked up but the mines pack are undroppable. It is intentional?

This sounds like it might be a bug but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You can only place one mine at a time, but you can pick them up in packs.

This sounds like it might be a bug but I'm not sure exactly what you mean. You can only place one mine at a time, but you can pick them up in packs.

From what I understand at the moment mines backpacks (a rare drop in Dark Forces that gives five mines at once i guess) are used just as a scenario object, this can be seen inside the metal flaming trash box down the street of Hollywood Holocaust, they using the sprite in "misc/0951.png" instead of the one in "items/MIN2A0.png" because not assigned as ammo pickup yet. Yeah, It is probably a restriction due to the fact that in Duke Forces the Dark Forces mines replaces Laser Tripbombs, and in vanilla Duke3d tripbombs are collectable only individually.

It would still nice add them, maybe with a game mechanic that randomly replaces single mines with mines backpacks.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options