Duke4.net Forums: PolymerNG - Xbox One and Windows 10 - Duke4.net Forums

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PolymerNG - Xbox One and Windows 10

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Unless TX, Yatta, and Fred can convince Randy to let us have something to play with in that vein...

User is offline   Mark 

:P

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: backburner.jpg

User is offline   Paul B 

View Posticecoldduke, on 26 May 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

In before someone else says it, "I think there should be a forum dedicated to the projects Justin has stopped working on" :P. I do miss working on PolymerNG. Real work has to come before random free work I do on the side, and I can't do graphics work without potentially violating my non compete. Keep this topic open(and hopefully clean), eventually I plan on moving towards freelance consulting work, then hopefully those non competes will be less of a issue(and I can move back to PolymerNG). I'd also like to finish up my neural net compression tech, but I can never seem to tear myself aware from old 3drealms games. It's like a nagging itch I can never quite scratch, which is why doing a Shadow Warrior mod is a great compromise to scratch my itch and not have it compete with my work.

I fail to understand how working on a free open source project interferes with a paid position??? Technically any code you write for your paid job is property of your employer and it cant be back ported to Eduke. So i fail to understand what you mean by non compete? Working on polymerng is totally not competing. Its called a free hobby that you donate your time to. So your story doesnt exactly add up.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 27 May 2017 - 07:30 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPaul B, on 27 May 2017 - 07:27 AM, said:

So your story doesnt exactly add up.

Sure it does. If I'm paying someone a salary for their renderer code, then I don't want that person to spend their time writing renderer code for unrelated parties and posting it for free. It's sort of like how professional fighters sign exclusivity deals with fight promotions. If someone fights for the UFC, their contract prohibits them from participating in free amateur fights.

User is offline   Paul B 

I dont think any business has any right controlling or enforcing people how to live their personal lives. What a person chooses to do on their spare time should be up to the individual and not a business. Sounds more like a dictatorship to me and i can't imagine people would allow a job to control their personal life choices especially when there is no personal financial gain made from such endeavours.

As for free amateur fighting i could understand how that would interfere with professional fighting. As it could result in injury which would effect the persons profession. Then again the person could also could get hit by a car as well so should he not be allowed to walk in public as it is a risk to his health. Where does one draw the line?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 27 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPaul B, on 27 May 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

I dont think any business has any right controlling or enforcing people how to live their personal lives. What a person chooses to do on their spare time should be up to the individual and not a business. Sounds more like a dictatorship to me and i can't imagine people would allow a job to control their personal life choices.

You're not seeing the big picture here. First, it's a contract. If the employer doesn't like it, they can refuse to sign it and work elsewhere. Secondly, if icecoldduke is writing graphics code for EDuke32, he's going to use all of the skills and resources at his disposal to do so. Potentially, competitors of his company could look at it and learn from it. It's not unreasonable for an employer to demand that their employees not aid their competitors.

User is offline   Paul B 

I hate corporate politics! Ok i dont want to derail this thread. Just frustrated with big business.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 27 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

User is online   Player Lin 

Welcome to this fucking Real-Life™. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 27 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

User is offline   stumppy84 

NDA's and non-competes are pretty standard in the business world. Especially with intellectual properties. Even small business do them quite regularly.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It was nice for ICD to offer to give us a new renderer, even if nothing panned out. That shouldn't take the heat off the EDuke devs to do something about fixing all the bugs in the existing renderer.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostTea Monster, on 30 May 2017 - 01:04 AM, said:

It was nice for ICD to offer to give us a new renderer, even if nothing panned out. That shouldn't take the heat off the EDuke devs to do something about fixing all the bugs in the existing renderer.

The person who wrote the original Polymer renderer isn't around to work on it much anymore, just FYI. (Plagman) As for the rest of the devs, there's other priorities (Bombshell) and some don't have the same skillset that Plagman did.

As for myself, I'd help out (I have a possible solution for the z-fighting of wall-aligned sprites) but I'm currently busy with the multiplayer.

This post has been edited by Striker: 30 May 2017 - 02:32 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostStriker, on 30 May 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

The person who wrote the original Polymer renderer isn't around to work on it much anymore, just FYI. (Plagman) As for the rest of the devs, there's other priorities (Bombshell) and some don't have the same skillset that Plagman did.

As for myself, I'd help out (I have a possible solution for the z-fighting of wall-aligned sprites) but I'm currently busy with the multiplayer.

We dont need you to stretch yourself too thin between projects. Best to stay focused on multiplayer support since thats a big and much needed under taking. Once that has been polished then try taking a stab at graphics.

With enough time and patience i have no doubt ICD will revisit polymerng. I just hope by then he can incorporate TROR support into the new renderer. That would be amazing if those three things could come together. Keep up the great work striker i'm a big fan!

Im curious are you reviving old mp code? Or are you proceeding with a new session based join and quit on the fly method of multiplayer based on Terminx's model?

This post has been edited by Paul B: 31 May 2017 - 08:48 PM

• Auramancer

View PostPaul B, on 31 May 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

Im curious are you reviving old mp code? Or are you proceeding with a new session based join and quit on the fly method of multiplayer based on Terminx's model?

Both. I'm maintaining the OldMP branch and fixing bugs, and added some much needed features (such as frag limits). When 75 has finished his work on the Client/Server packet code, I'm going to switch to that and port the relevant features and fixes to it.

I'm also working on a Dukematch-centered project called "StrikerDM", which is a collection of new features, weapons, and maps for Dukematch. Mainly doing that to drum up interest in Dukematching again on EDuke32.

This post has been edited by Striker: 01 June 2017 - 03:49 AM

As I mentioned in another topic, I do plan on fixing some issues in Polymer(Shadow Warrior FAF Trans Water, and ShowView).

On the topic of multiplayer, I did grab mmulti.cpp from a older build and put it in to my branch(not committed yet), does that code work as is? I imagine there is a whole bunch of latency issues, but does it at least work over LAN?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 01 June 2017 - 06:34 AM

User is offline   Spiker 

Can you fix something that was working in the previous versions and now is broken? Like normal maps not working properly in the recent snapshots.

User is offline   HellFire 

View PostStriker, on 01 June 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

When 75 has finished his work on the Client/Server packet code

Sorry for going offtopic here, but do you (or anyone else) have news on that? We all know that that guy is working on it, but how much has he progressed so far?
IMO what is lacking the most (by far) for the duke community is client server multiplayer.

This post has been edited by HellFire: 02 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

View PostHellFire, on 02 June 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

Sorry for going offtopic here, but do you (or anyone else) have news on that? We all know that that guy is working on it, but how much has he progressed so far?
IMO what is lacking the most (by far) for the duke community is client server multiplayer.

I can't speak for whats going on Voidpoints side, but this weekend I'm going to integrate the network code I had in PolymerNG in the new Shadow Warrior branch, hopefully everything works well.

• Auramancer

View PostHellFire, on 02 June 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

A lot of progress has been made (there's new commits for it nearly every day), but there's still some really wacky bugs to sort out (such as the map turning inside out on occasion, we think the sector/wall order is getting out of order on updates, likely will be fixed later today.). When 75 and I feel it's ready for testing, you will know.

This post has been edited by Striker: 02 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

The big issue with doing proper networking in build is not the replication. Replicating sectors/walls/sprites is easy enough, the big issue is cutting down bandwidth by coding client side prediction so things like moving sectors don't need to always be replicated. This is were shit gets messy in build.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 June 2017 - 01:33 PM

• Auramancer

View Posticecoldduke, on 02 June 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

The big issue with doing proper networking in build is not the replication. Replicating sectors/walls/sprites is easy enough, the big issue is cutting down bandwidth by coding client side prediction so things like moving sectors don't need to always be replicated. This is were shit gets messy in build.

That's already a thing as far as I'm aware. And yes, it's messy... build is a mass of linked lists that are dependent on other linked lists, upon linked lists, upon variables that can be used for unintended purposes and in unexpected ways.

This post has been edited by Striker: 02 June 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostStriker, on 02 June 2017 - 03:30 PM, said:

That's already a thing as far as I'm aware. And yes, it's messy... build is a mass of linked lists that are dependent on other linked lists, upon linked lists, upon variables that can be used for unintended purposes and in unexpected ways.

I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with :P

Does anyone have any binary release I made that has a EDuke32_PolymerNG.exe with working shadows in it?

User is offline   TON 

Probably Paul B

I got it, thanks :P.

@icecoldduke - Don't let people give you any grief. I know all too well that when working in corporate America, your contract can stipulate that anything you create while an employee of theirs, they own. And I'm all too familiar with non-compete clauses.

I did want to necropost to this thread however because I found a growing project to house XBox One homebrew software in one place.

https://github.com/w.../ProjectPegasus

I'd love to see you eventually put your XBox One port of the engine over there so people can play with it, even if it is incomplete. Who knows? It might get someone interested in contributing.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

While what you said is true, if you see the previous post of his, it was made nearly 4 months ago. He could still let people here know what the situation is so they aren't hanging and wondering.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

That's why you keep anonymity on the Internet. No one will sue B14CK_F4LC0N_21 for what he does.

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options