Duke4.net Forums: PolymerNG - Xbox One and Windows 10 - Duke4.net Forums

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PolymerNG - Xbox One and Windows 10

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

PrintScreen works in Windows again? I thought they disabled that in what...Vista was it? Couldn't you just add it as a non-Steam game in Steam and then take a screenshot with Steam's overlay?

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostKathy, on 24 July 2016 - 05:31 AM, said:

Thanks.

"I know GPL is an industry standard, but I felt that it was way too long and boring for anyone to read seriously. I chose to write a nice short license that everybody could understand. This way, people unfamiliar with GPL would understand their rights."

That answer and reasoning is somewhat strange since his license, simply put, contradicts GPL.

It doesn't sound like a very good reason. I would push him on this. If he can relicense it with GPL it would simplify things.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'll do a vid later tonight. Ive not played SW in years so I can't promise to spot everything.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 24 July 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

It doesn't sound like a very good reason. I would push him on this. If he can relicense it with GPL it would simplify things.

If the reason for that license is about not wanting to see code used commercially and/or receiving money otherwise, I doubt he'll change it. Which is quite okay in either of the cases, I'm not judging here. I'm not even sure he can change it now without consent of TX & Co. But I wish it wouldn't have been so convoluted.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

It's probably to guarantee he can get royalties from old Build projects.

• Polymancer

https://youtu.be/aZ6uzmxEwPg

00:04 - FPS weren't made for controllers. :-p
00:12 - Two props on the plinth are in pernanent shadow. This resolved in an earlier playthough, if you walked right up to them, but the game crashed. After the crash, they remained black no matter how close you got or what angle you viewed them at.
00:19 - Same problem, different prop. If you walk up to it, the shadow lifts.
00:40 - Always look both ways before leaping out of a window into the street kids. Safety first, M'kay?
01:00 - Very saturated colours. A nice touch.
01:40 - Shadows not meeting the ground.
01:30 - Something weird is going on with those footprints. Not sure if it's an alpha issue or a z-fighting thing. I can't remember what the original looked like to compare.
01:45 - Normal maps are turning up well. In some places they suffer from no AA and look noisy, but this one came out nicely.
01:47 - Moody shadows are great, but this is an example of it being too dark.
02:20 - I think this area needs some more light. Not just darkness, but if you widen the reach of the point light under that red lantern to help illuminate the street, and had some fill lights from windows to give a yellow cast, it would look great. This is purely subjective and nothing to do with bugs, and I realise it's just a test, but now that you don't have the restrictions of Polymer, you can live a little.
2:43 - Weirdly inky shadows on the curb that steps up to where the silver key door is. There is a very natural light fall-off that works well elsewhere, so this really stands out as strange. Especially at this point, look at how the shadow falls across the ninja. Sudden inky blackness looks weird.
03:04 - Controllers and FPS - sigh.
03:34 - Behind the desk is absolutely stygian. There might be a button behind there - can't see. I don't know if that's a render issue or it just needs a light in there as there is no sector lighting.
03:58 - Z-fighting issue with wall-aligned sprites.
04:20 - More of this.
05:14 - Ummmm - was this in the original game?
06:00 - AA or some kind of filtering needed on the normal maps.
07:40 - IIRC, that should be a key in the lock.
08:02 - The front of the desk is inky black, which dosen't jibe with the other surfaces in the room.
10:05 - I got blown out of the vent. Is that how it works in the original?
11:03 - The gamma on the video is too dark, but in game, you could see clearly through the water.
11:21 - A light from an adjacent sector shows through the ceiling at this point.
11:25 - I'm not noticing any real problems with looking back out of the water on mine.
12:50 - The rocket dosen't light up it's surroundings. There should be a big old flash when that sucker goes off.
13:34 - Shouldn't the other car take a key to the slot for you? I coudn't get this to work.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 24 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

User is offline   XxMiltenXx 

Here some things about performance.

PC Specs:
NVidia GeForce GTX 780
Intel i5-2400

I am getting around 30 to 50% whole CPU usage, with each core being used to up to 50%
GPU usage is constantly 100% (99%)

I am getting aroud 80-140FPS, with an estimated average of 120.

Forcing VSync via NVidia Driver does not work btw.

No random FPS drops, it runs very fluid and smooth at that.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTea Monster, on 24 July 2016 - 02:20 PM, said:

03:58 - Z-fighting issue with wall-aligned sprites.

:P

I look forward to seeing ice's solution to this one, though I hope it isn't to add maphacks to say which sprites need to be offset.

View PostHendricks266, on 24 July 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

I look forward to seeing ice's solution to this one, though I hope it isn't to add maphacks to say which sprites need to be offset.

That particular one looks like shadows maybe? Look at 0:57.

Ambient is now fixed.

PolymerNG Public Test 2 Patch 1
-----------------------

Shadow Warrior

INSTRUCTIONS:
----------------------
1) Copy your SW.GRP to SW_Test/Assets/SWData
2) Run ShadowWarrior.exe

FIXES:
----------------------
Ambient is fixed.
Windows 7 is fixed.

CONTROLS
----------------------
Xbox One Controller
RT -> FIRE
RB/LB -> SWITCH WEAPONS
A -> JUMP
B -> CROUTCH
Y -> USE/OPEN

KNOWN ISSUES:
----------------------
God Mode is enabled.
Some bump maps look noisey.
Keyboard and Mouse support are broken, you have to use a XBOX One or XBOX 360 Controller.
Trying to exit the level causes a crash.
Trying to exit the game can cause a hang, you might need to CTRL-ALT-DELETE out of the build.
Some voxels are rotated the wrong direction or don't display at all. These are mostly keycards and switches. Just use the Y button

https://drive.google...T2NobFZKM3hDS2c

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 July 2016 - 07:00 PM

User is offline   Moggimus 

I get an error in Windows 7 when I try to run ShadowWarrior.exe:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Clipboard02.jpg

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Edit: Never mind, I forgot to put the SW.grp in the new folder. You should illegally include it again to make it easier Posted Image

Edit 2: Got some picks of the latest release.

See how the menu and HUD are off? Also, those two sprites/models on the screen flicker a bit when you move around.

Posted Image

Those parking meters are way too small. Also, the headlights on the car with the alarm don't move at all when triggered.

Posted Image

You can see some missing geometry (black) in the stair area.

Posted Image

And again to the left of the screen. I'm not sure if it's visible in the image, but there was some slight glow coming from the edge of the screen where the geometry was missing.

Posted Image

See-through geometry:
Posted Image

Lots of missing geometry in the same place:
Posted Image

More of a cosmetic thing, but that prize pickup sign is barely readable close up on account of the glow. Get further away and it becomes much worse. Signs don't look like that in real life. Also, why is there that blue tinge in that area? It looks a bit out of place.
Posted Image

There's still no framerate counter so it's hard to tell what the performance is like, but it definitely felt very smooth, and my computer is apparently pretty outdated these days. Quad core 2.4ghz processor, 8gb ram, and a 2gb video card.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

View Postmoggimus, on 24 July 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

I get an error in Windows 7 when I try to run ShadowWarrior.exe:

Are you using Windows 7 SP1? Windows 7 users if you are having trouble running, try and install the Visual Studio 2015 runtime: https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=48145

Great bug report btw Micky :P.

For everyone who has tried the build with the latest patch, whats the verdict on the graphics overall?

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

User is offline   Moggimus 

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

Are you using Windows 7 SP1? Windows 7 users if you are having trouble running, try and install the Visual Studio 2015 runtime: https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=48145

Yes, and I have that version of Visual C++ 2015.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The glitches like flickering wall sprites are really distracting, along with the noisy bump maps to a lesser degree, but damn does it look clean and pretty otherwise!

Give people the option to toggle off certain effects like the glowing demon eyes and I don't see anyone having any issues :P

I have updated the public github repository to P4 rev 509, which is the full source code for the Test 2 patch 1 build.

View Postmoggimus, on 24 July 2016 - 09:14 PM, said:

Yes, and I have that version of Visual C++ 2015.

Alright let me look into this issue further.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 July 2016 - 10:03 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

You really are doing the work of a God! Looks amazing. Keep up the awesome work! Love seeing the progress being made. :P

User is online   0815Jack 

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 July 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

I have updated the public github repository to P4 rev 509, which is the full source code for the Test 2 patch 1 build.

Alright let me look into this issue further.

I can confirm this issue with my windows 64x sp1 and VB 2015 installed.....

User is offline   neoacix 

Awesome work ICD!

I just wanna throu in that Vulcan API has been released for C++ now.
And AMD + NVIDIA are shiping new drivers, so...
Are you going to port this to Vulcan some day or have you droped this idea?

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

Please remove URL tags from images that are expandable/full-size images.

That is all.

User is offline   Jmoc 

I ran the test build, but it was a slideshow of pictures which crashed after 10 secs. It seems that Windows 10 doesn't recognize my card as usual, even if for some not updated apps is still completely fine.

Intel i5 2410m 2.30GHz
Intel HD3000
Windows 10

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostJmoc, on 25 July 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

Intel HD3000
It's not a video card, it's a toaster.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Intel HD3000
Windows 10

I believe these two things do not go well together because Intel has not released drivers that allow themselves to be used under Windows 10, unless you recompile our exe to not include Win10 in the manifest.

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostHendricks266, on 25 July 2016 - 11:09 AM, said:

I believe these two things do not go well together because Intel has not released drivers that allow themselves to be used under Windows 10, unless you recompile our exe to not include Win10 in the manifest.

Yeah I know, I was the one who removed it from the manifest.
I'm just interested as I can still run Team Fortress 2 at a very reasonable compromise between quality and performance!

• Polymancer

Mr. Carmack once refered to Intel GPU's as graphics DE-celerators.

User is offline   Kathy 

Because they aren't about graphics or gaming.

I ran the test build, but it was a slideshow of pictures which crashed after 10 secs. It seems that Windows 10 doesn't recognize my card as usual, even if for some not updated apps is still completely fine.

Intel i5 2410m 2.30GHz
Intel HD3000
Windows 10

Try lowering your desktop resolution(the game makes the window the sizeof the desktop, yes this is stupid, but how it is right now), and see how this affects performance. I don't have a Intel integrated chip to test this on, but my initial guess is your chip is ROP bound(there are just too many passes, with too many pixels to process). You might get "some" increase in performance by decreasing the resolution, but you really need a full GPU to run PolymerNG. There is optimization work I need to do, but I'm not sure how well it will scale to your hardware.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 25 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

User is offline   HiPolyBash 

Will we see more Duke PolymerNG in the near future or are you going to continue focusing on Shadow Warrior? Looks awesome so far. :P

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Tried loading it up. Starts fine. Plays very smooth (from what I can tell in the first room). Noticed some flickering of something or other outside. But I couldn't go any further because I could not figure out a way to enable joystick look Y-Inversion. How do I do this? I can't play like this. Also I tried going into the menu (which I activated successfully with Esc) but I couldn't go back one level out of the menu. In fact, I could figure out no way to escape the menu and go back to the game at all. I had to force quit the game from task manager.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 08 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Anything new to report in the last couple of weeks?

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options