Duke4.net Forums: Blood corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood corner  "For Blood 1 & 2 related talk."

User is offline   Loke 

Happy birthday Blood! 20 years, amazing.

User is offline   Romulus 

It's even more fun now that I've managed to get Gravis Ultrasound working for Blood with proper drivers for DOSBox.

And it slipped my mind, Happy 20th Anniversary to Blood. Here's hoping that the source code for it will be released.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 30 May 2017 - 04:25 PM

My biggest issue with Blood is that it takes the RPS-style of weapon balancing a bit TOO seriously, like, some enemies are simply very hard or just plain impossible to kill without the right weapons, and the game itself is quite a bit harder than Duke3D. The ghosts for example are only vulnerable to bullets and I couldn't figure out how to kill them without ammo for those weapons.

In Duke there's also RPS but it doesn't stop you from killing a fat commander with a pistol if you so choose (or are forced to). :P

I disagree that Blood's sawn-off is equivalent to Duke's shotgun, BTW. Duke's shotgun is a far more versatile weapon. In Blood, using the sawn-off against gargoyles is a waste of ammo, and gargoyles themselves are mid-tier. In Duke, mid-tier enemies can be dealt with using shotgun fairly easily without spending too much ammo.

When it comes to the Holy Trinity, I really believe Duke nailed it with the weapons and the other games have inferior balance due to trying to needlessly reinvent the wheel, but then it might be because I haven't learned to play them well, while I've been playing Duke for more than two decades.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 30 May 2017 - 11:03 PM

For me, it's Duke>Blood>Shadow Warrior.

Duke is the most balanced and aesthetically pleasing one of them all. The levels are pretty good (aside from The Abyss), the weapons are useful (except Tripmine), and the enemies are fun to fight (except Slimers and their eggs). Blood is thematically strong and has a very good weapon kit, but suffers from high difficulty due to the very accurate hitscan Cultists being everywhere. I find Shadow Warrior to be the weakest one because the art feels all over the place. It's not as hard as Blood, but the levels are more confusing than Blood's (even though some Blood levels require more than 3 keys), and the weapons/enemies are really unbalanced. Some weapons like the Sticky Bombs and Ripper Heart feels pointless and the gadgets like Caltrops and Smoke Bomb aren't that useful outside multiplayer and the enemies aren't as much fun to fight (especially the Bees).

The Postmortem (A Blood fansite and that Jace Hall registered on the forums) is gone. Is it no more? Will it come back?

User is online   Tekedon 

Playing a small part of my old map "Swamp Castle" with Blood GDX.

This post has been edited by Tekedon: 31 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   Nokiaman 

Great port! Sadly I get erratic frame times like the ones I used to have with eDuke32 so while I have 60 FPS it's not really smooth, but otherwise all this needs is widescreen support, CD music (Steam/GOG ship ogg music in root) and it's 10/10

This post has been edited by Nokiaman: 31 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

User is offline   Psycho87 

Nothing from Jace, it seems :P

User is offline   axl 

View PostPsycho87, on 31 May 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

Nothing from Jace, it seems :P

This is indeed sad... it's not even mentioned somewhere... talk about an underrated game... what a major disappointment.

Let's hope the Bombshell prequel can put back some interest to the Build games.

This post has been edited by axl: 31 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

Since The Postmortem is dead. How is Jace gonna reach out to the Blood fans online? It would be nice if he registers on Duke4.net's forums and communicates with us. Is there a Blood website that's on par w/ Duke4.net?

User is offline   axl 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 31 May 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Since The Postmortem is dead. How is Jace gonna reach out to the Blood fans online? It would be nice if he registers on Duke4.net's forums and communicates with us. Is there a Blood website that's on par w/ Duke4.net?

There are a few sites left. You can find an overview here: http://blood-wiki.or...x.php/Main_Page

For example: http://www.bloodline.eu/index.php

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostDustFalcon85, on 31 May 2017 - 05:57 PM, said:

Since The Postmortem is dead.

It's not dead, it's just taking a productive break. Although I know what you mean.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 01 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

Sent another tweet to Jace yesterday, but as expected I got no response :P

User is offline   Master O 

From an outsider's perspective, I can't possibly understand why Jace won't release the source code. I understand the business angle with Atari not wanting to let the IP go, but can't Jace see the thriving communities for the FPS-es that are open source?

Releasing the source code just seems like a no-brainer to everyone.

Doom and Doom 2 are open source.
Heretic and Hexen and are open source.
Strife's recreated source code is open source.
Duke3D is open source.
Shadow Warrior is open source.
Descent 1 and 2 are open source (but not Descent 3).

I can only scratch my head. I simply don't get it. What else could there possibly be from Jace's perspective to keep the source for a 20-year old FPS closed?

This post has been edited by Master O: 01 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

View PostMaster O, on 01 June 2017 - 05:10 PM, said:

From an outsider's perspective, I can't possibly understand why Jace won't release the source code. I understand the business angle with Atari not wanting to let the IP go, but can't Jace see the thriving communities for the FPS-es that are open source?

Releasing the source code just seems like a no-brainer to everyone.

Doom and Doom 2 are open source.
Heretic and Hexen and are open source.
Strife's recreated source code is open source.
Duke3D is open source.
Shadow Warrior is open source.
Descent 1 and 2 are open source (but not Descent 3).

I can only scratch my head. I simply don't get it. What else could there possibly be from Jace's perspective to keep the source for a 20-year old FPS closed?

Things change when you have millions on the line.

User is offline   Master O 

View Posticecoldduke, on 01 June 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

Things change when you have millions on the line.

Millions on the line for a 20 year old FPS that few remember (outside of FPS circles)? If there were a Blood 3, you could make that argument that you'd have millions on the line, but for the original Blood, I'm not seeing it.

User is offline   Lord_Kane 

View PostMaster O, on 01 June 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

Millions on the line for a 20 year old FPS that few remember (outside of FPS circles)? If there were a Blood 3, you could make that argument that you'd have millions on the line, but for the original Blood, I'm not seeing it.

Atari seems to think there are millions on the line when it comes to blood, god knows why.

View PostLord_Kane, on 01 June 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

Atari seems to think there are millions on the line when it comes to blood, god knows why.

Atari the publisher is quite the greedy company without a penchant for understanding customers. My experience with them has been quite frustrating, and they used to shoot down people who complained of their poor support at their forums, too.

Take the Steam version of Blood, for example. It's just a repackaged GOG install. Minimal effort on their part, all for the money, as they know they won't get many sales out of it so they just went the cheap route.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 01 June 2017 - 11:34 PM

User is offline   axl 

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 01 June 2017 - 11:26 PM, said:

Atari the publisher is quite the greedy company without a penchant for understanding customers. My experience with them has been quite frustrating, and they used to shoot down people who complained of their poor support at their forums, too.

Take the Steam version of Blood, for example. It's just a repackaged GOG install. Minimal effort on their part, all for the money, as they knwo they won't get many sales out of it so they just went the cheap route.

What I don't understand is why they don't just release the source code... it's of no use to them AND it would probably increase the sales of the steam / GOG version... The Duke and Doom communities are probably still alive because of the release of the source code... Atari is just sitting on old IP and doing nothing with it... quite frustrating.

View Postaxl, on 01 June 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

What I don't understand is why they don't just release the source code... it's of no use to them AND it would probably increase the sales of the steam / GOG version... The Duke and Doom communities are probably still alive because of the release of the source code... Atari is just sitting on old IP and doing nothing with it... quite frustrating.

Because they know there's people out there like Jace who might just give into the high price tag and buy it.

View PostMaster O, on 01 June 2017 - 07:04 PM, said:

Your not getting it. If it costs Jace $1 million or more to buy back the ip from Atari then millions are on the line, and Jace needs to think about how to get that money back. Now if he thinks he can make that money back, by creating a shovelware port of the game, then I think hes crazy. What I'm hoping is, he gets a good investment group to back a new blood game, they push out the shovelware port, and release the source code for the original game. That IMO is the smart thing to do.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 02 June 2017 - 07:36 AM

Has it been confirmed whether it's Atari or Warner Bros. who are the current holders of the IP? If it's Warner, they'll never sell it.

Either way, for Jace to invest 1 million USD in acquiring the rights, he has to be able to profit from it somehow, otherwise it's simply not worth it for him. A source code release might make new people buy the game, but it won't be nearly enough to pay the debt.

That is, unless he teams up with someone to sell an updated port of Blood a la Megaton, Classic Redux or WT, which would require more expenses and risk evaluation.

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 02 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostDuke of Hazzard, on 02 June 2017 - 08:33 AM, said:

Has it been confirmed whether it's Atari or Warner Bros. who are the current holders of the IP? If it's Warner, they'll never sell it.

Either way, for Jace to invest 1 million USD in acquiring the rights, he has to be able to profit from it somehow, otherwise it's simply not worth it for him. A source code release might make new people buy the game, but it won't be nearly enough to pay the debt.

That is, unless he teams up with someone to sell an updated port of Blood a la Megaton, Classic Redux or WT, which would require more expenses and risk evaluation.

The Blood games were published by GT Interactive, which is now part of Atari. So I think it's Atari who owns the IP now, unless there's some exchange that I didn't know about.

User is offline   Mark 

Here we go again. :P This kind of thing, who owns what has taken up dozens of pages in multiple threads. Somebody that follows this stuff closely should gather up what is known for certain on all these Build games and companies and produce a list or flow chart. Then put it in a sticky thread for everyone to look at when they wonder about it.

Can we assume the secret Blood project is still ongoing? Jace would say something if it died, no?

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I think he would stay quiet if it died and stay quiet if it was suppose to be a surprise. Why say something if you are going to disappoint people when you could just quietly brush it aside?

We already know they started a Blood related project about a year ago, so he wouldn't be spoiling any surprises by just telling us they're still working on it. Whatever 'it' may be.

And if the project died, staying quiet would be quite the asshole move after having teased us with those photos from about a year ago. I don't believe he would do that, given that he also informed us about the failed negotiations with Atari several years ago.

User is offline   axl 

New version of BloodGDX released ! v0.766

http://m210.duke4.net/

User is offline   Spiker 

Inventory pickups don't play sound at all now and they don't disappear after picking them up. I've completed 4 episodes and had no crashes and everything but ROR display worked fine.

To those who beat Blood 2... how the hell did you do it?

Been trying to beat this game for who knows how long and I still can't do it on Normal. I find myself wasting all my ammo trying to hit Bone Leechs/Spiders because they're so small, sticks on the floor (usually underwater), and the game is so dark I can't see shit (even worse if they're underwater because the water texture blocks it). Being latched on by one of them is pretty much game over since they're a pain to get off, but having no ammo while facing those Soul Drudges are problematic too.

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options