• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood corner  "For Blood 1 & 2 related talk."

User is offline   axl 

View Posticecoldduke, on 08 May 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

I would challenge you(or anyone) to play BloomCM and BloodGDX back to back. I doubt you guys could tell the difference(besides BloomCM is more complete :(). I do hope that Jace shares the source code with the community. I would buy the ineviditable steam shovelware port if it included the source code.

haha, challenge accepted ! Now let us await the release and let us hope that you're wrong and that this "port" is the next best thing ;-)

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I wonder why M210 chose Java/libGDX to build the recreation upon over established open-source implementations of the Build engine?

On a side note, I should say that for a person with very limited experience in coding like me, projects like BloodGDX seem to make a pretty strong point in favour of reverse-engineering as a means of accurately recreating the behaviour of old games on modern systems. There are already several successful recreations based on this method, including, OpenDUNE, OpenFodder, SDLPoP, Omnispeak, while OpenTTD and ScummVM are at least partially based on reverse-engineering IIRC. Also somewhat related is NY00123's DOS game executable recreation project which allows to produce compiled binaries from available and modified sources of certain games that are byte-by-byte identical to the original releases of respective titles.

I wonder if executable reverse-engineering is indeed the way to port old titles to modern systems? Previously I heard opinions that while this is doable, besides possible copyright infringement concerns it requires too much effort to be worth it, and/or generally not feasible because of the complexity of such task. However, projects like those listed above seem to prove that this is not the case?

View PostMrFlibble, on 10 May 2017 - 07:32 AM, said:

I wonder why M210 chose Java/libGDX to build the recreation upon over established open-source implementations of the Build engine?

Every time I visit this topic, I wonder the same thing :(.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 10 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

I remember asking here a few years ago if EDuke32 would benefit from a Blood source code release and someone (I think it was TerminX) told me that the answer would probably be negative due to the way certain things like TROR are implemented in Blood compared to other Build games and EDuke32 itself. So they probably could've started with EDuke32 for example, but they wouldn't get the pinpoint accuracy that they're probably aiming for.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You misinterpreted the response because your question wasn't clear enough. He assumed you were asking if there is anything from the Blood source code that could be used to augment Duke Nukem 3D modding features, and the answer is no. This has no relation to our engine being a worthy target for other Build games. In fact, it is the target to use.

If Blood's source was released, it could be added to EDuke32. This should go without saying...

User is offline   BloodGuy 

GREAT STUFF GOES ON ON THE INTERNET!!!

Greeaaaaaat stuffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostBloodGuy, on 12 May 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

Greeaaaaaat stuffff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image
This is really stiff and not fluid like Blood is.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Not every game needs an HD remake. I'd be much happier with a proper port for the original game.

User is offline   supergoofy 

some hd remakes tend to ruin the original atmosphere of the game.

User is offline   m210® 

Hi there! :( I made a beta release of my BloodGDX
http://m210.duke4.ne...ava/50-bloodgdx
Enjoy :(

User is offline   axl 

View PostM210, on 19 May 2017 - 03:58 AM, said:

Great news ! Gonna check it out as soon as I'm home !

User is offline   Lunick 

The sound is really buggy for me and sometimes constantly repeats (even if I turn sounds off) but other than that I think it is impressive.

User is offline   axl 

The sound is indeed really buggy... but... damn... this is impressive !!

This post has been edited by axl: 19 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

A changelist would be nice :).

A friend of mine was having trouble with the beta, it was crashing on launch.
Some investigation led to it being discovered that the cause was an UnsatisfiedLinkError for OpenAL.

The solution for those encountering this issue is as follows:

1. Create a folder within your Blood directory called "bin"
2. Open up BloodGDX.jar with 7-zip, WinRAR, etc. (it's just a zip file)
3. Open up gdx-backend-lwjgl-natives.jar inside BloodGDX.jar and extract its contents into the bin folder
4. Create a batch file in your Blood directory with the following contents:

@echo off
java -Djava.library.path=bin -jar BloodGDX.jar

5. Use that batch file to launch the game

User is offline   Lord_Kane 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 19 May 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

Some investigation led to it being discovered that the cause was an UnsatisfiedLinkError for OpenAL.

3. Open up gdx-backend-lwjgl-natives.jar inside BloodGDX.jar and extract its contents into the bin folder

@echo off

This also fixed the sound not working period for me.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Thanks a lot
I'll be donating a small bit as a small thanks

User is offline   Loke 

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 19 May 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

@echo off

Yeah, I had the same issue. This fixed it. Thanks man.

User is offline   Mark 

View Postsupergoofy, on 13 May 2017 - 09:07 AM, said:

some hd remakes tend to ruin the original atmosphere of the game.

It may be different from the original atmosphere but I really like it anyway. I'm a huge fan of HD remakes. I downloaded M210's project. I'll be playing shortly. I've loved all the previous ones so far so this should be just as good. Oops. Maybe I won't be playing yet. I have the shareware Blood only. I think I gave the full game to a brother many years ago. :(

This post has been edited by Mark.: 19 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Really awesome stuff M210; enjoying the hell out of it and can't wait to try out the other expansion and custom maps with it!
The only gameplay issue I'm encountering is mouse aiming; if I turn just horizontally, the aim will go up and then down as if I was drawing hills, no matter how straight I keep my horizontal aiming. Turning off mouse aiming makes the mouse move the character forward and back and I don't want that, plus I'd then be relying on the auto aim which I want to avoid. Turning off slope, tilt, etc etc doesn't change it.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 19 May 2017 - 03:00 PM

User is offline   BloodGuy 

It's really awesome! Needed to do the workaround LOKE but then it worked good. Sound had no problem at all.
Really really great work!

User is offline   MrEWhite 

Amazing! Only issues I had is the sound and the kinda janky mouse movement on the Y axis.

Besides the fact sounds don't seem to work for me, the FPS on my end is over 2700FPS, and thus my GPU got to around 67C before I stopped.

I hope it wouldn't hurt to ask for an FPS cap/VSync, something like that, so we don't risk heating our GPUs up more than we should from the game. :V

EDIT: Okay, so that one idea where you extract from the main .jar worked, but I still have like 3000-3200FPS, so yeah, I think I'm gonna have to have an FPS cap option before I can really play it extensively. >.>;

This post has been edited by Lord Misfit: 19 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

I made a quick patch to enable VSync.

User is offline   Spiker 

I can't run it :(

Spoiler

View PostSpiker, on 19 May 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

I can't run it :(

Spoiler

Head over to the link in my post just above yours and apply the first fix mentioned in the thread

User is offline   Spiker 

Thanks! Can you you run it in full-screen or only windowed mode?

User is offline   axl 

View PostSpiker, on 19 May 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

You can run the beta in full screen, but there is, at the moment, no widescreen support.

User is offline   m210® 

I updated my port a bit....You can add fps limit, vsync and disable sound/music driver now in bloodgdx.ini
For disable sound, search NoSound = 0 and change it to 1, and added NoMusic, FPSLimit, VSync.

FPSLimit and VSync will broke interpolation!

This post has been edited by M210: 20 May 2017 - 12:06 AM

User is offline   m210® 

View PostSpiker, on 19 May 2017 - 11:10 PM, said:

For fullscreen, you need to set it in options and choose supported resolution.

Share this topic:

• 33 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options