• You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   Malgon 

I thought that picture looked familiar (check out the time at 1:29):

Of course, you did say apparently! ;)

User is online   Lunick 

Map Jam 8 has been released http://www.celephais...ad.php?id=61365

User is offline   LkMax 

A urban themed map in quake that doens't suck visually? I'll have to check this out.

Found a nice little website with some concept art from Q4 and ETQW. Anyone know where these pieces were first shown?

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Arcane Dimensions 1.5 is out.
Posted Image

User is offline   Bloodshot 

There's coop spawns in the maps now and a shit ton of new maps

User is offline   HulkNukem 

That is one sexy looking map

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Whats it running on?

I've been using Quakespasm, which feels pretty faithful to the original look of the game with the benefits of some modern features.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Imgur album of the above two screenshots since 4chan is screwy sometimes

A new patch for Arcane Dimensions is out. Also, there's a lengthy interview with the creators over at Mapcore.
Posted Image

Some of you work or have worked in game industry and others just enjoy modding as a hobby. What keeps you working on Quake? Do you think Quake modding will eventually end?

Maik: I have been doing mods since Quake was released in 1996 (hey fransen!), my interest only slept for some years after that, but the needle still stuck when I rediscovered the Quake scene in 2008/2009. And me coming from an architectural background, I’m always happy to produce more brushes. I had several offers by now to work as a Level Designer, but my courage leaves me… And I don’t want to move just now, it’s such a nice place here (Berlin).

Noel: I have not, and will probably never work in the game industry. It’s a hobby that occasionally borders on obsession, but it’s still fun. I imagine that working in the game industry could very easily become a joyless slog without the independence that developing in my own time creates. Plus, I do imagine my chosen field pays better. Quake was the first FPS game I ever played, and it’s arcane, mysterious nature keeps calling me. It’s relatively simple nature, where one person can create an entire level on their own, and in a relatively reasonable timeframe. All things end though. However, while the amount of players may be in steep decline, the amount of creators seems to be climbing slightly. Arcane Dimensions, the Map Jams, combined with Twitch, seem to have generated a lot of interest in Quake.

Simon: I enjoy modding for Quake because it feels like what I make has more impact. When working in the AAA games industry your work can often be just a small cog in a giant machine and it is often hard to point a finger at exactly what you did. Quake modding is from a time when development teams were smaller and everyone had to wear many different hats with different skill sets. Quake modding might be useful for indie developers because it does require multiple skills and an understanding of different parts of game development.

Gavin: I have never worked in the games industry per se but I have been making custom content for as long as I can remember. I am of the belief that anyone can enter the industry, they simply require the passion and technical skill to achieve their goals. The Quake community will always remain in one form or another. Modding is also an excellent step on the road to becoming a professional game developer!

Posted Image

User is online   Lunick 

Retro Jam 6 - Egyptian

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The first screen is my map :>

User is online   Lunick 

It's quite funny how the classic game communities overlap, I've definitely seen some of your Quake work before, most recently your Fiend model being included in NightFright's Authentic Model Improvement Pack (he sure organises a lot of stuff for various communities).

So I was out shopping at a Wal-Mart earlier and saw Enemy Territory: Quake Wars priced at $52.96!!! I thought WTF, I bought 6 six other games there cheaper than ETQW. The system it was for was the Xbox 360. It seems really odd why an obscure game would be so high in price. I mean is it any good?

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 14 January 2017 - 05:51 AM, said:

So I was out shopping at a Wal-Mart earlier and saw Enemy Territory: Quake Wars priced at $52.96!!! I thought WTF, I bought 6 six other games there cheaper than ETQW. The system it was for was the Xbox 360. It seems really odd why an obscure game would be so high in price. I mean is it any good?

I'd say it's the best version of the "Enemy Territory" format of games.

• Polymancer

It's a brilliant game. Lots of fun on a LAN.

I wouldn't say 52 bucks worth though.

EDIT: saw the platform. Xbox 360? Can you create your own lobby? If not, are the MP servers still running for that? You have to pay for XBL on top of that?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 14 January 2017 - 10:16 AM

User is online   Lunick 

Quetoo...? http://steamcommunit...s/?id=850566384

I can absolutely respect that it's free 2 play and not people trying to just cash in on more shady Steam practices; all depending on what the micro transaction scene looks like at least.

• Polymancer

So I can just release a Quake mod-mash-up on Greenlight?

That Arcane Dimensions looks fekin amazing.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 30 January 2017 - 01:36 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostLunick, on 29 January 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

It has a map straight from Quake 2, literally.

http://images.akamai...und-color=black

I can hear a lawsuit on the horizon, id is Zenimax property after all, and if there's someone with a lawsuit fetish it's Zenimax.

View PostLkMax, on 30 January 2017 - 04:54 AM, said:

It has a map straight from Quake 2, literally.

http://images.akamai...und-color=black

I can hear a lawsuit on the horizon, id is Zenimax property after all, and if there's someone with a lawsuit fetish it's Zenimax.

The Quake engine is open source, including the QuakeC code for all the game's logic. I think most of the art assets have community replacements (.mdl files, textures, sounds, soundtrack, etc).

Other than maps/levels, you could freely release or sell a Quake replacement with what is there. But if they're commercially selling a Quake map, that is against the law.

Or someone could make a FREEDOOM-type project using the community made textures/models where people could play community maps without needing to buy Quake 1 anymore.

User is offline   LkMax 

I think the map comes with the game, and the game is technically free, but with so many similarities with quake and quake 2 (maps and player models come to mind) it's a possibility, although a lawsuit might not be worth it since it doesn't carry the name Quake itself and they are not a big company that can settle for a good amount of money.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 30 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Quake sucks. It's soulless garbage. Unreal is way better.

User is offline   Kawa 

View PostPerson of Color, on 30 January 2017 - 11:37 PM, said:

Quake sucks. It's soulless garbage. Unreal is way better.
Fight me.

Not because I want to defend Quake, but because I need an excuse and you just gave me one.

User is online   Lunick 

Posted Image

Sad news. Jan Paul van Waveren, programmer of id and creator of the Gladiator and Omicron bots, has passed away. :P

"Jan Paul van Waveren passed away today. The best developer I ever worked with, my right hand, and a good friend. It was an honor." - John Carmack

Have you guys heard? Tim Willits beat Randy Pitchford in a Quakeworld match during DICE 2017. Might have something to do with Tim playing on his own map :V

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 24 February 2017 - 08:28 AM

I'm upset I missed out on Quake online deathmatch when it was brand new.
I was only 7-8 years old, and the closest me and my brother got was playing Goldeneye or Turok 2, and playing Doom 1/2 over LAN.
We did play the N64 Quake deathmatch however, though all we really did was play the map with the thundergun and water trap and just jump in and instagib the other player.

Not exactly Quake 1, but Spike updated hammer of Thyrion with BSP2 support

I'm making a little mod for Hexen 2, modifying the game of tomes mod that was made for it recently

Bridge destruction test

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Keep in mind some of the vids are a little outdated

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options