Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is online   Lunick 

City 2000
Posted Image

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Posted Image

Quake Nukem 3D! :angry:

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 14 May 2016 - 02:19 AM

It's things like these that makes me wonder how the DNF modding/mapping scene would be had it been released on Q2/UT engine, and what would happen to the DN3D scene.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The Duke 3D modding scene would definitely be smaller, not sure how much since I'm not familiar with the ease of use of the quake 2 tools. I do think there are people who make Duke 3D maps because it's the only Duke FPS you can make content for.

Plus there are several limitations of the 2.5D nature of the engine. Even with perfect TROR and (hypothetically) added WOW, having things like sloped walls aren't all that feasible, and even simple thinks like rotating textures on walls or scaling textures on floors isn't possible.

All the early builds, no matter how incomplete, would be nice to dissect and play. They must be out there somewhere, right?

There would have been more of a modding scene had an editor been provided as was originally promised.

https://web.archive....www.dukeed.com/

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 14 May 2016 - 06:34 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMicky C, on 14 May 2016 - 04:53 AM, said:

The Duke 3D modding scene would definitely be smaller, not sure how much since I'm not familiar with the ease of use of the quake 2 tools. I do think there are people who make Duke 3D maps because it's the only Duke FPS you can make content for.

Plus there are several limitations of the 2.5D nature of the engine. Even with perfect TROR and (hypothetically) added WOW, having things like sloped walls aren't all that feasible, and even simple thinks like rotating textures on walls or scaling textures on floors isn't possible.

I can confirm. I'm one of them.

Oh, Don't forget particles, multiplayer, shaders that work, etc. etc. etc.

This isn't the point of this thread, but there should have been another game released between DNF and DN3D. If nothing else, then 3DR (in it's old form) would probably have released the source after a few years. That would mean that a lot of the funky Quake 2 source port improvements could have been ported to the DNF Q2 codebase.

Sigh.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 14 May 2016 - 06:55 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostPikaCommando, on 14 May 2016 - 04:36 AM, said:

It's things like these that makes me wonder how the DNF modding/mapping scene would be had it been released on Q2/UT engine...

I don't even want to think about it. Shit makes me depressed.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostTea Monster, on 14 May 2016 - 06:55 AM, said:

If nothing else, then 3DR (in it's old form) would probably have released the source after a few years. That would mean that a lot of the funky Quake 2 source port improvements could have been ported to the DNF Q2 codebase.

Duke3d's source code was released very late, so I wouldn't have hold my breath for that.

For a while they kept saying it wasn't going to happen.

User is offline   leilei 

Quake2 and Half-Life (ESPECIALLY Half-Life) siphoned plenty of the scene away anyhow. There's no big "what if?!" here.

Besides it's all radiant entity pathing choreography and the footage seen are probably the only least wonky places in its entire development of that incarnation.

This post has been edited by leilei: 15 May 2016 - 05:05 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

After the source of Quake and/or Quake II was released, has anyone ever attempted to create a game that would be similar enough to Duke3D/hypothetical DNF aesthetically and gameplay wise without actually infringing any copyrights? Or has 3D Realms hunted down and C&D'd anything remotely resemblant of their IP, mods/TCs included?

Personally I think it would be an interesting experiment if the Duke community gave the game a twist and created something completely original but paying homage to Duke and sticking to the same design principles.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

In terms of community projects, only Transfusion comes to mind (Blood, rather than Duke 3D), but I've never tried it. SiN is Duke-like and that runs on Quake 2.

I do like your idea. As time goes on I become less and less willing to invest creative effort into projects (mods) using IPs that I do not control or am not getting paid for.

Dick Kickem 3D on the Quake 2 engine?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Cam Nash: Extraction Point?

User is offline   leilei 

Around 2008 I was working on "Dave4" inspired by both of the early DNF trailers. Since i'm not a mapper, it was all boxy test rooms at best, and to be honest it wasn't looking good or getting very far (only by myself).

- It used Darkplaces
- It had a very buggy drivable boat that disappears. I was toying around making drivable vehicles around this time.
- It had a blobby normal mapped gold deagle model made from scratch that shot in a DNF99-ish way
- It had a very simple looking M4 rifle without an americanflag scope. That's the only second weapon
- There was also some sort of OICW-ish rifle thing that transformed into a 4 barrel chaingun on altfire
- The only character ingame is actually Neko from OA0. Static T-pose catgirls everywhere.
- There are also burning barrels.
- Semi-working mirrors
- A dark room with two crazy spinning colored spotlights exists
- No Quake or Duke materials exist, apart from inspiration.
- I realized I was massively wasting my time when I could make something that players actually care about *cough*OA*cough*. Only 2 weeks' worth of spare time was ever put into it.

It's dead. It's considered legally destroyed. Don't ask. Don't resume. Don't bother. Don't even "behalf" this. Make your own and be original; it'll be better (Have your own ideas and universe and do homages with just gameplay mechanics alone, like SiN and Half-Life did). I'd advise against using Quake2 though, that's clunky as shit and the improved source ports aren't any better for a clean base.

Also a project of this scope requires an artistic visionary with technical art experience to make it work. A "let's make GPL Free Software Clone of X have a tux or two and use MakeHuman to make our character's" ideas guy will not cut it.

Enjoy these screenshits. If they whet your appetite, then you're interpreting them wrong.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: freeway.jpg
  • Attached Image: deagle.jpg
  • Attached Image: deaglefiring.jpg
  • Attached Image: boats.jpg
  • Attached Image: diemirror.jpg
  • Attached Image: what.gif

This post has been edited by leilei: 15 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

User is online   Lunick 

Posted Image
The Hall of Dread

View PostLunick, on 15 May 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

I thought it was the Quake rendition of cs_mansion before reading the name

Posted Image

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 15 May 2016 - 09:23 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostPikaCommando, on 15 May 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

I thought it was the Quake rendition of cs_mansion before reading the name

Haha. I was thinking of the exact same thing.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

So, there's been a Doom 4. Will there be a Quake 5?

• The Sarien Encounter

If there is, hopefully it'll be better than Quake 4 in like manner as Doom 4 is better than Doom 3.

User is offline   leilei 

i'd rather see a new dangerous dave than a quake tbh

with dave they could ash him and take him into what quake used to be with wit and personality to contrast against the marine in hell trope

and kids love alliterative names these days!!! and since it's a 23 years dormant franchise, it's perfect to bait the pretentious retro dorks into the market demographic, because "only 90 kid rember this" AND the younger "dave is softdisk the beta's name for iD (pronounce Eye Dee) software" folk

This post has been edited by leilei: 16 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

They should. Then we can all focus on that game instead of Gearbox's Duke Nukem

View Postleilei, on 16 May 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

and kids love alliterative names these days!!! folk

But who doesn't love alliterative names?

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View Postdeuxsonic, on 15 May 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

Dick Kickem 3D on the Quake 2 engine?

That name reminds me of the "Dick Nickem Whenever" Unreal TC I was working on way back when, before I got a C&D notice from Siegler.

View PostDuke Rocks, on 17 May 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

That name reminds me of the "Dick Nickem Whenever" Unreal TC I was working on way back when, before I got a C&D notice from Siegler.

What was his catchphrase?

User is offline   leilei 

maybe it's "heck! i'm appearing attractive"

"blessed excrement"

"may your diety put you in the right place"

"does anyone desire to recieve a violent object"

"darn! The extra-terrestrial's illegitimate offspring owes me money for damaging my escape pod"

"here is five dollars. please gyrate your hips and move your breasts for my pleasure"

This post has been edited by leilei: 17 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

I'm here to gum out all of bubble, and I'm ass gum and kick chew.

User is online   Lunick 

I'd only accept a new Quake if it would mean they'd start making some classic merchandise again.

They had another developer doing the Wolfenstein stuff. I have this feeling like id and the other Zenimax studios will just make DOOM/Quake/Wolfenstein games the way Call of Duty games are made. I can't see any of the pre-Wolfenstein IPs ever seeing the light of day again. If they make another Quake, it's going to be the Quake 2/4/ET storyline. That's kind of a war thing so I can see that becoming like a Call of Duty game.

The other thing I could see is like when Monolith created Touchdown solely to develop LithTech. They could become the technology side and they'll have their other studios make the games (they weren't real happy with id's progress on this DOOM anyway.)

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 17 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

View PostLunick, on 17 May 2016 - 05:02 PM, said:

I'd only accept a new Quake if it would mean they'd start making some classic merchandise again.
Do you remember when ReSaurus made the Quake II characters? On their site back then, they said they were also making some Quake 1 characters, had prototype images up etc, but never did make them.

MrBlackCat

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options