• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

Cataractnacon / Zeangala

User is offline   deuxsonic 

View PostLunick, on 20 March 2016 - 05:13 PM, said:

Very nice. I watched this recently and found it interesting. It's also kind of an abstract design, where the map starts doing some interesting things like leaning and going in a circle and using columns of water to get between places.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

All of this remind me that I still need to make a Quake level in the near future.

Hey guys, is it Operation Overlord or Descent into Cerberon that is the CD track for the first level (base1)? Some source ports use the former while others like YamagiQ2 uses the latter.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Whichever one is not the first music track is for the first level.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

Operation Overlord is the first audio track (track 2) on the Quake II CD but it isn't the first music track used in single player. Descent Into Cerberon (track 9) is, so any port that does otherwise has the order mixed up.

User is offline   ---- 

Well, this post is semi-OT for the Quake corner.

I once remade a Quake (or Q2 or Q3A) map for UT2004. The funny thing is, that I have absolutely no idea which map it is, because I never played Quake much and I remade it from another remake for UT from 1999 (Author got credits, of course).

Maybe someone recognizes it and can tell me which map it is (from the layout. the map only uses assets UT2004 and some I made myself).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The map has 2 secret areas. One which was inspired by a little mod from DN3D that was on one of the various Duke-Level-CDS back in the day. It boosts your health when the strippers showed their boobies,

If anybody is interested. It can be downloaded here:
http://fuegerstef.co...-sacrifice2.zip

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 22 March 2016 - 02:00 AM

User is offline   leilei 

It's Majesty.

User is offline   ---- 

View Postleilei, on 22 March 2016 - 07:27 AM, said:

It's Majesty.

Thanks a lot. :whistling:

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I'm back to making that thing

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 24 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

That was quite a struggle.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Not sure if this could be useful/interesting to anyone, but a while ago I discovered that the source code of Eternal War: Shadows of Light can be downloaded from the Wayback Machine copy of the developer's website:

The game is based on the Telejano fork of the Quake engine.

There's also this file which I think is intended to be used with a map editor for Quake to create custom levels for Eternal War.

Does anyone remember the Quake2Max port of Quake 2? What ever happened to that? I thought that was rather slick back in the day.

User is offline   t800 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 07 April 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

Does anyone remember the Quake2Max port of Quake 2? What ever happened to that? I thought that was rather slick back in the day.

Hm, it seems to be abandoned now, as its last update is from 2007. But if you are looking for most graphically advanced port, than I dont think there is any competion to KMQuake2. Only disadvantage is you have to download all hi-res packs separately for it.

BTW do you know any Quake I mods that add gibbable corpses and damage skins for monsters (as in Quake II, when enemy health diminishes, it alters its skin)?

This post has been edited by t800: 13 April 2016 - 12:14 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

https://www.quaddict...ews/wieder.html

Posted Image

I didn't realise Wieder did some Quake maps too, I guess I'm just slow.

User is offline   Lunick 

Former level designer from Splashdamage/Raven Software/Crytek Simon O'Callaghan working on a Quake map https://twitter.com/...118401175883776

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

That last shot is really great. I have a thing for locations set in a sort of under area with a giant city above, especially when the lower area is kinda just hanging at the bottom
The Total Recall reboot had a couple really great visual similar to this
The game Merchants of Brooklyn (renamed Drug Wars for some reason) had some great city visuals
There's an entire hub section in Kingpin set in an underground city

User is offline   Lunick 

Oh, he made a video a few minutes ago haha

• Ancient Blood God

Bet you it won't run in vanilla.

User is offline   Lunick 

It runs with the mod Arcane Dimensions (which he also helped create) which can run with WinQuake unless that is not vanilla enough for you :D

• Ancient Blood God

I forgot what the polygon limit was for a Quake map, but that's clearly exceeding it.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLunick, on 14 April 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

https://www.quaddict...ews/wieder.html

https://www.quaddict...ieder_thumb.jpg

I tried that but.... first map I got stuck at one point, you have to cross a path with a huge pit and lava underneath but there is no bridge? Even rocket jumping wouldn't get me half as far... Couldn't find a switch or anything either.

2nd map you have to find a secret.... that gives you invulnerability, so you can dive inside lava to grab a key during the time you can't get hit.... I found that a little bullshit, but the problem is I couldn't find the door that matched the key?

In both maps supplies placement consists of giving tons of stuff at the player at the start of the map.

The maps could be cool but they're unfinished, and they're not "professional" level design like what he did with Sunstorm.

View PostHulkNukem, on 15 April 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

That last shot is really great. I have a thing for locations set in a sort of under area with a giant city above, especially when the lower area is kinda just hanging at the bottom
The Total Recall reboot had a couple really great visual similar to this
The game Merchants of Brooklyn (renamed Drug Wars for some reason) had some great city visuals
There's an entire hub section in Kingpin set in an underground city

... and in Shadow Warrior Sumo Sky Palace? Though it's not a city I'll give you that.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 April 2016 - 02:24 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostHulkNukem, on 15 April 2016 - 07:34 PM, said:

You might like this: http://vignette2.wik...&path-prefix=en
Hengsha from Deus Ex "2" (actually Human revolution ;D )

View PostLunick, on 14 April 2016 - 03:18 AM, said:

View PostMetHy, on 16 April 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

The maps could be cool but they're unfinished, and they're not "professional" level design like what he did with Sunstorm.

http://www.celephais...9776&end=25
https://www.quaddict.../rev990224.html

Those two maps were my application/test maps I built trying to get hired at Ritual. They were worked on in the evening after working on Wanton Destruction all day at Sunstorm. For timebomb Ritual wanted me to build a "realish setting" with an attempt to inject some sort of plot/story into the mission. Since they were working on Sin at the time, the request was understandable. There were plenty of quake level designers but they needed someone with a Duke Nukem mentality. They saw enough potential they requested another one and asked that I show I could do an entirely different visual style and wanted me to cram as much scripting/puzzles in as possible (thus what became salv.bsp).

So the way it's setup is more of a demo sequence of events trying to be creative with pushing the quake scripting options rather than something intended for a "customer". I was asked to play it in front of them and talk through how things were setup to verify I actually knew it versus just copying someone else.

I lost one of the maps I built when applying to 3DR but a couple of them survived the years. I wasn't good at all when applying to 3DR and it wasn't until Salv that I really started to feel comfortable working in a Quake editor versus build engine editing.

http://gamingisstupi...al-works/quake/
ZIP file... http://gamingisstupi...pplications.zip

Aside from a single CTF map for Quake 2... all of my quake levels were built as job applications.

I tried that but.... first map I got stuck at one point, you have to cross a path with a huge pit and lava underneath but there is no bridge? Even rocket jumping wouldn't get me half as far... Couldn't find a switch or anything either.

After the missile is launched you're supposed to "get out of the facility asap" because the missile has been set to turn around blow up the base. The bridge is scripted to blow up while you are running across it. If you stick around to watch the launch you won't make it out in time. I think even if you do leave right away it's still pretty clunky and unpolished and able to break. Especially if you play in God mode. ;)

The .txt file for some quality 1990's backstory... *blush*
Spoiler

2nd map you have to find a secret.... that gives you invulnerability, so you can dive inside lava to grab a key during the time you can't get hit.... I found that a little bullshit, but the problem is I couldn't find the door that matched the key?

That's one of my favorite puzzles! :D It's also on the same end of punishing the player spectrum as getting the keycards in airplane in Wanton Destruction.

You have to go back up through the lava again, and then there is a second blood pit in the starting area you can drop into using the key to open it up.

More text file background...
Spoiler

More text file background...
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Wieder: 21 April 2016 - 02:18 AM

User is offline   leilei 

I really don't want to toot my own horn but how many of you tried Engoo? It's a software engine that tries to bring in some build game influence among other things

I've abandoned it though since msvc6 debugging is hell on W7x64 and i'm too lazy to get it going on gcc. which could've been fun to see what -flto and pgo would do with my crazy code. I also used to have it running in DOS before.

Also I tried to support the community-proposed QSB standards only to find out they're obsoleted now by......whatever new standard they had for RMQ (a cancelled cringey "quake 1 remake") and now Quakespasm to support big maps. Cue this xkcd. It'll run Marcher Fortress but it definitely won't run the beautiful output Sock is doing these days unfortunately.

I also tried to doll up support for ye old Transfusion 1.01 to make it more Blood-ish. I nearly had the shrooms effect working :D
Posted Image

and then more important priorities(like doing art for a game that actually has an audience) took over.

This post has been edited by leilei: 21 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

RetroAhoy's back with an excellent hour-long look at Quake.

User is offline   Lunick 

Watching this reminded me that I completely forgot Quake doesn't have an automap, hah.

Duke3d had a couple, but how often did you need to use it?

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options