Duke4.net Forums: Quake corner. - Duke4.net Forums

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

View PostDuke Rocks, on 17 May 2016 - 07:02 AM, said:

That name reminds me of the "Dick Nickem Whenever" Unreal TC I was working on way back when, before I got a C&D notice from Siegler.

How does it look like?

Also, here's the action figures BlackCat was talking about

Posted Image

If only games today get action figures too instead of collector's edition's figures.

User is offline   Malgon 

Is that meant to be the Shambler on the end of the first line of figures? :)

This post has been edited by Malgon: 17 May 2016 - 05:45 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMalgon, on 17 May 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Is that meant to be the Shambler on the end of the first line of figures? :D

I'm scared :)

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

We have all the Quake II figures... and I think there is a full set of new ones also.

MrBlackCat

This post has been edited by MrBlackCat: 18 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View Postleilei, on 15 May 2016 - 05:35 PM, said:

Also a project of this scope requires an artistic visionary with technical art experience to make it work.

I would like to think that there's enough community talent to pull that off, provided there's sufficient interest and motivation, and also the project is managed well.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 18 May 2016 - 12:04 AM

User is offline   Cage 

View PostMalgon, on 17 May 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Is that meant to be the Shambler on the end of the first line of figures? :)

I think that's the "mutant" enemy from Q2 (or however it was called) - it's this creature that jumps at you and fight melee only, you can find it only in few levels in caves.

View PostMrFlibble, on 18 May 2016 - 12:04 AM, said:

I would like to think that there's enough community talent to pull that off, provided there's sufficient interest and motivation, and also the project is managed well.

Keep in mind that it's not just about the asset creation but art direction as well :D

This post has been edited by Cage: 18 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostPikaCommando, on 17 May 2016 - 05:41 PM, said:

How does it look like?

I don't have any screens left but it was pretty amateurish, as I was a very n00b level designer at the time. All I had was an extremely crude recreation of the church and ghost town, as depicted in the 1999 PC Gamer article. In fact, literally my biggest accomplishment back then was the C&D Joe sent me because it apparently meant that my brush work was accurate enough to constitute "copyright infringement". :) Also, Wieder sent me a very kind and polite PM complimenting it, as he was the original creator of those in-game areas. I suppose he was acknowledging that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery....even if the imitation is rather poor! He's a good man.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I've got the Quake II marine action figure, with the barracuda and Hyperblaster
When I was a kid, like 7, I had the Duke Nukem action figure as a stocking stuffer. I played the hell out of it, the only other figures I had that were the same size were all X-Men, so he was the unofficial Punisher. Alas, most of the guns ended up either chewed up or lost, and Duke himself lost limbs before ultimately being thrown out.
I used to play Duke 64, and me and my brother would play it co-op and I loved playing Dukematch with bots. I loaded it up a year or two ago, with the same memory card we had in the 90's, and low and behold, we still had a co-op save around 3/4 of the way through the game.
We played Quake 64 as well, and I remember the multiplayer being really fun (this was before we had a PC that could run it and do online) I remember one map had a trap floor that lead to water, and I would always screen look and see him go in it and use the thunder gun underwater. I would also play it by myself split screen, run around with the axe and pretend to be mining for stuff in the levels. Its like I played Minecraft before it ever existed

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 18 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

User is offline   deuxsonic 

https://jobs.zenimax...itions/view/920

It looks like Quake may be the next game into the reboot machine.

User is offline   LkMax 

View Postleilei, on 16 May 2016 - 05:25 PM, said:

i'd rather see a new dangerous dave than a quake tbh

with dave they could ash him and take him into what quake used to be with wit and personality to contrast against the marine in hell trope

and kids love alliterative names these days!!! and since it's a 23 years dormant franchise, it's perfect to bait the pretentious retro dorks into the market demographic, because "only 90 kid rember this" AND the younger "dave is softdisk the beta's name for iD (pronounce Eye Dee) software" folk

The "one true quake" is 20 years old, so your hipster kids can still feel like pretentious hipsters if a new non-strogg quake is rebooted.
On the other hand I know it would never be the Quake I'd like to do myself.

View Postdeuxsonic, on 20 May 2016 - 04:44 AM, said:

https://jobs.zenimax...itions/view/920

It looks like Quake may be the next game into the reboot machine.

Please don't fuck it up.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The "one true Quake" sucks.

Where do you get Quake from that job application?

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 May 2016 - 06:56 AM, said:

The "one true Quake" sucks.

At least it doesn't pretend to have a good story, unlike Star Wars VII.   ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

This post has been edited by LkMax: 20 May 2016 - 03:34 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

:)

Posted Image

User is offline   leilei 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 20 May 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

Where do you get Quake from that job application?

"DOOM and QUAKE" has been part of the "id software a bethesda brand" calling card since 2009 now and was also used for Rage because the claim can be only made when Tim Willits is part of the company.

Doesn't stop reddit's young quake fans from believing what they want to hear though.

And if there is a new Quake game...

given how divided the qommunity already is from the past sequels and the "pro cometitive gaming" scene and their divisive cliques, I can't see nothing but backlash with whatever direction they take it in. If they go the lovecraftian route, it'll be brand confusion with Bethesda's other games. If they go the Strogg route, all the kids will cry it's not true Quake. If they go any route that has texturing and a lack of exploitful physics, then pros will cry (they are already butthurt enough from Quake4's presence of modern graphics technology, and more recently the $10 pricetag on Quake Live)

This post has been edited by leilei: 20 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

Whenever I think of Quake vs Quake 2, I always remember this excellent Let's Play
http://bd.baldurk.org/lp/38

User is offline   Hank 

^ this needs a Flash Player, I don't have it anymore. Posted Image

As for Quake 1 vs Quake 2, both?
Posted Image
getting almost killed sleeping for a minute

Posted Image
capturing the actors instead of killing them.

I like both Quake games.

This post has been edited by Hank: 20 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

I didn't even realise Quake 2 had co-op lol

User is offline   leilei 

Co-op arrived later in the 3.14 point release patch. It initially shipped with deathmatch (on the sp levels) only

User is offline   Lunick 

PC Gamer Warehouse
Posted Image

Is there an archive with digital copies of all of those old issues?

User is offline   LkMax 

View Postleilei, on 20 May 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

If they go the lovecraftian route, it'll be brand confusion with Bethesda's other games.

Nah, name it "Quake Dimensions" or "Quake Runes" or some other shit and you somehow get to differentiate them.

If they go the Strogg route, all the kids will cry it's not true Quake.

Does the Strogg games even have a fanbase? I don't know of any "Stroggdicted" or more than 2 completed sourceports.

If they go any route that has texturing and a lack of exploitful physics, then pros will cry (they are already butthurt enough from Quake4's presence of modern graphics technology, and more recently the $10 pricetag on Quake Live)

Texturing can be easly disabled in the options menu and exploit physics can be improved with new well thought out player moves. The "pro" scene will always have someone complaining of the slight small insignificant change, because some people don't like to get out of their confort zone, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be any new game just because of that (e.g. Counter-Strike).

View PostLkMax, on 21 May 2016 - 06:06 AM, said:

Does the Strogg games even have a fanbase? I don't know of any "Stroggdicted" or more than 2 completed sourceports.

iirc contemporary reviews praised the graphics and how much fun they had in online deathmatching but criticized the lack of originality in the SP campaign (and finally knowing how vital Romero was to id). imo Strogg architecture is one of the most unique things to come out from id, even more so than the Lovecraftian theme from Quake 1 (but I'd take the Nailgun over the SMG any day).

A new Quake should just combine the Quake 1 and Quake 2/4 themes.
Start off fighting Strogg on their homeworld, find out they have portals leading to other dimensions, and then have levels taking place in Cthulhu-like medieval environments, with creatures like the Shamblers fighting the Strogg, who are also fighting you.
The first level in each episode of Quake 1 was a futuristic sci-fi level with a portal leading to the medieval levels anyways, so throw the Strogg in there!

• The Sarien Encounter

There aren't enough shooters that pit three separate parties against eachother (you, and two other factions). Half-Life did this and it was great. I love that idea.

User is offline   Lunick 

With the Saturn release, Lobotomy had to remake the entire game on the Slavedriver engine which was the work of Ezra Dreisbach originally made for the Saturn and PS1 versions of Powerslave/Exhumed (with some interesting replacement secret levels I might add). It's a true 3D engine but playing games that use it, you get the impression that it was a great struggle to get working. The Saturn uses quads instead of triangles (Ezra complained about this in an interview) which, along with the architecture of the Saturn, made things more difficult (and things like looking left and right while up against a wall and getting that distorted look makes me wonder what kind of hacks he had to use just to get something that kind of worked.) Having played it, it kind of feels like Quake but at the same time it feels very different. This was also true of the remake of Duke Nukem 3D on Slavedriver for Saturn.

According to Ezra they had a complete remake of Quake for the PS1 as well but they couldn't secure a publisher so it was never released.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 30 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostLkMax, on 21 May 2016 - 06:06 AM, said:

There have been a shit tone of source ports for Quake 2. The game was HUGE from 97 to around 04-05. Great mods, too. One of the largest Machinima communities ever was in the Quake 2 community.

Quake IV on the under hand was pretty what Doom 3 to the Classic Doom's was in terms of popularity. Not nearly as, but still successful.

Quake 4, like DOOM 3, tried to put a more realistic spin on the given IP. I thought both were great. Quake 4 did a better job of showing how fucked up the Strogg were with the experiments and uses for humans they captured. I've mentioned this before I believe, but I think a huge mistake they made in talking about the game pre-release was revealing the huge twist halfway through, which would have been a lot more interesting to stumble upon without having been told it was there.

I thought Q2 did that better, with the prisoners crawling in the meat production line to be gibbed into Strogg juice.

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options