Duke4.net Forums: Modding Will Find a Way... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modding Will Find a Way...

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I found this recently and I thought it was interesting. Maybe there WILL be a way to make Duke mods in the future?

Looks like they have been quietly beavering away on the original Duke Mod for SS3.

Courtesy of the talented Mr. Kaffeebohnson

http://forums.seriou...?t=65751&page=3

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 06 November 2015 - 06:45 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

That thread is full of awesome.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Unlike DNF Serious Sam actually comes with some modding tools.
Extracting the model data from DNF and importing it into another game that has tools for it allows this, trying it the other way around (crap into DNF) is never going to be easy.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

How long until they get a cease & desist from Gearbox?

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 November 2015 - 08:37 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

...now that you've linked it on THESE forums.

But it's awesome.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 November 2015 - 10:50 PM

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 06 November 2015 - 10:48 PM, said:

...now that you've linked it on THESE forums.

But it's awesome.

My thoughts exactly. The letter will be in the mail on Monday.

Meaning we have all weekend to get a copy :)

http://steamcommunit...es/?appid=41070

This post has been edited by Drek: 07 November 2015 - 06:27 AM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I want to know how they pulled stuff out of the DLC.

The DLC files don't extract with Noesis.

Never played DNF, but if Cycloid is the same as in Duke3D, having it in SS3-style gameplay would be hectic. Like a Biomech with WAY more firepower. :)

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I hate Gearbox for trying to shut down everybody's fan projects. What exactly do they think they're protecting against? They should take the route Nintendo has recently... they gave up trying to C&D fan projects and let them do their thing, sometimes even encouraging it.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I found this on SS3s Steam workshop months ago, I was going to put together a cool trailer to show it off but my shitty editing program kept fucking up and then my external hard drive failed(AGAIN!!!) and I lost all the footage and I couldn't be bothered playing through the whole game again with that low framerate(the mod really takes a chomp outta your PCs performance).

• Polymancer

I wanted to play this, but a lot of it requires the SS3 DLC, which I don't have.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTea Monster, on 14 November 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

I wanted to play this, but a lot of it requires the SS3 DLC, which I don't have.

The Bonus Pack or Jewel of the Nile? Either way I'd buy it for you.

• The Sarien Encounter

The bonus pack doesn't add anything to the game, does it? I thought it was just bonus digital "box goodies".

• Polymancer

Yeah, but the guy who modded the DNF stuff created dependencies for the DLC in the pack. If you don't have it, then it won't run. Certain ones will, but I didn't have the patience to sort through them all.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 14 November 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

The bonus pack doesn't add anything to the game, does it? I thought it was just bonus digital "box goodies".

I think the only thing the Bonus Pack adds to the actual game is a Sniper Scope added to the Devastator and a multiplayer skin.

I'm pretty sure it would be just the Jewel of the Nile DLC that is required then.

Posted Image

PM me your email :)

• The Sarien Encounter

Posted Image

• Polymancer

That is really good of you, thank you! :)

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

This is pretty old now :) But I had fun on it back in March

http://steamcommunit...01360818183130/

View PostStrikerMan780, on 08 November 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

I hate Gearbox for trying to shut down everybody's fan projects. What exactly do they think they're protecting against? They should take the route Nintendo has recently... they gave up trying to C&D fan projects and let them do their thing, sometimes even encouraging it.

While I agree with you on principle, when you have millions of dollars behind something you protect it vigorously. We should all just get over DNF, it is a pile of shit, held together by failed dreams and stupid luck. The engine is a mess, the assets are a mess. Yes you can grab the assets and plug it into another engine, but you will get a C&D from Gearbox.

Modding DNF has no future in it, and people should stop wasting there time with it. Content guys on here should be trying to re-create some of those assets and make a eduke mod out of it. If your going to spend your time working on something, make sure you won't get sued for releasing it.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 18 November 2015 - 07:35 AM

• Auramancer

Trying to make an EDuke Mod in the hopes of making something modern will always feel half-assed, a vague imitation, or overall out of place unless EDuke gets Skeletal Animation (with animation blending) and Physics (For objects and ragdolls), where it'll actually feel like a modern engine. It doesn't help that a lot of things in Build feel awfully janky and stiff in comparison to say, the IDTech and Unreal engines.

Take DNF 2013 for example... while I like it, and it is a good mod in it's own right, it'll never feel like the true Duke3D sequel I've been waiting for. At the end of the day, it just feels like another Duke3D mod, not something entirely new in a true-3D engine like DNF 2001 was going to be.

By the way, who can legitimately say the engine is a mess unless they've seen the source? It's not like DNF is poorly optimized, ran perfectly fine for me on nearly decade-old hardware. The console versions were a mess though, load times were ass, buggy as fuck, and slow/terrible FPS. The only thing that is really fucked in the PC version is the fact they stripped out the console that had proper tab-completion. There's some MP bugs needing fixing too. As for whether or not it has a future? It could if they weren't total dicks and released the tools. Can't be any worse than those out there still making Daikatana mods. Hell, I wouldn't mind that... people have made it a playable game through mods, DNF could have used the same treatment.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 18 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

• Polymancer

Looking at the game assets and trying to piece together a complete model from a rather strange array of different map types and formatting - just for one game asset - I can safely say that it was a mess. That and the weird array of post-processing effects and how they actually seemed to reduce image quality - mehhh.

I have to thank icecoldduke for trying to help with Polymer issues, but that isn't going to turn EDuke into a modern gaming engine. The renderer is only half the problem with EDuke32. That isn't anyone's fault - the engine is built on the core of 2.5D tech, so it isn't supposed to support modern workflows.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 18 November 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

By the way, who can legitimately say the engine is a mess unless they've seen the source? It's not like DNF is poorly optimized, ran perfectly fine for me on nearly decade-old hardware. The console versions were a mess though, load times were ass, buggy as fuck, and slow/terrible FPS. The only thing that is really fucked in the PC version is the fact they stripped out the console that had proper tab-completion. There's some MP bugs needing fixing too. As for whether or not it has a future? It could if they weren't total dicks and released the tools. Can't be any worse than those out there still making Daikatana mods. Hell, I wouldn't mind that... people have made it a playable game through mods, DNF could have used the same treatment.

They fucked up their level editor to the point were the content guys could barely use it. That's all the evidence I need.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 18 November 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

Trying to make an EDuke Mod in the hopes of making something modern will always feel half-assed, a vague imitation, or overall out of place unless EDuke gets Skeletal Animation (with animation blending) and Physics (For objects and ragdolls), where it'll actually feel like a modern engine. It doesn't help that a lot of things in Build feel awfully janky and stiff in comparison to say, the IDTech and Unreal engines.

Tea Monster said:

I have to thank icecoldduke for trying to help with Polymer issues, but that isn't going to turn EDuke into a modern gaming engine. The renderer is only half the problem with EDuke32. That isn't anyone's fault - the engine is built on the core of 2.5D tech, so it isn't supposed to support modern workflows.

I never understood this mentality, there is no technical reason why build/eduke32 can't become a modern engine. There was no technical reason why John Carmack heavily refactored the Doom engine into what became Quake, besides it was interesting to do. Rendering/Platform engineers such as myself like re-writing code, and that has to stop. It takes a lot of discipline to say "System X doesn't need to be re-done, it has shipped multiple games, it is a time tested system...why fuck with it?". Build has a lot thing's going for it. I have worked professionally in all the big engines out there, and truth be told I like a lot of what build has to offer.

Adding in a physics system and skeletal animation isn't difficult, and the engine could handle it easily. It will just take time. To say that eduke/build can't become a modern engine is just wrong. We are all doing this for free in our spare time. If we were getting paid for it, and had a few other full time paid guys working on the engine, I think we could easily bring build into current gen. So content wouldn't be a "vague imitation".

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 19 November 2015 - 07:50 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is it worth investing a huge amount of time trying to make build modern when there are so many other engines already out there that currently do this stuff?

I'll shut up since I'd like to see physics and skeletal animation Posted Image

• Auramancer

View PostMicky C, on 19 November 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Is it worth investing a huge amount of time trying to make build modern when there are so many other engines already out there that currently do this stuff?

I'll shut up since I'd like to see physics and skeletal animation Posted Image

It's worth it for the main reason that it's the only way we can make our own modern Duke without Gearbox suing the pants off of everyone involved.

View PostStrikerMan780, on 23 November 2015 - 04:16 AM, said:

It's worth it for the main reason that it's the only way we can make our own modern Duke without Gearbox suing the pants off of everyone involved.

Correct.

• Auramancer

View Posticecoldduke, on 19 November 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

They fucked up their level editor to the point were the content guys could barely use it. That's all the evidence I need.

Forgot to say this earlier, but all that tells me is they cobbled together their tools, throwing them together as they needed them for the various proprietary formats they created. I've seen this happen with several games, Source Engine included. (The Source SDK used to be a horrendous fucking mess. Fine now, but man... when it started out, fuck. The engine itself was reasonably fine at the time however. Content creation is what the nightmare was.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 24 November 2015 - 03:44 AM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 24 November 2015 - 03:44 AM, said:

Forgot to say this earlier, but all that tells me is they cobbled together their tools, throwing them together as they needed them for the various proprietary formats they created. I've seen this happen with several games, Source Engine included. (The Source SDK used to be a horrendous fucking mess. Fine now, but man... when it started out, fuck. The engine itself was reasonably fine at the time however. Content creation is what the nightmare was.)

There using a heavily modified Unreal engine(what was it 1.9?), if they fucked up UnrealED to the point were it wasn't usable, IMO that's all I need to know. They definitely fucked with all the underlying systems(rendering, UnrealScript System, etc), I doubt they did a heavy refactoring of UnrealED, hence that gives me a good indication of how bad the code base actually is. If UnrealED is crashing its because of all the bullshit they did to the rest of the engine.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 24 November 2015 - 05:15 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

What? I thought Source was based on GoldSource which was based on Quake 1.

• Auramancer

View Posticecoldduke, on 24 November 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

There using a heavily modified Unreal engine(what was it 1.9?), if they fucked up UnrealED to the point were it wasn't usable, IMO that's all I need to know. They definitely fucked with all the underlying systems(rendering, UnrealScript System, etc), I doubt they did a heavy refactoring of UnrealED, hence that gives me a good indication of how bad the code base actually is. If UnrealED is crashing its because of all the bullshit they did to the rest of the engine.

I know DNF uses a heavily modified Unreal. But, regarding the state of the editor, where are you even getting your information from? Sounds like nothing but made-up speculation to me. The only time I heard something remotely like that is an anonymous poster who claimed to be Ex-3DR, but there was no proof of it's authenticity. Everything else I heard about DNF was just really poor management, which was no fault of the engine itself. The only real bad thing I've heard about the engine is that it was built on an old foundation, so by 2011, it was very underwhelming tech-wise.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 24 November 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

What? I thought Source was based on GoldSource which was based on Quake 1.

It is.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 24 November 2015 - 06:05 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Then why did icecoldduke say it was based on Unreal? Or am I missing something and being stupid jumping into a conversation in the middle?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options