Duke4.net Forums: System Shock: Enhanced Edition released on GOG - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System Shock: Enhanced Edition released on GOG

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Here's footage from the KS demo. The inventory UI looks pretty bad. :P

One of the developers is unhappy with Polygon's recording.

Polygon released a video of our SS remake demo and everyone thinks they're playing with a gamepad even though they move things w/ mouse. I like Polygon as a publication but I wish they got people who can aim a bit better to record gameplay videos :S

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

First Doom and now SS. For goodness' sake, Polygon.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 27 June 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=v_uJ47oKHY0

One of the developers is unhappy with Polygon's recording.

If this video is supposed to help with Kickstarter, ehmm, good luck.

User is offline   Lunick 

How Polygon is still around still baffles me.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

GAMES R HARD

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 27 June 2016 - 12:47 PM, said:

Night Dive noted in the comments that the inventory UI is a placeholder.
But yeah, Polygon is hilariously shitty at games

Steam page is live. Features a new trailer.

After two decades, Nightdive Studios is rebooting and re-imagining the original System Shock. We will keep the new game true to the classic experience, keeping all the things you loved while giving today's gamers the modern look and feel expected from a great game.

With the help of members of the original team, including the original Voice Actor of SHODAN, Terri Brosius, Citadel Station has never been more immersive or terrifying!

“When you’re working on a game, you tend not to think about how people will feel about it 20 years later – or if people will even remember it! The announcement of the System Shock update from Nightdive (and the upcoming System Shock 3 I’m working on) it’s apparent that not only do people remember, they care very deeply about the game. Back when we were working on the original, we wanted to make a simulation-based game that would empower players to tell their own stories through their playstyle choices – an idea that’s still totally relevant today. I’ve long said that if you updated the graphics, sound and UI on System Shock you’d have something that competes directly with any game on the market today. Now the Nightdive folks are doing that update and I’m confident my prediction will be validated. SHODAN demands that you support this so we can all find out.” --Warren Spector, OtherSide Entertainment. Producer on the original System Shock.

You're a renowned hacker, the most notorious cyberspace thief in the corporate world. Caught during a risky break-in, you become indentured to a greedy TriOptimum executive. After six months in a healing coma, you awaken to the twisted aftermath of a terrible disaster. Where are the surgeons? Why is the station in such disrepair? Slowly, the chilling realization that something is very wrong creeps over you. Once a prime corporate research facility, Citadel Station now teems with mindless cyborgs, robots and terribly mutated beings, all programmed to serve SHODAN, a ruthless A.I. There's scarcely time to think before it unleashes the first terror...

“The crew at NightDive heroically brought the original versions of System Shock and System Shock 2 back into circulation. They have thrived as a new audience has rediscovered these classics. Now NightDive is remastering the original System Shock to bring it up to date on modern PC’s - with fully updated visuals, audio and a modern interface – making it dramatically more accessible to modern gamers. It’s quite wonderful to see a franchise that Warren and I helped create get such loving care." --Paul Neurath, Founder of OtherSide Entertainment. Co-founder of Looking Glass Studios.

User is offline   xenoxols 

I really like how it looks, but It's kind of weird that the areas are 1:1 compared to the original. I really want cheery music like the original in parts of the game. Maybe because I'm playing it now, but system shock 1 does not feel anything like a horror game, barring the creepy voice acting.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostLunick, on 27 June 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

How Polygon is still around still baffles me.

Posted Image

It's Polygon, I'm pretty sure they secretly hate games and gamers.

User is offline   LkMax 

lol at the guy who tried to put a pistol magazine into a M4 rifle.
The one with moonlight sonata edited into the background must be a parody, I refuse to believe otherwise. He hate guns and decides to review a gun-centric VR game? That's like me reviewing a soccer or baseball game.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 28 June 2016 - 12:37 PM

Kickstarter page is up. Pledges aren't exactly moving super fast. If it's funded, there's going to be so many Shock-derivatives in the next couple of years: Routine, Prey, System Shock 3, and this remake. I played through the demo, and aside from the fiddly unnecessary hand-animations, thought it was decent. If you encounter performances issues on Steam, remember to disable the overlay (worked for me at least).

Scope Features :P

→ $900k Goal: Modern Inventory Management, Modern Controls, New Puzzles, Updated Faithful Levels, Game Difficulty Modes.
→ $1.7m Goal : Enemy limb dismemberment, More puzzles, Ammo types/weapon settings, Vending machines, Basic crafting/research, RPG leveling with perks/skills, Weapon upgrading, Hardcore mode

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 28 June 2016 - 02:29 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Demo available on GoG, Steam and Humble Bundle. The latter doesn't need login to download:
https://www.humblebu...re/system-shock

This post has been edited by LkMax: 28 June 2016 - 02:00 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostLkMax, on 28 June 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

lol at the guy who tried to put a pistol magazine into a M4 rifle.
The one with moonlight sonata edited into the background must be a parody, I refuse to believe otherwise. He hate guns and decides to review a gun-centric VR game? That's like me reviewing a soccer or baseball game.

It's not a parody, it's Polygon's Ben Kuchera... he's a complete and total degenerate. The sad music was just edited in to poke fun, because that's just how he actually is.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 28 June 2016 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Hey, that's the same douche who did the DNF review for Ars Technica and wrote the total fabrication that the game forced you to shoot women to proceed.

View PostTerminX, on 28 June 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

Hey, that's the same douche who did the DNF review for Ars Technica and wrote the total fabrication that the game forced you to shoot women to proceed.

That is aload of horse shit I played the game your are NOT force to shoot the women, You can pass them without killing them.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDemon Duke, on 28 June 2016 - 04:00 PM, said:

That is aload of horse shit I played the game your are NOT force to shoot the women, You can pass them without killing them.

You're a little late to the party.
You can say you shot the Holesome twins as one of them has a little Duke baby in her when they explode

• el fundador

They explode on their own at the conclusion of their lines. The only way anyone can come up with the mistaken idea that the game forces you to shoot them is if the player is the kind of person who shoots a female character while she's talking.

Ben is a grade A douchebag who makes up whatever he wants, as long as it suits his social justice agenda, which in itself is a total farce. I have no idea whether or not he's found anyone pathetic enough to marry him, but if he has, they probably fuck him in the ass.

I guess your right your force to kill the twins off by starting that scene, I wish there was a different ending to DNF say you get to the twins fast enough like under 40 mins Duke gets areward at the end of the game.

This post has been edited by Demon Duke: 28 June 2016 - 04:19 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

View PostDemon Duke, on 28 June 2016 - 04:11 PM, said:

I guess your right your force to kill the twins off by starting that scene, I wish there was a different ending to DNF say you get to the twins fast enough like under 40 mins Duke gets areward at the end of the game.

The damn aliens that end up capturing/teleporting them have god mode! At least pretend like I have a chance to save them.
Also, I find it a bit humorous the System Shock Remake demo has a Unity Personal splash screen

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 28 June 2016 - 05:34 PM

If you go back further people were saying similar stuff about Duke3d, that you're rewarded for killing women.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 28 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

View Postdeuxsonic, on 28 June 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

If you go back further people were saying similar stuff about Duke3d, that you're rewarded for killing women.

It's a game; I never understood why people make such a big deal of stuff like this in games.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 28 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View Postdeuxsonic, on 28 June 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Yeah, I remember, but unlike DNF, at that time when, the betterment of society creeps spoke out, Duke3D was a hit.
https://www.amazon.c...l/dp/0609606131

Also, they got it wrong, in Duke3D you did not get rewards, you actually got punished shooting the dancers. Posted Image

I never saw it as much of a punishment myself as I tend to go through and kill everything to get the maximum number of killed enemies.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

So, I'm becoming very skeptical about this whole thing. Their stretch goals include destroying the game's very core by adding weapon and item crafting and lite RPG elements like character leveling. These things have absolute no place in the game. I was already very upset about their use of shitty ambient music (without the complementing environmental ambient effects, making the game sound dead inside), with that terrible movie sting at the end of the demo that sounded like someone composed their first Alien ripoff motif.

Well luckily, in preparation for the game's release, I've been doing some experimentation with Unity game modding.
Within five minutes, I can already mod it:

Posted Image

The entire UnityEngine namespace is at my disposal.
Tempted to add in the original soundtrack

User is offline   trustn0! 

View PostTerminX, on 28 June 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Ben is a grade A douchebag who makes up whatever he wants, as long as it suits his social justice agenda, which in itself is a total farce. I have no idea whether or not he's found anyone pathetic enough to marry him, but if he has, they probably fuck him in the ass.

Slight correction. He'd much rather see other people fuck his partner.
Spoiler

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTerminX, on 28 June 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

I have no idea whether or not he's found anyone pathetic enough to marry him, but if he has, they probably fuck him in the ass.

Hey man, there's nothing wrong with pegging.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLkMax, on 28 June 2016 - 12:34 PM, said:

He hate guns and decides to review a gun-centric VR game? That's like me reviewing a soccer or baseball game.

Which is perfectly fine. You'll have a subjective review either way. Having someone not liking the genre to review game in that genre would actually be a good idea if you want that kind of opinion from "outsider". It's not objective anyway so you'll decide on your own how to interpret reviewer's assessment.

Of course, if I'm interested in knowing how good is gun emulation I'd rather listen to someone knowledgeable. If I don't care and just want to know how much "fun" it is, then it wouldn't matter.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 29 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

• el fundador

View PostHendricks266, on 29 June 2016 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hey man, there's nothing wrong with pegging.

But what fun is it to be the bottom every time?

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options